Residents getting their own labs??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I heard from a friend who is nearing completion of an MSTP program that an older gal from his school was offered her own lab space and research staff to come to their institution as a resident. He said she basically does her residency and spends 10-20 hours a week directing the work of her lab members.

What?!?! Is this a really uncommon thing, or do top academic institutions really try this hard to recruit top md-phds? I’m leaning towards MD-PhD and it would definitely be awesome to have this kind of opportunity after med school. But this must be somewhat rare right?

Members don't see this ad.

I know of a resident in my lab (they are currently a PM&R resident) who is in a 5 year residency program after completing their MD/PhD. They do 8.5-9 months of clinical medicine, with three months of research (hence the 5 years) each year. One of the smartest person I have ever met, with very impressive research.

I know of a resident in my lab (they are currently a PM&R resident) who is in a 5 year residency program after completing their MD/PhD. They do 8.5-9 months of clinical medicine, with three months of research (hence the 5 years) each year. One of the smartest person I have ever met, with very impressive research.

Thanks for the reply! I’ve heard of residents getting time for protected research like this, but has anyone heard of this situation before (where an md PhD grad is told they will be given their OWN STAFFED lab as a tactic to entice them to matriculate to the program)?

At my school, one of the residents funded his own lab because he got a research fund from his home country (he was an international student throughout). He even got research funding during medical school years so he could join any lab he wanted.