Retaking Prereqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I've gotten a c- in calc 3rd qtr and physics 1st qtr. my school won't let you retake them unless you've gotten a d...and i've asked to petition and i cant...i can't really take them in cc because then half my series would be at my 4year 1/2 would be at cc..

what should i do???

Members don't see this ad.

you should still re-take them at a community college and make sure you get an A. it does not matter if the series is broken up because you have still technically finished the entire series at you school.

the schools will average these two grades together. also, you can take the hit of a c- if you avg science gpa is still at 3.0 or above.

this is what i did and i'm now at SCCO. :)

good luck!

As a non-science undergrad major, my first few sciences classes were a DISASTER! I didn't have the best professors and by the time I got to ochem, I couldn't handle another C. I decided to retake them, as I knew C's were not going to get me far...I met a chemistry professor who just made Chemistry EASY to understand. I ended up retaking all my chems (yes General chemistry 1, 2 and Ochem1) because I knew I had to boost my GPA. Although it does not replace the original grade, it will boost your GPA and you will gain better understanding of the material (which I believe matters when it comes to taking the OAT). If you can retake the class, then do it. But just be advised, just because you take it at community will not make it easy. I have found, especially with the community colleges in LA, they use the science community college classes to filter students out...so it will still take studying to get that A!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a non-science undergrad major, my first few sciences classes were a DISASTER! I didn't have the best professors and by the time I got to ochem, I couldn't handle another C. I decided to retake them, as I knew C's were not going to get me far...I met a chemistry professor who just made Chemistry EASY to understand. I ended up retaking all my chems (yes General chemistry 1, 2 and Ochem1) because I knew I had to boost my GPA. Although it does not replace the original grade, it will boost your GPA and you will gain better understanding of the material (which I believe matters when it comes to taking the OAT). If you can retake the class, then do it. But just be advised, just because you take it at community will not make it easy. I have found, especially with the community colleges in LA, they use the science community college classes to filter students out...so it will still take studying to get that A!

To be perfectly honest, I'm far from brilliant when it comes to science and math. I haven't had a science class since highschool (2001-ish) and I started college a little late (I'm 26 and I'm a sophomore). My question is, how can I prepare for the prereq's for Pre-op? I know I have to take Chem 1, 2 and Organic and I believe a few physics courses. I'm pretty sure I can handle 1 and 2, but I've heard horror stories about Organic...is there anything I can do NOW to prepare for that class? Does it weigh heavily on the OAT? I would like to go to SCO, and it will probably be another 3-4 years before I can apply, so I'm trying to make sure I do everything I can to get the best grades and am fully prepared for the OAT. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Did you get my pm? I forgot to check copy to sent folder so I can't confirm it sent now.

Yes I did. Thanks! I haven't had time to look at it yet, but at this point, anything is helpful.