Regionalism in ranking process

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UHS05

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I have signed, sealed and delivered my ROL, my now idle mind begins to wander...

Do you think regionalism plays a big role in the ranking process? I mean do programs tend to rank applicant that they "think" might come there higher than better applicants that they really liked more. As competitive as this field is, it really shouldn't matter, but I got a sense of this from a PD (at a really good program, mind you) that openly mentioned that his/her program sends out interviews only to people that they think might come there. Also heard many rumblings of the "why would you want to move here from the midwest" type at several coastal interviews?

It wouldn't make any sense, since it should be to the programs benefit to rank people in order of merit (like we do as applicants)... going unfilled really isn't an option in this field...

Any thoughts???

Members don't see this ad.

A good question, and something that I thought about a lot when going through the process last year.

I was coming from a southeastern med school (UF), and was pretty surprised at the number of interviews I was being extended which were outside my region. At most of these interviews, I got some sort of question along the lines of "Are you looking at any region in particular?", which, reading between the lines, I interpreted as "If your tropically acclimated butt were to match here, would you actually come?" . Prior to match day, it was definitely my perception that rad onc residencies would tend to be provincial.

This perception was pretty much blown out of the water. Of the four applicants in my class, three matched in the Midwest (including myself; go Badgers!), and one in the southeast.

The advice I would give is this: Don't worry about how programs rank applicants; rank the programs in order of how much you would like to match there. Different people have different criteria, but if you go strictly in order of desirability (whatever that means to you), then, assuming you match, you will be much more likely to be happy come March 17th.

BTW, how great is it that Match Day and St. Paddy's Day coincide this year? Green beer for everyone!

Most people had similar questions during the interview-"Why you want to come here?" Westcoast programs ask this question to people from Eastcoast, vice versa. Great lakes programs ask those from SE or SW zones. At the end of the interview process, I figured it out:
1). If the student is from the same region, he/she is more likely rank the program high. Every PD will be proud to tell the faculty and Chair that "this year, we got our top 3 choises!"
2). if the student is from the same region, he/she is more likely to be happy during the residency--family, relatives, old friends in the area, used to the climate

Members don't see this ad :)
Along those lines, (this may be a really dumb question) do most residency programs prefer students from other medical schools, or do they give any sort of preference to students from their own school?

I think it kinda depends on the program. I've been to some where they make an effort to get the best candidate and not be as "inbred"...there are some, though, that seem to want their own graduates desperately. Personally, I think programs that tend to look for quality over inbred ties tend to be the better ones...

Also, thanks for the input on my post guys...really do appreciate it..

carrie198 said:
Along those lines, (this may be a really dumb question) do most residency programs prefer students from other medical schools, or do they give any sort of preference to students from their own school?

UHS05 said:
Since I have signed, sealed and delivered my ROL, my now idle mind begins to wander...

Do you think regionalism plays a big role in the ranking process? I mean do programs tend to rank applicant that they "think" might come there higher than better applicants that they really liked more. As competitive as this field is, it really shouldn't matter, but I got a sense of this from a PD (at a really good program, mind you) that openly mentioned that his/her program sends out interviews only to people that they think might come there. Also heard many rumblings of the "why would you want to move here from the midwest" type at several coastal interviews?

It wouldn't make any sense, since it should be to the programs benefit to rank people in order of merit (like we do as applicants)... going unfilled really isn't an option in this field...

Any thoughts???
yes. People will rank individuals higher if they think they are more likely to go there because of location. However that doesnt mean far away folks are by definition ranked lower. if they are attractive candidates who are sincere and want to come to a program, they will be ranked well. But if youre simply asking if regionalism can count, yes it can.