Really weird question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sprinkle0420

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay,

So, here is my story. I was accepted into Touro University in Vallejo for Class of 2011, but I was unable to go because my financial situation was dire to say the least. Instead of going to pharmacy school like I had wanted, I have spent my time getting a better job to pay off the loans I owe to rectify my situation (its a long story, but what happened was my undegrad school loans went into default status and the only way to get it cleared was to either make consecutive payments for a year, or pay the $16,000 in full). Well, now I am in a position where I can reapply and qualify for graduate school loans from the federal government. Thing is, I recently found out I am pregnant. I am about seven weeks right now and am afraid I will be showing by interview time. I know there shouldn't be discrimination based on the fact that I have chosen to be a mother, but I am afraid the interviewers will take one look at my rotund belly and assume that I could not take on the rigors of pharmacy school and simultaneously be a mother. I know I can do it, I have the drive and determination...I mean hell, I made it through UC Berkeley as a MCB major, working 20+ hours a week and also volunteering with reading programs for inner-city kids. I don't know, am I just being paranoid or do I have a valid reason to be concerned? Could that fact that I am expecting a child in late April ruin my chances at pharmacy school for Fall 2009? Any advice would be appreciated, especially from mothers in pharmacy school.

Members don't see this ad.

Sprinkle,

I don't think you're question is very weird at all. It is exactly what I would be asking if I was in your position.

Here is my perspective:

Your pregnancy says nothing about how well you will perform as a pharmacy student- your academic record does.

At my UB orientation in 2007 the school emphasized to us that they are here to ensure we graduate PharmD's. That said, they used pregnancy as an example saying that they would do everything in their power to ensure that such a situation would not mean a woman could not graduate. They also said its something quite common among their past classes.

Best of luck,

bwsalvas

It would be different if you were due in the middle of Pharmacy School because there are too many variables involved, what if you have a difficult pregnancy, doctors order bed rest, etc. you might even be carrying twins, you still don't know.... Schools go to great lengths to ensure that the students they select "make it" and being pregnant certainly wouldn't give you any extra points.

But you're due in April, right? Your baby will already be 3-4 months old when classes start.

I wouldn't worry too much. I would just make sure they know I have child care covered, if it's obvious you're pregnant.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did Touro offer you a deferment option? I don't think you'll have a problem, I think you should apply! The staff will probably remember you, just mention that it was a financial issue keeping you from entering and your pregnancy shouldn't matter.

I didn't take a deferment option since at the time, I wasn't sure I could resolve my financial issues within a year. I am hoping that they will remember me and hopefully will still be able to get into the school. I hope I will considering my qualifications have not changed, but I am worried that I may not interview as well the next time around. Group interviews are always a little strange and the dynamic is very dependent on all the people in the group.