This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a dilemma regarding my recommendation letters. I have successfully acquired a rec letter from an MD Physician (sent to my university). However, one of my science professors was not able to write his rec letter in the correct format (no signature included, etc.). I have already asked this professor to correct the mistake and re upload, and he did, but he still did not follow to correct format again and my university rejected his letter. Now I don't want to annoy him by asking him once again to correct the rec letter (he is nice guy and i have a good relationship with him), but its getting to the point where I feel like im being a pest/bothering him with this issue. I can ask another science professor to write me a rec letter but I do not know her well, and I am currently taking her course. We have an alright relationship so far (I've only had her this semester so she kinda knows me). How should I approach this? Do I ask my previous letter writer to correct his issue for the 3rd time? Or should I abandon that idea and ask someone else (who probably wont write as strong of a letter)?

Also, there is someone else I can ask (non science professor who I did research with), however, its been about 2 years since I last made contact with her and I never was very close to her in the first place. She might remember me but It'll be my last resort I guess.

One more thing. Do we need two science professors letters if we are already getting a committee letter? Or would science professor letters be unnecessary when one obtains a committee letter? Would this combo work...MD physician letter, non-science professor, and committee letter? Im applying to many DO schools and only Texas MD schools.

I really hate relying on others for things and unfortunately getting a rec letter is exactly that haha.

Thank y'all for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I suspect that if you approach the professor who did not put the letter in the correct format, give him an exemplar and a link to the formatting instructions, he would be amenable to resubmitting the letter in the correct format. The error was on his part, so I can't imagine that he wouldn't be willing to correct it. Given that you have the closest relationship with this professor and he has already drafted a letter, I would definitely go back to him for a third time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It’s the professor’s own fault for messing up so I don’t see how he could blame you for being annoying.

Honestly you could ask any professor that you’ve had for a LOR even if you don’t have a relationship. If you go to a big school professors are generally willing to write a letter for anyone who didn’t fail their class. I have multiple LORs where the professor saw my face a maximum of 3 times.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.