RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, everyone! My house is currently being packed up for the Big Move (TM) and I'm trying to stay out of the movers' way so I thought I'd check in on you wonderful people. I love that this thread is continuing to grow. I'll try to answer some posts while I'm here. Let's see..

These are two very valid concerns that you definitely should be thinking about before diving into this journey. At this age and with a family, I'm sorry, but financial stability isn't a logical reason to go into medicine.

Your pre-reqs could take between two to five years to finish depending on how much Chemistry you've already done. Application can add at least a year if the stars don't align. Then you'll have four years of medical school with upwards of 200K of debt, then at least three years of residency after that (where the pay is between 38K-48K/yr). That's between 7-12 years of minimal to negative income before you start pulling Attending money (which, granted, will be fairly substantial, ie, >= $150K/year). Will you be able to make that transition? Only you can truly answer that, but if you're already having a difficult time with money as a nurse, the path to medicine might not be the safest bet.

Hi, Lisa! This is a common reason I've seen around here for making the leap. I was also an ADN-prepared ICU nurse around your age when I decided to start the journey to medicine. Actually, your story resonates with me a bit. I also had mediocre grades, worked full-time, and have an extra-supportive husband who couldn't have been more amazing as I mulled over this insane notion of going back to school to be a doctor. All that being said, I don't have a kid, so your path might be extra challenging.

I wanna address your decision to get a Biology degree. It's fine. People do it all the time. But I do question the logic of extending your pre-req years when you can just finish up your BSN? I also caution against this because labs are time sinks, and you'll need SO MANY LABS to get a biology degree. That's not a problem for youngins who don't have other responsibilities, but for an adult with a full-time job and a family, it's bound to be ridiculously tough! Years ago, the illustrious @QofQuimica gave me this sage advice that I'm now passing on to my fellow nurses:

She's a wonderful resource for non-trads and her words significantly affected the trajectory of my path to med school. I went the BSN route and DIY-ed my pre-reqs. I took some CC classes because of schedule and money issues (while still eventually obtaining my degree from a four-year university). I did what I had to do, aced my classes, and, lo and behold, the adcoms didn't care what my degree was in. The degree doesn't matter as long as you keep your numbers competitive and check the boxes.

--

Mmk, movers need attention. I'll try and get through more posts later. You guys keep rocking, ok? <3

Thank you for this wonderful post! I may have to do some prereqs at CC and am shaky about it.

Members don't see this ad.

I always like to come here after I've taken summer courses just to read about the improvements and stories of others.
Well, I might as well just get straight to the point and share that last summer I finished taking Chem II and managed to get an A. This summer I tested myself even further, and thanks to some money my partner and I saved, I was able to take Physics I and II. I seriously ended my spring semester of nursing and like a week later I was at my local community college taking Physics I ( and then I complained for like two days as to why I didn't have a summer.....silly me!!+pity+).
I must admit that although I never took Physics in high school (something I sort of regret) I was proud to have earned an A- in Physics I and an A in Physics II. Then, I decided to challenge myself even further and volunteered at an ambulatory facility in my area (I applied for a clerical position there thinking I would get the job, but I was told I was overqualified. Then I persisted and called the Nursing Director and he allowed me in as a volunteer/"shadower"). They specialize in orthopedics. Well, as I mentioned, I started off as simply a volunteer and later on they decided to pay me for my work ( I basically help out in everything..i.e. translating for Spanish speaking patients, hanging IVs, cleaning the chairs, doing pre-op and post-op patient care, and even observing the anesthesiologists/doctors).
I should also say that I managed to earn a job at a hospital near me as a supervisor attendant, which I pray will show leadership skills in the future...
In summary, during this summer I have juggled physics I and then II, shadowing/volunteering/working as a nursing studento_O?, and getting a new job as a supervisor attendant. Truly, it has made me feel a bit more confident in myself and even patient care!
Though I still think that I am behind since I must take Organic Chemistry to later sit for the MCAT, I wanted to hear the input of others. How was Orgo for you? When do you think I should take the MCAT since Orgo is basically all I have left?
...OOoooh..and one more thing, is it TRUUUUULLLY impossible to work as a per diem nurse and go to medical school?
I know I am all over the place but answering one of my questions, would be helpful! THanks So much for your attention!

Last edited:
I always like to come here after I've taken summer courses just to read about the improvements and stories of others.
Well, I might as well just get straight to the point and share that last summer I finished taking Chem II and managed to get an A. This summer I tested myself even further, and thanks to some money my partner and I saved, I was able to take Physics I and II. I seriously ended my spring semester of nursing and like a week later I was at my local community college taking Physics I ( and then I complained for like two days as to why I didn't have a summer.....silly me!!+pity+).
I must admit that although I never took Physics in high school (something I sort of regret) I was proud to have earned an A- in Physics I and an A in Physics II. Then, I decided to challenge myself even further and volunteered at an ambulatory facility in my area (I applied for a clerical position there thinking I would get the job, but I was told I was overqualified. Then I persisted and called the Nursing Director and he allowed me in as a volunteer/"shadower"). They specialize in orthopedics. Well, as I mentioned, I started off as simply a volunteer and later on they decided to pay me for my work ( I basically help out in everything..i.e. translating for Spanish speaking patients, hanging IVs, cleaning the chairs, doing pre-op and post-op patient care, and even observing the anesthesiologists/doctors).
I should also say that I managed to earn a job at a hospital near me as a supervisor attendant, which I pray will show leadership skills in the future...
In summary, during this summer I have juggled physics I and then II, shadowing/volunteering/working as a nursing studento_O?, and getting a new job as a supervisor attendant. Truly, it has made me feel a bit more confident in myself and even patient care!
Though I still think that I am behind since I must take Organic Chemistry to later sit for the MCAT, I wanted to hear the input of others. How was Orgo for you? When do you think I should take the MCAT since Orgo is basically all I have left?
...OOoooh..and one more thing, is it TRUUUUULLLY impossible to work as a per diem nurse and go to medical school?
I know I am all over the place but answering one of my questions, would be helpful! THanks So much for your attention!

Organic Chemistry was hard but very doable. Also, don't forget to take Biochemistry before sitting for the MCAT. It is now a requirement for most medical schools and is a big component of the new MCAT. Take the test when you're done with OChem and Biochem, preferably early in the year you're going to apply, and definitely after you've studied for it and taken a few satisfying full-lengths.

It is not impossible to work during medical school. I know a few people doing it. I imagine it is really difficult though. Also, for most specialties, you cannot work as a PRN nurse without first having at least a year (usually two) in that field. Just some food for thought. Good luck and good job on your classes!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, good to hear that everyone is doing well and are one step closer to reaching their dreams. For those of my fellow RNs who have made it. What are your thoughts now, reflecting back on all of the things you've sacrificed and done to get where you are? I took a good break after last semester to spend more time with my wife and kids. It was a much needed vacation. I thought to myself perhaps putting this dream aside will eventually help me open my eyes and see the important things in life. But it hasn't really. I keep thinking every now and then, how empty it has been for me when I'm not thinking about becoming a doc. My family have always supported me every step of the way, but always have this guilt built inside of me for being selfish. What are your guys thoughts?

I have recently been dealing with the exact same thoughts. On one hand, I celebrated my first term back in school and getting a 4.0. On the other hand, I think about the time that I will devote to this path, and how quickly time will pass. Am I making things hard on my family? Will my children and wife resent me? Will I have regrets?

In the end, because my job in sales never feels like a stable one, I'm in a position where a career change is both welcome and necessary. My wife supports me, but I know she's got to be wishing I'd just earn a Master's in teaching and be done with. Still, she knows my passion, and it's undying.

I relate to your feelings of emptiness when thinking about becoming or not becoming a physician. Regardless of any anxiety, I have about making the right choice, I've got to keep pressing forward. I am going to be a physician.

Hello All! What a relief/inspiration to find other people who are pursuing their MD in a similar manner. I'm currently a first year ADN student working full time while taking a full time course load. It's been incredibly difficult to find encouragement for this path. If I was in a situation were I could devote all my time to a pre-med degree I would but right now I support myself entirely and am paying for part of my education as well,so for me I can't allow myself/ don't have the luxury to pursue a degree that can't be used for anything other than med school. My goal is to complete my ADN, move into a night shift position(I've worked night shift for over 2 years already lol) and complete my BSN while working. As a first year at the very beginning of this journey does anyone have an words of wisdom related to pre-reqs, being a competitive med school candidate,etc? My areas of interest both in nursing and in medicine...well basically my life passions, are getting healthcare to the 27 mil+ Americans that now have access to healthcare, global and veteran healthcare! All of these things have stemmed from personal experiences that have impacted my life. If anyone has advice to share about anything, or advice about what NOT to do,please share! Cheers to all of RN that made it and to all of us working hard!

Hello All! What a relief/inspiration to find other people who are pursuing their MD in a similar manner. I'm currently a first year ADN student working full time while taking a full time course load. It's been incredibly difficult to find encouragement for this path. If I was in a situation were I could devote all my time to a pre-med degree I would but right now I support myself entirely and am paying for part of my education as well,so for me I can't allow myself/ don't have the luxury to pursue a degree that can't be used for anything other than med school. My goal is to complete my ADN, move into a night shift position(I've worked night shift for over 2 years already lol) and complete my BSN while working. As a first year at the very beginning of this journey does anyone have an words of wisdom related to pre-reqs, being a competitive med school candidate,etc? My areas of interest both in nursing and in medicine...well basically my life passions, are getting healthcare to the 27 mil+ Americans that now have access to healthcare, global and veteran healthcare! All of these things have stemmed from personal experiences that have impacted my life. If anyone has advice to share about anything, or advice about what NOT to do,please share! Cheers to all of RN that made it and to all of us working hard!

I'm not 100% familiar with ADN->BSN bridge programs, but I'd imagine it's about a year long. Have you thought about finishing your ADN, then pursuing a bachelor's in basic science? You'll get the best of both worlds this way. If you pursue your BSN, you'll still have to take a few years to finish the pre-med stuff.

Are you already in the ADN program? If so, congratulations! I feel you on needing to work while going to school. Totally respect that. I say focus on this journey for now. Pass the NCLEX, get an RN job, then start your BSN/pre-med track (bonus if you can get your hospital to pay for the BSN!). Competitiveness is primarily driven by numbers, so keep your GPA as high as you can. I was an ADN-prepared nurse when I started this journey. I worked full-time while completing my BSN and taking premed classes. It was very doable because I worked weekend day shifts. If you have the time and opportunity, do some kind of long-term extracurricular activity. Since you're working and going to school full-time, you won't have the time to do intense research or volunteering like traditional premeds do, so volunteering early on and putting a in couple of hours/week for several years might be the way to go. Longevity and consistency are more important than short-term activities anyway. Find something you're actually interested in.

Oh, you might already know this but keep your journey under wraps at work. You won't find a lot of encouragement from nurses and it might make work a little harder when they think you're just going to leave in a couple of years. Good luck and keep us updated!

I'm not 100% familiar with ADN->BSN bridge programs, but I'd imagine it's about a year long. Have you thought about finishing your ADN, then pursuing a bachelor's in basic science? You'll get the best of both worlds this way. If you pursue your BSN, you'll still have to take a few years to finish the pre-med stuff.
The ADN doesn't cover all of the prerequisites needed to transfer into the upper division of a science program. The BSN is a four semester program and allows room to add an extra class or two to each semester. I'll be able to steadily work on both at the same and end up with about a semester left of pre-requisites. I've definitely looked into going the science route before deciding that the BSN is the correct path for me!

Are you already in the ADN program? If so, congratulations! I feel you on needing to work while going to school. Totally respect that. I say focus on this journey for now. Pass the NCLEX, get an RN job, then start your BSN/pre-med track (bonus if you can get your hospital to pay for the BSN!). Competitiveness is primarily driven by numbers, so keep your GPA as high as you can. I was an ADN-prepared nurse when I started this journey. I worked full-time while completing my BSN and taking premed classes. It was very doable because I worked weekend day shifts. If you have the time and opportunity, do some kind of long-term extracurricular activity. Since you're working and going to school full-time, you won't have the time to do intense research or volunteering like traditional premeds do, so volunteering early on and putting a in couple of hours/week for several years might be the way to go. Longevity and consistency are more important than short-term activities anyway. Find something you're actually interested in.

Oh, you might already know this but keep your journey under wraps at work. You won't find a lot of encouragement from nurses and it might make work a little harder when they think you're just going to leave in a couple of years. Good luck and keep us updated!

Thanks for the wisdom and encouragement! It's been a little bit of a struggle to be 'in the now' while being mindful of what I'll need to accomplish for future endeavors. I have strong interests and passion for global health (human and environmental) and veteran healthcare. Both of these come from personal experiences that I feel would be excellent things to further explore and invest in with volunteering, research and shadowing. I already am involved with the VFW and am looking to find a volunteer opportunity at the local VA outpatient facilities. My fingers are crossed and I'm count my pennies to be able to participate in the nursing over in Zambia that my college offers too. I'm surprised to not see a lot of pre-meds looking into the VFW and VA hospitals for opportunities to serve, they're always looking for help, even just for events or placing flowers on grave sites over Memorial Day, Veteran's Day,etc. Every bit counts and it means so much to the vets to see civilians, especially young folk get involved!

The ADN doesn't cover all of the prerequisites needed to transfer into the upper division of a science program. The BSN is a four semester program and allows room to add an extra class or two to each semester. I'll be able to steadily work on both at the same and end up with about a semester left of pre-requisites. I've definitely looked into going the science route before deciding that the BSN is the correct path for me!

I know brainnurse has done it, but it still doesn't make sense to me unless you really like nursing and want a BSN for the sake of the classes.

I know brainnurse has done it, but it still doesn't make sense to me unless you really like nursing and want a BSN for the sake of the classes.

It's a cost v. benefit question. The financial (cost of tuition plus income loss) and time (four years vs. 1.5 year) cost of getting a BS-Bio is much higher than getting a BSN+medical school prerequisites when you already have an ADN.

It's a cost v. benefit question. The financial (cost of tuition plus income loss) and time (four years vs. 1.5 year) cost of getting a BS-Bio is much higher than getting a BSN+medical school prerequisites when you already have an ADN.

Like brainnurse said it's cost vs benefit. It's also important to realize that there is no one right bachelors major for pre-med. Sure, it might be easier to get a degree in biology or some other traditional pre-med because pre-reqs are usually covered in the major but I believe/have read that medical schools are looking for strong, unique students... Students that have passion for their majors and extra-curriculars. As I said before I did my research about the many options and chose BSN. Under different life circumstances I would have chosen a BS in Public Health but I'm very happy to be pursuing my ADN and eventually my BSN!

Like brainnurse said it's cost vs benefit. It's also important to realize that there is no one right bachelors major for pre-med. Sure, it might be easier to get a degree in biology or some other traditional pre-med because pre-reqs are usually covered in the major but I believe/have read that medical schools are looking for strong, unique students... Students that have passion for their majors and extra-curriculars. As I said before I did my research about the many options and chose BSN. Under different life circumstances I would have chosen a BS in Public Health but I'm very happy to be pursuing my ADN and eventually my BSN!

I'm just saying if you're already getting your ADN (good choice for money btw), don't underestimate the advantages of having multiple upper-level sciences to help you on your MCAT and your didactic years in medical school. This is your journey and you should do what makes you happy. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not supported AT ALL by any of the nurses or NPs I work with when they find out I'm pursuing medical school. Even when I was doing an SMP, the comments and looks were just ugh. I wish I had the same experience some of you had through this process. I'm glad I found this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Afternoon all! Another Nurse here! 4 years ER... Applying now for a post bacc! Excited but doubtful at the same time! Glad to have found this thread and forum!

I'm not supported AT ALL by any of the nurses or NPs I work with when they find out I'm pursuing medical school. Even when I was doing an SMP, the comments and looks were just ugh. I wish I had the same experience some of you had through this process. I'm glad I found this thread.

Yeah. I encountered the same the summer before I started med school. I actually got my travel contract canceled "because I seemed to interact with the doctors more than the nurses" - the managers words. Lol. Never had issues until I let everyone know I would be going to med school.

There is a lot of bitterness between RN/NPs and DO/MDs, mostly covert in nature. Which is unfortunate.

Anywho... I had 6 years of RN exp (3.5 ER, 1 PACU, 1 ICU, 1/2 Cards floor) and 2 years as a tele tech/CNA before that.

Currently an OMS1 at a Virginia DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
This is why I always warn RN-to-Physician hopefuls to keep their journey on the downlow. The hospital is just another workplace. Managers and coworkers won't want to invest time, resources, and limited niceties on someone who's getting ready to jump ship - regardless of whether that ship is another hospital, another floor, or another career.

Your place of employment and your coworkers are not your friends. They are not required to be supportive of your life outside of what is required to do the job you are being paid to do.

This is why I always warn RN-to-Physician hopefuls to keep their journey on the downlow. The hospital is just another workplace. Managers and coworkers won't want to invest time, resources, and limited niceties on someone who's getting ready to jump ship - regardless of whether that ship is another hospital, another floor, or another career.

Your place of employment and your coworkers are not your friends. They are not required to be supportive of your life outside of what is required to do the job you are being paid to do.

Took me awhile to learn this. I don't get the animosity... I'm not turning my back on nursing. I'm just going on a road less traveled.

You guys must work with some crappy people. I'm an open book - literally can't keep things to myself. All my coworkers know I'm in the middle of the application process, and every time I come to work they're all, "calivianya! Any more interview invites?!?! Have you heard back from XX school yet?! You've got to text me as SOON as you know something!" I have been promised by the first school I interviewed at that I'll hear something on Friday, and the list of coworkers I have to text is a mile long, and heaven forbid I leave one out - I'll take some flack for it if I forget someone.

Kinda helps that this school, my first choice school, is all of 15 minutes from my job. I'll be working at my same job for five more years if I get in there. I guess that curbs resentment a little.

It's sad that you guys aren't having the same experiences. My coworkers are my biggest cheerleaders... I think some of them are living vicariously through me. I have a thing going with one who's applying to DNP school this year - half-promised to hire her as my midlevel if we end up working in the same geographical area. I would be very happy working with her for the rest of my career.

I did have some very supportive and excited coworkers. But management saw me as a nuisance i suppose. I had worked in this particular ER for 2 years as staff and then came back as a contractor 3 years later... Got the manager written up for fudging wait times and then i was conveniently let go for budgetary reasons along with "talking with the doctors too much". lol

Anyways... i'm laying low until i reemerge as an Intern there in 3 years (hopefully). :wacky: ...

Reactions: 1 users
Just got to see it's good seeing someone from my alma mater, who worked in my field, doing this. Look at you representing UNCG as a med student. I got all three of my bachelor's at the G... I just wish they had a med school so I could go back for one last degree from them. Congrats! I hope to join you next year. :love:

Oh the Boro. My most recent memory was the summer OChem 1 and 2 that they do in 12 weeks. Had Dr.Banks, he was the man.

Best of luck with applying. This ride is crazy once you hop on!

You guys must work with some crappy people. I'm an open book - literally can't keep things to myself. All my coworkers know I'm in the middle of the application process, and every time I come to work they're all, "calivianya! Any more interview invites?!?! Have you heard back from XX school yet?! You've got to text me as SOON as you know something!" I have been promised by the first school I interviewed at that I'll hear something on Friday, and the list of coworkers I have to text is a mile long, and heaven forbid I leave one out - I'll take some flack for it if I forget someone.

Kinda helps that this school, my first choice school, is all of 15 minutes from my job. I'll be working at my same job for five more years if I get in there. I guess that curbs resentment a little.

It's sad that you guys aren't having the same experiences. My coworkers are my biggest cheerleaders... I think some of them are living vicariously through me. I have a thing going with one who's applying to DNP school this year - half-promised to hire her as my midlevel if we end up working in the same geographical area. I would be very happy working with her for the rest of my career.

My co-workers were awesome. Many are still good friends of mine. It's not crappy to not invest training or effort into someone who's already planning an exit. I understood that I am not entitled to their cheerleading and I didn't judge my managers for being disappointed that I wouldn't stay longer than they had hoped. Afterall, hiring a new nurse (let alone training one for a highly specialized intensive care) is an expensive endeavor. Why should they be happy that they spent thousands of dollars training me only to find out that I am only staying until I get into medical school?

Floor and ICU nursing is currently being inundated by career-hoppers just waiting for the chance to get out as NPs or CRNAs. It falls on the older/career nurses to carry the burden of repeatedly training and shouldering the extra work that results from continuously having perpetually inexperienced coworkers. Their feelings are no different from the attendings in a service you're rotating in as a student but are not really interested in applying to as a resident. It doesn't matter that you don't like it; you dive in and do yout best. You help where you can, and you learn (maybe even feign interest, just to get through the rotation). You most certainly don't talk about wanting to go into another specialty around them, because that's just poor form and really rather rude.

Are we really in any position to call fellow nurses crappy because they have normal reactions?

I can see your point. However, most people don't stay nurses their whole career. I do know that something like 33% of nurses leave their first position within the first two years.

If you know you work in a job where you know people don't stay, it's hard to see why being rude/cold to the people who leave is appropriate. It's a normal part of working as a nurse to watch the turnover happen around you. Feeling resentment for people who manage to get out instead of feeling happy for them does absolutely nothing for the nurse who's feeling resentful or for the person who's leaving... except reinforce the fact that leaving was the right idea to the person who's leaving, and destroy unit morale and make other people who were on the fence about leaving decide to jump ship because the environment's getting hostile.

To be fair, I was at my current position for two years before I decided to go back to school for my med school prereqs and I've made it clear that I'll be there around four more years if I get into the local med school up the road. Perhaps that's why my coworkers have been so supportive.

I agree with what you're saying here. I'm sure your openness about staying has a lot of bearing on people supporting your journey. That and you probably have a rapport with your work family already. That's so good and super important!

I will admit I have a knee-jerk reaction to people calling nurses out for "eating their young" or variations thereof. I have listened to wayyyy too many new nurses claim "bullying" because their hands aren't being held or because other nurses are indifferent to their dream of being on another unit/profession. These are usually the very same nurses who act like they're so much better or smarter than their work team because they're going into NP/CRNA/whatever school. Indifference isn't rudeness. It really frustrates me that it's so easy to dismiss career nurses as bitter, resentful bullies. Just because they're indifferent about our journey out of nursing (or, more commonly, out of the floor and into a higher acuity area/hospital) does not mean they resent us.

Hello my fellow nurses! I wanted to send a little bit of hope your way. I've been a CTICU nurse for almost six years now. I started taking my pre-requisites for medical school in August 2014. For the past three years, I've juggled working as a nurse, a research intern, a TA, participating in numerous volunteer activities, and shadowing multiple physicians.

It wasn't easy. Looking back, it was the hardest years of my life. There were a few times when I felt like giving up. These moments did not last long because I knew I wouldn't be satisfied if I settled for anything less. I kept pushing through.

To keep this short, this summer I scored lower on my MCAT than expected. To say I was devastated is an understatement. But, I did not give up. I applied to 33 DO schools this summer and began studying to retake my MCAT.

Without a retake, I've had two interviews this cycle. Last week, I was accepted to an amazing school. When I read that acceptance email, EVERYTHING was worth it. All the struggles, stress, and rejections over the past three years disappeared.

Don't give up. Keep persevering. It's a long, hard journey that requires a lot of discipline and strength. I promise that if you keep working hard, your dreams will come true like mine. I'm going to be a doctor! I wish the best of luck to you all! Feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 4 users
Hello my fellow nurses! I wanted to send a little bit of hope your way. I've been a CTICU nurse for almost six years now. I started taking my pre-requisites for medical school in August 2014. For the past three years, I've juggled working as a nurse, a research intern, a TA, participating in numerous volunteer activities, and shadowing multiple physicians.

It wasn't easy. Looking back, it was the hardest years of my life. There were a few times when I felt like giving up. These moments did not last long because I knew I wouldn't be satisfied if I settled for anything less. I kept pushing through.

To keep this short, this summer I scored lower on my MCAT than expected. To say I was devastated is an understatement. But, I did not give up. I applied to 33 DO schools this summer and began studying to retake my MCAT.

Without a retake, I've had two interviews this cycle. Last week, I was accepted to an amazing school. When I read that acceptance email, EVERYTHING was worth it. All the struggles, stress, and rejections over the past three years disappeared.

Don't give up. Keep persevering. It's a long, hard journey that requires a lot of discipline and strength. I promise that if you keep working hard, your dreams will come true like mine. I'm going to be a doctor! I wish the best of luck to you all! Feel free to PM me.

Congratz. Welcome to the club, prepare for one hell of a ride. lol

Yessss, congratulations! You're gonna have so much fun! Medical school is a different beast but in the time management perspective, it's soooo much easier than juggling the three-to-seven responsibilities we had to balance during premed-while-working years. I get so happy when I see nurses get accepted. :D Welcome to the madness!

Started down this path in fall 2014 as a new nurse in the ICU who was beginning to understand the desire for a medical education. Fast forward three years of nursing, 41 credits, hundreds of volunteer and research hours, an MCAT, an application, and an interview.... and I have an MD acceptance! It's been quite a journey and idk what I would've done without my spouse and family support. I just wanted to share a word of encouragement to let all the other aspiring RN2MDs on here know that it's a long road but it's doable if it's what you want. I have 5 other interview invites coming up but will likely only attend two, have two rejections, and am still waiting to hear from 22 other schools I applied to. And I didn't have a wonderful BSN GPA either- I just performed well as a postbacc and on the MCAT. Keep plugging every day, ENJOY THE PROCESS, and believe in yourself. Use your frame of reference of nursing/adult life as a strength- in prereqs, for the MCAT, and during apps/interviews. Most important of all, keep encouraging eachother!!!

Reactions: 8 users

People at my job were even appalled that the bachelors degree I was working on wasn't a BSN. Oh well now I'm a first year DO student.

The old saying "nurses eat their young" should be changed to "nurses eat their young and people who are trying to better themselves" ... ha. I've known many a floor nurse to talk down on RNs who are seeking their MSN, NP, or PhD - not just us, the weird ones, who go the PA or MD/DO road. :p

Reactions: 2 users
NickMT-RN, you said it best!! I cannot count how many times I've been the subject of nastiness from other nurses. Group-texting nastiness, help...wheres the vomit emoji...tech's that prefer to sit and shop online than help with a sepsis patient that just came off of EMS with their depends full of stool, lied about to management so the other nurse could look superior (he should have been boarded for other reasons but was "in" with the educator), had leads, venti mask and blood pressure cup thrown at me in front of a patient and their family members by a tech, it doesn't end. Nurse's will pour gasoline on another nurse who even mentions the notion of improving themselves, hold a lit match over them and video it on their phone, preparing to group-share it with their "besties", screaming, "You think they're so smart...now look at you!!!" The Joker from the Batman doesn't scare me as much as a bitter nurse.

NickMT-RN, you said it best!! I cannot count how many times I've been the subject of nastiness from other nurses. Group-texting nastiness, help...wheres the vomit emoji...tech's that prefer to sit and shop online than help with a sepsis patient that just came off of EMS with their depends full of stool, lied about to management so the other nurse could look superior (he should have been boarded for other reasons but was "in" with the educator), had leads, venti mask and blood pressure cup thrown at me in front of a patient and their family members by a tech, it doesn't end. Nurse's will pour gasoline on another nurse who even mentions the notion of improving themselves, hold a lit match over them and video it on their phone, preparing to group-share it with their "besties", screaming, "You think they're so smart...now look at you!!!" The Joker from the Batman doesn't scare me as much as a bitter nurse.

Indeed.

I hope to go back to where i was an ER/PACU nurse for many years for my residency. Not to show any sort of "look at me now" crap, but to get a good GME. But i am truly scared of a few RNs, mostly management, who would attempt to dig up dirt on me if i butted heads with them over patient care. Which i would in a heartbeat if it were a safety issue.

The turnover rate for managers in that ER is high. So hopefully a good number of the negative people will be gone in 2 1/2 years.

Started down this path in fall 2014 as a new nurse in the ICU who was beginning to understand the desire for a medical education. Fast forward three years of nursing, 41 credits, hundreds of volunteer and research hours, an MCAT, an application, and an interview.... and I have an MD acceptance! It's been quite a journey and idk what I would've done without my spouse and family support. I just wanted to share a word of encouragement to let all the other aspiring RN2MDs on here know that it's a long road but it's doable if it's what you want. I have 5 other interview invites coming up but will likely only attend two, have two rejections, and am still waiting to hear from 22 other schools I applied to. And I didn't have a wonderful BSN GPA either- I just performed well as a postbacc and on the MCAT. Keep plugging every day, ENJOY THE PROCESS, and believe in yourself. Use your frame of reference of nursing/adult life as a strength- in prereqs, for the MCAT, and during apps/interviews. Most important of all, keep encouraging eachother!!!

Congrats ICUBlue! I was wondering how many nurses on SDN were in this app cycle with me. You, calivianya, and sounds like a couple others. What part of the country are you in/heading to? How have you're interviews been in terms of being an RN?
Acceptance continues to be elusive for me..... fingers crossed, tho.

Just checking in to say hi and offer support to everyone.

~6yrs ICU, ADN/BSN, just finished premed and applying this cycle.

The best part of this process for me is that if I have to retake an MCAT or take a year off to do more volunteering I can continue working a supportive job and saving money. I hope to be accepted, of course, but a safety net is a great feeling right now!

Hi guys, This is my first post, which is very fitting I'd say because I'm going to be making the official transition from FNP major to post-bacc pre-med next semester!

I am 28 yo, a Korean immigrant, a GI/ pre/post-op RN in an outpatient surgery center with 5 years of nursing experience, currently finishing 3rd semester of a FNP program. My undergrad GPA is 3.53 but that's without transfer statistics, if included it's 3.56 I think..

I told my academic advisor, who happens to be the program director last week that I will be withdrawing from the program. (and I was very surprised that she made me feel really bad. I am afraid to tell anyone at the department that I am leaving the program now...!) I have been doing very well in the program, top of the class, but I constantly felt like I wanted more. I yearned for more knowledge and I was looking up more things online myself than what was presented to me (not saying that the classwork is not difficult, because it is ALOT.. and rigorous!) I desire the most in-depth knowledge about what I was learning and I felt like I needed more.

When I went to the undergrad nursing program with no nursing/medical knowledge, I didn't realize that I DIDN'T know anything. So when I graduated and started practicing, I was fearless. I mean, I've obtained a 4-year nursing degree, right? But When I entered the FNP program, I realized that I didn't know anything despite the years of practicing because I now know what I don't know. Then I realized in the school that there is just so much to learn and I need to dig DEEPER.

I'm gonna have to take all my hard science pre-reqs from the beginning (from GEN CHEM and all) but I'm gonna go for it. It will be a long road, but I am doing it because I don't want to say "what if" looking back in 10 years.

I am so nervous about this next step in my career and life because I love nursing so much. I love everything about it. The connection I have with patients, the type of environment I work in, and who I work with... But I'm also hopeful about my future because I love studying, and being able to be competent enough to touch patients' lives with depths of knowledge is so beautiful.

Hi guys, This is my first post, which is very fitting I'd say because I'm going to be making the official transition from FNP major to post-bacc pre-med next semester!

I am 28 yo, a Korean immigrant, a GI/ pre/post-op RN in an outpatient surgery center with 5 years of nursing experience, currently finishing 3rd semester of a FNP program. My undergrad GPA is 3.53 but that's without transfer statistics, if included it's 3.56 I think..

I told my academic advisor, who happens to be the program director last week that I will be withdrawing from the program. (and I was very surprised that she made me feel really bad. I am afraid to tell anyone at the department that I am leaving the program now...!) I have been doing very well in the program, top of the class, but I constantly felt like I wanted more. I yearned for more knowledge and I was looking up more things online myself than what was presented to me (not saying that the classwork is not difficult, because it is ALOT.. and rigorous!) I desire the most in-depth knowledge about what I was learning and I felt like I needed more.

When I went to the undergrad nursing program with no nursing/medical knowledge, I didn't realize that I DIDN'T know anything. So when I graduated and started practicing, I was fearless. I mean, I've obtained a 4-year nursing degree, right? But When I entered the FNP program, I realized that I didn't know anything despite the years of practicing because I now know what I don't know. Then I realized in the school that there is just so much to learn and I need to dig DEEPER.

I'm gonna have to take all my hard science pre-reqs from the beginning (from GEN CHEM and all) but I'm gonna go for it. It will be a long road, but I am doing it because I don't want to say "what if" looking back in 10 years.

I am so nervous about this next step in my career and life because I love nursing so much. I love everything about it. The connection I have with patients, the type of environment I work in, and who I work with... But I'm also hopeful about my future because I love studying, and being able to be competent enough to touch patients' lives with depths of knowledge is so beautiful.

Well, you're in the right forum!

The fact that you have such a good GPA should get you far. Just nail your prereqs and the MCAT and youre good.

It's a long road, but im told it's worth it when you make it MS3 or so.

Well, you're in the right forum!

The fact that you have such a good GPA should get you far. Just nail your prereqs and the MCAT and youre good.

It's a long road, but im told it's worth it when you make it MS3 or so.

Thanks, @NickMT-RN. I have always loved science, so I'm actually looking forward to this experience... (lol nerd alert) I was told that I don't need calculus for one of the pre-reqs for many medschools.

I wonder what courses you guys are taking?

I was just going to take basic requirements (i.e., chem I &II, orgo, inorganic, bio I&II, biochem, physics I&II) + Calculus and study for MCAT. what are u guys doing?

I guess I'll post too!
I'm 23 years old and I'm a NICU/PICU nurse. I thought about taking classes for medical school in undergrad, but unfortunately I let my insecurities get the best of me. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to pass chem/ochem/physics so I went nursing instead. Although I wish I had gone straight to med school time-wise, I don't think I would change anything. I really feel like I needed the time after graduation to grow up a little bit. I thought I would be happy with pursuing a CRNA/NP degree, but I'm right back to wanting to go into medicine. I just finished Chem I and received an A in the class. I've got my confidence back and I'm not going to let anything else stop me. I've worked in adult ICU and NICU/PIC, and I've really fallen in love with the pediatric population. I don't necessarily think I'd go into neonatology, but I'm interested in pediatric genetics, genetics, and oncology. But as we all know from nursing school, what you think you want to do and what you actually end up doing can be two completely different areas.

I've told a few people of my plans, and I've gotten a 50/50 response. Some are supportive some give me this ---> :wtf:. Working full time nights and going to school has had it's challenges but I know the sacrifices I make now will pay off in the end. I'm worried about spring semester though because I'll have to take orgo 1 and physics 1 with classes 3 days a week all day, so I'm not sure how I'm going to work that around my schedule without going to part time.

@cherubb3 congratulations!!! You give me hope that it can be done. I wish all the best to you and hope that you get acceptances!

Let's definitely keep this thread going with our progress and frustrations. It'll be nice to have an outlet with other people who are going through the same process.

Do you go to a community college or uni?

Thanks, @NickMT-RN. I have always loved science, so I'm actually looking forward to this experience... (lol nerd alert) I was told that I don't need calculus for one of the pre-reqs for many medschools.

I wonder what courses you guys are taking?

I was just going to take basic requirements (i.e., chem I &II, orgo, inorganic, bio I&II, biochem, physics I&II) + Calculus and study for MCAT. what are u guys doing?

Sorry, I didn't see this when you posted it.

What classes did i take? Or am i taking in med school now? The ones you listed are the standard prereqs. Biochem and Calc are not always needed but you won't be able to apply everywhere without them. I would take a really good Cell Biology over a Biochem, or both.

I took the minimum as far as prereqs go and I've had a rough time with the biochem and intricacies of cell biology.

If you were asking about med school class. I think I have 27 semester hours this fall. Biomedical foundations of medicine, IMSK (muscle, bones, gross anatomy), CVRH (heart, lungs, blood, more anatomy), OMM 101, Patient Centered Medicine 101, and Medical Ethics.

Do you go to a community college or uni?

If you are going to DO, it probably doesn't mater. MD schools are bit more snooty. But still, good grades are what counts. I did CC and capped it off with OChem and Physics at a state univ.

Count me in the "Accepted to medical school" RN2DO column. ;)

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone! I've found my people.

I'm an ER nurse in my mid-late 20s starting my pre-med journey. I already have my BSN plus a BA in the humanities. Looking to go into EM, but I know that things can change. I need to finish my pre-reqs, take the MCAT, and hopefully apply in 2019. It's been several (read: 5+) years of indecisiveness on my part, but I finally feel ready to take the leap. I'm so excited to learn more about science and medicine. I think I'm a solid, but not spectacular applicant. Hoping to raise my chances with a good MCAT--easier said than done!

Anyone else planning on applying in 2019?

I had a good 10 years of indecisiveness. So you are good.:rofl:

Anywho, welcome to the club. Best of luck with the MCAT. It is a serious pain, but doable. I got in with a 501, an okay GPA, and 8 years of clinical experience.

You can do it.

Hi everyone! I've found my people.

I'm an ER nurse in my mid-late 20s starting my pre-med journey. I already have my BSN plus a BA in the humanities. Looking to go into EM, but I know that things can change. I need to finish my pre-reqs, take the MCAT, and hopefully apply in 2019. It's been several (read: 5+) years of indecisiveness on my part, but I finally feel ready to take the leap. I'm so excited to learn more about science and medicine. I think I'm a solid, but not spectacular applicant. Hoping to raise my chances with a good MCAT--easier said than done!

Anyone else planning on applying in 2019?
Goodluck, it will be worth it!!!! I wasnt a RN (Nurse aide for 9 years) but I know how you feel. I honestly think that once you begin you will be far ahead of the game. All of the RNs and PTs in my class are acing everything. Cant wait for a future update :)

You guys... you can do it, because I just did. Got my first acceptance (DO) today!

For all of you still working out your path, I highly recommend taking time for research and community service. I didn't, because I was working full time, taking a full time course load, and doing clinical volunteering.

One of my MD interviews didn't go so hot because of the lack of research, the other grilled me on the lack of community service. I thought the four years of high acuity patient care I had done would be good for something, but it didn't matter at all to these schools. I feel very lucky that I found a school that let me in anyway. VERY lucky.

So my advice to you is: don't think your clinical experience, which is WAY better than almost any other premed is going to have, is going to carry you. It's not. You've still got to play the research game and the community service game, too. I think I would have been way more successful this cycle if I'd had those two things... but I'm not complaining, because I got into somewhere I'm excited to go.

If you can learn from my mistakes, please do. I want you all to be successful. :)

I love, love, looooveee all these acceptances, guys!

I am not a nurse, but would love advice from RNs who decided to pursue medicine.. I am still finishing up my undergraduate degree but closer to finishing nursing pre-requisites than pre-med classes. Nursing was my original plan, now I’m leaning towards medicine, but...I’m 25 and with little work experience, I’m concerned about delaying graduation/career start any further to try for med school when I’m unsure I’d have the grades or experience to get in. Would it be wise to do an accelerated nursing program, work in the field for a bit and then decide whether to pursue medicine?

You're coming up on the ABSN program deadlines. When I was in this position 8 years ago, I applied to a bunch of ABSN programs at the last minute.

You really just have to draw it all out on your white board or whatever and figure out what works for you. If you want to be a doctor, it is not "wise" to become a nurse first. Not by any means. If you want to become a nurse, go for it--it's a wonderful job!

I highly recommend job shadowing both RNs and physicians (and NPs, if you're thinking of that), taking some tours of programs and schools, and talking to current students. That really helped me figure things out.

I am not a nurse, but would love advice from RNs who decided to pursue medicine.. I am still finishing up my undergraduate degree but closer to finishing nursing pre-requisites than pre-med classes. Nursing was my original plan, now I’m leaning towards medicine, but...I’m 25 and with little work experience, I’m concerned about delaying graduation/career start any further to try for med school when I’m unsure I’d have the grades or experience to get in. Would it be wise to do an accelerated nursing program, work in the field for a bit and then decide whether to pursue medicine?

I didn't have much fulfillment as a nurse because i wanted to be a physician. I would suggest you finish your Pre-meds and take the MCAT and then go from there.

Congrats to all you accepted nurses on this thread. It is great to hear from so many of you on the RN to MD path. I myself have been accepted this cycle. I have been a nurse for about 5 years now in ICU. I did a DIY postbac; most of my classes were taken at a four year college and one class (Physics II ) was taken at a community college. I took the MCAT twice, a low score prevented me from applying last year. All in all, I have had a successful cycle. I got into my first choice school and few more. I have been in the privileged position of turning down several interviews. Not to brag but to give you hope if you have to take the MCAT more than once.

I am writing especially to encourage those of you starting out. If this is truly what you desire, then go for it, don't give up. It is a long road especially for many of us juggling work, family and other responsibilities but you'll get there. The truth is that on the trail you have an edge with your experience in healthcare, you just have to learn how to use it to you advantage. Simply put, extensive clinical exposure is desirable and you have that as a nurse.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! New to this thread, but I've been browsing SDN for many years. I'm 30; I was a traditional pre-med biology major, applied in 2009 and 2011 with no success (my first undergrad GPA was 3.4ish and my MCAT on the old test was 28). Since the second time I applied, I've worked for 4 years in research (with 4 publications, including a first author), finished a BSN, and had two kids. I liked research but didn't want to go the PhD route, so I went into nursing because I knew I could do an accelerated program and get into a clinical career that would allow me free time with my kids while they're little. So, now I am a new grad working on a tele unit, and it's fine but I know it isn't a long-term situation. I like patient care and the hospital environment, but not the lack of autonomy or the narrow focus. Granted, I'm a new grad, but I know there is so much I don't know about my patients and I hate it. Every time I communicate with a physician, I wish I were on the other end. I also have several friends who are physicians now, and I definitely feel a lot of - not jealousy exactly, more like wistfulness - when I get updates on their lives.

I tell people I plan to move into ICU nursing and then go back for my DNP in a few years, but as I've started looking into that, I just feel like it won't give me the depth of knowledge or autonomy I want. So now I'm seriously considering med school again. I'm torn between wanting to maximize my potential and pursue my dreams versus wanting to settle down and live more comfortably after spending my 20s with either my husband or myself as a student. Sacrifices will be made either way, and my husband will support me if I do decide to apply to med school. I am leaning toward it, but not sure.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what the reapplication process would involve. I know I'd need to retake the MCAT (and I'd probably do a Kaplan course or something) but I don't even know where to start on other prereq stuff. Not sure if I'd need to retake classes I did well in but that were 10 years ago, take some new upper level science classes, or what. Any thoughts?

Hi! New to this thread, but I've been browsing SDN for many years. I'm 30; I was a traditional pre-med biology major, applied in 2009 and 2011 with no success (my first undergrad GPA was 3.4ish and my MCAT on the old test was 28). Since the second time I applied, I've worked for 4 years in research (with 4 publications, including a first author), finished a BSN, and had two kids. I liked research but didn't want to go the PhD route, so I went into nursing because I knew I could do an accelerated program and get into a clinical career that would allow me free time with my kids while they're little. So, now I am a new grad working on a tele unit, and it's fine but I know it isn't a long-term situation. I like patient care and the hospital environment, but not the lack of autonomy or the narrow focus. Granted, I'm a new grad, but I know there is so much I don't know about my patients and I hate it. Every time I communicate with a physician, I wish I were on the other end. I also have several friends who are physicians now, and I definitely feel a lot of - not jealousy exactly, more like wistfulness - when I get updates on their lives.

I tell people I plan to move into ICU nursing and then go back for my DNP in a few years, but as I've started looking into that, I just feel like it won't give me the depth of knowledge or autonomy I want. So now I'm seriously considering med school again. I'm torn between wanting to maximize my potential and pursue my dreams versus wanting to settle down and live more comfortably after spending my 20s with either my husband or myself as a student. Sacrifices will be made either way, and my husband will support me if I do decide to apply to med school. I am leaning toward it, but not sure.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what the reapplication process would involve. I know I'd need to retake the MCAT (and I'd probably do a Kaplan course or something) but I don't even know where to start on other prereq stuff. Not sure if I'd need to retake classes I did well in but that were 10 years ago, take some new upper level science classes, or what. Any thoughts?

I definitely empathize with you as we have many similar characteristics. I just wanted to reply to encourage you that it is totally possible, esp if you are willing to be flexible about where you end up.

I took Biochemistry and Cell/Molec Bio to "refresh" my sciences prior to taking MCAT, but if you have taken all the prerequisites there is no need to retake them and spend $$ in them. Plenty of "Nontrads" have just gotten Berkeley review (better than Kaplan) and spent ~6 mos on it and done great on the new MCAT.

One thing that helped me was going to see a premed adviser at the local uni (they are very open during the summer) and also going to the local medical school and chatting about my transcripts and potential candidacy (even though I didn't want to go there, it was convenient and low stress)

One thing I also did was take a practice MCAT (don't waste one of the AAMC ones, but Altius has a half length diagnostic, for example) and see where your deficits are.

Feel free to pm me any time!