Research Experience for PhD/ Funded PsyD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aexander

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!

I've looked around and found similar threads but none quite addressing what I'm looking for. Also, I know there's a place for "what are my chances" threads, but what I'm looking for is a bit more specific so hopefully I'm not in the wrong for posting this here.

I'm looking to be a clinical neuropsychologist through a funded program, as I've been led not to trust most of those that aren't. Problem is that I only have a 3.05 GPA with human physiology and psychology majors, yet I have a collective few years of experience as an RA in three different neuropsych labs and a couple thousand hours of caregiving experience mostly with mentally disabled residents. Most of the people I see here though still seem to claim that you must have legitimate research experience to stand a chance with funded programs.

Is this type of research experience a must given my record? How held back am I given my GPA? Am I wasting my time applying without an MS first? Is there another route I'm unaware of? Would I only stand a chance with paid PsyD programs? Do I even stand a chance with those given my GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello All!

I've looked around and found similar threads but none quite addressing what I'm looking for. Also, I know there's a place for "what are my chances" threads, but what I'm looking for is a bit more specific so hopefully I'm not in the wrong for posting this here.

I'm looking to be a clinical neuropsychologist through a funded program, as I've been led not to trust most of those that aren't. Problem is that I only have a 3.05 GPA with human physiology and psychology majors, yet I have a collective few years of experience as an RA in three different neuropsych labs and a couple thousand hours of caregiving experience mostly with mentally disabled residents. Most of the people I see here though still seem to claim that you must have legitimate research experience to stand a chance with funded programs.

Is this type of research experience a must given my record? How held back am I given my GPA? Am I wasting my time applying without an MS first? Is there another route I'm unaware of? Would I only stand a chance with paid PsyD programs? Do I even stand a chance with those given my GPA?

What do you mean by "legitimate research experience?"

Research experience required for funded programs are about both quality and quantity. It's about what you you did in your research experience, what you learned from it, and how it demonstrates that you're ready for graduate studies. Having publications and/or conference presentations from your research are great ways to demonstrate this, but you can also do it through your personal statements.

I could be wrong, but your GPA is probably more of a pressing issue than your research or clinical experience. Have you taken the GRE? Even if you clobbered it, you might still need to complete a terminal master's program to demonstrate your academic abilities.