Residency Applicant Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Where do you see all of these stats? I am interested in seeing them too. I can't access my profile on the match website.

Members don't see this ad.

Where do you see all of these stats? I am interested in seeing them too. I can't access my profile on the match website.

I wonder how it compares to last year's 66% match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Match Results By Year of Graduation

PGY1 Applicants: 2011 Graduates
Matched 1915
Unmatched 1097

PGY2 Applicants: 2010 Graduates
Matched 269
Unmatched 89

3277 applicants
2027 applicants matched
1250 applicants not matched

2173 positions in match
2027 filled
146 unfilled

That comes out to 36%! What's it going to be next year, 50%?

3277 applicants
2027 applicants matched
1250 applicants not matched

2173 positions in match
2027 filled
146 unfilled

so 62% matched... down from 66% last year? Does anyone have that graph put out by ASHP with the trend?

Also matched with my #1 despite getting only 2 out of 6 interview invites. (There is hope for those with horrible application to interview ratios).

Yikes, more positions were available this year but the number of unmatched still increased. :eek:

Scrambling sucks. So far, one bounce back email, PD not in office until Monday (srsly!), One phone number goes to Voicemail at Drug Info, one program with unmatched position at same facility I applied to considering not filling position, called to see if they would convert to position I applied for. Another voicemail. Emailed 3 programs thus far, no responses. Not sure what else I can do.

Scrambling sucks. So far, one bounce back email, PD not in office until Monday (srsly!), One phone number goes to Voicemail at Drug Info, one program with unmatched position at same facility I applied to considering not filling position, called to see if they would convert to position I applied for. Another voicemail. Emailed 3 programs thus far, no responses. Not sure what else I can do.

Don't give up! Continue trying - I am sure one of them will work out!

so 62% matched... down from 66% last year? Does anyone have that graph put out by ASHP with the trend?

Here are the numbers:

PGY-1
2010: 2915 applicants for 1951 slots (1.49:1), 1114 unmatched for 150 slots in scramble (7.43:1)
2011: 3277 applicants for 2027 slots (1.61:1), 1250 unmatched for 146 slots in scramble (8.56:1)

Next year will be sh*tstorm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my #1, huzzah!

Congrats to all those matched and good luck to those scrambling!

I applied to 4 places, got 1 bounceback as well. I want a residency with decent critical care and I tried to lower my threshold for geographic area, but there weren't that many great programs with unfilled positions. Meanwhile I see no talent ass clowns getting matched...so jelly

i'm also sorta surprised at the 10 NYC residency positions that were unfilled...guess no one wants to attempt wet lab, not even new yorkers.

I applied to 4 places, got 1 bounceback as well. I want a residency with decent critical care and I tried to lower my threshold for geographic area, but there weren't that many great programs with unfilled positions. Meanwhile I see no talent ass clowns getting matched...so jelly

i'm also sorta surprised at the 10 NYC residency positions that were unfilled...guess no one wants to attempt wet lab, not even new yorkers.

I got one nibble. We'll see. Another PD out of town, so no official bites until they get back. Why would a be PD be gone the day that scramble starts?

What are your 5 backup plans?
Plans in order:

1. Match for residency followed by a fellowship
2. UPS - one of my best friends growing up is a manager over there pharmacy stuff
3. my volunteer spot - volunteering once a week
4. Wags - working two nights a week
5. Phd (low in the list as the old lady isn't keen on me going to school for another five years after my pharmd)
6. Military

Between wags and volunteering, I'm averaging near 20 h/wk and it has dug into my grades some. But I feel like its important to hold onto those spots in case they can land me a job if I don't match.

Got this email today. Is that a new CoP? I can't keep track.

At California Northstate College of Pharmacy, we are planning to offer a PGY1 residency starting this July. If you have any students interested in pursuing a residency in the Sacramento region, please have them contact the person below:

Primary number to call: (916) 204-0192
Grant D. Lackey, PharmD, CSPI, FASCP
Associate Professor
Department of Clinical Sciences
California Northstate College of Pharmacy
(916) 503-1836 (Office) Ext 229
(916) 631-8127 (Fax)
(916) 204-0192 (Cell)
[email protected]

Got this email today. Is that a new CoP? I can't keep track.

At California Northstate College of Pharmacy, we are planning to offer a PGY1 residency starting this July. If you have any students interested in pursuing a residency in the Sacramento region, please have them contact the person below:

Primary number to call: (916) 204-0192
Grant D. Lackey, PharmD, CSPI, FASCP
Associate Professor
Department of Clinical Sciences
California Northstate College of Pharmacy
(916) 503-1836 (Office) Ext 229
(916) 631-8127 (Fax)
(916) 204-0192 (Cell)
[email protected]

How much more crap can you have in your salutation line? I mean come on. Here's me in 3 years:

Dingerx Lastname, Pharm.D., M.Sc., Dr.S.C., RAC-US, RAC-E
Assistant Pharmacy Professor Name University
C: #
O: #
F: #

I won't put all of that down. It's too much!
Oh, I think it is a new program.

Congrats to all who matched & good luck to scramblers. As someone said earlier I assume SDN is a biased sample since most slackers wouldn't seek out a forum to talk about school ;)

I did some quick math out of curiosity; if anyone is interested here's the PGY1 applicant match rate:
2007- 70.7%
2008- 71.1%
2009- 65.8%
2010- 61.8%
2011- 61.9%

I'm looking forward to match day 2015!

Word on the street here is that all of the VA and university hospital spots in town were filled by our own students with one exception. Makes me wonder if institutions are starting to become prejudiced towards their own students with the increasing interest in residency every year.

Word on the street here is that all of the VA and university hospital spots in town were filled by our own students with one exception. Makes me wonder if institutions are starting to become prejudiced towards their own students with the increasing interest in residency every year.

Seems more likely that with increasing applications to sift through, institutions are more apt to gravitate toward people they know via rotations or academic involvement, rather than caring specifically what school they are from.

On an unrelated note, I just changed my user status...had to choose between pharmacist and resident

My residency filled all it's positions with it's students as well.

My residency filled all it's positions with it's students as well.

The residencies at my school went to students from my school. But our local VA didn't get any students from either local pharmacy school (their spots went to Scramble). Our local academic teaching hospital took one local student and three from out of state (ETSU, Florida and Wayne State I think). The big community healthcare system here has three spots and I know at least one of them went to a local student. I'd be curious to know who matched at UKentucky Hospital. Last year they took zero UK pharmacy students. I haven't heard this year.

i posted this in the residency forum, but i think this thread gets more traffic.

Hey guys, congrats to those of you who matched. In talking to some of my friends who matched, I'm surprised by how many of them are planning on deferring and how few know about Income Based Repayment.

Basically, its a federal program that allows you to pay a small percentage of your salary (if you make 40k/yr you end up paying like $400/mo) and for the first 3 years, the govt covers whatever additional interest cost there is.

This payment plan has other benefits which i'll let you look into yourself, but I think the low payment is manageable on a residents salary and youre at least paying interest on the loans instead of deferring and have it add up on you.

Heres a link with more info. Congrats again!

http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/IBRPlan.jsp

All of our next year's residents were from the pharmacy school next door. LOL. :D

I learned something about the pow-wow meeting that determined ranking order: people who have a good sob story were ranked higher than they objectively deserved due to sympathy votes. Hate to say this, but I vote there is too much estrogen in the air. ;)

i posted this in the residency forum, but i think this thread gets more traffic.

Thank you for posting this. I am so clueless about money - so it's nice to know that there is income based repayment. Please let me know if there are any other options.

Thank you for posting this. I am so clueless about money - so it's nice to know that there is income based repayment.

No prob, I'm glad when my endless hours of goofing off instead of listening to lectures in class is actually beneficial to someone.

dear scramblers,

did you get any replies back or offers? additionally, are you skeptical of places that have 1+ open positions? eg maybe there's a reason noone matched there...

All of our next year's residents were from the pharmacy school next door. LOL. :D

I learned something about the pow-wow meeting that determined ranking order: people who have a good sob story were ranked higher than they objectively deserved due to sympathy votes. Hate to say this, but I vote there is too much estrogen in the air. ;)

i have a pretty sick sob story and it didn't really work :( probably would've if my GPA was over 3.25

I saw the results of the match in our health system and without crunching numbers, I would say it was about 75% from in-state (one school).

I'm very happy for IBR, it allows you to do something like a residency no matter what loans you have without just deferring them and letting the interest rack up.

I'm very happy for IBR, it allows you to do something like a residency no matter what loans you have without just deferring them and letting the interest rack up.
Just to clarify, it's only for loans that are federal loans that are consolidated through the Direct Loan or FFEL programs. Private loans and Parent PLUS loans are not eligible, HPSLs, state loans etc are not eligible. Only the amount of eligible loans can be used to determine IRB and/or PSLF eligibility.

Just to clarify, it's only for loans that are federal loans that are consolidated through the Direct Loan or FFEL programs. Private loans and Parent PLUS loans are not eligible, HPSLs, state loans etc are not eligible. Only the amount of eligible loans can be used to determine IRB and/or PSLF eligibility.

When I wrote that I meant it more of a no matter how much you have sense. I can see where that could have been misunderstood though.

Pharmacy residents are special people... all their student loans are forgiven...

I thought I would give you a brief moment of false hope

I will come and scrutinize ur poster and project at ashp..

I didn't get to pick on you and your poster because you were wrapping it up....2009 ashp.