RN to MD Progress/Support Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! New to this thread, but I've been browsing SDN for many years. I'm 30; I was a traditional pre-med biology major, applied in 2009 and 2011 with no success (my first undergrad GPA was 3.4ish and my MCAT on the old test was 28). Since the second time I applied, I've worked for 4 years in research (with 4 publications, including a first author), finished a BSN, and had two kids. I liked research but didn't want to go the PhD route, so I went into nursing because I knew I could do an accelerated program and get into a clinical career that would allow me free time with my kids while they're little. So, now I am a new grad working on a tele unit, and it's fine but I know it isn't a long-term situation. I like patient care and the hospital environment, but not the lack of autonomy or the narrow focus. Granted, I'm a new grad, but I know there is so much I don't know about my patients and I hate it. Every time I communicate with a physician, I wish I were on the other end. I also have several friends who are physicians now, and I definitely feel a lot of - not jealousy exactly, more like wistfulness - when I get updates on their lives.

I tell people I plan to move into ICU nursing and then go back for my DNP in a few years, but as I've started looking into that, I just feel like it won't give me the depth of knowledge or autonomy I want. So now I'm seriously considering med school again. I'm torn between wanting to maximize my potential and pursue my dreams versus wanting to settle down and live more comfortably after spending my 20s with either my husband or myself as a student. Sacrifices will be made either way, and my husband will support me if I do decide to apply to med school. I am leaning toward it, but not sure.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what the reapplication process would involve. I know I'd need to retake the MCAT (and I'd probably do a Kaplan course or something) but I don't even know where to start on other prereq stuff. Not sure if I'd need to retake classes I did well in but that were 10 years ago, take some new upper level science classes, or what. Any thoughts?

I had similar thoughts on the DNP and PhD programs.

If it's depth you want, med school will give it to you... Good Lord is there depth. Lol.

You might have to retake some of your sciences. A lot of med school are snobby in reference to how old those classes can be. This hurts non-traditionals mostly. But your GPA is good. If you get a 502-508 range on your MCAT you should be able to get in somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Just wanted to say I am AMAZED in seeing all these nurses getting acceptances to medical school! I applaud your decision and grit to steer this difficult course- I know too well what you all have gone through. As a 4th year medical student currently interviewing for an anesthesiology residency, I can tell you IT HAS ALL BEEN WORTH IT! Welcome to medicine, my friends. :)

Reactions: 12 users
Hello guys! I enjoyed reading some of these posts. It inspired me to give a little update on my current situation. I find this blog VERY helpful since I don't know a nursing student or a nurse who is pursuing the medical school route.
So I basically just finished my last semester of my second degree in nursing. I am eligible to take the NCLEX after Jan. 31st.
I did very well on the HESI exit exams, although many say that this may not be a predictor of passing the NCLEX. On another note, I start Organic Chemistry on January 17th, and earlier today I sat down to set a schedule to begin studying for the MCAT. I feel a bit down because I will be finishing my second degree with a 3.49. I have not computed my science GPA but it looks like this: Bio I & II: C, English Comp.: A, Microbiology:A- (if this counts), Physics I: A- Physics II: A, Chem I & II: A.
I have taken psychology courses along with humanities in which I have earned an A in. I have shadowing and research experiences, along with volunteering experiences as an EMT, American Red Cross, and at a surgical center. I still work as a supervisor at a hospital and as a medical assistant/nursing student/pre-med student?? at a surgical center. I have already been offered jobs at hospitals where I have done my clinical rotations in as a nursing student and although this makes me happy...I still need the advice of those who are following the medical school route. Should I dive in and take the MCAT this May, right after finishing Orgo I? I find studying for the NCLEX so much easier than the MCAT....:sorry:
Any encouragement, advice, or realistic comment would be nice.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Started down this path in fall 2014 as a new nurse in the ICU who was beginning to understand the desire for a medical education. Fast forward three years of nursing, 41 credits, hundreds of volunteer and research hours, an MCAT, an application, and an interview.... and I have an MD acceptance! It's been quite a journey and idk what I would've done without my spouse and family support. I just wanted to share a word of encouragement to let all the other aspiring RN2MDs on here know that it's a long road but it's doable if it's what you want. I have 5 other interview invites coming up but will likely only attend two, have two rejections, and am still waiting to hear from 22 other schools I applied to. And I didn't have a wonderful BSN GPA either- I just performed well as a postbacc and on the MCAT. Keep plugging every day, ENJOY THE PROCESS, and believe in yourself. Use your frame of reference of nursing/adult life as a strength- in prereqs, for the MCAT, and during apps/interviews. Most important of all, keep encouraging eachother!!!
Congratulations!! This is very encouraging and truly inspiring. Keep us posted!!

Hello guys! I enjoyed reading some of these posts. It inspired me to give a little update on my current situation. I find this blog VERY helpful since I don't know a nursing student or a nurse who is pursuing the medical school route.
So I basically just finished my last semester of my second degree in nursing. I am eligible to take the NCLEX after Jan. 31st.
I did very well on the HESI exit exams, although many say that this may not be a predictor of passing the NCLEX. On another note, I start Organic Chemistry on January 17th, and earlier today I sat down to set a schedule to begin studying for the MCAT. I feel a bit down because I will be finishing my second degree with a 3.49. I have not computed my science GPA but it looks like this: Bio I & II: C, English Comp.: A, Microbiology:A- (if this counts), Physics I: A- Physics II: A, Chem I & II: A.
I have taken psychology courses along with humanities in which I have earned an A in. I have shadowing and research experiences, along with volunteering experiences as an EMT, American Red Cross, and at a surgical center. I still work as a supervisor at a hospital and as a medical assistant/nursing student/pre-med student?? at a surgical center. I have already been offered jobs at hospitals where I have done my clinical rotations in as a nursing student and although this makes me happy...I still need the advice of those who are following the medical school route. Should I dive in and take the MCAT this May, right after finishing Orgo I? I find studying for the NCLEX so much easier than the MCAT....:sorry:

I think i would start doing MCAT review after Organic. Take your NCLEX and then focus on getting into med school. And yes, I would happily study for the NCLEX 10 times over rather than study for the MCAT again, ha.

Don't feel down either. A 3.49 is a fine GPA with your background and ECs.

Reactions: 1 user

What about your other pre-reqs? When do you plan on applying? If you haven't been in nursing long (practicing as an RN), how will you explain in your essays about the switch? Do practice tests in the spring and if you're scoring above what you want on the real thing, then take it in May if you want. I don't see the benefit of taking it so early unless you plan on applying next summer.

What about your other pre-reqs? When do you plan on applying? If you haven't been in nursing long (practicing as an RN), how will you explain in your essays about the switch? Do practice tests in the spring and if you're scoring above what you want on the real thing, then take it in May if you want. I don't see the benefit of taking it so early unless you plan on applying next summer.
hello!
Thank you for your feedback. Yes, I aim to apply next summer. Most applications open up in early June. I earned my first degree in Public Health and my second degree is in nursing. I've always wanted to be a doctor but in my junior year as an undergrad. I hit rock bottom. I was told that my grades weren't good enough for medical school as an undegraduate. I even told myself that I wasn't good enough to take the MCAT. When that happened, I thought of taking a hiatus which wasn't easy as I thought that maybe one day, I would totally convince myself of not being good enough for medical school. As a result, I decided to do something that was more centered to patient care. Nursing was then my choice. However, upon completing my second degree I realized while analyzing many patient care reports, that I wanted to know more than a mere nursing diagnosis. I wanted to deeply know how each disease was affecting the individual. From a micro-level to a MACRO-level and then I wanted to find out how to treat each condition. Overall, my appreciation towards medicine augmented through the interaction of patients who I cared for as a nursing student in the CVICU, MSICU, and even peds unit! I truly wanted to know more than I was told while being mentored as a student....I am even guilty of sitting down and researching most diseases while asking questions to doctors and residents. I do not regret going into nursing because it has taught me to value patient-care interaction. Today, I believe that in the real world, behind a good doctor exist good nurses. Nurses are hardworking individuals who in my opinion do not get the credit they deserve. However, I find myself wanting more. This is exactly what drove me to shadow doctors and take my science courses during my summer breaks along with working at two jobs. At this point, I am taking a leap of faith. Even if I am still doubtful.

I think it would be best to take the MCAT after graduating and passing the NCLEX. Do you plan on using your nursing degree?

Yes, I do. I have been asked to work as a nurse at the surgical center I currently work at. I find the job manageable along with the schedules. The nurses, surgeons, and anesthesiologists are aware of my ultimate goal and are very supportive. I am scheduled to take the NCLEX after January.

Completed interview 4 yesterday, with 2 more this month.

Nurses typically know about overcoming obstacles, I find. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
University of Florida!

No love from them so far, though.

That was mine too :( I went there for undergrad. Most passionate Gator you will ever meet. Love the school. Love the town. But it didn’t work out for medical school. I’m at Nova now, but hope to make my way back there for residency and/or practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting my second semester of my first year of med school. RN of 7 years.

I don't mind answering any questions or giving thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

Starting my second semester of my first year of med school. RN of 7 years.

I don't mind answering any questions or giving thoughts.

@FCMike11 Congratulations on making it to your second semester. I'm feeling a bit stressed out as I am taking organic chemistry, started my applications on AACOMAS & AAMC, and am studying for the NCLEX (I believe I will be able to take the test in March). Since I finished school in December for my second degree in nursing all I've been doing is MCAT studying. Some days I feel like I'm on the right track while other days I feel like I'm slacking. I feel as though studying for the MCAT (which I will be taking in June) deserves all of my attention. However, this is a bit unrealistic because my Life doesn't only revolve on this major exam. I still have two jobs and my eagerness to earn my RN license. I've been offered a per diem job as a nurse at my second job and this will help me financially but how would you manage everything I'm doing? Some times I feel like giving up but I know I wouldn't be content. Any thoughts?

@FCMike11 Congratulations on making it to your second semester. I'm feeling a bit stressed out as I am taking organic chemistry, started my applications on AACOMAS & AAMC, and am studying for the NCLEX (I believe I will be able to take the test in March). Since I finished school in December for my second degree in nursing all I've been doing is MCAT studying. Some days I feel like I'm on the right track while other days I feel like I'm slacking. I feel as though studying for the MCAT (which I will be taking in June) deserves all of my attention. However, this is a bit unrealistic because my Life doesn't only revolve on this major exam. I still have two jobs and my eagerness to earn my RN license. I've been offered a per diem job as a nurse at my second job and this will help me financially but how would you manage everything I'm doing? Some times I feel like giving up but I know I wouldn't be content. Any thoughts?
Sent you a PM.

Big advice is not to rush it. Get the grades and MCAT score you need to succeed. Thoughts on delaying a year? The MCAT is a BEAST. You will be found out if you don't do the work. I started med school in my late 20s. I am two years off of 30. There is no rush. PM me. Happy to talk more.

Also like, as a response to all. Be ready to give it all up. Lots of sacrifices. In so many ways I did not realize. I just have time for school and my children right now. The rest. Family, relationships, everything. Can suffer. Would require an EXTREMELY supportive spouse who understands what your life will be like. I've seen several marriages and relationships split up already.

Nontrad, been an RN for 5 years with 10-11K hours of experience in med surg and psych. Just accepted to my dream school yesterday.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
This thread has been so helpful! I’m in my first semester in an accelerated ADN program and realizing that I would like to pursue medicine. There are so many decisions to make and classes to take! It’s helpful to see others going through the same.

Former ICU, ER, Flight RN here in a Caribbean med school with less than 10 weeks left of basic sciences. Just checking in to say hi. I'll parrot the statement of keeping your ambitions, goals and dream under wraps.

Reactions: 1 users
Former ICU, ER, Flight RN here in a Caribbean med school with less than 10 weeks left of basic sciences. Just checking in to say hi. I'll parrot the statement of keeping your ambitions, goals and dream under wraps.

Nobody at my workplace besides my manager and one of the hospitalists, both of whom wrote me letters of recommendation, even know that I applied to medical school, much less that I was accepted. I'm keeping it on the down low until I give my 30 day notice. The knives will definitely come out as soon as any of my coworkers get word that I am crossing over to the dark side.

Man, everyone I work with is on my team, and celebrates each step in the process with me!

They see it as vindication of their own abilities, as many of them trained me.

Nobody at my workplace besides my manager and one of the hospitalists, both of whom wrote me letters of recommendation, even know that I applied to medical school, much less that I was accepted. I'm keeping it on the down low until I give my 30 day notice. The knives will definitely come out as soon as any of my coworkers get word that I am crossing over to the dark side.

Man, everyone I work with is on my team, and celebrates each step in the process with me!

They see it as vindication of their own abilities, as many of them trained me.

different places have drastically different cultures. I got into med school when i was working at Duke, they were all super happy, still keep in touch. Took a contract at a local hospital near my house that i was well known at, 2 years staff, man... the management and a little group of charge nurses were mean as crap to me.

Hello Everyone!

What a helpful thread. Thank you for all of your contributions. In January of this year, I decided it is time to finally go to medical school. I am applying for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Background:
- Married with two children under age 5. Supportive spouse (stressed, but supportive).
- Bachelors in social welfare in 2009, ABSN in 2013, DNP-CNM 2016
- Currently functioning as a women's health ARNP [I LOVE MY JOB!]
- I became VERY unsatisfied halfway through my CNM training - terrible faculty in my track in addition to turf war between Ob/Gyns and midwives :dead:. It is total garbage that CNMs are considered less than - they are the experts of NORMAL. Anyway, I decided to not do full-scope midwifery upon graduation.
- My only colleague in my clinic is a physician. Previously, I worked with MD/DOs in reproductive endocrinology. Lovely group.
- One of the REIs will be writing me a letter. My physician colleague and clinic manager are also writing letters.
- I am also the type to always want to know more. I am over consulting the experts - I want to be the expert!
- Naturally, I will be pursing Ob/Gyn. I already have training/shadowing in first-assist/perineal tear repair/delivery from midwifery training + REI procedures as a clinician.

STATS:
cGPA for first bachelors = 3.3 (>3.75 in-major)
cSGPA = 3.88
ABSN GPA = 3.7 [honors]
DNP GPA = 3.7 [honors]

PLAN:
1. Take Biochem/Organic Chem I and Physics spring quarter 2018.
2. Continue with 1-2 classes in summer if I do well.
3. MCAT the day after spring finals in June 2018.
4. Receive a LOR from the Biochem/Organic Chem professor who I also took General Chem 1 with in 2011 while doing nursing pre-reqs.
5. Apply to no more than five schools within 2 hours of our home for the 2018-2019 cycle. My husband cannot move jobs, due to pension status.

QUESTIONS:
1. As long as I do not tank the MCAT, Organic Chem/Biochem and Physics, I believe I should be okay ... right? HAHA!

2. My extracurriculars include a POC nursing organization (mentor and committee member), tumor board participant x2 at work, guest lecturer at a local university in the DNP program, doula + doula program leader, mentor for an after school pregnancy prevention organization (AmeriCorps affiliate) plus more --- think that's enough?

3. Although I have over 300 hours of shadowing my physician colleague (I was in training x4 months), I am wondering if I need to shadow an Ob/Gyn again with my background [since I know I want to do Ob/Gyn and this is referenced in my essays]. Thoughts?

Thoughts overall?!

Hello Everyone!

What a helpful thread. Thank you for all of your contributions. In January of this year, I decided it is time to finally go to medical school. I am applying for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Background:
- Married with two children under age 5. Supportive spouse (stressed, but supportive).
- Bachelors in social welfare in 2009, ABSN in 2013, DNP-CNM 2016
- Currently functioning as a women's health ARNP [I LOVE MY JOB!]
- I became VERY unsatisfied halfway through my CNM training - terrible faculty in my track in addition to turf war between Ob/Gyns and midwives :dead:. It is total garbage that CNMs are considered less than - they are the experts of NORMAL. Anyway, I decided to not do full-scope midwifery upon graduation.
- My only colleague in my clinic is a physician. Previously, I worked with MD/DOs in reproductive endocrinology. Lovely group.
- One of the REIs will be writing me a letter. My physician colleague and clinic manager are also writing letters.
- I am also the type to always want to know more. I am over consulting the experts - I want to be the expert!
- Naturally, I will be pursing Ob/Gyn. I already have training/shadowing in first-assist/perineal tear repair/delivery from midwifery training + REI procedures as a clinician.

STATS:
cGPA for first bachelors = 3.3 (>3.75 in-major)
cSGPA = 3.88
ABSN GPA = 3.7 [honors]
DNP GPA = 3.7 [honors]

PLAN:
1. Take Biochem/Organic Chem I and Physics spring quarter 2018.
2. Continue with 1-2 classes in summer if I do well.
3. MCAT the day after spring finals in June 2018.
4. Receive a LOR from the Biochem/Organic Chem professor who I also took General Chem 1 with in 2011 while doing nursing pre-reqs.
5. Apply to no more than five schools within 2 hours of our home for the 2018-2019 cycle. My husband cannot move jobs, due to pension status.

QUESTIONS:
1. As long as I do not tank the MCAT, Organic Chem/Biochem and Physics, I believe I should be okay ... right? HAHA!

2. My extracurriculars include a POC nursing organization (mentor and committee member), tumor board participant x2 at work, guest lecturer at a local university in the DNP program, doula + doula program leader, mentor for an after school pregnancy prevention organization (AmeriCorps affiliate) plus more --- think that's enough?

3. Although I have over 300 hours of shadowing my physician colleague (I was in training x4 months), I am wondering if I need to shadow an Ob/Gyn again with my background [since I know I want to do Ob/Gyn and this is referenced in my essays]. Thoughts?

Thoughts overall?!

You have incredible experience. Something I am concerned about though, is your planned science schedule. I’m not sure what all you have taken before, but at many universities orgo 1 or orgo 1 + orgo 2 are pre-reqs to biochem. I hope you have checked that you can take biochem without taking orgo before. Also, at some medical schools orgo 2 is a pre-req, even if the undergrad university didn’t require it before biochem. Also, it’s already late March. How are you taking 3 sciences classes (and maybe their labs?, not sure if you still need those as well) and studying for the MCAT all in 3 months? And are you still working during all this? Also, just be mindful June isn’t late late but you won’t be complete anywhere until July ##, whatever a month after your test date is.

5 schools is a very small cycle, even for the best candidate in the universe.

You have incredible experience. Something I am concerned about though, is your planned science schedule. I’m not sure what all you have taken before, but at many universities orgo 1 or orgo 1 + orgo 2 are pre-reqs to biochem. I hope you have checked that you can take biochem without taking orgo before. Also, at some medical schools orgo 2 is a pre-req, even if the undergrad university didn’t require it before biochem. Also, it’s already late March. How are you taking 3 sciences classes (and maybe their labs?, not sure if you still need those as well) and studying for the MCAT all in 3 months? And are you still working during all this? Also, just be mindful June isn’t late late but you won’t be complete anywhere until July ##, whatever a month after your test date is.

5 schools is a very small cycle, even for the best candidate in the universe.

------------------------------------------
Thank you for replying to me!

1. I have taken General Chem I, Biology 100, Microbio, A&P I, A&P II and statistics.

2. I am enrolled in two classes for spring: Intro to Organic Chem/Biochem (it's a combined course, approved as a state-wide course at all the CCs) and Physics I. Chose these two so I could have fresh info for the MCAT in June.

3. I have been studying for the MCAT since January - I have the KAPLAN series.

4. Yes, I am working full-time. One class is hybrid - online with labs on campus 3x/quarter. The other is an 8-hour Saturday on campus class.

I am one of those crazy people who worked 24 hours/week, had a baby during graduate school (only took 2 weeks off) and did at least three clinic days and one day of 24-hour call weekly once clinical started. During my 13-month ABSN, I was an on-call doula which sometimes meant being up all night with a laboring woman - leaving the hospital to take an exam or going to class - and returning to help her through the birth. I guess I flourish under stress :bag:.

5. I did read that my MCAT will come in on July 19th. UW is my #1 and they don't start reviewing until July 15th, so I am hoping that's close enough. :bucktooth:

6. Five is REALLY small but my husband can't move out of WA state due to his pension status. I am stuck applying to schools in around my state (2-4 hours away, max). The good thing is that UW and WSU highly prefer WA residents.

What else? Thank you again for your time.

Update: accepted to a great allopathic program and another great D.O.

Gonna go allo.

Reactions: 7 users
Hey everyone - I just wanted to chime in and say keep on swimming if this is what you want to do.

My back story - RN in PCU/ICU for 5 years, did all my prereqs on my own while working full time, took MCAT 3x, no love from US/DO schools, eventually went the Caribbean route.

I just recently graduated on Feb 23 and matched into my first choice Internal Medicine program.

IT IS SO WORTH IT IN THE END GUYS! Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading about going from RN to doctor and I have a few questions.

I'm currently in nursing school now. Just about finishing up the first semester, and it is not what I want to do. I am doing an ABSN program and I am really at a crossroads here. I just recently got my Bachelor's in psychology specifically to be able to enroll in the ABSN, as it was quicker than doing the ADN route in my case (I only had about 7 more classes for my bachelor's so I just quit my job and finished them up). However, now that I'm in the program I just do not feel like the scope of nursing will be fulfilling to me. I got this impression the first day when we were touring and we went down to the lab (we share a campus with the med students) and everyone was so freaked out by the cadavers, and I wanted to take a gander and open it up lol. I just really want to be able to delve more into the pathology of diseases and put those clues together to gather a diagnosis instead of just diagnosing a patient with impaired skin integrity (or something of that nature)! I like the healthcare field in that I am really fascinated by the body and I've always enjoyed helping people and making a noticeable difference in their lives. I also really like the science aspect of medicine which is not a large part that we really talk about in class. I ask a million questions, and everyone else complains that our professor gives us too much info, he's an MD. I love it! I actually prefer him to the nursing professor everyone complains they didn't get. I really want to know the reasoning behind the presenting symptoms and why they're manifesting, but this isn't something that is talked about in depth.

The thing is, I also don't want to quit as the program is not that long. I have one more year left and I feel like I can just stick it out and finish, as it's not that hard and I don't hate it. The issue with that is the grading scale. My undergrad GPA is fairly low, a 3.3 (due to the stereotypical maturity issues remedied with age), and I have yet to get an A on anything in nursing school. I have gotten 91.5% on at least 3 exams and an A is a 92% :arghh: (Those should be rounded to A- by the end of the semester, but one misstep and I'm screwed). I could definitely do better though and I plan on it, but I feel like it is still risky! I know that the suggestion will be to ensure I get all A's in nursing school, but I don't know how much of a possibility that will be! I was really planning on doing the NP route, but upon speaking with more NP's and learning more about the nursing profession, I don't believe this will be fulfilling to me either.

I am also a veteran and am using my GI bill to pay for nursing school. If I do pursue medicine, the GI bill would be much more useful for that tuition, however my nursing school is not cheap, around 15k a semester. Since I still have a year, it will leave me with 21 months of benefits to use. I am debating on whether I should even continue? I still have to take all the in/organic chemistries (I took one for allied health sciences), physics I&II, and biology II (these I will pay for without assistance). So not only is that going to take me AT LEAST a year to knock out the classes, I will most likely have to pay out of pocket and I am poor lol. I have read that adcoms don't like to see cc classes for the prereqs, but I won't have much of a choice. I was thinking since I am using the GI bill I could add some extra classes that I need to my schedule so they can be paid for and I can knock them out at university, but this is an accelerated program and it is a lot of work. I don't know if I should add difficult classes on top of them when I haven't even gotten an A yet.

I am also a 27/8 (in a few weeks) female. So I won't be able to even start med school until I am 30, IF everything goes as planned and I can get in on the first application cycle. I know that there are women that do it, but one of my reasons for pursuing nursing instead of med school was the time commitment. I have definitely come to terms with the fact that I may very well just become a lonely cat lady, but I can't say the time aspect doesn't sit in the back of my head at times. However, being fearful of age was something that put me off initially, and if I had truly thought about it sooner, I would have at least been finished with all the prereqs by now.

I guess I just need some advice! I feel like I can't tell my family or friends because they will say I'm being ridiculous as it was a long journey for me to get to nursing school in the first place, and one of my concerns was debt! I have essentially eliminated that with the military and other things, and now I feel like I am wasting my tuition money!

I have also been plagued with self-doubt through most of my life. This was probably the most MAJOR factor in me not pursuing medicine. The thought of failure or not getting accepted is more fear inducing than actually trying at times, but as I've gotten older I have really come to terms with my abilities and I know I can succeed if I really give it my all. Sorry for the Hallmark moment there at the end...lol

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I don't know what to do and really have no one with the background knowledge to run my thoughts by.

Hi everyone! I have been doing a lot of reading about going from RN to doctor and I have a few questions.

I'm currently in nursing school now. Just about finishing up the first semester, and it is not what I want to do. I am doing an ABSN program and I am really at a crossroads here. I just recently got my Bachelor's in psychology specifically to be able to enroll in the ABSN, as it was quicker than doing the ADN route in my case (I only had about 7 more classes for my bachelor's so I just quit my job and finished them up). However, now that I'm in the program I just do not feel like the scope of nursing will be fulfilling to me. I got this impression the first day when we were touring and we went down to the lab (we share a campus with the med students) and everyone was so freaked out by the cadavers, and I wanted to take a gander and open it up lol. I just really want to be able to delve more into the pathology of diseases and put those clues together to gather a diagnosis instead of just diagnosing a patient with impaired skin integrity (or something of that nature)! I like the healthcare field in that I am really fascinated by the body and I've always enjoyed helping people and making a noticeable difference in their lives. I also really like the science aspect of medicine which is not a large part that we really talk about in class. I ask a million questions, and everyone else complains that our professor gives us too much info, he's an MD. I love it! I actually prefer him to the nursing professor everyone complains they didn't get. I really want to know the reasoning behind the presenting symptoms and why they're manifesting, but this isn't something that is talked about in depth.

The thing is, I also don't want to quit as the program is not that long. I have one more year left and I feel like I can just stick it out and finish, as it's not that hard and I don't hate it. The issue with that is the grading scale. My undergrad GPA is fairly low, a 3.3 (due to the stereotypical maturity issues remedied with age), and I have yet to get an A on anything in nursing school. I have gotten 91.5% on at least 3 exams and an A is a 92% :arghh: (Those should be rounded to A- by the end of the semester, but one misstep and I'm screwed). I could definitely do better though and I plan on it, but I feel like it is still risky! I know that the suggestion will be to ensure I get all A's in nursing school, but I don't know how much of a possibility that will be! I was really planning on doing the NP route, but upon speaking with more NP's and learning more about the nursing profession, I don't believe this will be fulfilling to me either.

I am also a veteran and am using my GI bill to pay for nursing school. If I do pursue medicine, the GI bill would be much more useful for that tuition, however my nursing school is not cheap, around 15k a semester. Since I still have a year, it will leave me with 21 months of benefits to use. I am debating on whether I should even continue? I still have to take all the in/organic chemistries (I took one for allied health sciences), physics I&II, and biology II (these I will pay for without assistance). So not only is that going to take me AT LEAST a year to knock out the classes, I will most likely have to pay out of pocket and I am poor lol. I have read that adcoms don't like to see cc classes for the prereqs, but I won't have much of a choice. I was thinking since I am using the GI bill I could add some extra classes that I need to my schedule so they can be paid for and I can knock them out at university, but this is an accelerated program and it is a lot of work. I don't know if I should add difficult classes on top of them when I haven't even gotten an A yet.

I am also a 27/8 (in a few weeks) female. So I won't be able to even start med school until I am 30, IF everything goes as planned and I can get in on the first application cycle. I know that there are women that do it, but one of my reasons for pursuing nursing instead of med school was the time commitment. I have definitely come to terms with the fact that I may very well just become a lonely cat lady, but I can't say the time aspect doesn't sit in the back of my head at times. However, being fearful of age was something that put me off initially, and if I had truly thought about it sooner, I would have at least been finished with all the prereqs by now.

I guess I just need some advice! I feel like I can't tell my family or friends because they will say I'm being ridiculous as it was a long journey for me to get to nursing school in the first place, and one of my concerns was debt! I have essentially eliminated that with the military and other things, and now I feel like I am wasting my tuition money!

I have also been plagued with self-doubt through most of my life. This was probably the most MAJOR factor in me not pursuing medicine. The thought of failure or not getting accepted is more fear inducing than actually trying at times, but as I've gotten older I have really come to terms with my abilities and I know I can succeed if I really give it my all. Sorry for the Hallmark moment there at the end...lol

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions? I don't know what to do and really have no one with the background knowledge to run my thoughts by.

I don’t know anything about the GI bill benefits and how to maximize your use. You have quite a bit to think about. I almost think you should have done PA after your bachelors in psych. That’s kinda the vibe I’m getting from your post. I am an RN who started DO school this past fall at 31. I had my ASN first and then did my bachelor in psych. Sorry for the incoherent reply, just thoughts I had reading your post.

I don’t know anything about the GI bill benefits and how to maximize your use. You have quite a bit to think about. I almost think you should have done PA after your bachelors in psych. That’s kinda the vibe I’m getting from your post. I am an RN who started DO school this past fall at 31. I had my ASN first and then did my bachelor in psych. Sorry for the incoherent reply, just thoughts I had reading your post.

Why do you say PA would be a better option?

Why do you say PA would be a better option?
Well, I don’t know if you’re so far in this doesn’t matter anymore, but at the time you had a bachelor in a non-health program. Also, you mentioned being worried about age/debt/time commitment. Additionally, you mentioned wanting a program that quenched your science and pathophys interests more, which PA would over NP, but not as much as MD/DO.

Did you get UF?

Nope, unfortunately not, but with my stats I’m very lucky have gotten in anywhere. I’ll make a thread because I’m sure it would shock people to find out I got 5 acceptances (including allo) with my crappy MCAT

Thank you for replying to me!

1. I have taken General Chem I, Biology 100, Microbio, A&P I, A&P II and statistics.

2. I am enrolled in two classes for spring: Intro to Organic Chem/Biochem (it's a combined course, approved as a state-wide course at all the CCs) and Physics I. Chose these two so I could have fresh info for the MCAT in June.

3. I have been studying for the MCAT since January - I have the KAPLAN series.

4. Yes, I am working full-time. One class is hybrid - online with labs on campus 3x/quarter. The other is an 8-hour Saturday on campus class.

I am one of those crazy people who worked 24 hours/week, had a baby during graduate school (only took 2 weeks off) and did at least three clinic days and one day of 24-hour call weekly once clinical started. During my 13-month ABSN, I was an on-call doula which sometimes meant being up all night with a laboring woman - leaving the hospital to take an exam or going to class - and returning to help her through the birth. I guess I flourish under stress :bag:.

5. I did read that my MCAT will come in on July 19th. UW is my #1 and they don't start reviewing until July 15th, so I am hoping that's close enough. :bucktooth:

6. Five is REALLY small but my husband can't move out of WA state due to his pension status. I am stuck applying to schools in around my state (2-4 hours away, max). The good thing is that UW and WSU highly prefer WA residents.

Hi,
I read your posts just now; just wanted to say, sounds good and good luck! Take it one step at a time and remember you can always apply the following year if you need more time to get the classes and study for the MCAT. Your kids are only going to get more mature and better able to handle the transition. I'd definitely recommend making sure your marriage relationship is shored up---you said your spouse is supportive but stressed and that he can't leave his job. Do you have someone else supporting you, your kids, etc? A grandparent or aupair or something?

I don't know about a lot of schools, but at the local DO school to where I live, there is a special consideration for NP's regarding prerequisite course equivalency (see #8 on https://www.vcom.edu/admissions/admission-requirements)
Might be something to meet with admissions reps from UW and WSU to discuss these types of things. The prerequisites are becoming much more flexible at a lot of programs. This can save you some time and tuition money but I DEFINITELY recommend taking Biochem O CHem, and Physics just for the MCAT if you haven't before...

I also did an ABSN in the PNW 7 years ago. :)

UW is my #1 and they don't start reviewing until July 15th, so I am hoping that's close enough.

I'm a RN who just got into UW. Feel free to PM me.

Hi,
I read your posts just now; just wanted to say, sounds good and good luck! Take it one step at a time and remember you can always apply the following year if you need more time to get the classes and study for the MCAT. Your kids are only going to get more mature and better able to handle the transition. I'd definitely recommend making sure your marriage relationship is shored up---you said your spouse is supportive but stressed and that he can't leave his job. Do you have someone else supporting you, your kids, etc? A grandparent or aupair or something?

I don't know about a lot of schools, but at the local DO school to where I live, there is a special consideration for NP's regarding prerequisite course equivalency
Might be something to meet with admissions reps from UW and WSU to discuss these types of things. The prerequisites are becoming much more flexible at a lot of programs. This can save you some time and tuition money but I DEFINITELY recommend taking Biochem O CHem, and Physics just for the MCAT if you haven't before...

I also did an ABSN in the PNW 7 years ago. :)

I'm assuming you were at UW for your ABSN?

Thankfully, my husband's parents are retired so they help a lot with our youngest. Shoring up the relationship is a must, no doubt. He is always stressed if you mention money, hahaha. That won't ever change, no matter how much money we make [unless it was the lottery].

Thank you for the link and tips. Taking physics and biochem are on my list this spring!

Hello everyone, just posting a quick update about how things are going. I will be finishing my BSN in just a few more days, and will be starting a formal postbac program at the University of Florida in the Fall. Decided to go with a BSN+Postbacc because it just made more sense for me financially and time wise. Part of the acceptance requirement for the postbac was that I retake Intro to Chem at the university level, which I will be doing at UF this summer. I have been preparing myself financially so that I will not have to continue to work full time while in the program, and can instead focus on excelling in my classes during the program, and volunteer opportunities at the university affiliated hospital. For shadowing experience one of the Cardiothoracic Surgeons at my hospital whom I have a great relationship with has agreed to allow me to shadow him for as many hours as I desire. For research experience I am hoping to hop aboard a project that is being undertaken by one of the Interventional Cardiologist at my hospital, who is also quite friendly. I am happy to report that my coworkers, and even some of the NPs, have been very supportive of my decision. I have also been receiving advice from an MSIII about the admission process and my plan. I am beyond excited to start the journey towards medical school.

Hello, everyone!
A little about myself, I'm 21, I just graduated from an ADN program, I take my NCLEX Jan. 9th, and I have secured a job in a CVICU in a major hospital in my area. I'll be honest, I had no real exposure to the healthcare field prior to school but I thoroughly enjoy it. While nursing is a respectable profession I feel like I'm in the wrong field. However, I'm a little doubtful of my chances of getting into Medical School. It's not that lack the intelligence, it's just that my GPA has some baggage from duel-enrollment courses not taken seriously and from not caring that much about school. Life experiences have matured me immensely though. My cGPA is a 3.15 and I have 115 credits hours (got an AA Degree prior to the ADN). I think I could realistically pull it up to a 3.5, but anything much higher than that is a stretch simply due to the amount of credits I have accumulated. I could really kick myself right now for listening to poor influences and not putting forth the effort to have a 4.0 because I know I'm capable of doing so, but, oh well. Some things I have going for me is that I have yet to take General Chemistry I or II, Organic Chemistry I or II, Biochemistry, Biology II, and Physics I or II, and I don't have a bachelor's degree. So, my plan is to pursue either Biomedical Engineering or Biochemistry since a BSN wouldn't include those science courses. I'm hoping that the clinical experience from nursing will be looked upon favorably by adcoms, and that a strong upward trend in my GPA will showcase my personal growth and maturity. I'm super happy to stumble upon these forums, and wish everyone the best!

How did you study for the MCAT?

I liked the AAMC material for passages practice, but I used Khan Academy for content review mostly. I also downloaded the content outlines from the AAMC website and used them to keep track of what material I knew and what I needed to learn.

I also second RNthenDoc: the MCAT is a beast, and the real deal was significantly more stressful/difficult than the practice exams for me. My best advice sitting on this side of the exam is to take as many practice tests under exam conditions as possible. Sure, it's about the content, but it's also about critical thinking and time management. You need to have a well developed strategy for how to approach questions when you have a) forgotten the equation/relevant concept or b) never even heard of it. It's likely to happen on the real exam to some degree, so try and figure out how to make the best use of the passage information and decide how you're going to keep it from eating away at the clock.

Good luck!

How did you study for the MCAT?

Kaplan book set
Khan Academy vids
Took 2 AAMC practice exams, did all of Kaplans practice exams.

Do your best to learn the material. The Biochem and Biology stuff will come back during your first year of med school. Speaking of which, my last final is tomorrow. Woot woot. :)

What did you all get on the MCAT, and how many months did you give yourself to prepare for the test?

What did you all get on the MCAT, and how many months did you give yourself to prepare for the test?

took it once, 501, not stellar. I think it was the 62nd percentile for that take. I took 6 months to study because I was working fulltime nights. :sleep:

Reactions: 1 users
took it once, 501, not stellar. I think it was the 62nd percentile for that take. I took 6 months to study because I was working fulltime nights. :sleep:
Not bad actually! Can you tell me what your sGPA was? Is the MCAT comparable to the NCLEX? Whats the hardest part about the MCAT? Is there anything you would have done differently if you had the opportunity to take it again?

Not bad actually! Can you tell me what your sGPA was? Is the MCAT comparable to the NCLEX? Whats the hardest part about the MCAT? Is there anything you would have done differently if you had the opportunity to take it again?

I think my sGPA was around 3.4 and my cGPA was a 3.3ish. The MCAT is much less predictable than the NCLEX and in my opinion, much harder too. The hardest part for me was Physics, Physics 1 stuff was fun, Physics 2 stuff just blew me away. My first MCAT passage was on some study about electron physics... i had no clue.

If i could do it over again i would probably study for only 3 months rather than 6. Condense everything in to that shorter period of time so i didn't forget what i did at the beginning.

NCLEX vs. MCAT is night and day. For real. The NCLEX is no joke...... until you compare it to the MCAT!

Hey guys, I'm almost two years out of school and I have a 2.7 gpa. Looking to go back and boost this average up to something that has me somewhat competitive for DO schools. What have you guys done? I'll be working part time med/ICU as well, 12 hour shifts. Thanks