Rosalind Franklin Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got a packet with tons of info in it in the mail yesterday. It has most of the instructions on what to do next as well as some waivers to sign. Get your vaccinations updated!

Members don't see this ad.

So did anybody find out when finaid packages are coming? Zargos, was the finaid in the package you got? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moniker said:
giving too much credit to californians....they don't "favor" Californians at all.

theres lots at RFU because there's lots of CA applicants to rfu, that's all.

There are a lot of Cali applicants to most schools in the US yet you dont see these schools having 45% of the incoming class coming from California

i got the same large packet in the mail on friday. it contained a financial aid application as well as housing information and immunization forms. i can't believe the proof of immunizations is due on may 12!!! so soon! anyway, i've actually finalized my decision to withdraw from rosalind franklin - it was a tough decision to make! it just doesn't seem to be in my best interests to go back to the midwest at this point in time. i wish all you guys the best of luck at cms, it's definitely a great school.

I visited RFU again this weekend and its pretty clear that I will be withdrawing. The school is great, but I really don't think I can see myself living in North Chicago. There is absolutely nothing there.

Moniker said:
giving too much credit to californians....they don't "favor" Californians at all.

theres lots at RFU because there's lots of CA applicants to rfu, that's all.

My student tour guide this weekend said that in her class of 180 students, about 75 are from california. Thats alot of us cali people. I dont know what it means, just stating the facts.

Ombatay said:
I live in the north chicago area right now, and I'd strongly advise you NOT to live in the south suburbs. They've just started the Dan Ryan construction project (the dan ryan is what chicagoans call I-94 south of "The Loop") and it has subsequently made traffic a total disaster. The tri-state (the I-294 loop going around the city) might make it ok to go around(with 3-4 tolls too...), but you're looking at a 90 minute commute most days of the week. And that's one way. The farthest I'd go I have to agree with the previous poster, that being evanston. Or even downtown if you live in the north end of the city. I know a few people who do it now, but they tend to be the types who go to class 1-2x/week. You can also look west of here. Cheaper housing to be found in more central lake county, and its probably only a 30 minute drive, but it will put you just a bit further out of reach from the city proper.

How about the Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights area?

Is there anything nice around there? It seems much closer to I-94, so it would be a straight shot up to RFU. Also, does the interstate get congested on the way up to RFU in the morning?

Where exactly is I-94 south of the loop? Where are all the toll roads at?

Thanks.

Gracey103 said:
I visited RFU again this weekend and its pretty clear that I will be withdrawing. The school is great, but I really don't think I can see myself living in North Chicago. There is absolutely nothing there.
oh but there is tons of stuff there...
u just gotta look harder.
:)

doclm said:
How about the Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights area?

Is there anything nice around there? It seems much closer to I-94, so it would be a straight shot up to RFU. Also, does the interstate get congested on the way up to RFU in the morning?

Where exactly is I-94 south of the loop? Where are all the toll roads at?

Thanks.

Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights would be probably a 35-40 minute commute if you drive reasonably near the speed limit, but this is assuming there isn't traffic. Traffic on I-94 headed north is AWFUL during the summer/early fall due to the Six Flags theme park being right there. Huge bigtime delays. Waukegan Rd. runs ok as an escape from bad traffic but I wouldn't advise it on a daily basis. Traffic is kind of a guess as far as that goes. Northbound usually is bad in the evening and ok in the morning, but that is by no means an absolute. I know someone who lives in palatine and commutes though, seems to find it ok. I study in deerfield on a daily basis and find that commute to be about as far as I'd be able to tolerate. It's usually around 20 minutes.

Mount Prospect/Arlington Heights will be cheaper than living in the north shore suburbs like northbrook/highland park... but not necessarily that much cheaper. I hear there are some better deals in Lake Bluff and Vernon Hills. Maybe even try Libertyville. Libertyville has a "historic" downtown and that sort of stuff going on, and I don't know many students who live out there, but its a 15 minute non expressway commute. I could see housing being affordable there as well. (plus it's one of the only places to find a bar near the school) Any particular reason you want to live so far away?

Ombatay said:
Any particular reason you want to live so far away?

i don't know about doclm, but i'm looking to buy a house/townhouse for the 4 years i'm in school, and i'd like to have a reasonable commute during the clinical years as well. i know there are several hospitals, but do you have any suggestions on suburbs that would work for all 4 years?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really the only area best suited for this would be Northbrook and any other suburbs in northern cook county. You'll get a reasonable 20-30 minute commute up, and supposing no traffic, and a 20-30 minute commute down. The downside is this area is ritzy. Safe, but unaffordable... The great majority move after two years, however, as it's just simply more convenient.

I know a lot of those who buy, rather than find something in between, just buy downtown and put up with the long commute the first two years. There is a shuttle bus that runs from school to the Lake Bluff Train Station. It runs 3 times in the morning and then back 2 or 3 times in the evening. It doesn't run on weekends, and I believe the earliest pick up is 7 am and the latest drop off is 6 pm. And then you are at the mercy of the Metra as well. The metra allows a certain number of bikes on the trains, if that works for you. You may wind up making friends quickly if you live downtown, as the post exam parties are almost always at bars downtown, and you'll have lots wanting to sleep on the couch =).

Evanston would also be a decent option. Living in Gurnee or Lincolnshire would also be a decent option.

EctopicFetus said:
Evanston would also be a decent option. Living in Gurnee or Lincolnshire would also be a decent option.
for all 4 years? wouldn't living in gurnee make years 3-4 hell?

The train from chicago to Lake bluff is under an hour, I believe. Thats what I would do.

i am gonna be taking the train from a western suburb (with my trusty bicycle) as commute by car would be too hard on my sanity! at least one can study on the train ;)

Bye everyone~! I'm leaving this thread and withdrawing my acceptance from rfu. I think it is a great school but I've found myself a better fit! You'll have a lot of fun in Chicago...I hope you can survive the winters!
Good luck!

Ombatay said:
Mount Prospect or Arlington Heights would be probably a 35-40 minute commute if you drive reasonably near the speed limit, but this is assuming there isn't traffic. Traffic on I-94 headed north is AWFUL during the summer/early fall due to the Six Flags theme park being right there. Huge bigtime delays. Waukegan Rd. runs ok as an escape from bad traffic but I wouldn't advise it on a daily basis. Traffic is kind of a guess as far as that goes. Northbound usually is bad in the evening and ok in the morning, but that is by no means an absolute. I know someone who lives in palatine and commutes though, seems to find it ok. I study in deerfield on a daily basis and find that commute to be about as far as I'd be able to tolerate. It's usually around 20 minutes.

Mount Prospect/Arlington Heights will be cheaper than living in the north shore suburbs like northbrook/highland park... but not necessarily that much cheaper. I hear there are some better deals in Lake Bluff and Vernon Hills. Maybe even try Libertyville. Libertyville has a "historic" downtown and that sort of stuff going on, and I don't know many students who live out there, but its a 15 minute non expressway commute. I could see housing being affordable there as well. (plus it's one of the only places to find a bar near the school) Any particular reason you want to live so far away?

I've lived up north all 4 years (owned a place), and the commuting sucked, but it wasnt bad, you learn to live with it. I'd reccomend looking somewhere near the freeway south of the school and north of town. I completely don't agree that northbrook is unaffordable, you just have to look carefully...and Glenview isnt far from Northbrook and there is lots of good stuff there...Buffalo grove, Lincolnshire, Morton Grove and Wheeling are all close to I-294. There are AMPLE cheap condos in Skokie, but some will be a little gross.
When you get to third year, you can plan lots of your rotations at Lutheran, the north Chicago VA and other places on the north side (Family practice and ambulatory care are assigned to clinics close to your address anyway). I only had what I would call real nasty commute for 14 weeks of 3rd year (8 of which were for surgery, and there is NO traffic at 4:30 am anyway).
If you can swing it, owning is the way to go...I'm so glad I didnt have to mess with moving every year, and didnt throw away 12 grand a year on rent. It's hard for most people, but if you can, DO IT!!! Personal message me for more details if you like...I've got lots of little real estate "ins"

thanks for the input scrubbedin! it is nice to have RFU alums chime in :D

so, anyone else out there really bummed that we won't know anything about the financial aid until late june/early july??? :mad: i want to know what my options are!!! i am one who plans far too much for things, it drives me batty to do stuff the last minute!!!

oh! and anyone else repulsed by the medloans APR? almost 8% interest from the time that the loan is given to you! :eek: that adds up over 4 years, ya know?

Really, late june!!! Yeah the loan stuff scares me. I am trying hard not to think about the debt we will have to take on.

TimmyTheWonderD said:
so, anyone else out there really bummed that we won't know anything about the financial aid until late june/early july??? :mad: i want to know what my options are!!! i am one who plans far too much for things, it drives me batty to do stuff the last minute!!!

REALLY?? That sucks. I was hoping to have everything lined out quickly so I wouldnt have to worry about it. As it is I have to sell my house, find a place to live up there, quit my job, the list goes on. --- Jared

welcome! another married student - :) yea! i will be 30 soon, too!
yeah, when you have a house and a spouse it is nice to have your financial ducks in a row way ahead of time whenever possible. i am trying to contact their financial aid office to see if they might help me figure things out sooner.

at least RFU does not want parental info - being married for 6 years and being 29 i don't rely on them to pay for school anymore - so why should i have to include their $ info!!

is your spouse a student too? my hubby is a full time student so we are gonna be HURTIN' bad $ wise!!! we should start a dirt poor married/unmarried medical students club at RFU where we all get together and clip coupons, and we can make field trips to sam's club and share the cost of 40lbs of cheerios and ramen noodles! ;)

Nope, spouse is not a student. We've been working for several years now. Dual income engineers, no kids. Although it's easy to get caught up in life with nice houses, cars, etc, I never lost sight of finding my purpose in life. Thankfully my wife is fully supportive of my career choice and willing to give everything up, except her job that is... :D Financial planning is really important to us, and I want to know what to expect, sooner the better. Even with her job we will be living the student life...Sam's club rocks!! :thumbup:

I just talked to the financial Aid office...Jessica I think. She said that they wait to process the loans until the deadline (June 23) because they dont have time to process loans and then have people withdraw, and then do it for someone else, and so on and so forth. She said that we should get a statement of funding "around" the deadline. She also said that "typically" people with good credit (no defaulted loans) and US Citizens generally receive what they ask for from the Federal Govmt. FYI.

Hey guys, I just got in! woooo hoooooo :D

I'm trying to decide between CMS and Albert Einstein.. any thoughts?

smilesss said:
Hey guys, I just got in! woooo hoooooo :D

I'm trying to decide between CMS and Albert Einstein.. any thoughts?

DEFINATELY AECOM. It is a much better school in a better are (I know its in the bronx, but at least its fairly close to manhattan and there is actually stuff around there) I interviewed at AECOM and was rejected :( woulda been my first choice. einstein is pass/fail, alot of jewish holidays off, nice facilities, and very good teaching hospitals.

Hi Prazmatic!
I see you are a current M1 student in RFU and I just was curious to find out what is the course load like for the M1? How much studying you have to do every day? How many hours of lecture do M1's have every day?
Thanks a lot
prazmatic said:
The reason thats so high is because it factors in M4s who were once AP student, and thus, accumulated 5 years of debt instead of 4.

Go here and on the menu in the upper right of the page you'll see a drop down menu that has the schedules for the M1's terms 1,2, and 3 (PDF files). That should give you a pretty good idea of how much time you'll spend in class if you do choose to go to most of your classes =)

nkazak said:
Hi Prazmatic!
I see you are a current M1 student in RFU and I just was curious to find out what is the course load like for the M1? How much studying you have to do every day? How many hours of lecture do M1's have every day?
Thanks a lot

There is ALOT of studying. Youd be surprised how much material they can hit you with in only 50 minutes. Particularly in neuroscience, anatomy, MCB, Biochem. If youre good at memorizing, these classes will be your b!tch. If you suck at memorizing, these classes will be your worst nightmare.

Only 3 more weeks left in M1 year...

Thanks a lot for the info. I have another question for you: Do most people study primarily off of their notes or use textbooks (Do the notes pretty much contain all the info we need to know or they need to be supplemented with books?). Do the professors even provide students with notes?
Thanks a bunch
prazmatic said:
There is ALOT of studying. Youd be surprised how much material they can hit you with in only 50 minutes. Particularly in neuroscience, anatomy, MCB, Biochem. If youre good at memorizing, these classes will be your b!tch. If you suck at memorizing, these classes will be your worst nightmare.

Only 3 more weeks left in M1 year...

Notes notes notes. Some texts help, and people will be pretty helpful in pointing out the texts that do, but the notes are the meat and potatoes of the courses. All professors provide notes of some variety. Some are better than others, but most are pretty good. There's been a bit of a fiasco this year as to providing printed notes. Most of the departments in the school have been insisting the students switch to an "electronic only" format of notes, so they'll pass out a CD with all the notes in PDF at the beginning of the quarter... but they will sell you a printed version of the notes for a moderate fee :thumbdown: . The physiology department has been the only one on the students side on this and still provides printed notes. :clap:

Thanks a lot for the information, it is very helpful. Do you have any advice or pointers as to which textbooks are a must during M1?
Thanks a lot.
Ombatay said:
Notes notes notes. Some texts help, and people will be pretty helpful in pointing out the texts that do, but the notes are the meat and potatoes of the courses. All professors provide notes of some variety. Some are better than others, but most are pretty good. There's been a bit of a fiasco this year as to providing printed notes. Most of the departments in the school have been insisting the students switch to an "electronic only" format of notes, so they'll pass out a CD with all the notes in PDF at the beginning of the quarter... but they will sell you a printed version of the notes for a moderate fee :thumbdown: . The physiology department has been the only one on the students side on this and still provides printed notes. :clap:

nkazak said:
Thanks a lot for the information, it is very helpful. Do you have any advice or pointers as to which textbooks are a must during M1?
Thanks a lot.

The only one I've found that I absolutely could not have survived without was West's Respiratory Physiology. I am, however, an Applied Physiology Student, not necessarily an M1, so I can't advise you anything in regards to anatomy, your ICM class, Histo, or epidemiology. Other texts I know many have found useful but I have done without are Langmann's Embryology, The physiology BRS (board review series), The Neuroscience book, and Vander's Renal Physiology. But then again I have been operating on a very tight budget and would have definitely preferred to have these books had I had the money... Keep your ears open for a book sale in the beginning of the year when M2's come in and sell you their texts, it's a good way to get them cheap.

Ombatay said:

Yeah, the physio dept is awesome. All the rest give us this bs about how electronic learning is 'the wave of the future' or some crap like that. I always ordered the notes, just for the sheer convenience of it, and it would cost the same per page as it would to have it printed. But yeah, in any case, get the notes because texts are minimally useful. Besides, if you ever need one, theyre pretty much always on reserve at the library.

for the current students, do you guys go to lecture regularly? or are you better off spending that time studying on your own? do you think the other students mostly go or don't go?

there was a thread on this in the allo forum & i was surprised to hear how many started to improve once they stopped going to lecture. (of course i will start out going but i'm curious what you all think after some experience)

I am interested in finding out the same!

nibrocli said:
for the current students, do you guys go to lecture regularly? or are you better off spending that time studying on your own? do you think the other students mostly go or don't go?

there was a thread on this in the allo forum & i was surprised to hear how many started to improve once they stopped going to lecture. (of course i will start out going but i'm curious what you all think after some experience)

nibrocli said:

an RFU alum once told me people only go to like 25% of their classes - mainly due to the commute given where most people choose to live (more near the city than the school) and someone else, an M2, told me that they could learn more on their own than from a live reading of some power point slides - kinda scares me, i got a lot out of lectures in undergrad, but they were not just power point slides (all words). and, the commute is gonna be an issue for me, so on those days where the weather sucks eggs i will be really inclined to stay closer to home and find a quiet local library to study in.

Yes, I am.[

QUOTE=TimmyTheWonderD]are you going to RFU this fall? :D[/QUOTE]

prazmatic - you posted elsewhere that you were on a waitlist last summer - was if for RFU? i have 1 waitlist - loyola. and, i am waiting to find out if i am even on a waitlist at USC SOM :laugh: yea, waitlists suck!

Is anyone of you guys planning on living on campus at RFU? If not, where are you planning to live and what are your reasons for not choosing to live on campus? I will be living on campus, sharing an appartment with a student.
Thanks
TimmyTheWonderD said:
are you going to RFU this fall? :D

nkazak said:
Is anyone of you guys planning on living on campus at RFU? If not, where are you planning to live and what are your reasons for not choosing to live on campus? I will be living on campus, sharing an appartment with a student.
Thanks

i am married to a musician and we have a copious amount of mammals and reptiles sharing our payment free living space, so on-campus housing is out of the ? for me! :laugh:

my commute to chicago proper is a straight shot - <30min most days, so for 3rd and 4th year my current position is not too shabby! BUT - :mad: my commute to N chicago will suck eggs! >1hour by car (probably more thanks to summer construction!) and by train >1.2hours, with three train stations and a 2 mile bike/shuttle ride involved :(

Hi Everybody,
I will be planning on living on campus and my question is whether we need a car on campus. Is there a grocery store, shopping place, or eating place nearby that one could walk to. Would it suck not having a car?
Thanks

I would totaly like to know the same thing!!!!!! Anyone from the current students has any advice?
Thanks

dark knight said:
Hi Everybody,
I will be planning on living on campus and my question is whether we need a car on campus. Is there a grocery store, shopping place, or eating place nearby that one could walk to. Would it suck not having a car?
Thanks

dark knight said:
Hi Everybody,
Thanks

I know a lot of kids who get by without a car. And some will tell you its fine, and some will admit they hate it. I personally know that if I didn't have a car here, I'd have flipped out a long time ago. There is nothing within walking distance of the school really, except maybe a naval base and a VA hospital. Besides that if you want to go somewhere to eat off campus, chances are you'll be mooching a ride off of somebody with a car. I actually know kids who use peapod for their groceries, as that's not walking distance either. You can get food on campus in the cafeterias, and it's not half bad (kitchen manager is the coolest guy who works at the school) but it gets old. Some think not having a car keeps them focused on their studies as they can't escape and find something else to do. But I think it's nice to be able to escape now and then and head down to the city.

So yes, you can survive without a car. But it would probably suck, unless you are good at making friends quickly and not afraid to ask for a lift. Think about how you are now. If you are mostly a homebody and don't spend too much time bouncing around you may be ok. If you get stir-crazy if you haven't left your abode in 4-5 hours, definitely bring a car. It's not that bad of a drive from California.

Does anyone have the link to the 2006 match list, if so, can you post it please:) Thanks!

Anyone interested in tickets to the Pearl Jam show in Chicago Wed. 5-17-06 :horns: ....I have 2 good fan club seats available.....Face value....CATCH: you have to be a Ten Club member to transfer the tickets. PM me for details.