Rosalind Franklin ADCOM meeting => the wait continues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here's what I do:

1). I read the passage and occasionally underline or circle key words
2). I'll then, after finishing the passage, tackle each question one at a time
3). I almost always get it down to a 50 50 choice, but for some reason, I'm 70% of the time wrong

On average, looking through some of my passages, I get three wrong. Usually it's in the way I either interpreted the question or the section of the passage in question. Sometimes there's just a small nuance that I overlook. A particular word, such as "most", could throw my completely in a different direction.

Like I said, I'm not very consistent. I don't know how else to change it. I have the EK verbal book and the Kaplan course verbal book. I find the EK more helpful, but I can't ever break the 10 mark.

When I took the Kaplan course, they emphasized the topic and scope of the passage. The questions a lot of times don't deal with details, but rather the idea in the passage, the author's intention, and the author's logic in writing it. A good way of thinking through the passage is saying to yourself "why is this paragraph here?" and "what does the author think?"

Paraphrasing also works. Jot down little notes next to each paragraph that tells you the point of the paragraph. Then it's easy to go back to them. These strategies can take more time, but I found them useful.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, here's what I do:

1). I read the passage and occasionally underline or circle key words
2). I'll then, after finishing the passage, tackle each question one at a time
3). I almost always get it down to a 50 50 choice, but for some reason, I'm 70% of the time wrong

On average, looking through some of my passages, I get three wrong. Usually it's in the way I either interpreted the question or the section of the passage in question. Sometimes there's just a small nuance that I overlook. A particular word, such as "most", could throw my completely in a different direction.

Like I said, I'm not very consistent. I don't know how else to change it. I have the EK verbal book and the Kaplan course verbal book. I find the EK more helpful, but I can't ever break the 10 mark.

I got a 10V, not great but not bad. Here's the way I do it:

1. Look at the questions first so I know what the test writers are focusing on.
2. Read the passage with the questions in mind.
3. Start answering the questions and refer back to the passage as necessary.

I typically got between a 10 and a 12 on the practice tests but ended up with a 10 on the real thing.

i got into a SMP at Philadelphia (PCOM). but i am not really sure what i'll do.

If you get turned down this year, how many times total will that be? If this is your first time applying, I would skip SGU and go to the SMP. If this is your second or third time, I would give SGU more consideration. You can do fine in medicine by going there if you're committed and willing to study hard for the USMLE since you'll need to score better than the average US graduate for competitive residencies.

An old friend of mine just graduated from there and matched into ortho - not exactly an easy residency to get into. But it shows it can be done if your heart is in it.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you get turned down this year, how many times total will that be? If this is your first time applying, I would skip SGU and go to the SMP. If this is your second or third time, I would give SGU more consideration. You can do fine in medicine by going there if you're committed and willing to study hard for the USMLE since you'll need to score better than the average US graduate for competitive residencies.

An old friend of mine just graduated from there and matched into ortho - not exactly an easy residency to get into. But it shows it can be done if your heart is in it.

this is my second time applying and i am giving SGU consideration.

Let's keep the faith. They still haven't made or told people who is on the waitlist yet. Even then, some previous post said all the people on the waitlist last year eventually got in. That said, to quote George Kastanza "Serenity Now!"

really?

What a long day...looks like no one recieved anything from RFU again..

Guju-grats on your PCOM SMP acceptance.

What a long day...looks like no one recieved anything from RFU again..

Guju-grats on your PCOM SMP acceptance.

thanks but at this point i am not sure if i'll do the SMP or go to SGU.

thanks but at this point i am not sure if i'll do the SMP or go to SGU.

Have you applied to any DO schools? Or are you only interested in being a MD? Nothing wrong with that if you are since it's a personal choice.

Have you applied to any DO schools? Or are you only interested in being a MD? Nothing wrong with that if you are since it's a personal choice.

I have applied to DO schools. I am currently waitlsted at Des Moines University (DO school).

I have applied to DO schools. I am currently waitlsted at Des Moines University (DO school).

Well, it just comes down to how long you want to wait to start medical school.

If you go to the SMP, it will be at least 1 or 2 years before you can start.

If you go to SGU, it will be 7 months before you could start.

Of course, this is assuming one of the schools doesn't take you off the waitlist this year.

Well, it just comes down to how long you want to wait to start medical school.

If you go to the SMP, it will be at least 1 or 2 years before you can start.

If you go to SGU, it will be 7 months before you could start.

assuming i get in after doing SMP.

Members don't see this ad :)
GujMD
did you also apply to midwestern? I applied to DMU interviewed as was waitlisted as well.

i figure i've been out of the country for 4 weeks and haven't heard anything so i might as well give them a call.
well i emaild v. castro and then calld them and the admissions person took my name and amcas id and said that 'all i can do is have an admissions counselor call you back when they get back in the office'.
well we'll see what happens i guess? time to work on that letter of intent.

Filling a 2008 AMCAS looks to be in my future. Do you think I should wait until mid-June so that I can find out if any of my WL break or if I get into a SMP?

i figure i've been out of the country for 4 weeks and haven't heard anything so i might as well give them a call.
well i emaild v. castro and then calld them and the admissions person took my name and amcas id and said that 'all i can do is have an admissions counselor call you back when they get back in the office'.
well we'll see what happens i guess? time to work on that letter of intent.
Do they accept LOI through email?

Has anyone called the admissions office lately?

Going to a White Sox game in a bit. :D

I called last week. They said this:

Dear Nomemory,

As of today, there hasn’t been any action taken on your file in terms
of an acceptance or rejection. Please expect a letter within the next
two weeks.

That was last Wednesday (5/16). So....who knows. :oops:

assuming i get in after doing SMP.

Geez, why so negative? I have no doubt you will become an excellent physician whether you attend a US school or SGU.

And, if you decide to go to SGU, I wouldn't worry too much about there being a "stigma" to being an IMG. Once you're into residency, you are set and on your way to your career. No one will ask or care where you went to medical school. What they WILL care about is are you are a competent physician and do you bring in grant money (if you're in academics). Most physicians and other health care practitioners are FAR too busy to care if you are a USMG or an IMG.

Geez, why so negative? I have no doubt you will become an excellent physician whether you attend a US school or SGU.

And, if you decide to go to SGU, I wouldn't worry too much about there being a "stigma" to being an IMG. Once you're into residency, you are set and on your way to your career. No one will ask or care where you went to medical school. What they WILL care about is are you are a competent physician and do you bring in grant money (if you're in academics). Most physicians and other health care practitioners are FAR too busy to care if you are a USMG or an IMG.

100% agreement. :thumbup:

I called them today. I posted about it previously. They told me an admin counselor would call me back, yeah never got a call back. Also emailed them, so we'll see if that gets returned.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and to this forum. I've read the CMS threads and being a Canadian who only applied to 2 US schools....I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms used.

So, this may sound a little stupid, but what EXACTLY is a letter of intent? Everyone seems to be planning on writing one. I also got interviewed at Rosalind Franklin for the MD program back in April and haven't heard anything yet. Would writing the school a "letter of intent" help? Rosalind Franklin is my #1 choice right now (otherwise, I'm off to Ireland for med school :eek: ).

I would be so grateful if you could let me know what exactly a letter of intent is....does it mean that I write them a letter to let them know that I am VERY interested in their school and that if I get accepted, I will definitely accept their offer?

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this website and to this forum. I've read the CMS threads and being a Canadian who only applied to 2 US schools....I'm unfamiliar with some of the terms used.

So, this may sound a little stupid, but what EXACTLY is a letter of intent? Everyone seems to be planning on writing one. I also got interviewed at Rosalind Franklin for the MD program back in April and haven't heard anything yet. Would writing the school a "letter of intent" help? Rosalind Franklin is my #1 choice right now (otherwise, I'm off to Ireland for med school :eek: ).

I would be so grateful if you could let me know what exactly a letter of intent is....does it mean that I write them a letter to let them know that I am VERY interested in their school and that if I get accepted, I will definitely accept their offer?

Thanks so much!

in a nut-shell, yes. you hit it on the dot. im not fully sure of what to include or anything either; im about to look it up on sdn rite now using the search feature.

no idea if it makes a difference or anything. i just dont want to go down knowing that there might have been something else i could have done.

yeah letters of intent might help but might go straight to the trash. Who knows? But better safe than sorry, so we all write them.

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!

Hey fellow Canuck.

Letter of intent means that you promise to go to their school if they accept you. Sometimes it might help things move along, especially if you already have an acceptance in the bag it doesn't look so desperate.

BTW, medicine in Ireland?!? Yuck. What kind of GPA/MCAT do you have that compelled you to apply there?

Where is everyone at tonight?

so who do i send this beaUtiful little letter to (that being my LOI)? i dont quite have the address to the dean or assisnt dean. and i doubt they'd really ever look at a letter like this.
i was advised not to send it to the admissions office...

Uhh. I sent mine to the admission office addressed to "to whom it may concern" It was immediatly thrown in the garbage.

I'm at home, cooking dinner for my girlfriend, stressed out because of my current medical school situation. I wish I was done with this already.

so who do i send this beaUtiful little letter to (that being my LOI)? i dont quite have the address to the dean or assisnt dean. and i doubt they'd really ever look at a letter like this.
i was advised not to send it to the admissions office...

I sent mine via email to the admissions office, sent one via mail directly to the dean, and then I sent another copy to my interviewer, the CFO of the school, who then sent it to it's respectful location. So basically, I covered my bases. I think it looks like I mean business by asking the CFO to help me out. :cool:

You guys need to get in pronto, Im sure good news is on its way. Maybe some of us could end up as roommates :).

You guys need to get in pronto, Im sure good news is on its way. Maybe some of us could end up as roommates :).

I'm so glad you still look at this page! It lets me know that there are still people out there that care about our wellbeing.

I ate felafel and burrekas in the best Middle Eastern restaurant in the midwest for lunch, ran errands, had St. Louis-style pizza for dinner, and then went home and planted a burning bush in the backyard.

More jobs applied for this week, but I am out of the proverbial finance weeds until August, which is nice.

Hello everyone!

I am so sick right now...I have a cold, fever, headache, and my throat hurts....last time i got this sick overnight, I got notification from Des Moines about being waitlisted....so maybe (just maybe) something is going to come today in the mail....
hopefully this time its good news....

one more thing....its raining over here really really hard...what a depressing day! its gonna rain and be cloudy all day today...grrrr

Looks like you have the "haventgotinitis" I have it to, and the only cure is an acceptance.:D

Looks like you have the "haventgotinitis" I have it to, and the only cure is an acceptance.:D

you'll be a great doctor....if you can diagnose someone over SDN without any medical training, you'll do wonders after getting your MD.

I also heard that "more Cow Bell" helps too.

My prediction for the next wave of acceptances: June 6th

Yeah but Cow Bell helps with any fever... :laugh:

I feel its logical for them to meet at the end of this month, they should have a good idea of how many withdrew. Keep your chins up, and feel better GujuMD. Since it comes via regular mail, and it took me 4 days to get it, the early June guess is quite possible. Remember, rumor has it that everyone got in off the waitlist last year so keep the faith. Its more a matter of when you guys will get in rather then if u guys will get in. :) :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

BTW I continue to love this thread :).

Well, I'm sure some of you will be please to hear that the White Sox lost. I was pretty disappointed - they just couldn't get any offense going.

Guju, I hope you get better. It's bad enough having to go through this whole process with good health.

I agree, early June sounds pretty reasonable for the next wave of acceptances. Has anyone talked to them about a waitlist at all?

I got turned down for that teaching job. No surprise really, but the process just never seems to end.

Guju-sorry that you are sick :(

J-I have the same problem and I hear you can only be cured by a miracle!

Heston-the cubs lost to, so we can mope together.

Hopefully good news soon.

I caught my mail man cussing up a storm while he was putting away the letters the other day. It was not just one outburst either, it was a whole string, a pause and another string. Made me worry about what would happen if I ever got one of those big envelopes that people talk about.

I caught my mail man cussing up a storm while he was putting away the letters the other day. It was not just one outburst either, it was a whole string, a pause and another string. Made me worry about what would happen if I ever got one of those big envelopes that people talk about.

Haha, that's pretty funny.

Curious, how did your acceptance come? In a big envelope or a regular sized one?

Status
Not open for further replies.