ready for brutally honest advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurepharm425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright so I am currently a senior at the University of Iowa. I will be graduating in May with a degree in Interdepartmental Studies focus in Health Science. I applied to 13 pharmacy schools via PharmCAS and My stats are as follows:
cumulative GPA: 2.26
Science: 1.88
Note about GPA's: The reason these are quite low, is because I did residency in the state of Iowa 2 years ago. I was a part time student and worked full time. by not doing well in the chem 2 class, it brought my gpa down a lot. and I have been climbing that GPA ladder ever since. But there is a huge uphill trend. I got a 4.0 in the summer, and this semester I am going to definitely make the dean's list (a few of my classes are already competed)
PCAT: will re-take in Nov.
Experience: certified tech at Wal-Mart for 14 months, volunteer at hospital in CVICU for 2 years, Dance Marathon Ambassador. I did 2 years of medical lab research for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in the department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics.
LOR's: I had a total of 4 LOR's for my application. 2 of them were by the Pharmacists I work with (one of them being the assistant manager), I had 1 from the Assistant Professor I did research for in the dept. of molecular physiology, and the last was by my Microbiology professor.
Personal Statement: I think I had a solid personal statement that was excellently written and well thought out. I spent a lot of time editing and truly trying to make my personal statement stand out.

I am currently enrolled in 18 hours here at the university, but I am also taking 13 credits at community college online and finished those classes with A's. I am getting straight A's in my classes now at Iowa, and I am almost done with 2 of them which are online. By the end of the fall term my Cumulative GPA will most likely be a 2.86 and my science GPA will most likely be a 2.55. If I completely dominate on the PCAT, will I get some interviews you think? This is where I applied:

1. University of Iowa College of Pharmacy
2. Midwestern University- Downers Grove
3. Midwestern University- Glendale Arizona
4. LECOM School of Pharmacy-
5. Mercer University
6. University of Michigan
7. Nova Southeastern University
8. Palm Beach Atlantic University
9. Roseman University
10. Shenandoah University
11. University of Houston
12. University of Illinois- Chicago

I had talked to some admissions counselors from these schools and they said that once I do the academic update, my application will be reconsidered and entered for consideration. I know everyone is going to tell me to not apply, but that ship has already sailed. I am determined to get in somewhere. I have the passion and motivation and drive to become a pharmacist, but the grades on a piece of paper don't do justice to who I am.
thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you sure you're estimating your science and cumulative gpa correctly? I'm asking because you said you're a senior and that your PharmCAS gpa are 2.26 cumulative and 1.88 science. From my experience, your grades will move very slightly even if you're getting 4.0 for several quarters/semesters straight. The reason is because you have so many units weighing you down. Many schools have their cutoffs at 2.5, so if you're not above that minimum, your application may not be looked at and you would waste your money applying. I hope I don't sound too discouraging, but you will need to be honest with yourself in terms of where you stand. By being honest with yourself, you can take the necessary course of action to improve your standing and make yourself a better applicant. From a student who is in very much the same boat as you, good luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you sure you're estimating your science and cumulative gpa correctly? I'm asking because you said you're a senior and that your PharmCAS gpa are 2.26 cumulative and 1.88 science. From my experience, your grades will move very slightly even if you're getting 4.0 for several quarters/semesters straight. The reason is because you have so many units weighing you down. Many schools have their cutoffs at 2.5, so if you're not above that minimum, your application may not be looked at and you would waste your money applying. I hope I don't sound too discouraging, but you will need to be honest with yourself in terms of where you stand. By being honest with yourself, you can take the necessary course of action to improve your standing and make yourself a better applicant. From a student who is in very much the same boat as you, good luck! :)

I have taken a total of 57 credits done and completed.. i had to withdraw from my sophomore year 2 semesters.
&& Well the reason I know those estimates is because I was on the phone with Pharmcas and they walked through my GPA summary with me and went through my planned course work for this semester. They didn't get to do all the detailed calculations but from the calculations we did those were the numbers. remember, repeated coursework is entered twice in pharmcas. also, it makes sense because im taking 18 hours +13 hours this semester, and 2 courses from the summer were In progress. I am finishing those up now.

When you said you're a senior and that you'll be graduating in May with a degree, I get the impression that you would have enough units for a bachelor's degree (I had 200+ units as a senior). However, if you only have 57 units, then your grades are definitely salvageable. Keep on getting those A's and you should be able to bring your gpa up relatively quickly. Also, study hard and do well on the PCAT and you should be fine. :)

When you said you're a senior and that you'll be graduating in May with a degree, I get the impression that you would have enough units for a bachelor's degree (I had 200+ units as a senior). However, if you only have 57 units, then your grades are definitely salvageable. Keep on getting those A's and you should be able to bring your gpa up relatively quickly. Also, study hard and do well on the PCAT and you should be fine. :)

thanks and believe it or not I'll be able to graduate because of how I am doubling up and taking full credit loads at both my university and the community college & winter term. I feel like I'm on a hamster wheel that's never-ending!! Thanks for the support!

"Tough times never last, but tough people do!" Hang in there! :) The important thing right now is to get those A's. Although it's important to show that you can handle the course load, your priority should be to get your grades up so you can meet the cutoffs. Are you still going to take the PCAT in November even with the heavy course load?

"Tough times never last, but tough people do!" Hang in there! :) The important thing right now is to get those A's. Although it's important to show that you can handle the course load, your priority should be to get your grades up so you can meet the cutoffs. Are you still going to take the PCAT in November even with the heavy course load?

yeah I'm going to take it on November 7th. Honestly I know I can do better because I know what to expect now. I have been using Dr. Collins and just my class notes since I am taking those classes now. it would be miraculous if I get something crazy like a 90+ or something !

Only you know your own abilities, so if you feel like you can do it, then go for it. However, it's important to be realistic and honest to yourself as well. I've spoken to many people with poor gpa, and their plans to turn things around are often quite quixotic, especially when it comes down to how they will execute it. For the PCAT, you can gauge how you will perform based on the Pearson practice tests - do them under simulated test conditions and don't expect to see a huge increase on the real thing if you're within a certain range. Whatever you choose to do, I wish you the best of luck! :)

Retake classes get a GPA above a 3.0.

Would you want a pharmacist with a sub 3.0 GPA? I wouldn't. Prove you can work hard and preform at a high level.

Alright so I am currently a senior at the University of Iowa. I will be graduating in May with a degree in Interdepartmental Studies focus in Health Science. I applied to 13 pharmacy schools via PharmCAS and My stats are as follows:
cumulative GPA: 2.26
Science: 1.88
Note about GPA's: The reason these are quite low, is because I did residency in the state of Iowa 2 years ago. I was a part time student and worked full time. by not doing well in the chem 2 class, it brought my gpa down a lot. and I have been climbing that GPA ladder ever since. But there is a huge uphill trend. I got a 4.0 in the summer, and this semester I am going to definitely make the dean's list (a few of my classes are already competed)
PCAT: will re-take in Nov.
Experience: certified tech at Wal-Mart for 14 months, volunteer at hospital in CVICU for 2 years, Dance Marathon Ambassador. I did 2 years of medical lab research for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics in the department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics.
LOR's: I had a total of 4 LOR's for my application. 2 of them were by the Pharmacists I work with (one of them being the assistant manager), I had 1 from the Assistant Professor I did research for in the dept. of molecular physiology, and the last was by my Microbiology professor.
Personal Statement: I think I had a solid personal statement that was excellently written and well thought out. I spent a lot of time editing and truly trying to make my personal statement stand out.

I am currently enrolled in 18 hours here at the university, but I am also taking 13 credits at community college online and finished those classes with A's. I am getting straight A's in my classes now at Iowa, and I am almost done with 2 of them which are online. By the end of the fall term my Cumulative GPA will most likely be a 2.86 and my science GPA will most likely be a 2.55. If I completely dominate on the PCAT, will I get some interviews you think? This is where I applied:

1. University of Iowa College of Pharmacy
2. Midwestern University- Downers Grove
3. Midwestern University- Glendale Arizona
4. LECOM School of Pharmacy-
5. Mercer University
6. University of Michigan
7. Nova Southeastern University
8. Palm Beach Atlantic University
9. Roseman University
10. Shenandoah University
11. University of Houston
12. University of Illinois- Chicago

I had talked to some admissions counselors from these schools and they said that once I do the academic update, my application will be reconsidered and entered for consideration. I know everyone is going to tell me to not apply, but that ship has already sailed. I am determined to get in somewhere. I have the passion and motivation and drive to become a pharmacist, but the grades on a piece of paper don't do justice to who I am.
thanks for reading!

Wow. Do you meet minimum gpa requirements? I really don't think you currently have a chance with that gpa regardless of PCAT. You will have to retake all those science classes. Good luck either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Do you meet minimum gpa requirements? I really don't think you currently have a chance with that gpa regardless of PCAT. You will have to retake all those science classes. Good luck either way.

I don't meet minimum gpa requirements as of now, but I have to wait until the academic update period for my application to be valid at the schools with a 2.5 minimum.

I don't meet minimum gpa requirements as of now, but I have to wait until the academic update period for my application to be valid at the schools with a 2.5 minimum.

I forget the name but there's a school near Atlanta that's has a minimum of 2.0 gpa.. Check it out

To much partying

It's hardly fair to judge someone that you don't know. Some people faced great adversities in life that others cannot begin to fathom. I'm not saying that's what the OP experienced, but it's best to refrain from judgments. :)

To much partying

Please...are we kids, or mature adults? Low GPA doesn't ALWAYS mean the individual was out partying. Stop making statements that have absolutely no proof/evidence to back it up and maybe I'll start taking your upcoming comments more seriously.

OT - No doubt you have a very difficult road ahead of you. There's a lot of change to be done and you've got your work cut out for you. I'm sure you know what you need to do to get things done. At the moment, chances are slim. However, you keep getting those A's and wreck the PCAT and you'll turn things around for better.

If pharmacy is something you truly want to do and are willing to put forth the effort required, then you'll get here. I don't know when, but you will get here someday in the future. Good luck friend.

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest that you re-take courses/take other courses to boost your GPA to hit the 2.5 minimum GPA requirement... otherwise, you might be throwing out money to submit PharmCas applications and won't be considered for interviews at all (no matter what the circumstance is).

Unless you only apply to that one school (mentioned above) with a 2.0 minimum, your GPA will give you major setbacks. Even with a 90+ percentile PCAT.

If you really want to apply this year, then study your butt off until your November PCAT and sort through all the PharmCas (schools by state) - http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm - and see which ones consider minimum 2.0 GPA. I would not bother applying to the schools that have a minimum 2.5 GPA, unless you know your fall grades will get you above that mark. Even then, maybe you should wait until your Fall grades are solidified to see how you do... and if it's worth it to apply this year or wait for the next cycle.

I mean, this is obviously personal opinion... do what you feel is reasonable given your own circumstances/experiences/capabilities.

Good luck!

I'm in the same boat as you buddy, 2.4ish GPA hopefully I hit a 2.5. Not too many extracirriculars. I did score a 92nd percentile on the PCAT, but I'm concerned about my chances as well..

Le sigh, I know I'm capable of pharmacy school too, I just hope a school takes a chance on me.

Reactions: 1 user
I would suggest that you re-take courses/take other courses to boost your GPA to hit the 2.5 minimum GPA requirement... otherwise, you might be throwing out money to submit PharmCas applications and won't be considered for interviews at all (no matter what the circumstance is).

Unless you only apply to that one school (mentioned above) with a 2.0 minimum, your GPA will give you major setbacks. Even with a 90+ percentile PCAT.

If you really want to apply this year, then study your butt off until your November PCAT and sort through all the PharmCas (schools by state) - http://www.pharmcas.org/collegesschools/directoryalphastate.htm - and see which ones consider minimum 2.0 GPA. I would not bother applying to the schools that have a minimum 2.5 GPA, unless you know your fall grades will get you above that mark. Even then, maybe you should wait until your Fall grades are solidified to see how you do... and if it's worth it to apply this year or wait for the next cycle.

I mean, this is obviously personal opinion... do what you feel is reasonable given your own circumstances/experiences/capabilities.

Good luck!

This is true. However, it seems like OP already e-submitted with those 12 schools (gpa already calculated) and I don't think the PharmCAS application fee is refundable. The OP's best option right now is to try and get that GPA up above the minimum prior to the schools' deadline or risk losing the ~$900. :(

This is true. However, it seems like OP already e-submitted with those 12 schools (gpa already calculated) and I don't think the PharmCAS application fee is refundable. The OP's best option right now is to try and get that GPA up above the minimum prior to the schools' deadline or risk losing the ~$900. :(
Oh! EEK, So sorry OP. I totally misread your post...

I thought those were the schools you were thinking over. :(

Then yes, best thing you can do is do your best in your courses and PCAT - also, think of adding on the 1-2 schools that have the minimum 2.0 GPA! If those aren't already in your PharmCas lists. (as Pharmerjohn has said!).

Ya. Adding those other 2 schools would probably make it worthwhile. I built a gpa calculator on Excel back when I wasn't sure if my gpa would make the cutoff, so I would recommend those who are thinking of applying but are on the line in terms of gpa to do the same. Just remember to round everything down and you should be okay. I did exactly that and to my pleasant surprise my PharmCAS gpa turned out to be quite a bit higher than what I calculated for myself.

Am I the only person who is more disturbed by the OP working as a retail tech for 14 months than the sub-par GPA.

Ya. Adding those other 2 schools would probably make it worthwhile. I built a gpa calculator on Excel back when I wasn't sure if my gpa would make the cutoff, so I would recommend those who are thinking of applying but are on the line in terms of gpa to do the same. Just remember to round everything down and you should be okay. I did exactly that and to my pleasant surprise my PharmCAS gpa turned out to be quite a bit higher than what I calculated for myself.

I was in a similar situation, and I found this calculator very helpful -

http://www.back2college.com/raisegpa.htm

I've always had the attitude that if you put forth your best effort, you will have nothing to regret.

Thanks for sharing, The Asklepian. I scoured the web looking for a gpa calculator that would follow PharmCAS's gpa calculation rules, but it was of little avail. PharmCAS accounts for pluses and minuses, so those B- (2.7) and C+ (2.3) can quickly add up and drag down your overall gpa. I was also hesitant to risk several hundred dollars in application fee without knowing for sure that I would make the cutoff, so I went ahead with the Excel calculator. I would post my Excel sheet, but it has a lot of personal information that I don't think is wise to share. However, I'm sure those who are determined can easily build their own Excel gpa calculator in no time.

Also, I share the very same sentiment! :) If I gave it my best and it's just not meant to be, well, then I have no regrets.

With a science GPA below 2.0, I don't know that a pharmacy school would take a chance on you since you have not currently shown that you can't handle undergraduate science courses. Graduate level science classes are more intense than what one takes in undergrad; They require substantially more effort to make the same grade that you made as an undergrad.

Students applying to a program with less than stellar stats always want a school to take a chance on them, but you should think about the flip side. A school might be reticent to take a chance on someone with a sub-par GPA because they may not be able to finish the program given their current academic track record. If a student doesn't finish the program or skims through the program but fails NAPLEX, the schools stats (stats that some students look at when applying since people mention NAPLEX rates and retention rate) are affected.

In summary, you have a lot of work to do to bring your GPA up to a reasonable range. It is completely possible because there have been students who have managed tremendous GPA improvements. However, I am a bit reticent to think that you can take 31 credits in one semester AND get a 4.0 in each class since you haven't done that up to this point in your academic career. Furthermore, I would fully expect an interviewer to wonder why did you not do this all along. Consequently, they may wonder if you would struggle in pharmacy school as well. Prepare a strong answer because it will likely be the make or break answer if you are able to get an interview.

I'm very sorry to say this but your stat is way far below what most pharmacy schools are looking for. Since you already expect some brutal response, here it is.

I don't know how much GPA you can pull up. You might really want to retake any core courses that schools want but still you won't raise that much GPA. you are taking PCAT on november, which means you are far behind 'early apply'. Early apply means August or September. They won't even look at yours until you are done with PCAT (and you must score minimum of 90 to even compete in your case).

If I were you, I would retake all courses that I got C and below.

many people already encouraged you so I'm doing evil part for this post. Forgive me if you get offended.

then I have no regrets.
16.jpg

Hey everyone, thanks for all the advice! So basically the reason I know I will meet the gpa of 2.5 cumulative is because i am 0.24 away right now. That being said, I need to get about a B average in those classes I am taking. Obviously I'm doing much better than a B average. And as far as Sardinia being disturbed by the fact I have been working in a retail pharmacy, I am not sure what to really tell you nor do I understand what you are trying to imply by your comment. I am currently retaking two classes in which I received C's in so hopefully at the end of fall term my transcript will just have 2 C's (from freshmen year). The reason I was not able to take a full course load a lot of the other semesters was I applied for residency in the state which meant I was only allowed to take <6 credit hours per semester and no credit hours in the summer. For those of you telling me I have no chance and won't get in, I thank you for your opinion. For those of you telling me it will be hard, but doable, I entirely appreciate and agree. The money is spent, and the application is submitted. I have seen people with worse stats get offered interviews and even granted admission. Until I actually see for myself and give it a shot, I cannot predict the future. You all know my story based on the stats/ transcripts/ what I wrote, but admissions will have the opportunity to read my personal statement and supplemental essays which is as close to my story and what really happened as it gets. I am the only one is is able to judge my potential and though I appreciate your opinions and advice, at the end of the day I am going to go with my gut instinct. Thank you for taking the time to read this and I wish you all the best of luck if you're applying.
-Futurepharm425

Students applying to a program with less than stellar stats always want a school to take a chance on them, but you should think about the flip side. A school might be reticent to take a chance on someone with a sub-par GPA because they may not be able to finish the program given their current academic track record. If a student doesn't finish the program or skims through the program but fails NAPLEX, the schools stats (stats that some students look at when applying since people mention NAPLEX rates and retention rate) are affected.

This is true, so it helps that prospective students with lower stats are aware of this when applying. I thought about it from the school's perspective and figured the only way I'd give students like myself a chance is if the student were to show tremendous improvements, the ability to perform on standardized exams, and a dedication for the profession (experience). I pretty much had to prove my case to them... Hopefully I convinced the jury.

Pharmacy school admissions is a total joke nowadays. Eight years ago you wouldn't have a chance but today you have a decent shot.

However be ready to graduate with 200-300 k in student loans and when you graduate the job market will be further saturated with unemployed pharmacists.

No problem. I hope my post has saved you from a certain career bundler.

Pharmacy school admissions is a total joke nowadays. Eight years ago you wouldn't have a chance but today you have a decent shot.

However be ready to graduate with 200-300 k in student loans and when you graduate the job market will be further saturated with unemployed pharmacists.

If that was true, then every pharmacist that graduated 4 or 5 years ago would be among the best and would be extremely knowledgeable. That's simply not the case, as I've worked with pharmacists who graduated around that time that barely know their stuff (I think I'm being generous when I say "barely"). The point is, there will always be stellar and not so stellar applicants in terms of stats. This is true regardless of the time period or the profession (take a look in the medical school forum for underdog applicants if you don't believe me).

As for the second part of your post, I can't say I disagree, as it's quite true. :)

You seriously think it is not easy to get accepted nowadays? These new schools, many of them are for profit, are desperate for students and their tuition.

Why would anyone who has a good GPA, competitive and well informed about the profession apply to pharmacy schools? There are better alternatives out there.

You seriously think it is not easy to get accepted nowadays? These new schools, many of them are for profit, are desperate for students and their tuition.

Why would anyone who has a good GPA, competitive and well informed about the profession apply to pharmacy schools? There are better alternatives out there.

"Easy" is a relative term. It depends on what the applicant is striving for. Some applicants just want to do the bare minimum to scrape by and become a pharmacist with that attitude (again, can be said about any other profession), while others want to be the best they can be. Yes, there are newer schools opening up that increases the number of acceptances per application cycles, but it's not like the minimum stats (for the most part) are that much lower than what is was 10 years ago. In fact, some schools did not require PCAT for admissions 10 years ago, but these same schools now require applicants to have taken the PCAT.

Like which profession? Please enlighten me.

Being unemployed is still better than being unemployed with 200-300 k in student loan debt

Where is everyone coming up with this $200 - $300 k debt from? Where you guys going? USC?

Where is everyone coming up with this $200 - $300 k debt from? Where you guys going? USC?

its mostly from expensive tuitions and cost of living...

I can't imagine myself of having more than 100k debt unless.

1. going to fxking expensive schools (ex: USC, Loma Linda)
2. getting loan for all living cost
3. no part time working
4. merciless spending on everything

If you plan very careful, u wont have dat much debt...it is all up to students

3. no part time working

Yeah I'm gonna try and stay near 100k if I can buy paying some as I go and what not.

3. no part time working

If you considered 20 k a year is expensive then the majority of pharmacy school is expensive. Don't forget to also add mandatory fee in the calculation.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/stude.../admissionrequirements/Documents/Table 11.pdf

You can live at home but many do not have this option so they end up borrowing money for living cost. Working one day a week is not going to put a dent on the tuition. Many students can't even land a paid internship.

What if the starting salary drop to 40-45$ an hour? Would you still borrow 200-300 k in student loans?

Being unemployed is still better than being unemployed with 200-300 k in student loan debt

I see what you’re trying to say, but that’s hardly a progressive notion to live by. What you said is akin to someone saying: I’m not leaving the house to find a job today, because if I leave the house I could risk dying a violent death in an automobile accident – I rather be unemployed and alive than being dead trying to gain employment. I know that’s a bit of a hyperbole, but the point is that there will always be an inherent risk to everything we do in life. Few things in life are ever guaranteed (death and tax are the exceptions), so living life with an impeding fear that future prospects will only turn out for the worst will get a person nowhere. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t recommend people charging into commitments blindly either. This is especially true with pharmacy, as I have seen pharmacists who are absolutely miserable because they did not test the water before diving in. On the other hand, I believe if a person has an aspiration for something and is willing to work hard for it, then the outcome is often only hindered by fear.

Oh, you were factoring in living cost also. I'm gonna try and stay far away if possible.

Some costs are unavoidable... Depending on where you choose to go to school, rent alone can take up a huge chunk of living expenses. I also see a lot of students eat and drink lavishly while in school due to the idea that they will earn six-fig income once they graduate.

If you considered 20 k a year is expensive then the majority of pharmacy school is expensive. Don't forget to also add mandatory fee in the calculation.

http://www.aacp.org/resources/stude.../admissionrequirements/Documents/Table 11.pdf

You can live at home but many do not have this option so they end up borrowing money for living cost. Working one day a week is not going to put a dent on the tuition. Many students can't even land a paid internship.

What if the starting salary drop to 40-45$ an hour? Would you still borrow 200-300 k in student loans?

btw I'm not getting any loan...so dont argue too much about this with me :laugh:.

Some costs are unavoidable... Depending on where you choose to go to school, rent alone can take up a huge chunk of living expenses. I also see a lot of students eat and drink lavishly while in school due to the idea that they will earn six-fig income once they graduate.

This is exactly right. When you work hard, you are going to want to "reward" yourself. Everyone is doing it and you certainly deserve it. At least that's what you tell yourself.

yes you are an exception to the rule.

but my point is, students need to get some basic education of finance..especially before getting into schools. it may not ends up having zero debt but at least they will know how to plan accordingly. well first of all, I will never go to any schools at expensive location. Find schools where located at cheap/out of nowhere location...dat will save a lot of cost of living. dats why I always point SDSU as the best school in the United States for saving money..cheapest tuitions and ridiculously low living cost. Can you find more schools like this? yes but not a lot.

This is exactly right. When you work hard, you are going to want to "reward" yourself. Everyone is doing it and you certainly deserve it. At least that's what you tell yourself.

The first step to solving/preventing a problem is to realize that there is/will be a problem. Once the problem has been realized, train yourself to develop habits that will mitigate the problem. For years, I taught myself to live below my means while saving and investing the rest. Unfortunately, many Americans are not able to do this, hence, we have very low savings rate among our citizens. It really is a tragedy...