RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, I'm almost two years out of school and I have a 2.7 gpa. Looking to go back and boost this average up to something that has me somewhat competitive for DO schools. What have you guys done? I'll be working part time med/ICU as well, 12 hour shifts. Thanks
How many credits do you have done? Honestly if you have 90+ its literally going to take dozens of classes to raise your GPA up to at least a 3. Theres a really helpful post on here that someone wrote that details how to get in med school with a low GPA. Give it a read -https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goros-advice-for-pre-meds-who-need-reinvention.1291333/

Members don't see this ad.

How many credits do you have done? Honestly if you have 90+ its literally going to take dozens of classes to raise your GPA up to at least a 3. Theres a really helpful post on here that someone wrote that details how to get in med school with a low GPA. Give it a read -https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/goros-advice-for-pre-meds-who-need-reinvention.1291333/
I have 124 credits in total, most of which come from nursing courses. I thought taking pre reqs and some other courses and maintaining a high GPA would show upward trend and allow me to apply for DO programs.. It should be noted that I don't think spending 5 years to raise my average is realistic. I was expecting this to be a 2-3 year process max

I have 124 credits in total, most of which come from nursing courses. I thought taking pre reqs and some other courses and maintaining a high GPA would show upward trend and allow me to apply for DO programs.. It should be noted that I don't think spending 5 years to raise my average is realistic. I was expecting this to be a 2-3 year process max
Realistically speaking, I dont know how you can rebound from that. If you look at earlier discussions on this thread, some people are even saying that the nursing classes are factored into your sGPA. I guess the only way you could offset that GPA is if you did spectacular on the MCAT, or had some very unique EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically speaking, I dont know how you can rebound from that. If you look at earlier discussions on this thread, some people are even saying that the nursing classes are factored into your sGPA. I guess the only way you could offset that GPA is if you did spectacular on the MCAT, or had some very unique EC's.
From what i've gathered, not all schools consider nursing courses to be science courses. I would say that the majority don't. I'm sure it's possible because i've seen people with much lower GPAs rebuild and gain acceptance into a DO/MD school

From what i've gathered, not all schools consider nursing courses to be science courses. I would say that the majority don't. I'm sure it's possible because i've seen people with much lower GPAs rebuild and gain acceptance into a DO/MD school

DO schools do consider nursing classes as "other science courses" and do use them to calculate your sGPA. This changed a few years ago, sadly. I'm not sure about MD schools, i think they actually do not count them.

DO schools do consider nursing classes as "other science courses" and do use them to calculate your sGPA. This changed a few years ago, sadly. I'm not sure about MD schools, i think they actually do not count them.
I mean, it doesn't change much in the long run. I understand that this will be a marathon and require a couple of years of re-invention. But I'm up for the challenge. Where there's a will there's a way. I think i'll start by completing pre reqs come September and then try for a formal post bacc afterwards. All I want is a ticket to the dance

@NickMT-RN
You're correct, AMCAS does NOT count nursing in the science GPA. It's included in the overall/non-science. Maybe if there was an anatomy/physiology course hosted by the nursing department that was equivalent to one in the biology department, one could get it to count, but it sounds like from their course classification guide, that is largely not the case.

There's an excel sheet floating around somewhere that calculates the AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs side-by-side, and including my nursing courses in the sGPA for DO schools bumped my sGPA up to the next tenths place with a little extra compared to my MD sGPA. I can see it potentially being the opposite case for someone who had a rough time in nursing school but then dominates the med school prerequisites.

@NickMT-RN
You're correct, AMCAS does NOT count nursing in the science GPA. It's included in the overall/non-science. Maybe if there was an anatomy/physiology course hosted by the nursing department that was equivalent to one in the biology department, one could get it to count, but it sounds like from their course classification guide, that is largely not the case.

There's an excel sheet floating around somewhere that calculates the AMCAS and AACOMAS GPAs side-by-side, and including my nursing courses in the sGPA for DO schools bumped my sGPA up to the next tenths place with a little extra compared to my MD sGPA. I can see it potentially being the opposite case for someone who had a rough time in nursing school but then dominates the med school prerequisites.
I have to ace the comeback! Ain't nothing to it but to do it.

Reactions: 1 user
took it once, 501, not stellar. I think it was the 62nd percentile for that take. I took 6 months to study because I was working fulltime nights. :sleep:
I just took it and I must say that your stats seem competitive for D.O. school. I think if viewed holistically, your application may be also competitive for MD schools.

I just took it and I must say that your stats seem competitive for D.O. school. I think if viewed holistically, your application may be also competitive for MD schools.

I'm already in med school, a second year. :)

i never applied to MD, figured it would be a waste of money and i was interested in OMM.

Hey ya'll, SDN lurker here, I stumbled across this thread and figured I'd break my silence to throw in my two cents and maybe give some encouragement. I won't bore you with the details of my story, but basically I'm a CVICU RN who didn't have prior premed classes. I took the necessary prereqs over two years while working full-time, then took a month off to study and sat for the MCAT this June. I've been having pretty good luck so far this application cycle and would encourage prospective nurses that getting accepted is very doable, you just have to be prepared for a lot of hard and sacrifice. It's definitely not for everyone, the NP or CRNA route makes a lot more sense for most, but if it's worth the extra effort and cost (extra classes and applying is hella expensive, not to mention the impending med-school debt) to you then it's possible. Regarding discussing your ambitions with colleagues, I would agree with past-posters that it's probably better to hold your cards close to your chest around your unit, once you let that cat out of the bag you can't put it back and you'll likely be treated different (speaking from experience). The best advice I can give is come at your classes and especially the MCAT like your an underdog, because past nursing experience won't help your applications if you're sub-par academically, but if you show that you can stand toe-to-toe with traditional premed applicants in the classroom, the nursing experience will put you over the top. Like I said, I'm not in medical school yet so I might not be wisest source of experience, but I figured I would pay it forward in case it helps anyone. Feel free to PM me and pick my brain if my experience is relevant to your plans.

Reactions: 6 users
Hello Everyone!

NP ---> MD hopeful. I received my first interview invite last week after submitting my secondary 2.5 weeks prior. Very few people know I'm applying - not even my family. We'll see how it goes!

It is very hard to do all of this (science classes, MCAT, secondaries) while working full-time, raising children, volunteering, guest-lecturing etc. etc. etc. but we do it. Keep your heads up and keep grinding. T-I-R-E-D but inspired. :dead:

I was surprised but BOTH of my pathophysiology courses (bachelors, doctorate) in the nursing departments were counted in my AMCAS science GPA as Biology courses. :horns:

Any recommendations for an easy RN gig while in school full time?

Members don't see this ad :)

Pshhh... Some people can pull it off but I couldn't. I tried to work evenings on an admit unit, lasted about a month my first year.

The ideal job would be like an immediate Care who only needed you for 8 hours on Friday evening or Saturday morning. My wife does flu shot clinics, that's fairly low stress but very sporatic hours.

Do you need full time or will 2-12 hour days do it? I've seen people who work as private duty nurses for overnight shifts on the weekend. Work a couple hours as needed making sure vent patient is stable. Study the rest of the time. Friday, Saturday or Sunday overnights.

Do you need full time or will 2-12 hour days do it? I've seen people who work as private duty nurses for overnight shifts on the weekend. Work a couple hours as needed making sure vent patient is stable. Study the rest of the time. Friday, Saturday or Sunday overnights.
Im contracted full time at my hospital until April and after that I’m free to go wherever and hours wise, all of my classes left are in series, so the most hours I’ll be taking a semester is maybe 9. Usually less. So just a reasonable load for that.

Anyone recommend home health? Since it’s on your own schedule?

I’m actually trying to transition from working nights to days so I don’t lose so much time swapping back and forth

Im contracted full time at my hospital until April and after that I’m free to go wherever and hours wise, all of my classes left are in series, so the most hours I’ll be taking a semester is maybe 9. Usually less. So just a reasonable load for that.

Anyone recommend home health? Since it’s on your own schedule?

I’m actually trying to transition from working nights to days so I don’t lose so much time swapping back and forth

Home health or hospice is good... there's a good number of agencies or hospital groups that advertise for PRN home health or hospice nurses. But they generally prefer RNs with home health experience... are you able to transition to home health full time right after your contract so you can get experience? I have to say though: home health is an entirely different beast! Like the military: you'll either love it or you'll hate it... no in between ;)

Also consider chart reviews for a hospital or insurance group. Or even case management for companies like UHC, Aetna, or the many other insurance companies that hire RNs to work from home. I believe they have weekend hours, but I'm not sure about on call hours.

Last edited:
Home health or hospice is good... there's a good number of agencies or hospital groups that advertise for PRN home health or hospice nurses. But they generally prefer RNs with home health experience... are you able to transition to home health full time right after your contract so you can get experience? I have to say though: home health is an entirely different beast! Like the military: you'll either love it or you'll hate it... no in between ;)

Also consider chart reviews for a hospital or insurance group. Or even case management for companies like UHC, Aetna, or the many other insurance companies that hire RNs to work from home. I believe they have weekend hours, but I'm not sure about on call hours.
Hmm guess I’ll have to find out about them somehow to see if it would be somewhere I’d want to work. As long as whatever job is flexible. So far PRN agency job sounds good. I know many of them pay much more than my hospital. My friend was making 65 an hour once she figured up travel allowance, housing etc.

My elderly grandma basically offered to give me whatever she has left to go to school and let me not work, but I don’t like taking free money. I’ve always worked for what I had.

Reactions: 1 users
Hmm guess I’ll have to find out about them somehow to see if it would be somewhere I’d want to work. As long as whatever job is flexible. So far PRN agency job sounds good. I know many of them pay much more than what I do. My friend was making 65 an hour once she figured up travel allowance, housing etc.
Yes! Definitely working agency is the best! I did that my first 2 years as a nurse... cant beat the money!:greedy:

I personally dont think I'll be able to go back to agency RN while in med school though. These old bones will be doing work from home :laugh:

Hi guys and gals,

I'm just curious what materials you used or are currently using to study for the MCAT? Are you self studying for the exam or are you taking classes (in person or online)?

Hi guys and gals,

I'm just curious what materials you used or are currently using to study for the MCAT? Are you self studying for the exam or are you taking classes (in person or online)?
I used Kaplan and Khan + had a personal tutor (John Weitzel = highly recommend). I have been taking in person and online courses. My Physics class this quarter is on Saturday. My Ochem/Biochem is hybrid (homework and some quizzes online, lab and exams in person 3x/quarter from 5-10PM). Next quarter, Biochem is online and I'll go in person two evenings a week for Physics.

Hi guys and gals,

For MCAT i used Kaplan and Khan.

PreReq Classes were a mix:
O Chem was a summer intensive at UNCG. Ochem 1 and 2 + lab in 8 weeks. Fun stuff
Physics 1 in class, physics 2 online.
Biochem 1 and 2 online
All the above classes i took shortly before the MCAT
Pathophys in class
+ all prereqs for nursing school were in class - A&P 1 and 2, Bio, Gen Chem, Micro.

In med school we use a plethora of different crap. Mostly First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy.

I am cath lab PRN. (Used to be ED.)
Moved here early to orient full time to the job and now take intermittent weekend call. So, like, today I was on call all day—got called in once at 7pm, left at 8, but got 2 hours of callback pay and 24h of call pay.

It’s great most of the time, except getting called in a lot or at 2am (rare, but it happens)

I used to work nights so I can handle it for now. Really really helps us financially! Plus it is so great to still have my feet and hands in a critical care clinical environment. And have all the perks of working at the local hospital.

Currently finishing nursing school next May, and I will start taking O-Chem in July and the rest of my preqreqs in the Fall. Any of you guys know of decent part time jobs for new grads that will give me time for studying + work? My father will help me out with some of my rent so I don't really need a high paying job or lots of hours a week.

Do you guys think working in a hospital is ideal for me, or should I go somewhere else like a small clinic or something? I'm new to the job process so anything would be greatly appreciated. I talked to a local recruiter a couple of weeks ago saying that at their hospital, New grads work around 40~ hours a week training at their orientation; I don't think that is feasible for me at all.

Currently finishing nursing school next May, and I will start taking O-Chem in July and the rest of my preqreqs in the Fall. Any of you guys know of decent part time jobs for new grads that will give me time for studying + work? My father will help me out with some of my rent so I don't really need a high paying job or lots of hours a week.

Do you guys think working in a hospital is ideal for me, or should I go somewhere else like a small clinic or something? I'm new to the job process so anything would be greatly appreciated. I talked to a local recruiter a couple of weeks ago saying that at their hospital, New grads work around 40~ hours a week training at their orientation; I don't think that is feasible for me at all.
Typical new grads work 36 hours a week. Most PRN or part time positions want nurses will full time experience.

And yeah you’ll prob do 8-5 m-f training at first. Was like that for every job I’ve had

I worked 24 hours/week during graduate school in REI. TH + every weekend or F + every weekend. 7a-3p or 830a-5p. Rare find but it was a private practice that was open 7 days a week. Nursing students don't see REI in school and this practice knew that and actually preferred new grads for molding purposes. A recruiter is a good idea because some know about the personalities of certain work places. Unless you're in a hospital-based clinic (versus inpatient), you are probably going to see 36 hours/week and 12-hour shifts. My hospital does have some 8 hour inpatient shifts though ...

Maybe talking to more recruiters and looking at private practice will help?

For MCAT i used Kaplan and Khan.

PreReq Classes were a mix:
O Chem was a summer intensive at UNCG. Ochem 1 and 2 + lab in 8 weeks. Fun stuff
Physics 1 in class, physics 2 online.
Biochem 1 and 2 online
All the above classes i took shortly before the MCAT
Pathophys in class
+ all prereqs for nursing school were in class - A&P 1 and 2, Bio, Gen Chem, Micro.

In med school we use a plethora of different crap. Mostly First Aid, Pathoma, and Sketchy.

How did you use Khan? Did you have a study guide that correlate Khan Videos to Kaplan chapters? And did you sign up for a Kaplan course or just the books?

How did you use Khan? Did you have a study guide that correlate Khan Videos to Kaplan chapters? And did you sign up for a Kaplan course or just the books?

If i remember correctly i watched the Khan videos that correlated best with the chapter i was reading in Kaplan. And i bought the course, not just the books.

If i remember correctly i watched the Khan videos that correlated best with the chapter i was reading in Kaplan. And i bought the course, not just the books.

Thanks Nick! How were the Kaplan books for you?

Been a nurse for almost a decade. Will be matriculating to DO school. Best of luck to you all :)

Forgot to update! NP --> MD E-2019. Accepted to two MD schools and pulled my other interviews. One is a Top 10 and my #1 choice. ^_^

See y'all on the other side!

I'm an AA male in the NICU. I came from a low SES, real low, was technically homeless as a senior in H.S. So I didn't think too much about what I wanted to do in college, I just knew that I wanted to be the first in my family to go to college and attain a Bachelors. My mom convinced me to do a B.S.N program at a local university and I fell in love with human anatomy and health science as a whole, but due to my financial situation I had to dropout and couldn't finish school. I honestly thought that was the end of my goal to earn a bachelors. I took a year off and just worked and played my video game, and I realized that I was wasting my life, I never felt productive and I was just depressed honestly. Then one day I just decided I wouldn't let that be the end of my education and I found an accelerated associates RN program, worked full-time and went to school. While in school there was a guy who was in medical school but dropped out because he got burnt out, and I used to tell him all the time that "if I could afford it, I would've went to Med School". because in Nursing school I realized that although I like nursing and I believe its a great profession, I don't like the scope of practice. I want more. I've been shadowing a physician who's a surgeon because I like the idea of surgery and shadowing him has been such a great opportunity. He is the PD for Plastics at a university not too far from me and offered to be like a pseudo-mentor for me. I will have my Bachelors this summer, at the same time I will be starting my prerequisites for Med School and my current level of excitement to start my journey to medicine is through the roof!

Forgot to update! NP --> MD E-2019. Accepted to two MD schools and pulled my other interviews. One is a Top 10 and my #1 choice. ^_^

See y'all on the other side!

Yayy! Congrats!! I’m sure you’ve been asked on this a lot around here but what made you decide to switch from NP —> MD?

Yayy! Congrats!! I’m sure you’ve been asked on this a lot around here but what made you decide to switch from NP —> MD?
I'm ready for complex/high risk cases and I want to be a surgeon.

Not an NP but I feel you on that. I want to be a surgeon.
I have spent time catching babies, helping folks make babies (REI) and living to raise their babies (hereditary cancer genetics). Time to help fix/manage what's done to the body overtime, particularly after childbearing (FPMRS). Dream big!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an AA male in the NICU. I came from a low SES, real low, was technically homeless as a senior in H.S. So I didn't think too much about what I wanted to do in college, I just knew that I wanted to be the first in my family to go to college and attain a Bachelors. My mom convinced me to do a B.S.N program at a local university and I fell in love with human anatomy and health science as a whole, but due to my financial situation I had to dropout and couldn't finish school. I honestly thought that was the end of my goal to earn a bachelors. I took a year off and just worked and played my video game, and I realized that I was wasting my life, I never felt productive and I was just depressed honestly. Then one day I just decided I wouldn't let that be the end of my education and I found an accelerated associates RN program, worked full-time and went to school. While in school there was a guy who was in medical school but dropped out because he got burnt out, and I used to tell him all the time that "if I could afford it, I would've went to Med School". because in Nursing school I realized that although I like nursing and I believe its a great profession, I don't like the scope of practice. I want more. I've been shadowing a physician who's a surgeon because I like the idea of surgery and shadowing him has been such a great opportunity. He is the PD for Plastics at a university not too far from me and offered to be like a pseudo-mentor for me. I will have my Bachelors this summer, at the same time I will be starting my prerequisites for Med School and my current level of excitement to start my journey to medicine is through the roof!
You'v got this. Take all the mentorship you can get and keep grinding. You will be there shortly. :cat:

Thank You, I am excited.

I have spent time catching babies, helping folks make babies (REI) and living to raise their babies (hereditary cancer genetics). Time to help fix/manage what's done to the body overtime, particularly after childbearing (FPMRS). Dream big!

Haha, that's awesome. Half my nursing career was spent as a first assist. It's time I take lead on the operations. Praying for that vascular surgery life.

Good idea to tell your nursing professor(s) your taking premed classes in nursing school?

It's my last semester and next week we were going to have a Sim lab with the respiratory students on Wednesday but they moved the "Sim " lab on Monday, the day I have Gen Chem 2 class.

Obviously some people are mad (those with kids who need a babysitter now, those with jobs, etc.)

Good idea to tell your nursing professor(s) your taking premed classes in nursing school?

It's my last semester and next week we were going to have a Sim lab with the respiratory students on Wednesday but they moved the "Sim " lab on Monday, the day I have Gen Chem 2 class.

Obviously some people are mad (those with kids who need a babysitter now, those with jobs, etc.)

I only told one who I was especially close to. I was nervous at first but she was very supportive, She also wrote me a LOR for medical school when the time came.

I also took med pre-requisites alongside my nursing program.

Btw the interprofessional sim days in nursing school were some of my favorite days.

Sorry for the random disjointed thoughts lol.

Hello everyone!
I'm Casey. I have read through this and many other posts of nurses who have made the decision to go to med school and feel much less crazy about it. I'm nearly 27, been a nurse for close to 5 years with 4 years in ER, 1 in trauma ICU and cardiac CC. I have my ADN, BSN, an AA in Spanish and will have an AAS in Paramedic in December. GPA cumulative is a 3.6 I've also volunteered at my local fire department for 5 years as an EMT and FF. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but got a scholarship to nursing school and went with it. I have always thought that becoming a physician was unattainable until I started looking into NP and PA school and wanting more (and EVERYONE I know encouraging me to go to med school)

Currently starting prerequisites with plans to take MCAT 3 months after and then apply to 10 schools. My biggest question is did schools accept all of your prerequisites (the ones for med school), how did you study for MCAT, how many schools did you apply to, and how long was the process from prerequisites to accepted? Ive read through the thread also, just asking to see a range of time. I'm honestly most worried that I'll do all the prerequisites and MCAT and not get accepted anywhere.

Thank you all, this is possibly the most supportive thread I have seen!

Hello everyone!
I'm Casey. I have read through this and many other posts of nurses who have made the decision to go to med school and feel much less crazy about it. I'm nearly 27, been a nurse for close to 5 years with 4 years in ER, 1 in trauma ICU and cardiac CC. I have my ADN, BSN, an AA in Spanish and will have an AAS in Paramedic in December. GPA cumulative is a 3.6 I've also volunteered at my local fire department for 5 years as an EMT and FF. I have always wanted to be a doctor, but got a scholarship to nursing school and went with it. I have always thought that becoming a physician was unattainable until I started looking into NP and PA school and wanting more (and EVERYONE I know encouraging me to go to med school)

Currently starting prerequisites with plans to take MCAT 3 months after and then apply to 10 schools. My biggest question is did schools accept all of your prerequisites (the ones for med school), how did you study for MCAT, how many schools did you apply to, and how long was the process from prerequisites to accepted? Ive read through the thread also, just asking to see a range of time. I'm honestly most worried that I'll do all the prerequisites and MCAT and not get accepted anywhere.

Thank you all, this is possibly the most supportive thread I have seen!

1. Yes, schools accepted my prerequisites, but why wouldn’t they?

2. I used all the typical resources (Kaplan, Princeton etc) but what I wish i did was a lot more practice questions and tests!

3. Number of schools just depends on your GPA and MCAT. I believe I applied to 30 or 40, but I was also totally fine with DO school, so I had a lot of broader options! The amount of time from completion of your prerequisites/MCAT and acceptance just depends on when you take your test. I would say it’s ideal to test in the late spring/early summer and have your app complete with a score in late June or early July, but it is MUCH better to take extra MCAT prep time than it is to do poorly on the MCAT and have to dig yourself out of a hole!

Take plenty of practice tests and only take the real thing when you know you can get the score that you want.

Hi everyone!

I just graduated with my BSN in may and have started working as a new grad RN in the PICU. I am also in the first semester of a pediatric nurse practitioner program, and I am beginning to realize that I truly want to go to medical school over medical school. My BSN GPA was 3.5. Any advice on how to proceed? I don't want to drop out of the NP program and look like a quitter, but also don't want to unnecessarily waste the time/money.

Any advice from someone who was/is in a similar situation would be so appreciated!!

I know this thread is 11 pages long and I don't have time to look at every entry haha, but as a 2nd year medical student who has gone through the application process, this is my advice: Why MD? Why DO? This is a seemingly innocuous question: "Because I love medicine and learning!" could be a good answer. But really consider why MD, DO, because as an RN, your path probably lends you all to going through the route of NP.

So really break down the difference between NP and DO, subtlety. MD/DOs are expected to be leaders. Admissions committees love examples of leadership: Whether it be president of club, captain of a team, etc. etc.

So, definitely hone in on leadership capabilities and why no other medical profession would be enough for your passion to be a leader/expert in your field.

Small tid bit, hope it helps during your secondary/primary interviews!