Really stupid question...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LabBrat04

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know pharmacists are doctors since "doctor" is a title, but how do they like to be addressed? Do they generally go by Dr. So-and-So, or are they less formal and use Mr./Ms.? I haven't worked with a pharmacist before, and I have to call one and make an appointment to shadow him for a few days, and I'm not sure how to address him... (I am such an idiot :thumbdown: )

Members don't see this ad.

When I first met my preceptor, I addressed him as "doctor". He then said to call him by his first name. I figured it's best to use the title and let the pharmacist decide. The pharmacists at work all go by their first names.

Members don't see this ad :)
My opinion would be to start with Doctor and let them tell you otherwise, instead of the possibility of them being one of "those" kind of pharmacists who demands to be called doctor. Better to not start out on the wrong foot. JMHO

At my hospital, we call Pharmacists with their first names.

I know some pharms who don't have PharmDs, so yea..confusing :)

I call my pharmacists, "DOCTOR" all the time. I think its fitting for not just the academic arena but any health professional.

Pharmacists at work: First name only
Preceptors: Dr. blah blah

The ones I address as "Doctor" are the clinical pharmacists on faculty at our school or precepting students at the hospital. I've never addressed staff pharmacists in hospital and retail as Doctor, and even the clinicians on staff at the hospital I work at are on a first name basis. But if I do end up having a clinical rotation at the same hospital, I would address those same clinicians as "Doctor".

Has PharmD degree existed that long? I thought it used to be BS until the last decade or so (1992) they changed it to professional PharmD degree.

pharmd-08 said:
Has PharmD degree existed that long? I thought it used to be BS until the last decade or so (1992) they changed it to professional PharmD degree.
The PharmD has existed for at least 25 years, but it was never required for licensure. Most grads before about 2001/2 were usually BS pharmacists. New grads are now required to have a PharmD, but anyone with a prior RPh is grandfathered in. :)

EarlyEditionDude said:
I call my pharmacists, "DOCTOR" all the time. I think its fitting for not just the academic arena but any health professional.

Dude, I've been a pharmacist for twenty years. Doctor is inappropriate because I have a B.S. and not a PharmD. My colleagues and patients call me Baggywrinkle. My friends call me Baggy. Customers who really appreciate something I've done call me doc. Even if I went back for the PharmD you wouldn't get away with Doctor more than once because I work for a living
(those of you with a military backround will appreciate where that last comment comes from)

jdpharmd? said:
The PharmD has existed for at least 25 years, but it was never required for licensure. Most grads before about 2001/2 were usually BS pharmacists. New grads are now required to have a PharmD, but anyone with a prior RPh is grandfathered in. :)

As I understand it, the pharmDs were an education past the old BS. I have been told that the old pharmD is much much more like a phd is now. It was a lot of work (for nothing really) and absolutely NOTHING like pharmd is now...

Some states have "grandfathered" in the BS pharmacists and call them Dph.
While others have just left it at BS and pharm D.
I do know of one clinical staff pharmacist who requests that he be called Dr.
and he'll answer the phone "Dr. Doe" he is young and just graduated.

I think it just depends on the person and I don't think its a bad idea to start off conservatively.

And a lot of young pharmds that i know, if you go in, you are pre-pharm and act like you're already a pharmacist and go for their first name....
they don't really appreciate it b/c they don't feel that you know what all they went through...

bbmuffin said:
Some states have "grandfathered" in the BS pharmacists and call them Dph.
While others have just left it at BS and pharm D.
I do know of one clinical staff pharmacist who requests that he be called Dr.
and he'll answer the phone "Dr. Doe" he is young and just graduated.

I shudder to guess what the "D" in DPh could mean.
Depending on the customer and time of day dumb and damned comes to mind.

Regarding your clinical guy; baby pharmacists are just so cute! The customers
and/or the nurses will knock the new off of him

baggywrinkle said:
I shudder to guess what the "D" in DPh could mean.
Depending on the customer and time of day dumb and damned comes to mind.

Regarding your clinical guy; baby pharmacists are just so cute! The customers
and/or the nurses will knock the new off of him

note: i never said any of them had a lick of sense or that anyone liked them

;)

I think it's the road towards professionalizing that pharmacy profession even futher. I believe that since if the person has a pharmD, one should refer to him as doctor at first unless they specify otherwise. And since pharmacist are moving more and more towards clinical and patient care, I believe that this is appropriate. Patient will look more highly and actually listen to their pharmacist, I think. Just my thoughts....