Recommended Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HawkOpt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I noticed that some schools have "recommended" courses. How important is it that I take those classes. I am already taking a lot of extra classes because I am a business major and I don't want to take any classes that I don't have to. Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

HawkOpt said:
I noticed that some schools have "recommended" courses. How important is it that I take those classes. I am already taking a lot of extra classes because I am a business major and I don't want to take any classes that I don't have to. Thanks for the help.
not important at all.

I heard that it really helps to have some Anatomy & Physiology knowledge before you go to optometry school. I'm taking one of those classes now. I imagine some biochem would be helpful too.

I know someone who went to PCO last year and had no anatomy courses as an undergrad and struggled with that somewhat.

Members don't see this ad :)
ppa93 said:
not important at all.

Actually, contrary to ppa93's typical blunt and arrogant comment, taking the recommended courses could be quite useful to your application and your future as an optometry student. Say the admissions committee is deciding between two equal candidates, yet one of has more of the recommended courses than the other. I would imagine that the committee would be more inclined to offer an admission to the student with more of the recommended courses. Also, the recommended courses are usually related to courses that you will be taking in your first or second years at optometry school and will provide you with background knowledge that will make those courses much easier.

jd4me said:
Actually, contrary to ppa93's typical blunt and arrogant comment, taking the recommended courses could be quite useful to your application and your future as an optometry student. Say the admissions committee is deciding between two equal candidates, yet one of has more of the recommended courses than the other. I would imagine that the committee would be more inclined to offer an admission to the student with more of the recommended courses. Also, the recommended courses are usually related to courses that you will be taking in your first or second years at optometry school and will provide you with background knowledge that will make those courses much easier.

I agree. It’s very beneficial to complete the recommended courses; this is why they are recommended. Some of the recommended courses at some schools are actually required courses at others (i.e. Anat/Phys, Orgo II, Biochem). Other "elective" type courses such as small business management can be very helpful in trying to determine early on if you want to go into private practice. In short, it doesn't hurt you if you dont complete any, but it doesn't help you either.