This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Matthew N. Graber

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2020-08-18 at 3.27.01 PM.png

The Abrazo Health Emergency Medicine Residency would like to invite you to a virtual open house designed to give fourth year students more information about our program. We hope to be able to tell the attendees about our philosophy, curriculum, hospitals, faculty, and why you should train here. There are two virtual sessions planned:

• September 4, 2020 at 8 am (MST/ PDT – Phoenix)
  • September 14, 2020 at 6 pm (MST/ PDT – Phoenix)
  • Other dates may be opened if the above fill

Schedule

Program Overview

Q&A session with program director, associate program director, and program coordinator

Q&A session with our current residents

To sign up please complete the form at: Virtual Open House -Abrazo Emergency Medicine

Some Residency Facts:

• Residency based out of a multi-hospital system in the Phoenix metro area.
  • 3 year ACGME approved program
  • 6 Residents per year
  • First class started July 2020
  • Clinical & didactic experiences are set up so that education and wellness take priority
  • Longitudinal EMS, Ultrasound, and Research experiences

Please visit our website at WVEM.org (our trauma center is in the West Valley of Phoenix)

We look forward to meeting you in the coming weeks.

Faculty of the Abrazo Emergency Medicine Residency Program
Phoenix, Arizona
WVEM.org

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Do you take applicants from Hollywood Upstairs Medical School?

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really? A residency there. Abrazo ERs are scary.

Reactions: 2 users
Just remember though, sometimes docs and groups have no choice. Two of the groups in my city have been forced by the hospital system to open residencies. I've refused to take part in teaching residents on principle but we still had enough docs volunteer.

• Sad
In what way? I'm looking at the Pheonix market after graduation.

There is no Phoenix market.

Can we please ban program marketing? Almost every single program is doing online/zoom/meet and greets. Each one is not going to need it's own thread.

Can we please ban program marketing? Almost every single program is doing online/zoom/meet and greets. Each one is not going to need it's own thread.

No. No. No.

It's very clear (do a search): The RRC ensures that ALL emergency medicine residencies train to an 'adequate' standard.

Don't you remember? (do a search)

What's the problem with this new Abrazo?

Not enough trauma? ("trauma is cookbook")

Not enough procedures? (that's what sim is for...who needs another chest tube?)

Not enough academics? (that's for the nerds who don't choose the lucrative CMG-hourly rate)

Not enough critical care? (why do another month of "baby-sitting"?)

Not enough research or national presence in education? (who cares...it's the pit docs who knows most)

I could go on...but I hope folks get the point. WE -- yes, all of us, including those on this forum -- have been working to destroy EM as a specialty for years.

Finally, we have won...the prize: more osteopathic or CMG-based residency programs at inadequate hospitals! Yes! We win!

HH

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 14 users

Another vote for this.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Mod update: Thread title has been edited. Any marketing from any program should be added to this thread. Any marketing added elsewhere will be moved to this thread. This thread will not be stickied.

Anyone interested in new program information will be able to find it here. Everyone else will be able to ignore the thread.

• Love
Can I advertise my new program? It's going to be at the Chik-Fil-A around the corner from my small community hospital, which in no way should have residents. We'll like, sim everything so we can get those procedure numbers up. Nevermind the moral injury involved.

Reactions: 5 users
Can I advertise my new program? It's going to be at the Chik-Fil-A around the corner from my small community hospital, which in no way should have residents. We'll like, sim everything so we can get those procedure numbers up. Nevermind the moral injury involved.
Only if you give out free chicken sammiches.

Only if you give out free chicken sammiches.

The "In-N-Out Burger" meme on here started as a joke awhile ago to indicate that all programs are going to give good training, and that there is no "list of top residencies" for EM like the mouthbreathers in IM get all excited about.

My, oh my. How the times have changed. I propose using the term "In-N-Out Burger" to indicate any CMG-run residency plodding forward in the name of corporate profit and not resident education.

Reactions: 1 user
The "In-N-Out Burger" meme on here started as a joke awhile ago to indicate that all programs are going to give good training, and that there is no "list of top residencies" for EM like the mouthbreathers in IM get all excited about.

My, oh my. How the times have changed. I propose using the term "In-N-Out Burger" to indicate any CMG-run residency plodding forward in the name of corporate profit and not resident education.
A quality residency is a quality "In-N-Out" program. :)

Welcome to Phoenix Upstairs Medical Residency!

Having personal knowledge of the Abrazo ERs, I can wholeheartedly recommend not going there!

However if you have an hankering for learning corporate medicine, cutting corners, working in sausage factory and burning out before the end of residency this might be the place for you...

Seriously though, these aren't good ERs or good hospital systems. There are some decent physicians there, but failure is baked into the whole system...

Reactions: 3 users

<applies>

Will it have a waffle fry fellowship? 'Cause I would be so IN.

Had the privilege of meeting some CMG residents from a few local programs recently. Super nice people, all very candid…I feel bad for their training but much worse for the speciality. You can’t train good EM docs with random PRN CMG attendings. I’m not for crazy Harvard academic types, but you need people who want to teach or have some background in academics to do a decent job - at least that’s how those residents felt.

• Haha
Will it have a waffle fry fellowship? 'Cause I would be so IN.

Dude, there's a Chik-Fil-A in dangerous proximity to my current house. SO easy to drive thru at like, 8:45 PM.

Knife & Gun Club got his message in before I could click "post"; but he's right.
These CMGs need to stay out of GME altogether. Ethically. But hey; what am I saying? Ethics? CMGs? Forget it.

If your arms are crossed, you MUST be a good Emergency Physician ^^^

Wellstar.jpeg

If you are a medical student looking to get excellent training, hop on tomorrow and meet some of our residents/ APD's. We are based in Marietta, GA, which is about 15-20 minutes outside of Atlanta. Our primary training site is consistently in the top 10 for patient volumes in the country and have a new 2 story emergency department. More than anything we love our program and the attendings that train us.

We’re pleased to announce a three-year, ACGME-accredited emergency medicine residency, beginning July 2023, with eleven residency positions per year. The program will train 33 residents in a busy community hospital emergency department that sees approximately 90,000 patients per year.
The residents entering this program will be trailblazers in launching graduate medical education in Northern California. The number of patients with a wide diversity of presenting medical and trauma disorders as well as all the resources of the Sutter Health system will provide an excellent learning environment for the practice of emergency medicine.
SRMC Emergency Medicine Residency Program | Sutter Health

While TriStar Emergency Medicine is a newly-accredited ACGME EM program, our hospitals are deeply rooted in an educational atmosphere, providing interprofessional training opportunities by world-class educators with years of GME-training experience. We invite you to learn about this exciting new opportunity in Nashville, TN, and are currently accepting applications for residents to begin training with us in July 2022.
Home

Bayhealth Medical Center, based in Dover DE, is embarking on an ambitious GME program and is looking to add Faculty to an EM Residency Program that will accept residents starting in July 2023. Our FM and IM programs started in July 2021 with 8 FM and 13 IM residents; General Surgery will start in July 22 and an application has been filed for an EM program to start in July 2023. This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated leader to have input and make an impact building a program from the ground up. The program is scheduled to support 6 Emergency Medicine residents per year.
Bayhealth Medical Center comprises Bayhealth Kent Campus, Bayhealth Sussex Campus, a free-standing ED in Smyrna and a free-standing ED under construction and scheduled to open in Harbeson in 2023. Total ED volume is currently 110,000 visits per year. Bayhealth Emergency Physicians are employed by the hospital and have a base hourly rate, rvu incentives, quality incentives, sign-on bonus as well as a full benefit package including relocation, medical, dental, vision, PTO, 401K with a match and more.
EM Physician with Pediatric Fellowship Needed for New Residency Program job with Bayhealth Medical Center | 496661

Last edited:
  • Haha
Why.

Why does nashville or delaware need another EM program?

That's hilarious. Now we'll have EM programs in Memphis, Nashville and Chattanooga. Rain down all those desperate residents willing to take bottom dollar for a FT contract and help drive the salaries down across the board for the rest of us. There's got to be some way to stop these residencies. What a disaster. That's private equity for you. Does anybody know anything about the Nashville hospital/program? Looks like most of the faculty are young and not too far out of residency.

That's hilarious. Now we'll have EM programs in Memphis, Nashville and Chattanooga. Rain down all those desperate residents willing to take bottom dollar for a FT contract and help drive the salaries down across the board for the rest of us. There's got to be some way to stop these residencies. What a disaster. That's private equity for you. Does anybody know anything about the Nashville hospital/program? Looks like most of the faculty are young and not too far out of residency.
ACGME - Accreditation Data System (ADS)
Since the Nashville program was not accredited until April 28, they could not participate in the match or SOAP. They are filling their slots late in the cycle for a July 2022 start.

1653829159543.png

Last edited:
First this is an hca residency. That should be a hard endpoint for most. Skyline is a level one trauma center. Standard hca nonsense. Attendings there make good money. I think highest paid CMG job in town. The pd got passed over at vandy, was pissed so left to this place. Centennial constantly turns over as the pay sucks and people hate the environment there. Otherwise I’m sure it’s all awesome. luckily for envision team and app as the local area graduates another 11 residents a year into a saturated job market they can rapidly cut wages.

Last edited:
Don’t forget Murfreesboro.

It’s a solid group of docs based on who I know there honestly. Dr. Wolfe easily could’ve been the PD at Vanderbilt if things had broken differently. The hospital has some legitimate pathology. They are a burn center now or will be shortly.

Last edited:
There is some discussion in Congress right now about limiting funding of residency programs. Although many established programs will suffer, I believe the HCA programs will eliminate their residencies if/when this occurs. I believe there is about a 50% chance of it passing when I discussed it with one of the legislators I had lunch with the other day. Keep your eyes open for a bill to be introduced soon. I believe most emergency physicians will find it very satisfying.

Reactions: 5 users
There is some discussion in Congress right now about limiting funding of residency programs. Although many established programs will suffer, I believe the HCA programs will eliminate their residencies if/when this occurs. I believe there is about a 50% chance of it passing when I discussed it with one of the legislators I had lunch with the other day. Keep your eyes open for a bill to be introduced soon. I believe most emergency physicians will find it very satisfying.
Are HCA programs that dependent on Medicare funding? I would think that, from their point of view, hiring residents is still incredibly cost effective (and that's not even considering the downstream effects of saturating the market).

"We are pleased to announce another sell out residency..."

Why are we even allowing these posts to happen? Mods???

"We are pleased to announce another sell out residency..."

Why are we even allowing these posts to happen? Mods???
It's not against Terms of Service for residencies to advertise new residencies. We have been requiring that they post in a single thread to eliminate a thread per residency.

For those that are against proliferation of new residencies: It doesn't matter if they advertise it on here. The bigger issue is its approval and not its advertisement.

Reactions: 4 users
I believe 2021 is just attempting to shine light on the expansion phenomenon, and not actually advertise these places.

Yes. A glut of EM physicians does not benefit EM physicians. However, it does appear to benefit private equity as stated in a different thread.

Hospital Launching a Residency Program With First Students Arriving in 2023
Residencies will be offered in:
Internal medicine
Psychiatry
Emergency medicine
Family medicine
Obstetrics/gynecology
General surgery
The program will help alleviate a shortage of health care providers in Polk County, said Drummond, who expressed hopes that the opportunity to work here will lead some of the students to practice here beyond their residency.

Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency (HAEMR) at Mass General Brigham

Due to one of our end-of-year interns deciding to pursue training in another specialty, the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency (HAEMR) at Mass General Brigham has an unexpected PGY2 opening available immediately. HAEMR is a four-year, fully accredited program with 15 residents per year. Trainees primarily rotate at Massachusetts General Hospital (Level 1 Adult and Pediatric Trauma, Burn Center) and Brigham and Women's Hospital (Level 1 Trauma and Burn Center). Residents also spend time at Boston Children's Hospital and Newton Wellesley Hospital. Full details of our curriculum can be found on our website www.haemr.org.

Ideal applicants should:
The ideal applicant will have completed one year of emergency medicine. Applicants with training in other specialties will be considered.

Surprising to me that someone in another specialty could jump to a PGY2 EM slot.

Last edited:

Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency (HAEMR) at Mass General Brigham

Due to one of our end-of-year interns deciding to pursue training in another specialty, the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency (HAEMR) at Mass General Brigham has an unexpected PGY2 opening available immediately. HAEMR is a four-year, fully accredited program with 15 residents per year. Trainees primarily rotate at Massachusetts General Hospital (Level 1 Adult and Pediatric Trauma, Burn Center) and Brigham and Women's Hospital (Level 1 Trauma and Burn Center). Residents also spend time at Boston Children's Hospital and Newton Wellesley Hospital. Full details of our curriculum can be found on our website www.haemr.org.

Ideal applicants should:
The ideal applicant will have completed one year of emergency medicine. Applicants with training in other specialties will be considered.

Surprising to me that someone in another specialty could jump to a PGY2 EM slot.
Happened regularly in my program. It’s a name residency now but before EM became competitive we had one person a year or so leave or get kicked out. We took some surgery refugees, some people who did military internships who then were deployed to Yugoslavia, etc. Some of them turned out to be great doctors, others not so much.

Hospital Launching a Residency Program With First Students Arriving in 2023
Residencies will be offered in:
Internal medicine
Psychiatry
Emergency medicine
Family medicine
Obstetrics/gynecology
General surgery
The program will help alleviate a shortage of health care providers in Polk County, said Drummond, who expressed hopes that the opportunity to work here will lead some of the students to practice here beyond their residency.

HAHAHAHAA.

Those residents are out and far away from Polk County as soon as they can. Guar-an-teed.

The problem is every other specialty, at least the overarching organizations of each and some of the docs, are begging for expansion and EM is the only one that has dealt with the consequences of that. I feel there's so much pressure to expand from everyone else except EM I don't see how that could pass.

My guess is that this sort of thing could only fly at a four-year program (in order for someone to successfully meet graduation requirements)... which kind of tells you everything you need to know about the value of that fourth year.

Happened regularly in my program. It’s a name residency now but before EM became competitive we had one person a year or so leave or get kicked out. We took some surgery refugees, some people who did military internships who then were deployed to Yugoslavia, etc. Some of them turned out to be great doctors, others not so much.

We lost two residents at my program. The spots got filled.

Round of applause for that smart resident if anything. Getting out before it's too late.

Don’t forget Murfreesboro.

It’s a solid group of docs based on who I know there honestly. Dr. Wolfe easily could’ve been the PD at Vanderbilt if things had broken differently. The hospital has some legitimate pathology. They are a burn center now or will be shortly.
Docs are decent but a bit deluded and hca is still hca.