Reduced Courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN,

Throughout college, due to an illness, I never took a course load more than 13 units. Sometimes in a semester I took only 11 units. I am worried because I received great grades including an A in organic chemistry, A- in general biology and A in general chemistry. I believe I am smart enough for medical school, but I unfortunately feel I was never able to truly express the stamina needed. I have a 3.45 gpa, I have good healthcare related ECs and I graduated from a top 20 university.

I am wondering medical school is still possible. If it is, should I do a special masters program and get a 4.0 with a full courseload? (I know this will be hard, but because my illness has lessoned in a massive way, I 100% believe it is possible) Or, take my remaining pre reqs - the physics and biochemistry series - at a post bac program.

The thing is I absolutely love biology and chemistry. I could study 8 hours a day easily. I am considering doing a masters in biochemistry and applying, but despite knowing much of the biochemistry, I haven't taken the class needed :( . I majored in a humanities simply because I needed to leave the university as quickly as possible to focus on my illness.

Any advice helps. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you maintained competitive grades, then it shouldn't be a problem.

Perform well on the MCAT. That should alleviate any potential concerns adcoms may have.

Reactions: 1 user
Is a 3.45 gpa competitive? The next step is certainly an MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money is no issue, I would actually suggest you go into academic "training." Yes I know this is controversial advice.

Do a 30-credit masters program, or a post-bacc (whatever is cheaper). Each semester, add another course or two. Work your way up, build your stamina.

You're a strong, serious student... you just needs to get in the game.

This will make you competitive for MD and give you skills needed to succeed in a rigorous curriculum.