resolution 42 in Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peppy

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone here had firsthand experiences with getting Resolution 42 approval for an allopathic residency in Michigan since the rules about internship changed last summer? Any problems getting a training license in Michigan as a DO in an allopathic residency?

In another thread there were some comments that Michigan has historically been the most difficult of "The 5 states" for a DO to get an allopathic internship recognized, so I'm hoping that others have had firsthand experience with this issue and can help confirm if we DOs are still having trouble with allopathic programs in the state or not.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still an MSIV, but I knew quite a few people last year that got approved for the DO intern year exemption with the help of MSU faculty. Dr. Mark Cummings at MSU is a great resource for this and other residency questions.

It is reassuring to hear that you do know some people who actually did it. :) For several reasons I think an allopathic program in Michigan would be best for me, but I am paranoid about running into a problem getting my license and winding up in a bad situation.
Can I ask what specialties the people you know who did this went into?

Are you an MSUCOM student? Someone from the dean's office sent out an email last year about how many students matched at an allo residency with help from MSU. I don't have that email anymore, but the number was really quite high, the highest ever for MSUCOM. If you are an MSUCOM student, someone from the Dean's office could give you the exact numbers. Even if you aren't an MSUCOM student, they might answer these questions for you:).
To answer your question- PM&R, peds, a fp and OB are the ones I remember for sure.