Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
audemars that's losin time. Rocking it on the wards tomm.
Lol. Calm down Jay Z.
Looks like a sweet watch bro.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
audemars that's losin time. Rocking it on the wards tomm.
The same Mark that was showing up in a t-shirt and jeans to work? Yea, I don't think he would waste 10k on a watch either at that age.
PS. No one on this forum is the next Mark Zuckerberg.
🙄 That's not the point. You said "No 26 year old deserves a 10k watch." You think it's okay to judge people who have money because...why? Because we happen to be dirt poor? Climb down off your moral high horse. Med students are so sheltered.
I'm sure you know 26yo friends who have finished college and gone onto successful careers while we wallow in debt. I don't mind if they want to spend money on a watch, house, car, WHATEVER. Good for them. Just because you (and most of us) can't have these things doesn't mean nobody else deserves them either.
There are always exceptions to the generalized comments like the one that I made, but my point still stands. There are very few, self-made wealthy individuals at 26 years of age. There are even fewer self-made, wealth medical students at 26 years of age. Most medical students and law students who are still in school are riding the coat tails of their parents, which allows them to "buy" $10,000 watches and $5,000 suits.
I have no problem with people who have earned money spending it one whatever they want to spend it on. I couldn't care less to be honest. My comment was directed at the majority of the people who are in medical school, spending large amounts of their parents money, all while strolling around like they are the "rich" ones, when in fact it's their parents that worked hard for the last 20-30 years to be able to provide for their kids.
And so what? Their parents have a lot of money and give it to their kids. If I have a lot of money in the future, my kids will probably have nice things too. Are you going to make sure your kids live with bare minimums until they make their own money?
And so what? Their parents have a lot of money and give it to their kids. If I have a lot of money in the future, my kids will probably have nice things too. Are you going to make sure your kids live with bare minimums until they make their own money?
I guess there's different philosophies regarding this. I don't understand why people would work extremely hard for their money and have their families not reap the benefits of their hard work.
I think a lot of it has to do with trying to instill within your children the importance of hard work. Working hard yourself and accumulating wealth is great, and it is great to be able to serve as perhaps a safety net or sorts for your future children; however, I think most of us can agree that we have probably grown up knowing (or in some posters' cases, being) those kids who had everything handed to them and could still not appreciate how lucky they were.
I'm not saying having rich parents and understanding the importance of hard, honest work are mutually exclusive . . . just that they certainly have the potential to be.
I think almost everyone agrees with this point. However, when you're talking about "spoiled" medical students. I think that argument falls apart. You have worked hard by virtue of the fact that you are in a good medical school. I don't think it's inappropriate for any parents to indulge their kids a bit for their hard work, particularly when they may not have the means to do so themselves for years to come. It's actually a great way to encourage children to choose something with societal benefit like medicine, as opposed to something like finance where the emphasis is on maximal profit for yourself.
I also realize this discussion is getting way off topic here, and I also hope that no one misconstrues my posting here as a condemnation of people dressing well/super well on the wards, and/or owning awesome expensive clothing/watches/shoes/etc. I love that there are other posters here who appreciate the finer things in life, and make an effort to look their best. I don't begrudge anyone their wealth, regardless of its origins. I happen to think my Bulova watch and Allen Edmond shoes and Calvin Klein suit are pretty decent, but my tastes are limited by my budget at the moment and these are about the "highest" I can afford to go.
It's not like those kids who had lambos during high school... yeah, that happened...
There's nothing wrong with it, but if I see someone with a lot of nice things that they obviously didn't work for it makes me wonder if they're a spoiled brat. They might not be, but it's a reasonable concern to have when meeting a person for the first time and realizing they have minimal/no employment history and are wearing $10,000.
If I were to splurge on a watch, it would be this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Forerunner-GPS-Enabled-Sports-Monitor/dp/B0046BTK14/ref=dp_ob_title_ce
Quite functional 🙂
All of those functions are already in my phone...
Don't really need a watch at all, will mainly be for aesthetic purposes.
I mainly bike instead of run, so much easier to keep the phone accessible. 😛
If you don't mind carrying the phone, which would by annoying (unless you have very large hands maybe?), especially if you need to use fluids on a long run (fumbling open a Gu pack or water bottle would be tough with a phone in your hand!) or sweat a lot (which, if you don't, I would argue was not a great workout). I've used the Garmin 405 cx and it's function is much better than a smart phone. The only kink is the bevel, which is better with the 410. Smart phones have their place but can't quite beat the watch! Definitely glad it's working out for you though, just want people out there and active 😉
Just bought my fiancee the 210, but seriously considered getting her the 410 at the discounted price (only 10 bucks more expensive right now than the 210). The reviews of the bezel have been poor enough, even on the 410, for me to forego that and stick with the 210.
I don't care if you end up a spine surgeon earning $3mil per year, I can see absolutely no reason to ever spend more than $600 on a suit or ~$100 on a watch (unless you're buying a watch for something like scuba diving...). And you know what? Most attendings would agree. The people interviewing you won't be able to tell a difference between your $6000 suit and a $600 (or $200...) one, and even if they could, they'd probably realize that only a pretentious asswipe would wear $10k worth of stuff to a residency interview.
Drizzt... help! F it, I don't care about the flack I'll get from posting on the self-righteous SDN forums.
What is the difference between "automatic" and "rattrapante"? Is one more collectible than the other?
http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/portuguese-split-second-rattrapante-chronograph-iw3712--id2041503.htm
http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW3714/
Drizzt... help! F it, I don't care about the flack I'll get from posting on the self-righteous SDN forums.
What is the difference between "automatic" and "rattrapante"? Is one more collectible than the other?
http://www.chrono24.com/en/iwc/portuguese-split-second-rattrapante-chronograph-iw3712--id2041503.htm
http://www.iwc.com/en/collection/portuguese/IW3714/
Not drizzt obviously, but I believe rattrapante chronos have two separate chronographs so you can time to separate things at once. Those are beautiful pieces though, sheesh.
On a separate note, of my nicer watches I own TAG Link Automatic Caliber 6, Breitling Chrono Superocean (with a blue dive strap and the pro2 polished band), and a Gucci G Timeless. Of the 3, the Gucci gets the least wrist time but is the only one I have a leather strap for. Think it's still too much for interviews?
![]()
drizzt, do you also wear leather straps on the wards?
Not necessarily.
Today:
![]()
Kinda want this watch for the Breaking Bad reference alone...
![]()
You own multiple APs to go along with those other pieces of bling?
Think it's still too much for interviews?
![]()
Some people like nice things. Most people probably dont want to spend $10k a year buying Vagisil like you do but you dont see them criticizing your priorities. Also, if the attendings can't tell the difference between a Zegna and a Gap suit (not sure if Gap actually makes suits) or a Fossil watch and a Rolex Daytona like you suggest, then why is it a problem to wear it? Dressing nicely makes many people more confident and happier. Why is that so much of a problem for you?

How has this not made it up here yet: (Arrested Development) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Nl7VYFEaI
Was looking for it, but couldn't find it.
That suit/watch combo, which I'm guessing you will combine with some pretty schnazzy shirts/ties/shoes probably costs more than my entire wardrobe. I really think outdressing the faculty isn't a good way to go to an interview.
You guys are the biggest douchebags! Why don't you spend the time arguing about suits and watches working on publishing a paper which will impress everyone a hundred times more than your suit and watch!
You guys are the biggest douchebags! Why don't you spend the time arguing about suits and watches working on publishing a paper which will impress everyone a hundred times more than your suit and watch!
Yeah, drizzt, you really should've put more effort into research.
Also, u mad.
My on-call watch:
![]()
What is that and dare I ask how much?
Also how resistant to water/blood/urine/feces is it?
It's a breitling chrono avenger. I wear it on call because it's made of titanium and very light. It's not made anymore, Retail was 4k but new old stock ones are around 3k. I paid a bit less than that and i've had it since 2004 or so, although it's in pretty good shape still. It's water resistant to 1000m, so does pretty well with water. I don't know where you're doing residency but I haven't been within miles of feces and urine, I'm not a CNA. I'll usually take it off when I'm going to put on sterile gloves.
Anything involving patient contact brings a risk of feces and urine...
Transitional Year -- maximize electives before radiology begins. Avoid misery.
where do you buy your watches? at full retail prices?
Haha, pretty sure even the most relaxed TY still requires at least some patient contact.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.