This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tourocom2008

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all. I am a third year looking at how many residencies I should apply to. I am from a midwestern osteopathic school and would only like to apply to residencies in the southeast (Florida, Georgia, SC, NC, Tennessee, Alabama, Louisiana, Arkansas, Texas, Oklahoma). I have minimal connections to the region other than living in Alabama for 2 years after college (I took 4 gap years). I am applying to psychiatry. I am only planning on doing maybe one away rotation (I have a kid at home). How many programs do you all think I should apply to? I have a list of 30 down there so far (pretty much all outside very large metropolises-Dallas, Atlanta, Houston, Miami, I would like to be able to afford a house). Many don't look that competitive however I am from out of town and am a DO. I did not take USMLE but got just under 600 on the comlex. Also never did any research during medical school, a little bit prior, but no papers or anything of that nature. Thank you all for the help.