Retake the MCAt or go to a graduate program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Basil246

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi! So I am an applicant for the 2018 cycle and have gotten waitlisted at a few schools and am trying to decide what to do next. I think part of what held me back this cycle is that I had an incomplete on my transcript for a 400 level research class (my advisor put up the grade late) and not every school let me send in updates. Also, my MCAT isn't terrible, its a 509 on the second attempt but it is unbalance favoring reading and psych. MY cGPA is a 3.7 and my sGPA is somewhere around a 3.4. I'm debating doing a graduate certificate program at FIU or retaking the MCAT again for third time. Advice?
 
I think your MCAT is fine! AMCAS has a list of post-bac programs, which could help with the low science GPA. The Incomplete on your transcript will be gone by next cycle right? If that was indeed a red flag, then you application should be much stronger next cycle!
 
I think your MCAT is fine! AMCAS has a list of post-bac programs, which could help with the low science GPA. The Incomplete on your transcript will be gone by next cycle right? If that was indeed a red flag, then you application should be much stronger next cycle!
Yeah it's already been changed! Thank you!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't think the incomplete would have made a difference as long as you explained it on your AMCAS they give you a section to do that. What was your list? and what were your ECs? Are you a URM? What was your first MCAT?
 
I don't think the incomplete would have made a difference as long as you explained it on your AMCAS they give you a section to do that. What was your list? and what were your ECs? Are you a URM? What was your first MCAT?
I didn’t explain it on my amcas because I didn’t realize it would be listed that way until after. I’m URM. My first Mcat was 503
 
A URM with a 509, 3.7 cGPA, and 3.4 sGPA assuming you have a decent number of shadowing, clinical volunteering, and non-clinical volunteering efforts and no red flags (IA or felonies) is pretty competitive for mid tier medical schools. I know a few with slightly lower stats accepted to Top 20 schools as well. This being said I think your list might have been the issue. Did you apply to top-heavy? How many schools have you been waitlisted at? There is probably still a decent chance of getting in. Maybe you didn't interview to well or well enough to set up apart from the other applicants.
 
I’ve been waitlisted at a DO school and am MD and recently interviewed at a MD school that I have yet to hear back from. I ageee that my interview skills probably need work, I felt that they inproved through the cycle, but even still I don’t feel like I did my best. I applied to around 15 MD schools and 5 DOs. All mid to low tier and my stats were around their averages for almost all the schools I applied to.