Research in high school.. does it count?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked on a biochem/genetics research project in high school at a university. I should be able to include this on my app right?

Members don't see this ad.

I worked on a biochem/genetics research project in high school at a university. I should be able to include this on my app right?

The general rule is that high school diesn't count.

Possibly exempt if you continued the research into college or had publications.

second that response. post-secondary experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will go against the prevailing wisdom here and say "go for it" - you say you did it at a university - were you taking a class concurrently? Even if not, if it was truly significant research, I would list it...

But if you have had no research since then, it may beg the question of "why hasn't this applicant done more research since high school?" so it could cast some doubts on your interests in research, assuming that is why you are listing it in the first place...

I think any type of university-level research experience will help you on applications, doing so while still in high school shows that you really know your stuff; however, I think it would be in your best interest to include projects that you were apart of while in college as well. The research experience in HS is great, but it just looks better if you either continued such research in college, or were apart of other projects. What you might want to do is mention this research as an intro to other listed research activities; that way at least you'll mention it without having to devote one of the 15 segments totally to the experience.