Rejection Thread (If you are depressed, please avoid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received a rejection post-interview? How did they let you know? I have a feeling I'll be rejected, but feel like I deserve more than just a form letter. Right now I just want to know!!!

If you look on the first page of this thread, you'll see that I recieved a post-interview rejection almost two weeks ago. I received a form letter in the mail, which was sent to my hone address (not my current address). So yeah, it sucks, but I'm lucky that I have a couple of other interviews coming up.

Members don't see this ad.

Just in case anyone is still waiting on Rutgers. I checked my online application status. It said I was denied. Also, I received a rejection letter from Idaho State University. I hope this is helpful information.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that is the Rutgers PsyD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all. I too received a rejection from Idaho State. The letter was actually harsh and inconsiderate, which makes me thankful that they didn't chose me. They didn't just say they weren't interested, they commented that applicants who were not chosen had "noticable differences" in GPA, GRE, etc. Then, it proceedes to remind me how competitive graduate programs are and informs me "there are many routes to professional careers in the mental health fields, however."

I don't expect these programs to sugar coat the rejections, but did they have to make me feel like I was ridiculous for even applying? and that they did not feel confident that I would gain acceptance anywhere and should consider alternate routes in the field?

A simple sentence saying I wasn't chosen would have been just fine, thank you! Sorry to rant but I really think they were out of line.:mad:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that is the Rutgers PsyD.

My status still says "undecided." I know other people have complained about this, but it is really weird to not be invited for an interview but also not to be outright rejected. Does that mean I've been waitlisted for the interview? Come on, now. Blargh.

Hi all. I too received a rejection from Idaho State. The letter was actually harsh and inconsiderate, which makes me thankful that they didn't chose me. They didn't just say they weren't interested, they commented that applicants who were not chosen had "noticable differences" in GPA, GRE, etc. Then, it proceedes to remind me how competitive graduate programs are and informs me "there are many routes to professional careers in the mental health fields, however."

I don't expect these programs to sugar coat the rejections, but did they have to make me feel like I was ridiculous for even applying? and that they did not feel confident that I would gain acceptance anywhere and should consider alternate routes in the field?

A simple sentence saying I wasn't chosen would have been just fine, thank you! Sorry to rant but I really think they were out of line.:mad:

I felt the same way, like I have no business applying to Doctoral programs. I'm getting very discouraged with this whole process. I felt that their program was a good match. I guess I was wrong and I won't be applying there again. This is my first time applying and I'm starting to wonder if Clinical is a good match. I was pretty honest that my intentions are to become a practicianer. Anyway, I'm sorry you received the same letter.

I felt the same way, like I have no business applying to Doctoral programs. I'm getting very discouraged with this whole process. I felt that their program was a good match. I guess I was wrong and I won't be applying there again. This is my first time applying and I'm starting to wonder if Clinical is a good match. I was pretty honest that my intentions are to become a practicianer. Anyway, I'm sorry you received the same letter.

That's so rude!!! PLEASE don't let their actions discourage you. Maybe you all can work together to file some sort of a complaint.

My status still says "undecided." I know other people have complained about this, but it is really weird to not be invited for an interview but also not to be outright rejected. Does that mean I've been waitlisted for the interview? Come on, now. Blargh.

I have the same thing, no email but no decision. They should just let us know about whats up!

Rejected post-interview from Texas Tech counseling program--well, technically waitlisted as an alternate but I doubt that's going anywhere. :(

I know what you mean, the process is discouraging. But, I try to keep in mind that these are people who really are not getting a complete picture of who you are, how you will be in the field. They are evaluating on what I think is a short supply of information actually. In the case of Idaho, I think they may have lost touch with the fact that applicants are people who have worked hard to even be at a point of applying, often dedicating years to preperation. We deserve a degree of respect just for that and, honestly, how are they training clinicians when respecting who someone is as an individual is at the very basis of working with people? Sorry that you received such a harsh letter and, if clinical work is something you really want to pursue, don't give up based on this school. I thought it would be a good match, too. I had my heart set on going there as well, but I think it is working out for the best. I hope the same goes for you.:)

I called the admissions at Fairleigh Dickinson and I was kindly told that I will "receive a letter"...I asked, yes, a rejection letter :mad:. The lady was very sweet about it, but still..aarrrrgggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. I still have a few schools out there that I have not been rejected from but also have not received interviews to. So, we'll see.

Members don't see this ad :)
darn, that means miami prolly sent me my rejection before I could withdraw...well, at least i don't have to. i live in ny, so maybe it's taking awhile to get here :p

The rejection letter from U Michigan was actually kinda heartfelt.
"I am sorry that I could not bring you happier news in this letter."
That kinda softened the blow.

Rejected post-interview from Texas Tech counseling program--well, technically waitlisted as an alternate but I doubt that's going anywhere. :(

Hey, this goes for all: don't interpret being an alternate as being rejected! Seriously! Remember, most professors can only accept one student at a time. Let's say they accept a really competitive candidate, who also gets 3 other offers. That means they have a 75% chance of turning that offer down, and if you're the first alternate, it will go to you! You also shouldn't view being an alternate as being turned down. Your POI probably got dozens and dozens (literally-- my adviser typically gets over 50 each year) of applications and only can accept one-- so being ranked second is damn good! If they didn't like you, they'd reject you outright. My guess (and this is a total stab) is that at least 50%, and probably more, of people in any given clinical program get in off the wait list.

Hey, this goes for all: don't interpret being an alternate as being rejected! Seriously! Remember, most professors can only accept one student at a time. Let's say they accept a really competitive candidate, who also gets 3 other offers. That means they have a 75% chance of turning that offer down, and if you're the first alternate, it will go to you! You also shouldn't view being an alternate as being turned down. Your POI probably got dozens and dozens (literally-- my adviser typically gets over 50 each year) of applications and only can accept one-- so being ranked second is damn good! If they didn't like you, they'd reject you outright. My guess (and this is a total stab) is that at least 50%, and probably more, of people in any given clinical program get in off the wait list.

Well, in this particular case, I'm assuming I'm screwed with my waitlist as the 2 other students who interviewed with my POI only had the one interview offer (as of this point). I highly suspect that neither would turn down the acceptance if that's the only one they hold. :D We shall see though. Still hoping that I get in with the program I interview at later this week . . . it's been ranked my first choice for some time now. I hate waiting!

darn, that means miami prolly sent me my rejection before I could withdraw :p

Heh - I had one school send me a rejection letter after I declined to attend their interview. I was like, "You can't fire me! I quit!"

Rejection from University of California Santa Barbara, here.
Edit: From the School program working with Dr. Furlong and Dr. Jimerson.

I emailed the Duquesne Clin Psych PhD admin asst to check status and was told I had been rejected. They have sent out interview invitations already I guess.

U Denver Child Clinical s-nail mail. Came sometime late last week.

I got a snail mail rejection from Louisville back in Jan, and then a second one yesterday. Just in case I didn't get it the first time I suppose...

I got a snail mail rejection from Louisville back in Jan, and then a second one yesterday. Just in case I didn't get it the first time I suppose...
Talk about a hitting you while you are down....seeing a 2nd letter, "Maybe they made a mistakes?!!"

*opens letter*

"Oh, thanks. Just when I thought there was a glimmer of hope"

*tosses letter in the trash*

-t

I've been officially denied admission in Industrial/organizational from
University of Minnesota
Penn State University
George Mason University

I got a rejection letter today from Central Michigan University - clinical Ph.D.

Irish, you forgot to add my rejection from Fairleigh Dickinson University on the master list. I was told over the phone.

Irish, you forgot to add my rejection from Fairleigh Dickinson University on the master list. I was told over the phone.

Did you call them and initiate it? I just haven't been listing them unless it is something they sent out or initiated so I am just trying to be consistent with that.

I really hope that you initiated it, it would be awfully harsh otherwise, not that rejection is ever fun!

I wish schools would hurry up and reject me already. It's pretty obvious that I'm not interviewing anywhere, so I'd just like to get the rejections in the mail and call it a day. lol. I feel like I've aged twenty years this month just waiting to be rejected.

I received an "official" rejection letter... oh yeah...

Northwestern at Chicago is finally posted online (what I've known for the past few weeks, haha). It said it was posted yesterday.

Did you call them and initiate it? I just haven't been listing them unless it is something they sent out or initiated so I am just trying to be consistent with that.

I really hope that you initiated it, it would be awfully harsh otherwise, not that rejection is ever fun!

Yeah, I called them! They said that I have been sent a letter...not the type I would wish for.. BOOOOOO! :mad:

I received the rejection letter today from PSU. It had a lot of typos, so why would I want to attend a program where the faculty does not know how to use spell check anyways :p

I wish schools would hurry up and reject me already. It's pretty obvious that I'm not interviewing anywhere, so I'd just like to get the rejections in the mail and call it a day. lol. I feel like I've aged twenty years this month just waiting to be rejected.

I completly agree! They could just hurry it up so I don't have to waste my time holding on to that last shred of hope anymore. :scared:

Its finally official. I got a letter in the mail today that told me I was rejected from Berkeley (PhD).

Dangit, I bet I'll get one too. Grr... I didn't want to live in California anyway, so there! :p

Sadly, the one program that I thought was really geared toward people with my background, has rejected me via their online application. I know it's totally competitive, and it was probably out of my league...but a Duckygirl can dream, can't she? Three official rejections, two interviews, and ten schools in application process purgatory looming over me! Three of those ten are schools that have sent out official rejections that I have yet to receive...but it seems totally unlikely I'm in any kind of position to hear from them. Here's to holding out hope!

I've received rejections from Duke and UT-Austin today, both are online.

Bluelight, did you interview at Duke? Not sure if I should look or not, though I will...

No, I didn't interview at Duke. They sent me an e-mail first to ask me to check the online status.

Got my rejection letter from George Mason today in the mail. I'm at three rejections and nine I-have-no-idea-what's-going-on limbo states. lol

Irish, I just noticed U of Alabama's not on the list. Rejections were sent out by the profs via email in January.

I got a rejection letter in the mail a few days ago from U of Iowa.

Haven't had any contact from the following schools so I think I've been rejected:

BU, Florida, Virginia Tech, UArizona, Northwestern Feinberg.

Haven't had any contact from the following schools so I think I've been rejected:

Your Florida situation seems strange to me. U of F sent me notification of my "alternate to interview" status and others rejections (not to mention some invitations--one can only hope). How come they have not gotten back to you?

Your Florida situation seems strange to me. U of F sent me notification of my "alternate to interview" status and others rejections (not to mention some invitations--one can only hope). How come they have not gotten back to you?

Ericmh, is it for clinical or counseling at Florida? Thanks

I haven't heard from Virginia Tech either. I emailed the head of the Clinical program last week and received a response saying if I didn't hear from them in the next couple of weeks, then my chances of being accepted are minimal. It's been one week now, so maybe the next week will bring something.

I applied to the clinical program and phoned them to make sure they got my materials in time, which they did and said that my application is complete. I haven't heard a peep since. No worries though, I got into my top choice.

I applied to the clinical program and phoned them to make sure they got my materials in time, which they did and said that my application is complete. I haven't heard a peep since. No worries though, I got into my top choice.

AWESOME Sorg! Sorry I missed that in the threads earlier. Good for you.

Have you checked your status online at Northwestern Feinberg? I know a few people have posted that they received a rejection online. If you still have no decision I would contact the graduate secretary. She is really nice and has been helpful setting up my interview there.

I have also received no definite answer from Virginia tech about my application status when I have tried to call them.

Since you have been accepted to your top choice, have you notified other programs where you were given offers from. I am waited listed at one of those places, and it is one of my top choices, so I just want to know where I stand with them. Thanks!