Residency Applicant Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I wrote that I meant it more of a no matter how much you have sense. I can see where that could have been misunderstood though.
I figured you probably did. Wanted to clarify for anyone reading. I'm disappointed because although I have an eligible job for loan forgiveness, I don't have enough in federal loans (have a HPSL and private loan though :rolleyes: ) to qualify for IBR and thus PSLF. Poop.

Members don't see this ad.

my stalking skillz > Z's

Members don't see this ad :)
most jobs only pay for one meeting so we'll see whether it's Pitt or the Big Easy. Most likely I'll do Pitt though.

most jobs only pay for one meeting so we'll see whether it's Pitt or the Big Easy. Most likely I'll do Pitt though.

Is that where ASHP is this year?

Actually a lot of my stuff is used in publication...and studies

I know...I kid, I kid.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll have the time/funding to go to Pitt next year. I'm hoping I do, because it's definitely a better conference.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCP is in Pittsburgh.
ASHP is in New Orleans.

I am grading P3 SOAP notes. Looking for distractions! (watching the Arizona game. Bear Down!)

I know...I kid, I kid.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I'll have the time/funding to go to Pitt next year. I'm hoping I do, because it's definitely a better conference.

I did it out of pocket this year - they gave me the professional time off to do it.

See if you can present something, some times they can find money if you do that. Even if it's your research from school (my current residency could've scrounged up funding if I had a poster or something)

Chit we are 8 months away

And I just remembered I dread going to ashp

I did it out of pocket this year - they gave me the professional time off to do it.

See if you can present something, some times they can find money if you do that. Even if it's your research from school (my current residency could've scrounged up funding if I had a poster or something)

Maybe I'll see if I can get something together in the next few months...

I bet 4th ave was ridonk last night.

Chit we are 8 months away

And I just remembered I dread going to ashp

Whatever. You like to walk around and pick the posters to death I'm sure. You're "that guy".

Anyone had any luck scrambling? I haven't heard much since Wednesday. I am applying to AmCare/Community sites so I guess they are all in Seattle. I am going crazy and am in the dumps about not matching again this year when I know I am a qualified candidate.

Anyone had any luck scrambling? I haven't heard much since Wednesday. I am applying to AmCare/Community sites so I guess they are all in Seattle. I am going crazy and am in the dumps about not matching again this year when I know I am a qualified candidate.

Only one person out of about 10 has successfully scrambled in my class so far.....

I know of one successful scrambler. He had an "in" at the facility he's headed to.

So did the one I know. She had such an "in" that as soon as the phone call was made the facility decided not to even bother calling anyone else.

So did the one I know. She had such an "in" that as soon as the phone call was made the facility decided not to even bother calling anyone else.

Sort of the same thing with the guy I know. Long time employee. Had tried to match out of state but didn't. I think that the hospital was happy to get him b/c at least he's a known quantity. Honestly, the scramble is probably kind of scary for facilities. You have to make fairly quick decisions with limited information about the candidates.

Honestly, the scramble is probably kind of scary for facilities. You have to make fairly quick decisions with limited information about the candidates.

:thumbup:You have no idea....

You always question the reasons the candidate didn;t match in the first place. Most of the time it is bad luck or the applied to very competitive programs. Sometimes they are just bad candidates.

:thumbup:You have no idea....

You always question the reasons the candidate didn;t match in the first place. Most of the time it is bad luck or the applied to very competitive programs. Sometimes they are just bad candidates.

I talked to the outgoing resident at that facility yesterday and she said that it was very stressful. Obviously there are some really good students in the scramble, but for every hottie there's bound to be a few notties. You don't have the *time* to really dig into their qualifications to try to tease those nuances out.

I feel kind of bad because I've worked at that facility for several years and applied for their residency too. I had a good interview and for the majority of the process, they were my #1 pick. But then the program I thought would be my backup turned out to be the one I really loved. So I ranked it #1 and my home facility #2. I would have been happy to end up there. But I got my #1 and when I saw that BOTH my home facility's spots went into the scramble I felt guilty. :(

I'm relieved to know that they got at least one good candidate who has (if nothing else) a strong history of solid work as a tech/intern at that facility. I'm not familiar with the particulars of his CV and he goes to a different COP. So I can't really appraise his academic qualifications. I just know he's a good worker and works hard. I'm happy for both the candidate and the hospital. :thumbup:

so the scramble is not going so hot for me right now. i am still trying to convince myself to accept the kool aid and that it's better to get any residency than no residency...and i can always apply next year...

this is even worse than being the last kid picked. at least you get picked. can i play calvinball?

Whatever. You like to walk around and pick the posters to death I'm sure. You're "that guy".

ha, i think going around to resident poster session is what got me a couple interviews. that, or the residents were trolling me and set me up for fake interview :(

psychoandy - are you finding that there are positions still open?

i was referred by one of my preceptors yesterday to a program that still has a couple openings. other than that, hard to say. i got 1 generic consideration email, 1 "we filled our position", and 2 have not emailed me at all.

Good luck to everyone who is scrambling! I just found out about some of the people who did not match from my school, and I am surprised - these are some of the most qualified applicants. There are a lot of qualified applicants out there. Two of the students from my school have already scrambled, and many more are in the process. But we had a huge number of students applying for residencies this year.

But I got my #1 and when I saw that BOTH my home facility's spots went into the scramble I felt guilty. :(

I think it is good that you are going to a different facility. You'll get a lot of out seeing how things are done differently at different hospitals. I'm very happy to hear you matched at your #1! Your strength through everything is amazing and you were able to come out on top through it all.

i was referred by one of my preceptors yesterday to a program that still has a couple openings. other than that, hard to say. i got 1 generic consideration email, 1 "we filled our position", and 2 have not emailed me at all.

I wish you the best of luck! I don't know if you are interested in relocating but we had a number of open spots in this state and only two colleges of pharmacy. Don't know how many scramblers there were from UKy but we only had one or two at my school. And the spots were not in overly rural areas either. I can give you more info if you would like.

Hang in there! :luck:

I think it is good that you are going to a different facility. You'll get a lot of out seeing how things are done differently at different hospitals. I'm very happy to hear you matched at your #1! Your strength through everything is amazing and you were able to come out on top through it all.

Thank you! It really means a lot. I've very excited about the future!

The residencies at my school went to students from my school. But our local VA didn't get any students from either local pharmacy school (their spots went to Scramble). Our local academic teaching hospital took one local student and three from out of state (ETSU, Florida and Wayne State I think). The big community healthcare system here has three spots and I know at least one of them went to a local student. I'd be curious to know who matched at UKentucky Hospital. Last year they took zero UK pharmacy students. I haven't heard this year.

Two students from UK COP matched into UK's PGY1 this year. It's a lot better from the 0 they took last year, haha.

Two students from UK COP matched into UK's PGY1 this year. It's a lot better from the 0 they took last year, haha.

That is better! That's good. I was suprised last year when they took NO ONE. Those were my former classmates and I didn't think they were THAT bad, hehe. :)

Can we get an anonymous thread going to post the stats for people who matched? I feel like it would be a useful (but somewhat biased) guide to pharmacy students who are looking at what sort of things they should be doing. I'd be happy to post information anonymously for people, I'd just like to know if anyone else thinks this would be useful.

Take a look at some of the medical specialty forums to get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Can we get an anonymous thread going to post the stats for people who matched? I feel like it would be a useful (but somewhat biased) guide to pharmacy students who are looking at what sort of things they should be doing. I'd be happy to post information anonymously for people, I'd just like to know if anyone else thinks this would be useful.

Take a look at some of the medical specialty forums to get an idea of what I'm talking about.
:thumbup:

I think it's a good idea! I can start the thread and sticky it (residency subforum) and we'll see where it goes.

Stats Thread here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=10785203#post10785203

I can take care of the PMs from people. Since I'm already under the SDN staff NDA maybe that will encourage people not to be worried and they'll be more willing to share. :)

Thanks for putting it up! I posted in there already - I encourage current members to post, either anonymously or in person. It'll be a huge help to those who will be in our shoes in the coming years.

I literally have 5. Its kinda hurting my grades to maintain, but I figure as long as I'm above a 3.5 I'm still competitive.

I know you do it, I should probably do the same thing. I still haven't figured out how to sacrifice my grades yet. I blame myself.

Hi peeps.....so I wasn't successful in getting a clinical residency this year, which is quite a setback for my genuine aspirations. I had in fact secured a retail offer as a backup plan, and I absolutely have no problem doing it. My biggest fear really is change. I'm just concerned that pharmacy seems to be changing, and that venturing into retail is like not rowing a boat upstream, and I don't want to be in a stagnant state once I start practicing. Given that getting a staff position at a healthcare institution is quite a stretch as a new grad, I'm wondering if anybody got any suggestions on options that would help me stay with the changes to the profession, before venturing into retail as the last resort. Any ideas welcome...thanks..

Got an email that this site has a PGY-1 opening:

St. Luke's Health Network in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania is searching for an additional PGY-1 resident for the 2011-2012 academic year. This position became available after the match and is not listed on the resident/program scramble list. The program is ASHP accredited as of 2010. If you have a student/candidate that may be interested in the program, please forward this email and link below.

http://accred.ashp.org/aps/pages/directory/residencyProgramInformation.aspx?ID=200555

So I finished up my last rotation on Friday. Now I'm here watching my second episode of Law and Order (soon to be three in a row), and see no reason why I won't do this again every day this week. I have 12 weeks off until residency starts with absolutely no responsibilities. I love life right now.

Anyone have any good random road trip destinations? I'm looking for somewhere that's a <15 hour drive from Buffalo, excluding D.C., Boston and New York (been to all many times).

ETA: Page 13.