Repost: (Perhaps nontrad due to major and/or gap year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Best option?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • C

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

southernfish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduating from a top 40 LAC in New England with a B.A. in Chem and Math in 3 years, GPA is kind of low, not perfect but above 3.5. I've done computational BPC research for about two years and going now, but my app looks like I'm set on the PhD/research track. My advisor thinks I need something during my gap year to convince adcoms that I really want to go into clinical medicine rather than research, and I completely agree.

Timeframe: taking STEM classes for my edification now, will be done in June. I am trying to study for the mcat now, but people have told me it is not reasonable to do so with the classes I'm taking now (and I accede that is true, as I have been wearing myself thin :( ).

Should I:
a) Focus on the mcat post grad, finish it by Oct and submit all my apps, then work a job (does industry matter? I've worked in a physician's practice during HS and through college). Then do the MPH the next year if I don't get into a school that is a good fit, and apply in Oct. 2018 to start in Sept 2019? (Pros: better mcat=better options, Cons: age... :()

b) Start the MPH this Aug, with a part-time job on the side, take the mcat by Aug 2018, apply in Oct 2018, start in Sept 2019.

c) Hurry up, finish the mcat by July end (trial run), start the MPH in Aug. If my score isn't as high as I want, take it again by mid-Sept, send that score; if it is high enough, get a part-time job on the side to help alleviate some of the debt burden I'll have. Then go to whichever of the schools that I get into and is the best fit (Pros: less time 'wasted' not in school, Cons: hasty, less of a guarantee).

Thanks!

Edit: When I say apply in (month), I mean during that app cycle - I will be submitting all apps well ahead of the deadline, by August at the latest!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
A is probably the best option but October is not an ideal time to send in an application. You want to apply early because admissions are rolling and close by November. Submitting your app in October could limit your chances at a decent number of secondaries or IIs. Also, it is not recommended to retake the MCAT. Just study hard and take it once (really, who wants to go through a 7-hour test twice?). In order to maximize your chances at acceptances, I would probably submit my app in the summer of 2018 (or maybe September).
Then again, take my advice with a grain of salt. Most (if not all) of my understanding of the md application process has come form surfing this website on a regular basis.

When does your program finish, early May? If you can immediately start studying full-time for the MCAT and take it mid-July, you can have your apps to med schools complete in mid-August which is much, much better than October. Def don't do a master's program just to kill a year.

Members don't see this ad :)
When does your program finish, early May? If you can immediately start studying full-time for the MCAT and take it mid-July, you can have your apps to med schools complete in mid-August which is much, much better than October. Def don't do a master's program just to kill a year.
My program ends in early June. I don't think even <2 months is adequate time to prepare for the MCAT and achieve a high score, unfortunately. Also, when I said apply in (month), I meant apply by that deadline to start the next year (I will be sending off apps during the summer).

none of them.

Rule 1: Take a Breath

taking the MCAT late and then applying late for a less than stellar candidate is a high risk venture. You need to do very well on the MCAT and apply early. Since none of your paths include that, your seriously need to consider delaying application until next cycle. You should not take a "trial run" on the MCAT as all scores will be reported even if you take it again

MPH is worth nearly nothing in terms of GPA enhancement nor will it have a tremendous impact on looking more clinical.

Worrying about your age is a self-imposed risk feeling the need to rush and get the MCAT. I send people to med school in the 30's 40's and even 50's

Your plan is a very risky path, with a lack of understanding on timing, on how the MCAT will work, what MPH will do, etc.

You need to stop this place, focus on doing well on MCAT on your first try, applying early next cycle
I meant I will submit my app in time for the Oct 2017 deadline. I am working on apps now, so I will submit all apps by August at the latest.
I agree about the self-imposed feeling, but I do have financial reasons for this, as I am a dependent of two soon-to-be retirees. Neither do I want to be in the position of taking odd jobs for more than the interim period to support myself.
In this case, I think A would be the best option...

yes that was understood by all and I think that shows a bit of your naivety in this. Most applicants have their application complete (primary, secondary, MCAT and LOR by the end of September. There are a finite number of interview slots, and rolling admissions that, simply by the numbers of applicants and available space, being complete by early September is early, late September is on time, and October is already late. Trying to first prep and take the MCAT, and prepare applications at the same time, both task which need to be done very well, seems like a high risk to take. Additionally applying in a weak position now and then being rejected would put you into a weak position next term as a reapplicant. Dont do it my friend
If I get a high enough MCAT, I think I have a good chance at Category 3 schools (also have residency for a few of these). If I wait another year to apply, and don't get in anywhere, I'll be applying again in the Oct 2019 cycle to start in 2020. If I don't apply during this cycle, I have no benchmark for progress on how I should try to further improve my app.
It may come across as though I'm rushing things, but taking more than a gap year is not necessary in my opinion, unless I'm aiming at Category 1 or 2 schools. I've taken a gap year during high school before, and I utilized it well, but I cannot see myself doing it again for more than a year.

Last edited: