Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi there.

The visit day was very fun. There was a presentation by professors and by students, a lot of Q&A, a fun pizza lunch, and an interview with a professor.

The interview was very conversational in nature. We walked through my resume and then discussed my thoughts on what good leadership is.

I think that everyone had a good time.

Let me know if you want to hear anything else.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got a message from BU saying they received my additional info and will try and get back to me within 2 weeks.

Interesting..I haven't received any acknowledgement that they got my additional info, but I sent it by email directly back to the email they sent me, so I can't imagine they DIDN'T receive it. Starting to give up on BU though, its been 12 weeks. This is just silly now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any chance anyone has heard anything from Columbia?

I haven't gotten anything from them whatsoever since I submitted my app.

Haven't heard a peep. I thought that those who submitted by 12/1 got early decisions. Ha!

After I hadn't heard anything for 2 weeks after every other school confirmed receiving my app, I emailed them. They replied confirming they received my app, but no other information.

Hey ralphontime....thanks a million on your feedback.

UCF was my top priority anyway, I have accepted their admit. Have to start working on my I-20 now.....

By the way any idea as to how are the job oppurtunities post graduation??

It would be great if you can share some thoughts on this...

So, which ugrad program are you in at UCF?
UCF is awesome! You will love it! I am in the Health Services Administration undergraduate program and I love it. I have had great professors and challenging courses. I hear the grad program is much harder, so be prepared.

In regards to job opportunities, you have great options because UCF is located in a large urban city: Orlando. I am currently interning with Florida Hospital, which is one of the biggest hospital chains in Florida. There are also opportunities with Orlando Health, another large system with several hospitals in Orlando. UCF has a great internship program and a lot of people get jobs after. Talk to Dr. Oetjen or Dr. Sumner if you have any questions. Hope that helps!

After I hadn't heard anything for 2 weeks after every other school confirmed receiving my app, I emailed them. They replied confirming they received my app, but no other information.

I emailed them yesterday, and they said it will be a few more weeks. I think last year people started hearing back between late February and late March.

Got in to Tulane today.

Or rather, got a "favorable decision" and still waiting for the official admissions email. :D

Got into Hopkins yesterday for MSPH in Global Disease, Epidemiology and Control! Anyone else thinking about Hopkins? :)

Got into Berkeley today! Have been holding my breath for that.

UGPA: 3.69
Major/Minor: International affairs / anthropology
GRE: 167/167/6.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Three years of global public health work both in HQ and in the field.

Applied: Berkeley (Epi/Biostats), Harvard (Global), Emory (Global), Tulane (Global Health Systems), UW Seattle (Global Health Eval and Metrics), Columbia (Epi)
Accepted: Harvard (3/1), UW (2/15), Berkeley (2/13), Tulane (2/10), Emory (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Got into Cal today as well. Woot!

UGPA: 3.79
Major/Minor: Environmental Science, Environmental Health Concentration, Chinese Minor
GRE (including date taken): September 30, 2012 -- Verbal 160, Quant 162, Writing 4.5
Experience/Research: 2.5 years of various laboratory research (Children's Environmental Health, Parkinson's Disease), summer internship with the Center for Environmental Health in Oakland, writer for undergraduate health magazine, a CHS internship for a quarter, currently working for the UCLA SoPH for a Parkinson's research study

Applied: UC Berkeley (MPH in EHS) (Applied 11/25), UCLA (MPH in EHS) (Applied 11/25), UCI (MPH in EHS) (Applied 1/7/13)
Accepted: Berkeley
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted to Brown's MPH program today! I'm very excited since this is my first acceptance letter! They said that I'll be receiving financial assistance from the program. But I won't know the exact amount until they send me another letter. To those of you who also applied to Brown, hope you all get some good news soon!
Me too! I am really excited about making a decision. It's also exciting to see someone talking about Brown!

Got into Berkeley today! Have been holding my breath for that.

UGPA: 3.69
Major/Minor: International affairs / anthropology
GRE: 167/167/6.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Three years of global public health work both in HQ and in the field.

Applied: Berkeley (Epi/Biostats), Harvard (Global), Emory (Global), Tulane (Global Health Systems), UW Seattle (Global Health Eval and Metrics), Columbia (Epi)
Accepted: Berkeley (2/13), Tulane (2/10), Emory (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Hey....do you mind sharing when your app was submitted to Berkeley

In at Berkeley's MPH in infectious diseases/vaccinology as well as UCLA's MPH in epi!! Actually got the Berkeley email last week and UCLA this week :)

Got my first acceptance today! In at Emory for epi! :D

UGPA: 3.5
Major/Minor: Microbiology and Political Theory
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): N/A
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (9/28/12) 156Q, 161V, 5.5AW
Experience/Research (please, be brief): hospital volunteer for 2 years, hospital internship abroad for 3 months, legal internship at a biotech company for 3 months, student assistant at my university's international center for 3 years, internship w/ county PH dept for 3 months.

Initial submission to SOPHAS 12/21/12.
Verified 1/21/13.

Applied: UC Davis, Emory - Epi (12/21), SDSU - Epi (12/28), UIC - Epi (1/09), UPitt - IDM (1/15)
Accepted: Emory - Epi (2/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Last edited:
Accepted to Brown's MPH program today! I'm very excited since this is my first acceptance letter! They said that I'll be receiving financial assistance from the program. But I won't know the exact amount until they send me another letter. To those of you who also applied to Brown, hope you all get some good news soon!

Congratulations! Did they notify you through email first, then the letter? And could you please post your stats and when you submitted your application if you don't mind?

Last edited:
UCF is awesome! You will love it! I am in the Health Services Administration undergraduate program and I love it. I have had great professors and challenging courses. I hear the grad program is much harder, so be prepared.

In regards to job opportunities, you have great options because UCF is located in a large urban city: Orlando. I am currently interning with Florida Hospital, which is one of the biggest hospital chains in Florida. There are also opportunities with Orlando Health, another large system with several hospitals in Orlando. UCF has a great internship program and a lot of people get jobs after. Talk to Dr. Oetjen or Dr. Sumner if you have any questions. Hope that helps!

Once again thanks for the info.....

Well, with respect to the grad program, I think am more the prepared for it. I have been waiting since 2yrs to make it to the progam. You really have thrown some light on the program, I really appreciate that. As you said I will probably get in touch with Dr. Oetjen or Dr. Sumner for further details.

Lastly How are funding options,as UCF is a public university?

Hey all, I'd like to first thank everyone for such an informative/helpful forum. I'm a long-time lurker and this is my first post.

I've just been accepted into the MPH Program in Health Policy at George Washington University!

Submitted (SOPHAS): January 14, 2013.
Complete: January 27, 2013
Accepted: February 8, 2013

Stats:
UGPA: 3.747, Top US Public University
Major/Minor: Environmental Economics and Policy/None
GRE: 157/158/4.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): One-year funded research project, econometric analysis of household health, presented at conferences and published.
Accepted: George Washington University, MPH in Health Policy

Last edited:
Just got into Emory's Health Policy and Management :) Though NYU is still my first choice, this just gave me more to think about...

Hello good people

I've been one of those fabled lurkers here for a while. These threads have been great so I wanted to contribute - plus I just got my first acceptance so I finally feel ready to share stats!

UGPA: 2.92
Major/Minor: Physiology
GRE: 162V, 158Q, 4.0W
Experience/Research (please, be brief): undergrad study/volunteer abroad in South Africa HIV orphan center, 6 months with Michigan state health department assisting on a cancer genetics study, 2 years in Peace Corps Botswana as a health volunteer with an HIV-focused assignment

Applied: Columbia, Michigan, Emory, Yale, GWU, NYU (Wagner) - all for Health Policy and Management - submitted to SOPHAS 12/20, verified 1/24, mailed 1/30
Accepted: Emory (2/13)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Good luck pushing through the anxiety of waiting!

Accepted into Johns Hopkins MPH Programme last night.

Bittersweet as I haven't been able to obtain enough external funding.

Just received an acceptance email for university of Minnesota!

UGPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Envrionmental Health Science (accredited undergraduate program)
GRE (including date taken): September 2012
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- EHS Intern for medical manufacturing company
-VP of EHS clubs on campus
-various volunteering (most with the American Red Cross)
Sophas submitted 11/26 mailed 12/28

Applied: UTexas-Houston, UIowa, UMinn,UCLA, UIC, UPitt (all ehs)
Accepted:UTexas-Houston, UIC, UIowa, UMinn

Just received an acceptance email for university of Minnesota!

Congrats! :thumbup: Did they notify you of any scholarship info anything like that? I received an acceptance from them as well but haven't been told of any other info.

Last edited:
Congrats! :thumbup: Did they notify you of any scholarship info anything like that? I received an acceptance from them as well but haven't been told of any other info.

Same here. I called and they said we might hear of awards in March or to call dept. My email had a video and no other written info like adviser, etc. Hope to get something in the mail:)

Unfortunately all I received was the video. I'm hoping to hear more about funding in the coming weeks.

I applied to the Hopkins full-time MPH and am eager to hear back as I see some folks on other forums have heard.

Anyone hear heard good or bad news from Hopkins recently?

I sent in my application quite late (long story behind that) on December 20th (they let you submit up to a month after the official deadline which was December 1st). I know they processed it on January 2nd, but have heard nothing back yet.

Sounds like it could take 8-10 weeks, in which case I'm waiting about two more weeks to be on the early side of that.

I'm getting eager to know! :oops:

Got a no from Yale; not really surprised, but I could use some good news.

Got a no from Yale; not really surprised, but I could use some good news.

You ARE going to get in some where and it is going to be GREAT:) Stay positive my friend. I was crushed when I got denied by Hopkins, but I'm not out of the fight yet..hehe

You ARE going to get in some where and it is going to be GREAT:) Stay positive my friend. I was crushed when I got denied by Hopkins, but I'm not out of the fight yet..hehe

Aw, thanks, it's just been a tough few months in my personal life so I was hoping to start with good news--but hopefully better news will come for both of us, and everyone else whom got bad news initially.

Good luck to you! :)

Me too! I am really excited about making a decision. It's also exciting to see someone talking about Brown!

Yay! Congrats!! Do you think you'll be attending?

Congratulations! Did they notify you through email first, then the letter? And could you please post your stats and when you submitted your application if you don't mind?

Thank you! They sent me an email and asked me to log into the portal that we used to apply. From the portal, there's a link to the decision letter. The following day, I got an email from the MPH program with details for scholarship and costs.

UGPA: 3.2 (top 10 university)
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry
GRE (May, 2012): V155, Q164, W4.5
Experience/Research: 2 laboratory-based biomedical research experiences (one on HIV detection and another on yeast genome stability), volunteered for an epidemiology research group at nearby school of public health (HPV and cervical cancer studies), working part-time as a clinical trials assistant

Submitted Brown's app on 12/18; application received on 12/19; application completed on 1/11; admitted on 2/13

UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :highfive:

Healthy Policy and Management...

I'll fill the rest out later. It's 2AM, I just woke up to go to the bathroom, and I just happen to be checking my phone.

...back to bed. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Received a late night email from UCLA. It says they have recommended me for admission, but it is not official until Graduate Division makes official decision. Can anyone clarify what that means, should I be celebrating!?

Stats:
Experience/Research (please, be brief): One-year funded research project, econometric analysis of household health, presented at conferences and published.
Accepted:
George Washington University, MPH in Health Policy
UCLA, MPH in Health Policy and Management

Received a late night email from UCLA. It says they have recommended me for admission, but it is not official until Graduate Division makes official decision. Can anyone clarify what that means, should I be celebrating!?

Stats:
Accepted:
George Washington University, MPH in Health Policy
UCLA, MPH in Health Policy and Management

I would totally celebrate! Congratulations! The "Graduate Division makes officials admissions decisions" is a formality in the UC system because in reality it is the individual programs/departments who choose the applicants they wish to offer spots on the course.

Congratulations again! :D

UCLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :highfive:

Healthy Poicy and Management...

I'll fill the rest out later. It's 2AM, I just woke up to go to the bathroom, and I just happen to be checking my phone.

...back to bed. :)

Here you go:

***My profile/stats are on the first page of this thread.***

UCLA (MPH, Health Policy Track & Global Health Certificate):
10/30, submitted to SOPHAS
11/14, mailed by SOPHAS
11/30, submitted GradApp (online)
12/14, confirmation email/app sent to dept
2/14, admitted (via e-mail/Word Doc attachment)

***On the attachment I was assigned a faculty liaison "based on [my] personal statement and career interests.***

Good luck to everyone still waiting to hear from UCLA! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I was assigned a faculty liaison as well, someone I actually mentioned in my personal statement! It's great they match us with a relevant connection to ask our questions to, will make the process much better.

UCLA was a top choice, I'm thrilled! Good luck, all!

Got admitted to Full time Mph program at Hopkins :D .. but no scholarships :scared:

Got admitted to Full time Mph program at Hopkins :D .. but no scholarships :scared:

Congrats!

When did you submit your app? When was it processed? When did you hear back and how? (I've heard that in the past, Hopkins hasn't sent notification emails, which leads me to frantically check the website quite regularly....)