Retaking B's Prerequisite advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retake anatomy 1 and 2?

• Yes

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters

DinoDan883

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I plan on applying to PT programs this application cycle, I graduate in December. I currently have a cumulative gpa of 3.77, however my science prerequisite gpa is around a 3.3. I plan on taking the GRE this summer. I have received a handful of B's early on in college.

AP 1 and 2: B's
Chem 1 and 2: B's
Microbiology: B
Physics 1: A
Physics 2: most likely an A
Patho:A
Psych Stats:A
Psychology courses: A
My University gave me credit for AP Bio, Psych, Calc, and Stats

My question is do you think it is worth it to retake AP 1 and 2 over the summer and Fall to boost my science GPA? I am pretty certain I would be able to pull off A's now. I plan on applying to programs such as: UMD-Baltimore, UMD- Eastern Shore, WVU, Shenandoah, Marshall, VCU, Arcadia, Alvernia, Hampton, and Marymount. The only thing Im worried about is retaking them and doing worse if something happens because my school only counts your last attempt, but I highly doubt I would do worse the 2nd time.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

How much it's worth it depends on whether:

1. Your institutions do grade replacement

and

2. How highly they weigh prerequisite GPA.

So if you have that information or can get it, you're more qualified to decide than we are. If it were me personally, I would only retake those if at least several of my top schools did grade replacement, and it'd be anatomy because that course is important and you want to have an A in it if possible. Otherwise, the average pre-req GPA of accepted students nationwide is around 3.5ish so you're at a slight disadvantage if left as is. A high GRE can make up for a lower GPA to some extent, depending on where you're applying.

Reactions: 1 user
Truthfully, I would be more concerned about whether or not the schools you're interested in will take AP credits for prereqs. Some just won't.

Reactions: 1 users
Truthfully, I would be more concerned about whether or not the schools you're interested in will take AP credits for prereqs. Some just won't.

Wanted to second this, by the time you apply you should know each of your programs admission requirements and pre-reqs policies inside and out. Better to know before you apply than waste money on an application that will be thrown out by the computer before anyone even sees it.

As per the retakes, if you have the money and time then why not? During the waiting game you'll want every advantage you can to get yourself ahead of other applicants and earn a spot at your preferred program. My personal thought is that getting into the right school can often times save tens of thousands of dollars, so if you spend a few extra hundreds on GRE retakes/ retaking a course and that gets you over the hump for a spot, then you just made an awesome investment.

Reactions: 1 user