Rec, Letters

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abbeyroad1791

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I worked on clinical research at a university where my stats are slightly low to get into their med school. My research advisor there offered to write me a letter of recommendation which I'm assuming is quite strong. Does anyone know how much of an effect a letter from a faculty member of that university would have on admittance to their med school? I almost don't want to apply there if I know I would have no chance, because then I have to tell her that I didn't get in, but if I have a chance I'd love to go there...

Members don't see this ad.

So I worked on clinical research at a university where my stats are slightly low to get into their med school. My research advisor there offered to write me a letter of recommendation which I'm assuming is quite strong. Does anyone know how much of an effect a letter from a faculty member of that university would have on admittance to their med school? I almost don't want to apply there if I know I would have no chance, because then I have to tell her that I didn't get in, but if I have a chance I'd love to go there...

You wouldn't apply to the medical school where (it seems) you want to go just on the chance that if you get denied, you would have to tell that to your PI? You need to grow a spine, get that LOR and apply to your home school. The letter won't help much, but what's the harm?

I think the prevailing SDN wisdom is that it has no greater effect than someone who is not affiliated with the University. Unless it is a person in a position of power during the admissions process (like dean, adcom, etc..)

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the prevailing SDN wisdom is that it has no greater effect than someone who is not affiliated with the University. Unless it is a person in a position of power during the admissions process (like dean, adcom, etc..)

Seriously??

so i worked on clinical research at a university where my stats are slightly low to get into their med school. My research advisor there offered to write me a letter of recommendation which i'm assuming is quite strong. Does anyone know how much of an effect a letter from a faculty member of that university would have on admittance to their med school? I almost don't want to apply there if i know i would have no chance, because then i have to tell her that i didn't get in, but if i have a chance i'd love to go there...

jfdi

Won't hurt to give it a shot. Better spend that $35 bucks and see your chances then regret not knowing. I'm in a similar situation and have a letter from a very well known research physician at a top school but I feel like i definitely don't have a chance at all with my stats. But you know, I'd rather say I tried and know for sure than not know. I'm sure your adviser would understand the competitiveness and crap shoot sometime of admissions so don't base it on that....I'm sure she would push you to apply to your home school anyways.