Realistic Class Schedule?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allday94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My goal is to take the MCAT Spring 2017. Here is my planned schedule for the next few semesters. I was wondering if you guys think it is realistic or if I am completely crazy! ps my Major classes will fill a few gaps for me to reach full-time and then I will only have about 2 semesters after I am done with these that I will need to complete to graduate.

@ University of Utah
Spring 2016:
Chem II
Cell Bio
Math 1060

Summer 2016:
Physics I (They teach these simultaneous M-F from 8-12 all summer)
Physics II (They teach these simultaneous M-F from 8-12 all summer)
Ochem

Fall 2016:
Ochem II
BioChem

Spring 2017:
Major Courses
LOTS of MCAT Prep
(Plan on taking in April)

I could space them out a little bit more but I don't really know if it would be smart to wait until the following application cycle if it is possible to fit them all in now.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

The semesters look OK but I strongly recommend against trying to fit Phys 1, 2, and Orgo 1 into a single summer.

I agree with the above. What benefit is there to cramming arguably the hardest pre-req courses all into one summer? Compared to the downside of not doing well, I don't see how its worth it. But alot of this also depends on your individual abilities; if you've been a 3.9+ student breezing through your classes with little effor thus far you might do just fine with that type of schedule. Bigger point is there's just little benefit to cramming it all into one little block.

Here might be what I would do:
Ochem I and Physics I in the summer
Ochem II and Biochem in the fall
Spring: Physics II and study for the MCAT. You dont need to take the MCAT in April, something like late May/beginning of June is fine. Physics itself really isnt on the MCAT all that much anymore either.

Alternatively, take Ochem I by itself in the summer to ensure you do well in it, take Ochem II and Biochem in the fall. Take Physics I in the spring. Alot of physics II can be self taught and like I said its not really on the MCAT much these days. You dont need to apply with all the pre-reqs done before you apply.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the above. What benefit is there to cramming arguably the hardest pre-req courses all into one summer? Compared to the downside of not doing well, I don't see how its worth it. But alot of this also depends on your individual abilities; if you've been a 3.9+ student breezing through your classes with little effor thus far you might do just fine with that type of schedule. Bigger point is there's just little benefit to cramming it all into one little block.

Here might be what I would do:
Ochem I and Physics I in the summer
Ochem II and Biochem in the fall
Spring: Physics II and study for the MCAT. You dont need to take the MCAT in April, something like late May/beginning of June is fine. Physics itself really isnt on the MCAT all that much anymore either.

Alternatively, take Ochem I by itself in the summer to ensure you do well in it, take Ochem II and Biochem in the fall. Take Physics I in the spring. Alot of physics II can be self taught and like I said its not really on the MCAT much these days. You dont need to apply with all the pre-reqs done before you apply.
Thank you! I really like these alternative ideas! It definitely lightens the stress load a lot. Would you suggest maybe Math 1060 and Ochem in the summer? That way I wouldn't have to take it this semester with two science courses?

(Ohhhh the dreaded Ochem and how I fear you)

Thank you! I really like these alternative ideas! It definitely lightens the stress load a lot. Would you suggest maybe Math 1060 and Ochem in the summer? That way I wouldn't have to take it this semester with two science courses?

(Ohhhh the dreaded Ochem and how I fear you)

I have no idea what math 1060 is but I'm guessing it's not a pre-req or on the mcat. If it's not on the mcat I might be inclined to just push it back till senior yr after you apply and focus on your classes relevant to the mcat now

I have no idea what math 1060 is but I'm guessing it's not a pre-req or on the mcat. If it's not on the mcat I might be inclined to just push it back till senior yr after you apply and focus on your classes relevant to the mcat now
Oh lol It is Trig, which is a prereq for physics. or atleast it is at the U.