Rejections from Cornell, NYU or BIDMC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MypetCat

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have heard from all the programs I applied to except for these three: Beth Israel Deaconness, NYU, Cornell.

Anyone one heard of rejections from these programs yet? Are they just slow in rejecting, or annoying me with the last pile considerations?

Members don't see this ad.

MypetCat said:
Hey guys, I have heard from all the programs I applied to except for these three: Beth Israel Deaconness, NYU, Cornell.

Anyone one heard of rejections from these programs yet? Are they just slow in rejecting, or annoying me with the last pile considerations?
I am in the same situation with Cornell, albeit I applied late: specifically, the last day before the deadline.
BIDMC offered me an interview 2 days after applying (also applied late)
Don't know about NYU.
I think it works to our advantage to be offered late interviews
Good luck

thanks, that helps. Good luck to you too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that BIDMC would be sending out their last set of letters on Wednesday, probably meaning that there are going to be a lot of rejections on their way.

argh said:
I was told that BIDMC would be sending out their last set of letters on Wednesday, probably meaning that there are going to be a lot of rejections on their way.

yep, got the axe from BIDMC today :mad:
Although I'm bummed, I was totally expecting it so I'll live.. just don't tell the Deans at my school, they don't like people to apply anywhere out of their league.

irlandesa said:
yep, got the axe from BIDMC today :mad:
Although I'm bummed, I was totally expecting it so I'll live.. just don't tell the Deans at my school, they don't like people to apply anywhere out of their league.
I am sorry Irlandesa, as I know you were expecting the BIDMC interview. However, I seem to recall that you got Yale? Is that not better than BIDMC?
Also, what do you mean by "out of their league"?

that is stupid. i don't think any of these programs are "out of your league" just because you didn't get an interview there. every program has a different focus and how are you supposed to know what place is right for you until you apply?

anyway sorry about the bad news but it seems that you have plenty of other quality programs to choose from.

irlandesa said:
.. just don't tell the Deans at my school, they don't like people to apply anywhere out of their league.

Hey Irlandesa, based on what you wrote earlier...I don't think BID was out of your league. I just think this whole process is so random....

Hi, I'm new to posting, but I too got rejected from BI yesterday. I am frustrated about the whole process. It seems like people who are not as good candidates as I am (lower step 1 scores, etc) got interviews at Harvard prgrams, whereas I didn't. I guess I just don't get this whole process. I give up.

ACSlater said:
Hi, I'm new to posting, but I too got rejected from BI yesterday. I am frustrated about the whole process. It seems like people who are not as good candidates as I am (lower step 1 scores, etc) got interviews at Harvard prgrams, whereas I didn't. I guess I just don't get this whole process. I give up.

you and me both.. I can't help but be slightly p.o'ed at Hahvard and Tufts for goofing around at getting my grade from BIDMC posted in time.. I think the reason my colleague from a mid-tier state school with class rank just slightly higher than mine (basically, her school doesn't give Passes, while our school is not so kind in the Surgery dept.) got an interview was that she was allowed by her school to have a fellow fill out her grade sheet, and my school found this unacceptable. Also, she had already taken an ID rotation before and had an impressive knowledge base, and wants to go into that specialty for sure. so I guess more power to her. oh well, nothing I can do about it now, and otherwise have been really fortunate as far as interviews.

As for the comment about our Deans, our Deans have a history of telling all but the very best students to not even bother to apply to BWH, etc., b/c they fear too many rejections or failure to match at BWH would bring down the reputation of our school. So I'm sure that they would squirm quite a bit to know that I took a risk in applying to a Harvard affiliate. Not surprisingly, we are the only school in New England that has not sent anyone to BWH (prelim or categorical IM) for the past 2 years. sorry if I sound bitter, I'll get over it;)

Got the axe from BIDMC today - surprisingly, the PD sent me a personalized e-mail with the rejection, which was a bit strange (considering that it's a Saturday).

Pedro

adios89 said:
Got the axe from BIDMC today - surprisingly, the PD sent me a personalized e-mail with the rejection, which was a bit strange (considering that it's a Saturday).

Pedro

that IS a bit odd.. was the PD's letter to say that you were a great candidate notwithstanding the rejection, or was it just a second rejection letter? If the former, I think it is rather poor form that I didn't get a personalized e-mail from the PD since I did a rotation there and didn't bomb it (at least I don't think so, one of the attendings wrote me a letter and I thought the rotation was fun!).. Or if not a personalized letter to me, one to my letter writer from BIDMC thanking her for her letter but saying they could not interview me would be polite as well.