Residency in Texas ...or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremrsDr<3

Reaction score
I'm in a pickle.
I have lived in Texas my whole life.
My husband got accepted at Texas A&M's Nuclear Engineering Masters program but decided to go to a school that would be paid for by an employer in another state.
So we've been in another state for 2 years while he finishes his masters slowly.

We have property in Texas. My parents live in Texas. I went to HS, some college, and I was born in Texas.
We do plan on returning to Texas.

I am unsure if I would qualify as a resident for the time being. He has put his school on pause while I finish up my pre-reqs for Dental school (taking care of our toddlers while I study/go to class).
So we will likely be here until I get accepted and am about to start school somewhere.

Would I be able to apply as a Texas resident?
Not to try to "dip" in 2 pools, but should I also qualify as a resident in the state we are in?
Any insight would be great. I'm wondering if I should apply directly with TMDSAS as a resident & AADSAS for the state I'm currently in?

Members don't see this ad.

You can look on the TMDSAS website to see what criteria must be met to be considered a Texas resident. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems like you can prove residency through several of the experiences you have. I'll link the website so that you can see for yourself.

I'd imagine you could pretty easily prove residency for the state you currently live in. if that's something you want to do. But of course, that depends on the school. You can probably find a similar residency guide for wherever you're planning on applying.

If you are applying to the Texas schools as a resident, you have to apply through TMDSAS, so definitely do that. I've heard that TMDSAS applications are looked upon more favorably too.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I gathered, you still live outside of Texas!! You're not gonna qualify as a resident based on what you said. I've been a resident in Texas for 7 years and still had to send my driver's licence (showing I've been a resident for years) and official registrar's paperwork from a public Texas school I attended less than a year prior to applying to show I was given a resident status for tuition purposes without the help of a waiver. If you wanna be considered a resident, you gotta live in Texas for the 12 months prior applying to TMDSAS (I know it says 12 months prior matriculation but you'd still be considered out of state in the eyes of the schools who are mandated to accept vast majority residents). Go to the official TMDSAS facebook group, TMDSAS employees would address your concerns since they are the decision makers.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I gathered, you still live outside of Texas!! You're not gonna qualify as a resident based on what you said. I've been a resident in Texas for 7 years and still had to send my driver's licence (showing I've been a resident for years) and official registrar's paperwork from a public Texas school I attended less than a year prior to applying to show I was given a resident status for tuition purposes without the help of a waiver. If you wanna be considered a resident, you gotta live in Texas for the 12 months prior applying to TMDSAS (I know it says 12 months prior matriculation but you'd still be considered out of state in the eyes of the schools who are mandated to accept vast majority residents). Go to the official TMDSAS facebook group, TMDSAS employees would address your concerns since they are the decision makers.
Huh, I must have misinterpreted the TMDSAS website. I thought you could prove residency by owning property in the state. Did you do all of that for this cycle, Farris? I applied through TMDSAS fairly early, and they haven't asked me for any of that yet.

To OP, I would probably still recommend applying to Texas schools if you've got good stats. I think you'd make a good case for ties to Texas, even if you're not technically a resident. Like the above said, definitely contact the actual employees to make sure there's no way you can qualify for residency first though.

Huh, I must have misinterpreted the TMDSAS website. I thought you could prove residency by owning property in the state. Did you do all of that for this cycle, Farris? I applied through TMDSAS fairly early, and they haven't asked me for any of that yet.

To OP, I would probably still recommend applying to Texas schools if you've got good stats. I think you'd make a good case for ties to Texas, even if you're not technically a resident. Like the above said, definitely contact the actual employees to make sure there's no way you can qualify for residency first though.
Owning property is just one piece of the puzzle. It helps but a person still has to prove Texas is their home of residence. I applied for EY21. I should say I don't have property in my name in Texas but it did seem regardless of that they would want something that would give a sense of time reference about the applicant's Texas residency.

I think I still have a valid Texas license from 2017! I don't go anywhere here where we live currently, so I never renewed. I do go back and forth, to shadow Dentist friends at home, or just to help my parents do spring cleaning. I feel like a nomad! If it wasn't for covid I would be there now. Hmm, you've given me some hope for making this case... thank you for your opinions!

I think I still have a valid Texas license from 2017! I don't go anywhere here where we live currently, so I never renewed. I do go back and forth, to shadow Dentist friends at home, or just to help my parents do spring cleaning. I feel like a nomad! If it wasn't for covid I would be there now. Hmm, you've given me some hope for making this case... thank you for your opinions!
I think you'll be fine. That licence will tip the scales in your favor!