Research During Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGalvaniFrog

Dissected & Electrocuted
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be going to med school (MD, not MD/PhD) this coming fall and would like to do lab research during the school year. As I have taken the majority of the typical 1st medical school classes in my current graduate program, I feel I can reasonably expect to devote 15-20 hrs per week to do research.

Has anyone here been able to get a part time position in a lab during the school year? If so, how did you obtain it and how was the experience? I will probably be going to a school where I don't have any contacts, so networking from people I know is out.

By the way, I had previous full-time research experience and publications, but not in the field I would like to get into.

Thanks for any inputs.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be going to med school (MD, not MD/PhD) this coming fall and would like to do lab research during the school year. As I have taken the majority of the typical 1st medical school classes in my current graduate program, I feel I can reasonably expect to devote 15-20 hrs per week to do research.

Has anyone here been able to get a part time position in a lab during the school year? If so, how did you obtain it and how was the experience? I will probably be going to a school where I don't have any contacts, so networking from people I know is out.

By the way, I had previous full-time research experience and publications, but not in the field I would like to get into.

Thanks for any inputs.
As a former PhD student now in med school, I would recommend that you NOT try to do research during your first semester. Med school classes are not like grad school classes, and you do not know yet how much time you will have to devote to studying until you get there. At least wait for a few months until you take your first couple of exams to make sure that you have the time.

As far as finding a lab goes, read up on people in the area of your interest and contact them. I don't know how it will be at your school, but at mine, the PIs are very happy on the whole to work with med students. Best of luck to you. :)

I agree with Q - I would hold off for a while. Most any lab will let you work (for free) on a project. But, I'm sure that you could get them to hire you as a student worker or technician to make a little dough.