Reading Comp Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsk26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my dat coming up in about 2 weeks and have been trying to find a way to boost my rc score which is averaging around 18. I have used all of bootcamps test and qvaults test. Is there any recommendations for any other resources to use?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I echo the above sentiments. The trick to reading is to be able to quickly comprehend what is presented in front of you, and write a few words about each paragraph. Read a bit each day and you should be good to go. 23 RCT here on the real test, for reference. I finished it in ~35 minutes, which was very weird.

I'd avoid crack dat reading btw. Honestly, all you need is bootcamp. Ari's suggestion of reading articles from Scientific American each day is great. It gets you into the mode of being presented something you (probably) don't want to read, and forces you to quickly go through it and see if you can maintain the main points in your head. Trick yourself into being interested in the content. It's significantly easier to retain information if you are interested in the topic.

I echo the above sentiments. The trick to reading is to be able to quickly comprehend what is presented in front of you, and write a few words about each paragraph. Read a bit each day and you should be good to go. 23 RCT here on the real test, for reference. I finished it in ~35 minutes, which was very weird.

I'd avoid crack dat reading btw. Honestly, all you need is bootcamp. Ari's suggestion of reading articles from Scientific American each day is great. It gets you into the mode of being presented something you (probably) don't want to read, and forces you to quickly go through it and see if you can maintain the main points in your head. Trick yourself into being interested in the content. It's significantly easier to retain information if you are interested in the topic.

Thanks for the advice. I want to figure out a different method from what I am doing now which is looking at the first 5 or so questions and writing the key word down for each, but when I get to the later questions that are earlier in the passage I have a hard time trying to find what I read earlier on. I have used all of Bootcamps rc tests and wanted to do others (but ones that are actually like the test or just good practice.) Do you have any suggestions? I think I'm having an issue with the questions rather than understanding the passage. When you read the passage do you skim it while you read, if not is there a method that you recommend when reading the passage? I'm not a fast reader so I am just trying to find out what works.

Thanks for the advice. I want to figure out a different method from what I am doing now which is looking at the first 5 or so questions and writing the key word down for each, but when I get to the later questions that are earlier in the passage I have a hard time trying to find what I read earlier on. I have used all of Bootcamps rc tests and wanted to do others (but ones that are actually like the test or just good practice.) Do you have any suggestions? I think I'm having an issue with the questions rather than understanding the passage. When you read the passage do you skim it while you read, if not is there a method that you recommend when reading the passage? I'm not a fast reader so I am just trying to find out what works.
I look for the important words and highlight the longer details after. So I'm not reading it completely. Also @Wolfbarker , 35 min is insane!! I took about 50-55 and checked stuff over at the end. Do you number the paragraphs and stuff? Usually, stuff like dates or names can be asked too so I like writing them down.

Reactions: 1 user
I look for the important words and highlight the longer details after. So I'm not reading it completely. Also @Wolfbarker , 35 min is insane!! I took about 50-55 and checked stuff over at the end. Do you number the paragraphs and stuff? Usually, stuff like dates or names can be asked too so I like writing them down.
I didn't think you can highlight.

Thanks! I got lucky with easy passages, I think. I wrote down numbers for the paragraphs during my break. While reading the article, if I saw an important name I'd write it down. After each paragraph, I viciously scribbled 1 or 2 key words without looking away from the screen. I doubt anyone that isn't me would be able to read my RCT notes lol.

During the actual DAT, I didn't do that after my first passage because they seemed so easy. I don't recommend breaking technique during the test, but it somehow worked out for me.

I didn't think you can highlight.

It's a new feature that was just implemented a few months ago. I can confirm that you can highlight during RCT. I didn't use it because I didn't practice with it, but it is available. They teach you how to do it during the tutorial. Don't skip the tutorial.

Thanks! I got lucky with easy passages, I think. I wrote down numbers for the paragraphs during my break. While reading the article, if I saw an important name I'd write it down. After each paragraph, I viciously scribbled 1 or 2 key words without looking away from the screen. I doubt anyone that isn't me would be able to read my RCT notes lol.

During the actual DAT, I didn't do that after my first passage because they seemed so easy. I don't recommend breaking technique during the test, but it somehow worked out for me.
Breaking technique?

Do you think it's not bad idea to retake a practice test I already took, so I can experiment with my strategy? Or will it not be a good idea since I took it already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think it's not bad idea to retake a practice test I already took, so I can experiment with my strategy? Or will it not be a good idea since I took it already?
never hurts to retry. but a better way would be read scientific american articles and try and uncover the main idea and key points. this helped me immensely.

More practice never hurts, but I agree with @LuckBloodandSweat here. Retaking tests doesn't work for me because I would remember a surprising amount of the answers. All through undergrad that was a thing I tried to avoid when studying for classes.

Most importantly: do what works for you! Find a strategy that works, practice consistently, and go kill the DAT. You've got this!

More practice never hurts, but I agree with @LuckBloodandSweat here. Retaking tests doesn't work for me because I would remember a surprising amount of the answers. All through undergrad that was a thing I tried to avoid when studying for classes.

Most importantly: do what works for you! Find a strategy that works, practice consistently, and go kill the DAT. You've got this!

Thanks! I have used up just about of all of my resources for the rc, thats why I was wondering about retaking tests just to work on strategy. Do you have suggestions?
I used bootcamp and qvault, also did the sample one on Genius.

Thanks! I have used up just about of all of my resources for the rc, thats why I was wondering about retaking tests just to work on strategy. Do you have suggestions?
I used bootcamp and qvault, also did the sample one on Genius.

The only resources I used were some of the bootcamp tests and I was reading articles online each day (like bootcamp's schedule suggests). It's more of a marathon than a sprint for RC - do a little each day and space out the practice exams. I didn't use the other sources you listed, but I've heard good things about Genius.

As for skimming the paragraphs, I just practiced reading each day. I got my reading speed as fast as it could go while still comprehending what I was reading - that is the trick. It doesn't matter if you can get through an article in 2 minutes if you have no idea what you just read. Again, though, it's important to figure out what works for you. My strategies might not help at all and that's ok! Do what works for you.

The only resources I used were some of the bootcamp tests and I was reading articles online each day (like bootcamp's schedule suggests). It's more of a marathon than a sprint for RC - do a little each day and space out the practice exams. I didn't use the other sources you listed, but I've heard good things about Genius.

As for skimming the paragraphs, I just practiced reading each day. I got my reading speed as fast as it could go while still comprehending what I was reading - that is the trick. It doesn't matter if you can get through an article in 2 minutes if you have no idea what you just read. Again, though, it's important to figure out what works for you. My strategies might not help at all and that's ok! Do what works for you.

I know this isn't reading comp related but did you do the QR tests on bootcamp? It seems pretty ridiculous. Is the DAT easier than bc?

I know this isn't reading comp related but did you do the QR tests on bootcamp? It seems pretty ridiculous. Is the DAT easier than bc?

QR seemed easier on the real thing compared to the couple of bootcamp tests I tried. QR was my only sub-20 score (18) though, so I'm not the person to be asking about QR... perhaps someone else can chime in. If I had to do it again, I would hit Math Destroyer heavily early in my studying. That seems to be the way to pull up your score.

i agree with above. the bootcamp qr exams were deff easier than math destroyer but still harder than the real DAT. the bootcamp math questions were a tad harder. i did all 10 in the 2 weeks before my exam scoring 18-21 on them. on the real dat i got a 23 on QR. i thought bootcamp was much harder. if you dont know a question. skip it and come back. there are always easy qursions at the end of the exam so make sure you run through the exam once.

people who tell you qr is "exactly like math destroyer" are trying to make your scared. i couldn't finish a destroyer exam in 45 minutes. you should do all 17 if you can for practice but dont expect the real dat to look like that. they are good practice but are very hard. I'm still glad i did them bc it made the real dat cake. during the last 3 weeks of studying, i didn't touch it (math destroyer) from then on. i only did the bootcamp exams and went over them afterwards

i agree with above. the bootcamp qr exams were deff easier than math destroyer but still harder than the real DAT. the bootcamp math questions were a tad harder. i did all 10 in the 2 weeks before my exam scoring 18-21 on them. on the real dat i got a 23 on QR. i thought bootcamp was much harder. if you dont know a question. skip it and come back. there are always easy qursions at the end of the exam so make sure you run through the exam once.

people who tell you qr is "exactly like math destroyer" are trying to make your scared. i couldn't finish a destroyer exam in 45 minutes. you should do all 17 if you can for practice but dont expect the real dat to look like that. they are good practice but are very hard. I'm still glad i did them bc it made the real dat cake. during the last 3 weeks of studying, i didn't touch it (math destroyer) from then on. i only did the bootcamp exams and went over them afterwards
I finished a destroyer exam in like 31 min lmao... Sorry sorry... I'm still salty at how I did on the real QR even though Ik it's not important xD. Perhaps doing destroyer would reinforce things? I dont even know. Never got a 30 in practice with math; I always had to get one wrong :mad:.

Does anyone have an idea how dat destroyer's QR is in comparison to the real thing?

Does anyone have an idea how dat destroyer's QR is in comparison to the real thing?
much harder than the real dat. again, depends on which version you get it but the consensus is that it is much easier than destroyer. this is coming from someone who was scared by math destroyer from the beginning to the end. i got a 23 QR

much harder than the real dat. again, depends on which version you get it but the consensus is that it is much easier than destroyer. this is coming from someone who was scared by math destroyer from the beginning to the end. i got a 23 QR

Math destroyer is still giving me the hardest time. I just took test 15 and wanted to cry. I went through all the questions in dat destroyer for the qr and found it much easier. I have 2 test left with math destroyer and wasn't sure if i should do the last 2 or go through the dat destroyer qr again. My test is in 1 week, so i want to use my time wisely.

Math destroyer is still giving me the hardest time. I just took test 15 and wanted to cry. I went through all the questions in dat destroyer for the qr and found it much easier. I have 2 test left with math destroyer and wasn't sure if i should do the last 2 or go through the dat destroyer qr again. My test is in 1 week, so i want to use my time wisely.
i stopped using math destroyer like 3 weeks before my exam. i did like one bootcamp qr exam each night two weeks before my exam and i felt time. i would stop using math destroyer immediately.

i stopped using math destroyer like 3 weeks before my exam. i did like one bootcamp qr exam each night two weeks before my exam and i felt time. i would stop using math destroyer immediately.

Would you recommend to stop all dat destroyer for all sections as well? Since it's my last week before the test I want to make the best of my time. My main objective was to take the full lengths on bootcamp but wasn't 100% sure what else to do.

My exam is in week as well to be honest I listen to Nancy from Romano team and I believe she gave the best advise I don't think you should be doing practice exam week before the exam because it can build up anxiety and it can effect your state of mind! I believe you should just work on your weak points and try your best to go over destroyer! And review your notes. I don't think practice test would help you just because it can have negative impact that's all!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would you recommend to stop all dat destroyer for all sections as well? Since it's my last week before the test I want to make the best of my time. My main objective was to take the full lengths on bootcamp but wasn't 100% sure what else to do.
i would practice the chem and orgo a bit. maybe just read cliffs and go over weak points in bio. but definitely stop math destroyer, you're just stressing yourself out. i stopped 3 weeks before and it was a good idea

i would practice the chem and orgo a bit. maybe just read cliffs and go over weak points in bio. but definitely stop math destroyer, you're just stressing yourself out. i stopped 3 weeks before and it was a good idea
did you only use bootcamp to study the qr section prior to the test? what did you think was the best representation of the real thing?

did you only use bootcamp to study the qr section prior to the test? what did you think was the best representation of the real thing?
like i said before, i found bootcamp similar to the real thing. in fact i found it a wee but harder, my highest qr score on bootcamp was a 21. i got a 23 on the real dat. bootcamp also looks the most similar to the real dat. i would practice those and the qr problems in dat destroyer and youll be fine. you're worrying way too much about math, i was the same way. stop using math destroyer, i think you've gotten all you can from it, its only going to give you more anxiety. focus on bootcamp from now on

I too don't suggest people stick to math destroyer too long. Although, I should've used it more considering I thought I was good at math lol...