This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USF_student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to relay my experience with USF CoP to potential students and list reasons for not going to this institution.
1.) Projects that have nothing to do with clinical decisions. Most of these projects include making ridiculously themed videos that have maybe 10 seconds of valuable education in them, but we do also get the occasional make up a fake drug and market it assignment.
2.) Pharmacy longitudinal research project. This is a 2 year project that is required to graduate that we are given no heads up about until the second year. Very few schools require something like this project and most have it listed in their curriculum. I did not choose a professional program to do research the school needs to be upfront about what is involved.
3.) Pharmacy was an after-thought for USF. We do not have a building and most of the time administration struggles to find us classrooms. Our school over accepts students and so we are frequently moved into buildings on other parts of campus to sit 8 hours a day in cramped undergrad style auditoriums with desk that are only large enough for a single sheet of paper. And as the years progressed class was canceled many times due to no classrooms available.
4.) The course series Pharmacy Skills. This is a six course series on how to use medical devices and handle patient counseling, sounds great at first. Truth is there is enough useful information to fill 2 courses at most so a lot of time is spent on fluff. This course is a 4 credit course that many weeks you will attend 12 hours to do activities such as building lego items with nurses for team building, or trying to accurately recreate a series of Mr. Potato heads in a short time with other health students to simulate how med errors can happen, evaluating patients with med students except the med students aren't required to attend so you are left alone with half of the information and can't handle the case, and of course making videos.
5.) We can't keep faculty. It's a revolving door even one of the department heads told us it's their job to learn material the day before they teach us because the people that specialize in those materials quit.
6.) End of semester and End of year exams. At the end of each semester there is a comprehensive exam that covers all courses you took that term. Failure results in remediation, I actually would agree with this to reinforce knowledge if this didn't have courses that were not always lecture based on the exam. If you fail a few of these exams over the course of school you can be made to repeat a year regardless of GPA, I do not agree with this. A good example of non-lecture based would be IPPE which is a rotation in a pharmacy, the school will ask questions they feel you should know for IPPE but didn’t include in the syllabus as a learning objective and preceptors may not cover it. The End of Year is a semi practical exam where some of it is patient counseling and some of it is written this is exam is actually pretty close to the way it should be.
7.) Lack of rotation sites. USF didn't plan ahead to secure sites before accepting large numbers of students every semester there is a struggle to find a place to put everyone. The thought of accepting less people never seem to cross their mind. Instead let’s get 20k per person and hope it works seems to be the thought process.

8.) Some instructors feel the need to post majority of their lectures online and require attendance to do “activities” in class. These can vary in levels of usefulness. Sometimes they are patient interviews other times they are crossword puzzles or bingo.

9.) There is often a lack of professionalism among faculty. A strong example is an assignment where we were instructed to take a “selfie” at a pharmacy with the most effective form of contraceptive and STD prevention. That is something I would expect in high school. Other examples include in group case discussions if a group of students is unaware of an answer to a follow up question certain faculty members will belittle the students.

10.) We use a free to play MMORPG with programed npc’s to do mock patient counseling. They can only respond to particular wordings and don’t even come close to emulating real life.

11.) The school schedules 2 mandatory seminars a semester called the Dean’s Bull Pen. These happen outside of class, this wouldn’t be a big deal if they actual related to health care at all. Sometimes we have a business man or a sports coach talk to us about their success. The worst of these events wasn’t actually relating to the event itself though. It was scheduled at a time that interfered with some of the class schedule for students having to go to our downtown simulation building. Our class as a whole was chastised, even though it only applied to 10% of us, for not bringing it to the attention of the faculty that they aren’t capable of making a schedule without conflicts. It is also interesting how few times the dean actually sticks around for the seminars with his title on them.

12.) During fourth year there is a course called professional forum that will give mock patient cases and projects to do in addition to working on your rotations. This strongly penalizes students with rotations with higher expectations or those that spend 3 hours a day driving to site (I know the drive sounds bad but this part happens at most schools and it is not the majority of students). The contents of the course were useful towards the end but during the beginning of the year before we had concise material to review for the course it was nothing but a burden.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
USF wasn't even supposed to get a pharmacy school, they actually forced it.
UF st Petersburg used to be the pharmacy school in that area until they nobly decided to shut down the program after realising their were no adequate resources (profs, classrooms, etc) and of course declining enrollment due to oversaturation.
USF had the nerve to ask the state of Florida for funds to build a new pharm school in Lakeland and of course the state said no saying it was unnecessary due the other 6-7 odd schools in Florida now.
They went ahead a started it anyway with their own money, but without state funding they can't afford anything. That's why it is the way it is. They have no classrooms or professors but that doesn't matter as long as students keep giving them that loan money.
They don't care about the students or the profession, they're in it for the $$$.
This is why pharmacy is in the gutter. Schools like these that keep opening up even when all evidence says the profession is incredibly oversaturated. Unbelievable how they justify it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
USF wasn't even supposed to get a pharmacy school, they actually forced it.
UF st Petersburg used to be the pharmacy school in that area until they nobly decided to shut down the program after realising their were no adequate resources (profs, classrooms, etc) and of course declining enrollment due to oversaturation.
USF had the nerve to ask the state of Florida for funds to build a new pharm school in Lakeland and of course the state said no saying it was unnecessary due the other 6-7 odd schools in Florida now.
They went ahead a started it anyway with their own money, but without state funding they can't afford anything. That's why it is the way it is. They have no classrooms or professors but that doesn't matter as long as students keep giving them that loan money.
They don't care about the students or the profession, they're in it for the $$$.
This is why pharmacy is in the gutter. Schools like these that keep opening up even when all evidence says the profession is incredibly oversaturated. Unbelievable how they justify it.

How are they fully accredited?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why does USF require so many prereqs? It seems like the whole bio major courses

Reactions: 1 user
I would love to hear more of what you say. Thanks for the truth.
I have decided to relay my experience with USF CoP to potential students and list reasons for not going to this institution.
1.) Projects that have nothing to do with clinical decisions. Most of these projects include making ridiculously themed videos that have maybe 10 seconds of valuable education in them, but we do also get the occasional make up a fake drug and market it assignment.
2.) Pharmacy longitudinal research project. This is a 2 year project that is required to graduate that we are given no heads up about until the second year. Very few schools require something like this project and most have it listed in their curriculum. I did not choose a professional program to do research the school needs to be upfront about what is involved.
3.) Pharmacy was an after-thought for USF. We do not have a building and most of the time administration struggles to find us classrooms. Our school over accepts students and so we are frequently moved into buildings on other parts of campus to sit 8 hours a day in cramped undergrad style auditoriums with desk that are only large enough for a single sheet of paper. And as the years progressed class was canceled many times due to no classrooms available.
4.) The course series Pharmacy Skills. This is a six course series on how to use medical devices and handle patient counseling, sounds great at first. Truth is there is enough useful information to fill 2 courses at most so a lot of time is spent on fluff. This course is a 4 credit course that many weeks you will attend 12 hours to do activities such as building lego items with nurses for team building, or trying to accurately recreate a series of Mr. Potato heads in a short time with other health students to simulate how med errors can happen, evaluating patients with med students except the med students aren't required to attend so you are left alone with half of the information and can't handle the case, and of course making videos.
5.) We can't keep faculty. It's a revolving door even one of the department heads told us it's their job to learn material the day before they teach us because the people that specialize in those materials quit.
6.) End of semester and End of year exams. At the end of each semester there is a comprehensive exam that covers all courses you took that term. Failure results in remediation, I actually would agree with this to reinforce knowledge if this didn't have courses that were not always lecture based on the exam. If you fail a few of these exams over the course of school you can be made to repeat a year regardless of GPA, I do not agree with this. A good example of non-lecture based would be IPPE which is a rotation in a pharmacy, the school will ask questions they feel you should know for IPPE but didn’t include in the syllabus as a learning objective and preceptors may not cover it. The End of Year is a semi practical exam where some of it is patient counseling and some of it is written this is exam is actually pretty close to the way it should be.
7.) Lack of rotation sites. USF didn't plan ahead to secure sites before accepting large numbers of students every semester there is a struggle to find a place to put everyone. The thought of accepting less people never seem to cross their mind. Instead let’s get 20k per person and hope it works seems to be the thought process.

8.) Some instructors feel the need to post majority of their lectures online and require attendance to do “activities” in class. These can vary in levels of usefulness. Sometimes they are patient interviews other times they are crossword puzzles or bingo.

9.) There is often a lack of professionalism among faculty. A strong example is an assignment where we were instructed to take a “selfie” at a pharmacy with the most effective form of contraceptive and STD prevention. That is something I would expect in high school. Other examples include in group case discussions if a group of students is unaware of an answer to a follow up question certain faculty members will belittle the students.

10.) We use a free to play MMORPG with programed npc’s to do mock patient counseling. They can only respond to particular wordings and don’t even come close to emulating real life.

11.) The school schedules 2 mandatory seminars a semester called the Dean’s Bull Pen. These happen outside of class, this wouldn’t be a big deal if they actual related to health care at all. Sometimes we have a business man or a sports coach talk to us about their success. The worst of these events wasn’t actually relating to the event itself though. It was scheduled at a time that interfered with some of the class schedule for students having to go to our downtown simulation building. Our class as a whole was chastised, even though it only applied to 10% of us, for not bringing it to the attention of the faculty that they aren’t capable of making a schedule without conflicts. It is also interesting how few times the dean actually sticks around for the seminars with his title on them.

12.) During fourth year there is a course called professional forum that will give mock patient cases and projects to do in addition to working on your rotations. This strongly penalizes students with rotations with higher expectations or those that spend 3 hours a day driving to site (I know the drive sounds bad but this part happens at most schools and it is not the majority of students). The contents of the course were useful towards the end but during the beginning of the year before we had concise material to review for the course it was nothing but a burden.
I

USF_Student: I am glad you relayed your experience as this is all true information. You have the same sentiments and experiences I had at this college. I was encouraged to remove a post regarding mentioning such situations by one of my "colleagues" today. The post "might" go to administration, according to the colleague, and might result in my dismissal from the college. There is a story posted on a link The school may promote its reputation and protect itself. The school makes you feel much worse as a pharmacist by intention. I am not sure how other schools are, but I can definitely speak for this one. You did a pro by not identifying yourself and protecting yourself.

I was not so fortunate. The outcome for me depends on whether or not the details are revealed at each step of the 12 mentioned.
wtf what a messedup school. glad i didnt get in thanks for letting me know

USF_Student: I am glad you relayed your experience as this is all true information. You have the same sentiments and experiences I had at this college. I was encouraged to remove a post regarding mentioning such situations by one of my "colleagues" today. The post "might" go to administration, according to the colleague, and might result in my dismissal from the college. There is a story posted on a link The school may promote its reputation and protect itself. The school makes you feel much worse as a pharmacist by intention. I am not sure how other schools are, but I can definitely speak for this one. You did a pro by not identifying yourself and protecting yourself.

I was not so fortunate. The outcome for me depends on whether or not the details are revealed at each step of the 12 mentioned.
your post was the best man, very witty and intelligent. that friend of yours who let your guard out should be punished and sue the school if they dismiss you, against freedom of speech and judge probably just rule it as fainress of customer review so the school cant do jack

Woah sounds terrible. I got an interview there but never went. I’m sorry to hear about your experience. Hope they do better or shut down.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

As an individual who attended this pharmacy college and earned the PharmD in 2018, I have experiences worth sharing. We as SDNers and as practicing pharmacists know about lower enrollment statistics for pharmacy schools, extending application deadlines, and lower employment statistics across our profession. Like any other business, academia (schools) will shift their marketing strategy to fit their mission and their needs. The generation of the following program this year is a perfect example of such behavior:

7-Year B.S./PharmD Program

A new attractive educational package is offered to the younger and more naive students of our generation. Such students are easy targets for whats to come.

PM me and we can talk further.

Last edited: