This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ibjudo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello all,
I know this has been asked a lot and I’ve asked this previously too... but I have different questions and I can really use your help.
*please respond only if you have concrete info and know the topic, I’ve been getting mixed info lately and I don’t want to get confused anymore than I already am
Also this post mostly pertains to those living in NYC but if you can contribute I would gladly appreciate any advice!

Thank you in advance .
Questions:
1) I know as an RN-BSN(bachelors) I will still have to take more pre requisite courses. But I don’t want to pay lot for them, I also am aware that med schools look for a 4 year college courses no community college courses. So does anyone living in New York City know any good (and cheap) 4 year schools to get my pre-reqs done.
2) if I know what I want to do in medicine, and I would prefer patient contact over research should I focus my volunteer work on that patient contact and anything that pertains to that , or should I have some research volunteer hours like “lab research” hours and lab work.
3) Do med schools look at RNs wanting to be MDs differently (in any way good or bad) , if so please specify how?
4) if you are living in New York City (5 boroughs) and are doing premed or are in a med school please , please offer some advice as to what school to beat so pre reqs in and how to go about application and stuff...

Thank you for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

I never understood why pre-RNs would want to go into nursing school knowing that they want to be a MD. Why not just take the NP route if you want to be an RN. Nursing school is very competitive, so why take the spot of someone who wants to be and RN and work their way up in the nursing field? I can't tell you what to do, but think about it. That spot is for someone who wants to be in the nursing field at the end of the day.

To interject into your first question, med schools do look at community college courses, prereqs or not.

I never understood why pre-RNs would want to go into nursing school knowing that they want to be a MD. Why not just take the NP route if you want to be an RN. Nursing school is very competitive, so why take the spot of someone who wants to be and RN and work their way up in the nursing field? I can't tell you what to do, but think about it. That spot is for someone who wants to be in the nursing field at the end of the day.

To interject into your first question, med schools do look at community college courses, prereqs or not.

It seems you didn’t read my thread properly ! I’m already a nurse , I thought this is what I wanted but turns out it’s not... it’s a long story. Please do not judge people based on their decisions.
Thank you

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It seems you didn’t read my thread properly ! I’m already a nurse , I thought this is what I wanted but turns out it’s not... it’s a long story. Please do not judge people based on their decisions.
Thank you
How long have you been a nurse?

Don't worry. Just do well on MCAT, get accepted. You will be WAY ahead of most students in medical school.

I remembered number 1 student from my medical school class was a former nurse.

I see a tougher time getting in medical school because primarily of a low MCAT for most nurse applicants, due to juggling job as a working nurse and preparing for MCAT.

Just STOP working, give youself a solid 6 months to prepare for MCAT, once you get a score 512, then you can go back to working as a nurse while applying for medical school.

No one can fault you with MCAT 512, anything less, many people can find bones about nurses as less qualified for medical school.

Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry. Just do well on MCAT, get accepted. You will be WAY ahead of most students in medical school.

I remembered number 1 student from my medical school class was a former nurse.

I see a tougher time getting in medical school because primarily of a low MCAT for most nurse applicants, due to juggling job as a working nurse and preparing for MCAT.

Just STOP working, give youself a solid 6 months to prepare for MCAT, once you get a score 512, then you can go back to working as a nurse while applying for medical school.

No one can fault you with MCAT 512, anything less, many people can find bones about nurses as less qualified for medical school.

Thank you I really appreciate your encouragement !