Residency application Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pawprint

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a couple of quick questions. I'm a third year Navy HPSP student applying for residency in a few short months. Where can I find info on the ERAS equivalent for the Navy? I have heard it is called MODS, but googling MODS doesn't seem to help me find out what kind of things I need to have prepared for my application. I'm assuming it is similar to ERAS, however I have heard that I am required to have a certain amount of military physician letters of recommendation for MODS. Is there a website that has the requirements listed? And is there a specific website for Navy MODS?

I plan on applying for pediatrics (with TY as a backup of course). I called the HPSP accessions office the other day and they said that all HPSP students this year are required to apply for 1 year civilian deferments as well (peds is not a deferrable residency but they will defer 1 year and take me back in for GMO if I don't match into the military initially). This means that I am gathering letters for civilian match and want to know how many of them I can use for my military application. It would be easier to just grab all military letters but I've had 2 civilian pediatricians I've worked for offer to write me letters and want to know if I can even use them in my military application.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the info! I was able to get on the website from that document. I cannot find out though the answer to my letter of recommendation question.

How many letters of recommendation from military physicians are required when applying for Navy internship (pediatrics specifically if its different)?

Thank you for the info! I was able to get on the website from that document. I cannot find out though the answer to my letter of recommendation question.

How many letters of recommendation from military physicians are required when applying for Navy internship (pediatrics specifically if its different)?
The information about letters of recommendation is on page 8 of that document. The requirement is worded as a suggestion and I believe there is no strict requirement for number of letters letters from a military physician. (The suggested letters are worded more for people applying to GME 2) Obviously the "senior physician in your chain of command" doesn't apply to you. I would suggest if you are trying to become a navy pediatrician that you should have at least one letter from a navy pediatrician. Otherwise I would include the letters from the staff pediatrician that you are already requesting. Of course the person who you really need to answer this question definitively is the program director of the internship you are applying to. (So you might consider reaching out to them to ask)