Resources/ Advice - Applying for a Residency after time away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CivicTV

Reaction score
Hi SDN people,

I graduated from a US allopathic school in 2015, took several years off to focus on creative endeavors, and am currently in the process of returning to the medical field. This will be my first time applying for a residency, and would appreciate any advice or resource suggestions to try and bridge the time away.

I'll be applying for Psych programs. I've returned to the institution I graduated from, and am resuming clinical psych research with a previous mentor, working as a scribe for a psychiatrist, and shadowing a bit in outpatient psych clinics. I'd like to add that during my time away from medicine, I did take and pass Step 3, but since I'm a couple years out, I was wondering what the best resources would be to prepare myself for residency in 2019.

I'd like to have resources to review to re-familiarize myself with the clinical knowledge I'll be expected to have when I start. One person mentioned reviewing UWorld Step 2 bank, but open to suggestions. And if anybody has experience with matching after time away from medicine, would appreciate hearing about that as well. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SDN people,

I graduated from a US allopathic school in 2015, took several years off to focus on creative endeavors, and am currently in the process of returning to the medical field. This will be my first time applying for a residency, and would appreciate any advice or resource suggestions to try and bridge the time away.

I'll be applying for Psych programs. I've returned to the institution I graduated from, and am resuming clinical psych research with a previous mentor, working as a scribe for a psychiatrist, and shadowing a bit in outpatient psych clinics. I'd like to add that during my time away from medicine, I did take and pass Step 3, but since I'm a couple years out, I was wondering what the best resources would be to prepare myself for residency in 2019.

I'd like to have resources to review to re-familiarize myself with the clinical knowledge I'll be expected to have when I start. One person mentioned reviewing UWorld Step 2 bank, but open to suggestions. And if anybody has experience with matching after time away from medicine, would appreciate hearing about that as well. Thanks!
Do you have any clinical experiences/lor from the last 3 yrs? Did you pass steps or do amazing on them? Do you have something particular to show for your time away? How will you convince a PD you won’t walk away again?

Psych is getting competitive so you might need some answers to these things

Do you have any clinical experiences/lor from the last 3 yrs? Did you pass steps or do amazing on them? Do you have something particular to show for your time away? How will you convince a PD you won’t walk away again?

Psych is getting competitive so you might need some answers to these things
No clinical experience from the past 3 years, since I’m not a student, I’m not aware of any options available to me. I’ll be getting LOR from the doctors that I’m currently working with on research/ shadowing. They were impressed by my previous dedication and work ethic when I did my clerkships several years ago.

I passed all 3 Step exams on first attempt, did a little below average. Passed all clerkships without any remediation. For my time away, I had some moderate success in the creative field I was working in. I had the creative interest during and throughout medical school, but wanted to develop those skill sets independently so that I can always enjoy doing that on the side with a higher level of proficiency.

I won’t be walking away from a program, and tried to address this in my personal statement/ am ready to explain myself in interviews, but would appreciate advice. (Also in terms of how to brush up on clinical knowledge)

Members don't see this ad :)
No clinical experience from the past 3 years, since I’m not a student, I’m not aware of any options available to me. I’ll be getting LOR from the doctors that I’m currently working with on research/ shadowing. They were impressed by my previous dedication and work ethic when I did my clerkships several years ago.

I passed all 3 Step exams on first attempt, did a little below average. Passed all clerkships without any remediation. For my time away, I had some moderate success in the creative field I was working in. I had the creative interest during and throughout medical school, but wanted to develop those skill sets independently so that I can always enjoy doing that on the side with a higher level of proficiency.

I won’t be walking away from a program, and tried to address this in my personal statement/ am ready to explain myself in interviews, but would appreciate advice. (Also in terms of how to brush up on clinical knowledge)
We did have a fmg call me through and do an observership while trying to get a letter and give face time to a program. Couldn’t touch patients for insurance reasons but did get to interview with supervision and discuss care plan in the back room with the attending

But a first aid for step 2/3 and uworld are good. Maybe even hit some podcasts to mix it up

Reactions: 1 user
We did have a fmg call me through and do an observership while trying to get a letter and give face time to a program. Couldn’t touch patients for insurance reasons but did get to interview with supervision and discuss care plan in the back room with the attending

But a first aid for step 2/3 and uworld are good. Maybe even hit some podcasts to mix it up

Thanks, I'm currently working with several doctors doing what you described (observing, discussing care with the attending), and about to resume clinical research that I was working on prior to the time away. Any advice on first aid for step 2 vs step 3? Since I've already passed all board exams, looking to have the knowledge that would be most applicable to intern year. I've started going through OnlineMedEd, and ordered an updated pocket medicine guide. First Aid for Step 2 vs Step 3 would be best for my situation? I'll be applying in September, and want to be as ready as possible to be a productive and hard working resident in a year, and to be able to assure programs that the time away won't affect my clinical judgement/ knowledge when the time comes.