Residency Start date

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charlie0318

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sure this has been discussed somewhere buried in here, but after 30 min of searching I give up.

In general when do military (army specific) residencies start? I am at the end of my third year and planing my fourth year and would love to have a ball park of when I am going to need to be reporting to residency wherever that ends up being.

Members don't see this ad.

It varies from hospital to hospital. You'll find out after they send your contract following the board.

Even back when I was an intern, they were trying to cut down on the length of orientation in order to save money. I can only imagine that trend is and will be much more pronounced.

I would say a good ballpark date is 15 June. It's difficult to imagine an MTF doing all it needs to do to ready new interns and in-process many to active duty in less than half a month.

Sure this has been discussed somewhere buried in here, but after 30 min of searching I give up.

In general when do military (army specific) residencies start? I am at the end of my third year and planing my fourth year and would love to have a ball park of when I am going to need to be reporting to residency wherever that ends up being.

Check-in and orientation dates vary, most start their first block on 7/1 this year.

Members don't see this ad :)
New residents start July 1. However, interns have to report sometime in June for orientation. I reported June 08, many moons ago.

I report June 7th (Eisenhower) which is one of the latest reporting dates. The earliest ones are around June 3rd (Tripler)

For BAMC I reported during third week (June) for residency and will be reporting third week for fellowship as well. Just 5 days for inprocessing....July 1 is start date for training.