Retaking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dors89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated in April and was thinking of retaking a couple of classes to boost my pre-req GPA. I already have a couple classes that I have retaken on my transcript. Will it hurt me or help me in the application process? Do schools that take the higher grade look at how many times you've taken the class - twice vs. three times?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated in April and was thinking of retaking a couple of classes to boost my pre-req GPA. I already have a couple classes that I have retaken on my transcript. Will it hurt me or help me in the application process? Do schools that take the higher grade look at how many times you've taken the class - twice vs. three times?

So...I did not get in last year when I applied and I DID get in this year and besides just getting more observation hours ( I work at a PT clinic ) the only difference in my application was that I retook my Chem I and Physics I classes. I think it shows that you want to make your application as competitive as possible and you are willing to put in the time and effort to do so. :0) That is just in my case but I hope this helps!! Good luck!!:D

I would advise against retaking courses you've taken already (unless you failed). It would be very unfortunate to retake a class you got a C in and only end up with a B-...that's not impressive. Instead, I'd suggest taking higher level bio/chem/exercise science courses that aren't prereqs but will still factor into your science GPA/upper division GPA. Maybe look at your schools suggested courses (but not mandatory prereqs) and see where you think you could do well (e.g. organic chem, biochem, higher level anatomy/phys, exercise phys, etc.)

And if you're taking the same class three times, then that would definitely raise some red flags. Retaking a class once is one thing, but taking it a third time is a bit excessive.