Reapplying for Schools Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InLegionnaire

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys and girls,

I'll try to be short with descriptions. I'm now a Senior, last semester of my undergrad. I switched my major to Interdisciplinary Studies & Pre-Dental in my second semester of undergrad, which staggered all my prereqs and classes to be taken a little later than usual. Because of that I did not feel comfortable taking the DAT until last fall, during my first Senior semester, when I had finished Organic Chemistry & Biochemistry. I had originally planned to apply this coming up cycle (for 2019) and take the year off to work, however I decided to instead apply after my DAT to 11 schools in December - because I figured why waste the chance to apply now and get in next year.

I scored a 18 AA (18 TS, 20 PAT, 22 RC, 16 QR). My Organic section (15) probably kept me from a 19 AA... Organic Chemistry is completely lost to me like Physics. I should also note I only had a week and a half free to study for the DAT.

My overall GPA was a 3.31 when I applied, with a 2.9 sGPA. (My non-science GPA is a 3.65. Organic Chem really shot my GPA). I understood these were both a little under average, but like I said, I decided to apply none the less. I have 4+ years of experience working in a Dental Practice, and trained to assist & have interned multiple Dentists. 3 of said Dentists wrote me recommendations.

I was wait-listed by 3 of the schools, denied by 5, and have yet to receive an answer from the other 3 as of this post, but by now sure I won't be accepted. The schools that denied me largely said I had applied super late (December) after most interviews, which I assumed was likely. I intend to reapply immediately at 12:00 AM on June 1st this upcoming cycle, and will attempt to retake the DAT in May, and shoot for a 20 AA. I will have about 2-3 months on and off to prepare now. However beyond retaking the DAT, I'm not sure what else to do to prepare a better application for schools. My GPA may flex between a 3.2 and 3.35 depending on my last semester classes (Human Biology, Physics II w/calc, and my last language requirement), but even if I get straight As, it's very hard to raise my GPA in my final semester.

Given the uncertainty of reapplying to 10+ schools - Should spend my year after I graduate retaking 2-3 science classes (3 is the maximum allowed at my university for trading a grade), or taking new science classes in my home state at community college or a nearby 4-year, to save money? Either way I will try to also work part time at a Dental Practice. I know that you can put on the application what future classes you are taking - If I add a new semester on the application to note to schools that I will spend the next year either taking classes to raise my GPA, or retake some of those science courses, will they take it into consideration for an interview and acceptance? Obviously I do not want to have to take two post-bac years (or gap years) just to try to get considered and accepted (because I wont get the grades for those classes until next year). If there is also any other helpful advice on how to best use my year post-bac, that would be invaluable.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Firstly, what have you been doing to try and get off the waitlist? Have you sent in a letter of intent? What about the schools that haven't interviewed you yet? Have you sent a letter of interest? Secondly, should the cycle end without any acceptances, I think retaking the DAT is the right thing to do, the low OC score is definitely not favorable. I recommend you look into chad videos for OC; he is great at getting straight to the point on what you need to know. If you add more courses in the summer or fall and apply June 1st (*Side note: I was reading that the application opens May 1st this year) they still won't see your grades until you finish the semester - keep that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will you be able to manage to get a 2.9-> 3.0 science with just this semester alone?

If so, just retake the DAT. You got waitlisted with a 15 in OC. For most schools you were below the cutoff and you still managed to get interviews despite applying in December. Obviously your application is getting some attention in other areas. Retake it, do well and apply.

Send a letter of intent to the schools u were waitlisted for.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello. Firstly, what have you been doing to try and get off the waitlist? Have you sent in a letter of intent? What about the schools that haven't interviewed? Have you sent a letter of interest? Secondly, should the cycle end without any acceptances I think retaking the DAT is the right thing to do, the low OC score is definitely not favorable. I recommend you look into chad videos for OC; he is great at getting straight to the point on what you need to know. If you add more courses in the summer or fall and apply June 1st (*Side note: I was reading that the application opens May 1st this year) they still won't see your grades until you finish the semester - keep that in mind.
I have been calling the schools directly, and in contact with their admissions. I will definitely check out those videos. And yes, that last point you made is what I am concerned and wondering about - they will not see my grades for any new classes until I finish said classes - but will they still consider me for this upcoming cycle, knowing that I plan to take said courses? Thanks for your reply. Also I just looked, and it appears the cycle is beginning May 15th this year. Very good that I find that out now than later!

Last edited:
I have been calling the schools directly, and in contact with their admissions. I will definitely check out those videos - they are on DAT Bootcamp, which I used to prepare for the DAT (It is really helpful, especially if you have little time like I did back then). And yes, that last point you made is what I am concerned and wondering about - they will not see my grades for any new classes until I finish said classes - but will they still consider me for this upcoming cycle, knowing that I plan to take said courses? Thanks for your reply. Also I just looked, and it appears the cycle is beginning May 15th this year. Very good that I find that out now than later!
They will still consider you but schools may put you on hold until the grades come in.

Will you be able to manage to get a 2.9-> 3.0 science with just this semester alone?

If so, just retake the DAT. You got waitlisted with a 15 in OC. For most schools you were below the cutoff and you still managed to get interviews despite applying in December. Obviously your application is getting some attention in other areas. Retake it, do well and apply.

Send a letter of intent to the schools u were waitlisted for.
Those 3 schools wait-listed me without interviews - I do not know if that is better or worse. I will ask my advisor & dentists on how to best write letters of intent for those still waiting schools; I did not originally write any because I applied to so many schools, and only just now getting answers from most of them. As for DAT, yes I figured the OC section tanked it. I was hoping science just got reported as TS, without the individual sections, but nope the schools must see my displeasure with Organic Chemistry :( Since I now have 6-9x the amount of time to prepare as I did before, I will do my best to improve that section. I just hope I can also do as well as I did on the PAT - I really did not know how to prepare for the PAT, it was just luck. Thanks for reply.

They will still consider you but schools may put you on hold until the grades come in.
I see, hopefully with a conditional interview or something of the like. But thank you for clearing that up then.

Reactions: 1 user