Rearview Mirror: Counting down the Days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any other 4th years love Sunday night for the promise it holds? I mean, you know you won't have to do TOO much tomorrow. And who knows, maybe you'll get that magic email tomorrow, you know, the one that if you're a geek like me with gmail is tagged "ERAS" and makes your heart go pitter patter?

:laugh: I was just thinking that Monday morning brings another five days of q 10 min email checks.

After all my optimism, there was nothing!

Torture is - ortho conference which isolates you from your email for FIVE HOURS!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am desperately in need of a family vacation. Not as in a vacation WITH my family, but rather a vacation FROM my family.

11.5 hr day on psych today...and no, not on call. I guess I should be happy I am seeing lots of patients, but still.

I am desperately in need of a family vacation. Not as in a vacation WITH my family, but rather a vacation FROM my family.

Completely understand. Now I see mine once a year though...maybe not enough.

11 more &#^$%! days until two MONTHS of Sub-Is away from family is OVER. I will be happy to be home in a week and half...

Did I mention that living out of a suitcase bites?

Oh wow...didn't realize you were away. Hope the next 1 1/2 weeks go quickly for you. :luck:

ME, TOO! It's been fun, but I'm ready to be home...

Had an interesting case the other night. He came in with abd pain and was crying out for mom intermittently (pt was a 50 y/o). Turns out he presented to the ED with a similar complaint and was d/c'd with 12 days of fentanyl...eleven days ago :rolleyes:

But the other side of the story was that he had a CD4 count in the single digits, fever, and crappy sounding lungs. We admitted him and got the PCP workup going.

Single digits. Damn.

In other news, I love musculoskeletal stuff. I need to find something I hate..damnit!

I am having the opposite problem as you. I have found what I hate, no rotations I love so far (or even wasn't sick of by the end of the month).

Members don't see this ad :)
2 more weeks of psych though! (yes, I'm already ready for this to end)

It seems I have the extremely black cloud following me. I bring in a lot of patients and I bring in the difficult ones (multiple unknown and known problems). The other student working with me has gotten simple patients with nothing extra. Just luck of the draw on that one. Bad luck for me, good luck for her. Then again, I guess I am learning complexity and more than psych.

Well, I've yet to finish one rotation. Actually that isn't true. I did a Path rotation, but out of the required rotations, I'm still on IM. Eternal medicine is a full 3 months at my school. How enjoyable each sub-rotation is a direct function of the people you work with. My interns (amazingly) have all been good people, but the attendings and residents have been hit or miss. The work isn't bad, it's the people.

I've finished peds and on psych right now. Peds was the last week when I couldn't wait to be done. Psych was in the beginning of the 2nd week and I was ready for it to be done (the patients were terrible last week). And for both rotations, I've liked who I worked with, so that wasn't a determining factor. I have 2 mos of eternal med next. Then surgery (ENT) - who knows how that will go. Hopefully after that I will have an EM elective (still trying to get it set up).

Some of your schools have a wacked out schedule. After family med, I have neuro and psych for 4 weeks each, then 3 months (ugh) of IM, and 3 months of Surg (ugh). Countdown to 4th year officially begins in 2 weeks.

Some of your schools have a wacked out schedule. After family med, I have neuro and psych for 4 weeks each, then 3 months (ugh) of IM, and 3 months of Surg (ugh). Countdown to 4th year officially begins in 2 weeks.

Don't know what you are referring to here...

:smuggrin: I officially have a better schedule than someone. My psych-ation will be 6 weeks long, with 6 weeks of 9-5 FM. :cool: And our surg rotation is a mere 8 weeks (One month of general surgery and two specialty fortnights).

bump...can't believe there were no posts for the last 2 days.

Took a medical day today. Time for sleep.

Nothing to report. Heme is ending, CCU will be starting up next week. Weekend will be filled with work. I cannot wait for this rotation to be over. Things are screaming towards the end - lots of assignments, need to prep for the shelf.

Good news is that Fallout 3 has gone gold and I've already got a copy waiting for me.

Good luck this weekend then! My end is at the end of next week, then off to eternal med for 8 weeks. Maybe then I'll feel like I'm learning...

One more week to go :clap:

I think this rotation is making me very irritable (esp noted by the bf :) )

As for diagnosis with my issues - it's getting closer. Now have 2 positive tests, unfortunately giving 2 possible diagnoses, so now they are working to figure out which one it is.

Possibly work on a paper today...

Knocked out the last of my paper assignments for the rotation. Next I have to prepare for two observed H&P-like exercises next week.

A prof from our EM department sent around an email asking for research help. Strictly research-monkey type stuff. I'm debating on helping. I've helped in the past, and I don't believe I made much of an impact. The level of work isn't appropriate for a by-line on a pub, and therefore it won't be a learning experience from a research standpoint. I also have a thesis to write and apps to put out (roja convinced me :mad::laugh:).

However, it will get me into the department for an afternoon every couple of weeks. Now that I have a little clinical experience (and have a better idea of what's going on), I can see if EM's as good a fit as I think it is. Especially since I won't be able to do an EM rotation until 4th year :thumbdown:.

Knocked out the last of my paper assignments for the rotation. Next I have to prepare for two observed H&P-like exercises next week.

A prof from our EM department sent around an email asking for research help. Strictly research-monkey type stuff. I'm debating on helping. I've helped in the past, and I don't believe I made much of an impact. The level of work isn't appropriate for a by-line on a pub, and therefore it won't be a learning experience from a research standpoint. I also have a thesis to write and apps to put out (roja convinced me :mad::laugh:).

However, it will get me into the department for an afternoon every couple of weeks. Now that I have a little clinical experience (and have a better idea of what's going on), I can see if EM's as good a fit as I think it is. Especially since I won't be able to do an EM rotation until 4th year :thumbdown:.

No time for EM in 3rd year for you?

No time for EM in 3rd year for you?
Not really. Of course there's the occasional admit from the ED you have to work up (see case above). There's also a EM sub-rotation within our Peds clerkship, but that's because it's based on a lottery system. The earliest I can rotate is 4th year, and the order of my rotations is also determined by lottery. :rolleyes:

No, I have to find a way to get that exposure (and some responsibility) before 4th year and residency apps. I want to be sure of my residency choice, and not go at it half-@ssed by hoping to get my 1st choice in the 4th year lottery. :mad:

Not really. Of course there's the occasional admit from the ED you have to work up (see case above). There's also a EM sub-rotation within our Peds clerkship, but that's because it's based on a lottery system. The earliest I can rotate is 4th year, and the order of my rotations is also determined by lottery. :rolleyes:

No, I have to find a way to get that exposure (and some responsibility) before 4th year and residency apps. I want to be sure of my residency choice, and not go at it half-@ssed by hoping to get my 1st choice in the 4th year lottery. :mad:

Wow, that's just terrible. At least we get to do a lot of what we want in 4th year. We set up our elective in 3rd year and all our rotations 4th year. That includes calling and making reservations for everything, but at least we don't have to do a lottery thing.

Last edited:
2 tubes in one week on general inpatient medicine.
Apparently they like to give me the sick people/dying people (and those that are being discharged soon, so I can do their summaries/planning).

Wow, that's just terrible. At least we get to do a lot of what we want in 4th year. We set up our elective in 3rd year and all our rotations 4th year. That includes calling and making reservations for everything, but at least we don't have to do a lottery thing.
I'm sure there's some wiggle room. If this February, I decided to schedule an away for September, (the first month it's possible for me to do one,) then I'm sure they'll try to get a schedule for me that'll work with that when they do the lottery later in the year.

You might think I'm making a mountain, but I'm so tired (already!) of having to make sure there's a work-around for appointments, clinical exercises, and the like. Everything is always so disorganized. I have to contact the profs directly - I can't trust the rotation's orientation paperwork, 'cause if I do, then I'll inevitably miss an assignment. :mad:

Long story short, I don't trust anyone and need to control everything! :laugh:

I'm sure there's some wiggle room. If this February, I decided to schedule an away for September, (the first month it's possible for me to do one,) then I'm sure they'll try to get a schedule for me that'll work with that when they do the lottery later in the year.

You might think I'm making a mountain, but I'm so tired (already!) of having to make sure there's a work-around for appointments, clinical exercises, and the like. Everything is always so disorganized. I have to contact the profs directly - I can't trust the rotation's orientation paperwork, 'cause if I do, then I'll inevitably miss an assignment. :mad:

Long story short, I don't trust anyone and need to control everything! :laugh:

I've heard this from a lot of people from several different schools (the disorganization of 3rd and 4th years. We don't get to pick the order of our rotations in 3rd year, but 4th is completely open (from July on) for us to schedule, but then we have to do all the work and get no help.

4 more days :clap: I can't wait to get out of this rotation!!!!!!!

3 more days of putting up with this rotation!!!!!! :clap:

Banana man will come friday when I finish.

...And the countdown to 4th year officially begins.
Whaaat? Countdown to 4th year? When did you start clinicals?

You guys kill me. I've still got a week on IM before I'm done. :rolleyes: Then it'll be time to move on OB/GYN...maybe I'll switch to a Gustave Courbet, or a Georgia O'Keef avatar...:laugh:

Family Med exam is tomorrow. Psych starts Monday. And the countdown to 4th year officially begins.

Hope your month or whatever goes better than my last 2 weeks.

1 more miserable day :clap:

Whaaat? Countdown to 4th year? When did you start clinicals?

You guys kill me. I've still got a week on IM before I'm done. :rolleyes: Then it'll be time to move on OB/GYN...maybe I'll switch to a Gustave Courbet, or a Georgia O'Keef avatar...:laugh:

About 4 months ago. But the remaining 8 months are all stuff I have no interest in - so thus begins the countdown. We don't get any 3rd year electives :(

Last week my classmate and I went to tumor board, where path and heme attendings discuss the onc pts. One pt, who my classmate was following, was complex and was talked about at length. Afterwards, when we were writing up our notes for the day, my classmate asked me about the complex patient. Since I stayed awake during tumor board and I'm a nice person, I told them what tests were done and explained how the results affected treatment plans and prognosis.

The next day, my classmate presented my explanation during rounds as if it was their own work. :mad: :thumbdown:

My new answer to any of their questions is "I don't know." :smuggrin:

After all my optimism, there was nothing!

Torture is - ortho conference which isolates you from your email for FIVE HOURS!!!!

Ortho conference is torture...How many different ways can you put in a screw?

Sometimes they'll throw darts at the ED...Must be nice to know every diagnosis and split hairs if you're going to put the screw in at a 35 or 40 degree angle.

Ortho conference is torture...How many different ways can you put in a screw?

Sometimes they'll throw darts at the ED...Must be nice to know every diagnosis and split hairs if you're going to put the screw in at a 35 or 40 degree angle.

Great to hear from you and to see you are alive! I'm glad the ortho people memorized their books well to get into ortho :rolleyes: I can only imagine the torture.

Last week my classmate and I went to tumor board, where path and heme attendings discuss the onc pts. One pt, who my classmate was following, was complex and was talked about at length. Afterwards, when we were writing up our notes for the day, my classmate asked me about the complex patient. Since I stayed awake during tumor board and I'm a nice person, I told them what tests were done and explained how the results affected treatment plans and prognosis.

The next day, my classmate presented my explanation during rounds as if it was their own work.

My new answer to any of their questions is "I don't know." :smuggrin:

:smack::whistle::banned::nono:
:poke::slap::sendoff::diebanana::boom:

They all fit this situation somehow (okay, maybe just in my head they made sense).

Time to read and/or write my paper. :(

...They all fit this situation somehow (okay, maybe just in my head they made sense).
Thanks. :laugh:

My Medicine rotation has taught me to

1) never trust anyone,
2) do everything myself,
3) and don't help anyone!

Oh yeah, and some clinical stuff in there too :laugh:

Great to hear from you and to see you are alive! I'm glad the ortho people memorized their books well to get into ortho :rolleyes: I can only imagine the torture.

I had an attending and 3 senior residents ask me what a "non-stemi" was and why they couldn't operate right away on a patient that had one.

I had an attending and 3 senior residents ask me what a "non-stemi" was and why they couldn't operate right away on a patient that had one.

You are now positive for ADHD. How did this relate to my post or was it just a comment :confused:

Oh and see how well this studying thing is going....supposed to read up on the amiodarone + thyroid dysfunction

You are now positive for ADHD. How did this relate to my post or was it just a comment :confused:

No kidding...that was completely off topic. I'm trying to watch the sequal to "28 days" and post at the same time. My ADD is preventing me from doing both effectively.

No kidding...that was completely off topic. I'm trying to watch the sequal to "28 days" and post at the same time. My ADD is preventing me from doing both effectively.

Haha...if it makes you feel better, I am reading, posting, helping my sister with medical questions (she is learning how to read charts), and watching tv.