Recommended Books to Prepare for Pharm School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacygirl116

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, does anyone know of any good books to read to help prepare for pharmacy school? I was searching on Amazon for titles such as "Pharmacy School for Dummies" lol because I know they sell those for other graduate programs. If anyone could recommend anything I would appreciate it :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, does anyone know of any good books to read to help prepare for pharmacy school? I was searching on Amazon for titles such as "Pharmacy School for Dummies" lol because I know they sell those for other graduate programs. If anyone could recommend anything I would appreciate it :D
I would also like to know what to do over the summer to prepare. If anyone could give suggestions of what to re-study .... that would be very helpful!!!

Why not just enjoy the summer? You're going to be in an intensive courseload for the next 3-4 years of your life.

I understand the train of thought, but c'mon now, enjoy your time while you can. The studying you do now will barely make a dent in your actual studies in pharm school. At the most, why not work as a pharm tech so you can make some money while learning the profession? Save the money up and dump it into a Roth IRA at the end of summer, rinse and repeat while you're in summer break each year, and you'll be a millionaire in no time. Or put the money toward student loans ::throws-up on that idea::.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not just enjoy the summer? You're going to be in an intensive courseload for the next 3-4 years of your life.

I understand the train of thought, but c'mon now, enjoy your time while you can. The studying you do now will barely make a dent in your actual studies in pharm school. At the most, why not work as a pharm tech so you can make some money while learning the profession? Save the money up and dump it into a Roth IRA at the end of summer, rinse and repeat while you're in summer break each year, and you'll be a millionaire in no time. Or put the money toward student loans ::throws-up on that idea::.

I was going to say the same thing. If you can, (I know it's hard) I would try and get a pharmacy tech job. I just graduated from UM in May 2009 and I tried really really hard to get one in Miami and I just couldn't since I wasn't certified and had no prior experience (besides volunteering at Miami Children's in-patient pharmacy).

I actually moved to another city in south Florida because I was offered a job at Publix while another girl was on maternity leave, so it worked out perfectly since I will be going 800 miles away for school in August.

In addition to saving money for rent (I'm going to live off campus), I'm learning about medicines, especially the most common ones, and I'm just getting a lot of experience with everything that goes on in the pharmacy. It's not hard, but I feel so much more confident when I will have to apply for internships.

I think that is the best preparation you could get. If you can't leave a current job to get one in a pharmacy, I guess reading a CPhT book might help? Other than that... I would just try and save money and enjoy the summer. If you're still in college I wouldn't even bother trying to take classes over the summer. I took some science classes post-bac but only because I'm working on my MBA and I knew I was going to pharmacy school eventually. I didn't want to go a whole year with no science.

You know, everyone I talk to says that pretty much. At my interviews all of the P1's I talked to said don't worry about studying over summer.

I see where they are coming from, but man, 3 months is a long time not to do squat lol. I'm definitely going to enjoy my summer and put in some hours at work, but I think I'll try and learn a bit too.

We have to purchase prescription drug cards before we start anyways, so that will give me something to do. That, and I think I might pick up an anatomy and physiology book since I haven't taken it. Look at your P1 year schedule and see what you are "missing".

Our school requires us to read a specific Medical Terminology, Pharmaceutical Calculations, and one other book I can't think of at the moment. They said, we will probably have a test or homework on the first day of class based off our reading material. I don't know how much validity there is to that, but I'm atleast going to read the Med. Term book just to brush up on terms. I work as a tech at a retail store and hospital, and I'm constantly (at the hospital) doing calculations for IV's and stuff, so I think I'll be good there. Butttt...I will definately be spending as much time as humanly possible on the boat with the girlfriend, you can't pass up summers in Buffalo.

i wasn't necessarily talking about "studying", but just a book that tells you what to expect, study tips, etc. i know they have a good one for med school called med school confidential, maybe i will just buy that one...since i'm sure it will be useful to pharmacy students as well

i wasn't necessarily talking about "studying", but just a book that tells you what to expect, study tips, etc. i know they have a good one for med school called med school confidential, maybe i will just buy that one...since i'm sure it will be useful to pharmacy students as well
I wouldn't waste your time/money on a book like that. In my situation, there are a number of kids who attend my school on this forum. I've contacted almost every one of them through private message, asking them questions about what to expect, study habits, living arrangements, tips,what classes/teachers to look out for, etc. etc. Needless to say, each and every one of them have been a tremendous help. So, my advice to you....try to find someone that is already a student at the school you are headed to, and hit them up through a private message. IMO, don't waste your time on some extraneous med book, or even pharmacy book for that matter. Each program is different, so do you really want to take advice from some book that generalizes pharmacy school, not even your school in particular?

I just re-read your original post...I don't think you stated you were accepted yet??? I wrote the above message under the premise you were already accepted and know which school your attending...If not, my comments wouldn't help too much.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People? lol I'm sure you've heard of or read this one before

Your study habits you should have already developed and enhanced in undergrad. Trying something new in pharmacy school isn't exactly a good idea. If you have done well with studying in undergrad, the same skills will be good enough in pharmacy school. You may have to tweak something here or there, but it will be something more personal for you and not something that you can really ask someone else about. The curriculum for the school will be a unique pulse from any other school as well. You might do better to ask students of the school you are accepted to and attending what helped them for their classes. Take it easy over the summer and work if you can, but enjoy life and the freedom you will soon be devoid of once pharmacy school starts.