Receiving a Recommendation Letter Before Applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I was hoping to ask my gen chem 2 professor for a recommendation letter to a medical school but am uncertain how to do so because I am currently not in the application process. I took his class last spring semester and thought it would be best to get a recommendation letter now because he may not remember me as well 2 years from now when I start the application process. I have many med schools in mind and am unsure whether or not he should include the name of a med school which I want to apply to. Is it possible for him to send the letter to me now and I can simply attach it to the recommendation letter section of the application when I apply or do the letters need to be sent by him to the med school at the time of the application (2 years from now). Also, is there a certain format for him to follow in writing the letter? Should the date be included if he sends me a letter of recommendation now? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ask for the letter now, or at least make your intention known so he can jot down notes on you. Please do not ask your letter writer to make multiple versions of his letter for your top choice schools. That is not being respectful of his time.

Letter guidelines can be found here: https://www.aamc.org/download/349990/data/lettersguidelinesbrochure.pdf
All LORs should be dated, on official letterhead, and signed.

Interfolio can be used to store letters for later use.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone. I was hoping to ask my gen chem 2 professor for a recommendation letter to a medical school but am uncertain how to do so because I am currently not in the application process. I took his class last spring semester and thought it would be best to get a recommendation letter now because he may not remember me as well 2 years from now when I start the application process. I have many med schools in mind and am unsure whether or not he should include the name of a med school which I want to apply to. Is it possible for him to send the letter to me now and I can simply attach it to the recommendation letter section of the application when I apply or do the letters need to be sent by him to the med school at the time of the application (2 years from now). Also, is there a certain format for him to follow in writing the letter? Should the date be included if he sends me a letter of recommendation now? Thanks.
I second the use of Interfolio. I was able to collect letters between July of the Summer before and this last May of my application cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies. So it would be okay to ask him to send the letters to my email right? Or does interfolio have have a way to receive these emails so it is more secure? I am unaware how interfolio works. I am concerned because I find it a little odd that these letters of recommendations can be forwarded to a student's email and saved by them for later use because it raises the question of authenticity or if it is fabricated or not.

Thanks for the replies. So it would be okay to ask him to send the letters to my email right? Or does interfolio have have a way to receive these emails so it is more secure? I am unaware how interfolio works. I am concerned because I find it a little odd that these letters of recommendations can be forwarded to a student's email and saved by them for later use because it raises the question of authenticity or if it is fabricated or not.
No, interfolio has them securely uploaded through their own external email to the letter writer. You do not have access to them.

Reactions: 1 users