You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ross University May 2019 class
Started by puggleperson55
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! I will be heading down in September 2019 for Vet Prep...not ideal but at least it wasn't a rejection!
May I ask -- what qualifies one for Vet Prep? I didn't apply to Ross but I've always been curious about the program. What were your stats (GPAs & test scores) like? If you'd like to PM me or not tell me at all, that's absolutely fine. Just thought I'd ask! Is Vet Prep one additional semester to their regular veterinary program or is it a whole year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Honestly I am not sure why they chose vet prep. My GPA is 3.4 and I have 20 years of vet tech experience. My GRE scores were average. I waited until the kids were older to apply to school so it would not affect them. I have an email in to them now asking why this decision was made...still waiting but I will let you know when I have an answer!
I know plenty of people in vet prep who have the experience and grades to do well in first semester and plenty of first semesters who have very little experience and average grades, so I’m not sure what their selection process is. They say the people that are chosen for vet prep usually have either little experience, below average grades, or have been out of school for an extended period of time.May I ask -- what qualifies one for Vet Prep? I didn't apply to Ross but I've always been curious about the program. What were your stats (GPAs & test scores) like? If you'd like to PM me or not tell me at all, that's absolutely fine. Just thought I'd ask! Is Vet Prep one additional semester to their regular veterinary program or is it a whole year?
This was my experience as well. I had a low GPA, average GRE scores, plenty of experience, but had been out of school for over a year. There were several -really- smart people in my VetPrep class but had been out of school for 3-5+ years. But on the other end of the spectrum there was a girl who asked what a radiograph was 4 weeks into the semester... so you do get a little bit of everything. She's gone on to be a great doctor, btw. I think the purpose of VetPrep is to ease people into things- it's a big enough shock moving to St. Kitts, and if you've been away from school for so long it's probably an even bigger shock trying to figure out how to study for vet school at the same time.I know plenty of people in vet prep who have the experience and grades to do well in first semester and plenty of first semesters who have very little experience and average grades, so I’m not sure what their selection process is. They say the people that are chosen for vet prep usually have either little experience, below average grades, or have been out of school for an extended period of time.
I really think I was put into vet prep for a couple of reasons. First of all, I am a nontraditional student with a husband and four adult kids. They probably want to see that I can be away from the family and still succeed in school. The second, I will finish undergrad in a few months but I am not as young as most students. I don't want to say that age plays a factor but at 46 years old they are definitely taking a chance on me. I am OK with vet prep and from what I hear from the four doctors that I have worked with that attended Ross, it was a great step for some of the vet students there.
May I ask -- what qualifies one for Vet Prep? I didn't apply to Ross but I've always been curious about the program. What were your stats (GPAs & test scores) like? If you'd like to PM me or not tell me at all, that's absolutely fine. Just thought I'd ask! Is Vet Prep one additional semester to their regular veterinary program or is it a whole year?
For vet prep, I feel like I heard people on here say you couldn’t get federal loans since it’s not technically PART of vet school?This was my experience as well. I had a low GPA, average GRE scores, plenty of experience, but had been out of school for over a year. There were several -really- smart people in my VetPrep class but had been out of school for 3-5+ years. But on the other end of the spectrum there was a girl who asked what a radiograph was 4 weeks into the semester... so you do get a little bit of everything. She's gone on to be a great doctor, btw. I think the purpose of VetPrep is to ease people into things- it's a big enough shock moving to St. Kitts, and if you've been away from school for so long it's probably an even bigger shock trying to figure out how to study for vet school at the same time.
For me it took about 4 weeks! Good luck with your interview!Hi everyone! I applied for September 2019, I interview next Friday!
How long did it take them to send you all decision letters?
Ag_2016
Full Member
For me it took about 4 weeks! Good luck with your interview!
Thank you! Any interview tips?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ag_2016
Full Member
I agree...it was just shy of 4 weeks when I heard back. The interview was very casual. He asked more about my family life and support system if I did attend Ross. Do not stress over it too much...you will do just fine! Good luck!
Thank you!
I actually randomly answered a call that came up as "Washington". I figured it was a sales call but answered anyway...it was the person that interviewed me. So glad I answered! I got an email about 4 days later so nothing in the mail.Once you got your acceptance did you get something in the mail? If so, how long did it take from the time you got an acceptance email?
Ps you’re in the pre-vet forum of sdn! Not human med!I am applying for May 2019, I have an interview this week. I'm excited about Barbados, but def nervous about the interview. I read that they have a conditional program for med school, but I would love to start right away at the medical school
oh crap thanks fo telling me, lol let me go find the other onePs you’re in the pre-vet forum of sdn! Not human med!
When I look at my application checklist online, it has everything listed out but the boxes next to all my classes, rec letters, etc are blank with no "green check mark". I submitted back in early September. Should I call?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Ag_2016
Full Member
For those of you who haven’t interviewed, here are some questions that I can remember from my interview this past Friday (in no particular order):
1) Why a veterinarian?
2) What are your strengths? weaknesses?
3) What are some transferable skills? (For things listed under experience that isn’t animal related)
4) How have you adjusted your study skills (if you had any struggles in under grad)
5) How did you prepare for the GRE?
6) Talk about your clinical experience.
7) What attracted you to Ross?
That’s about all I can remember, anything else was just asked based off of what you put on your application (essays, grades, etc.)
1) Why a veterinarian?
2) What are your strengths? weaknesses?
3) What are some transferable skills? (For things listed under experience that isn’t animal related)
4) How have you adjusted your study skills (if you had any struggles in under grad)
5) How did you prepare for the GRE?
6) Talk about your clinical experience.
7) What attracted you to Ross?
That’s about all I can remember, anything else was just asked based off of what you put on your application (essays, grades, etc.)
Last edited:
Could not find Ross on this list from March 2018
Is it still AVMA accredited school?
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ocuments/2018-March-Accreditation-Actions.pdf
Is it still AVMA accredited school?
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ocuments/2018-March-Accreditation-Actions.pdf
Ag_2016
Full Member
Could not find Ross on this list from March 2018
Is it still AVMA accredited school?
https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDe...ocuments/2018-March-Accreditation-Actions.pdf
I would email someone at the university to get this answer. I’m sure they are.
We are. This guy trolls every Ross post.I would email someone at the university to get this answer. I’m sure they are.
Ag_2016
Full Member
We are. This guy trolls every Ross post.
Oh wow. That’s annoying....good to know! Thanks!
This guy is just all over the forums, especially vet. Is annoying. He’s been a member for so long I can’t tell if he’s actually trying to troll or is just cluelessWe are. This guy trolls every Ross post.
I feel like procrastinating so here’s a bunch of info nobody asked for.
Common myths/misconceptions about the school:
- “People only come here because they got rejected everywhere else.” Although the school isn’t many people’s first choice, I do have classmates that chose this school over state schools (including CSU) and people who only applied here.
- “The coursework is easier than that of a state school.” Nope. It’s just as challenging. We’re AVMA accredited for a reason.
- “Ross accepts three times as many students as a state school.” Not exactly true. The average class size is around 150, but my class is the biggest size by far at 200. It’s one of the things I strongly dislike about the program.
- “The island is dangerous.” I’ve never felt unsafe while living here. The only crimes that have been reported since I’ve lived here are theft.
- “Ross over accepts because they expect people to fail out.” We have PLENTY of resources to help students to succeed. There are weekly TA sessions, cheap tutoring, and a student success center that will help you find the best way to study and stay motivated.
- “You may not be placed for clinics.” Everyone will get placed somewhere. Most state schools have spots, as well as many international schools. Where you get placed will depend on your GPA. For example, schools like CSU take students with an average of a 3.8. Others will take as low as a 2.0. Schools only have a certain number of spots per year (not per semester), so don’t have your heart set on one school because it may not even be an option once clinical year comes around.
- “Cost of living is expensive.” This depends on where you’re coming from. Rent can be anywhere from $400-$1000. There are some grocery items that are more expensive here, but for the most part, prices are the about the same as in the US.
Things I wish I would have known when applying:
- Money
The currency here is Eastern Caribbean Dollars (ECD). Most places will accept USD, but it’s better to have EC. You can set up a bank account on the island. An island account makes it easier to pay rent. Bank of America is the “sister” bank to the island one, so you won’t get charged an ATM fee on campus. They also have a travel rewards credit card that doesn’t charge an international transaction fee, plus you can get travel points for cheaper flights to and from home.
- Phone
The school will give you an SIM card that will allow you to have an island phone number to make local calls. Some people will put the SIM card in their phone, others have a separate island phone. The phone must be unlocked for the SIM card to work. The island phone isn’t a necessity, but it is convenient.
- Transportation
Without a car, there are three ways to get around: School shuttle, taxis, and buses. The school shuttle will do weekend grocery runs and will pick up and drop of students who live off campus. School approved taxis are 20EC (~$8 USD) for a round trip. Taxis will pick you up on campus and take you directly where you need to go. Buses are 2.50EC (~$1 USD) each way but stay on a route and have to be flagged down. Both taxis and buses are large vans that seat around 15 people. Most people buy a car before second semester (when we have to move off campus), but it’s possible to get around without one. Cars here are usually very old and run down but still have an expensive price tag ($3500-$8000).
- Laptop
Bringing your laptop isn’t completely necessary. You are given an iPad that you will download all your lectures and books onto. I haven’t touched my laptop since I’ve been here.
- What to pack
You can find pretty much anything you need on the island, but it may be more expensive. Pack any specific items you like to use. Seventh semester students also sell most of their things, so you can get a lot of things for cheap. They have clothes, school supplies, books, household items, etc. I would still pack scrubs, coveralls, boots, and a stethoscope. Dissection kits, notebooks, notecards, pens and pencils can all be bought from uppers.
- Pets
We have one dorm that allows cats and dogs under 35lb. They have to undergo a 30-day quarantine. Dogs are only allowed to use a small outdoor area during this time, so if you plan on bringing a dog, bring lots of enrichment items.
- Vet prep
It’s a great program, but since you’re not technically a vet student, you have to use private loans to pay for it. I personally wouldn’t spend the extra $20,000, but if you have the money, go for it. People from vet prep are well prepared for first semester and get lots of hands on experience.
Common myths/misconceptions about the school:
- “People only come here because they got rejected everywhere else.” Although the school isn’t many people’s first choice, I do have classmates that chose this school over state schools (including CSU) and people who only applied here.
- “The coursework is easier than that of a state school.” Nope. It’s just as challenging. We’re AVMA accredited for a reason.
- “Ross accepts three times as many students as a state school.” Not exactly true. The average class size is around 150, but my class is the biggest size by far at 200. It’s one of the things I strongly dislike about the program.
- “The island is dangerous.” I’ve never felt unsafe while living here. The only crimes that have been reported since I’ve lived here are theft.
- “Ross over accepts because they expect people to fail out.” We have PLENTY of resources to help students to succeed. There are weekly TA sessions, cheap tutoring, and a student success center that will help you find the best way to study and stay motivated.
- “You may not be placed for clinics.” Everyone will get placed somewhere. Most state schools have spots, as well as many international schools. Where you get placed will depend on your GPA. For example, schools like CSU take students with an average of a 3.8. Others will take as low as a 2.0. Schools only have a certain number of spots per year (not per semester), so don’t have your heart set on one school because it may not even be an option once clinical year comes around.
- “Cost of living is expensive.” This depends on where you’re coming from. Rent can be anywhere from $400-$1000. There are some grocery items that are more expensive here, but for the most part, prices are the about the same as in the US.
Things I wish I would have known when applying:
- Money
The currency here is Eastern Caribbean Dollars (ECD). Most places will accept USD, but it’s better to have EC. You can set up a bank account on the island. An island account makes it easier to pay rent. Bank of America is the “sister” bank to the island one, so you won’t get charged an ATM fee on campus. They also have a travel rewards credit card that doesn’t charge an international transaction fee, plus you can get travel points for cheaper flights to and from home.
- Phone
The school will give you an SIM card that will allow you to have an island phone number to make local calls. Some people will put the SIM card in their phone, others have a separate island phone. The phone must be unlocked for the SIM card to work. The island phone isn’t a necessity, but it is convenient.
- Transportation
Without a car, there are three ways to get around: School shuttle, taxis, and buses. The school shuttle will do weekend grocery runs and will pick up and drop of students who live off campus. School approved taxis are 20EC (~$8 USD) for a round trip. Taxis will pick you up on campus and take you directly where you need to go. Buses are 2.50EC (~$1 USD) each way but stay on a route and have to be flagged down. Both taxis and buses are large vans that seat around 15 people. Most people buy a car before second semester (when we have to move off campus), but it’s possible to get around without one. Cars here are usually very old and run down but still have an expensive price tag ($3500-$8000).
- Laptop
Bringing your laptop isn’t completely necessary. You are given an iPad that you will download all your lectures and books onto. I haven’t touched my laptop since I’ve been here.
- What to pack
You can find pretty much anything you need on the island, but it may be more expensive. Pack any specific items you like to use. Seventh semester students also sell most of their things, so you can get a lot of things for cheap. They have clothes, school supplies, books, household items, etc. I would still pack scrubs, coveralls, boots, and a stethoscope. Dissection kits, notebooks, notecards, pens and pencils can all be bought from uppers.
- Pets
We have one dorm that allows cats and dogs under 35lb. They have to undergo a 30-day quarantine. Dogs are only allowed to use a small outdoor area during this time, so if you plan on bringing a dog, bring lots of enrichment items.
- Vet prep
It’s a great program, but since you’re not technically a vet student, you have to use private loans to pay for it. I personally wouldn’t spend the extra $20,000, but if you have the money, go for it. People from vet prep are well prepared for first semester and get lots of hands on experience.
Did you apply through VMCAS? This is also happening to me. I have been anxiously awaiting to hear back from them, only to be disappointed every time I look at this. I'm extremely worried now that I see people are already getting accepted!!! I have emailed them and can let you know when they get back to me!When I look at my application checklist online, it has everything listed out but the boxes next to all my classes, rec letters, etc are blank with no "green check mark". I submitted back in early September. Should I call?
Sent from my iPhone
wildhawk24
New Member
Hey everyone,
Did anyone get an interview during October for the September 2019 semester and hear back yet?
Did anyone get an interview during October for the September 2019 semester and hear back yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you apply? I haven't heard back for an interview yet, and they said my application is still processing. I would be September 2019.Hey everyone,
Did anyone get an interview during October for the September 2019 semester and hear back yet?
wildhawk24
New Member
When did you apply? I haven't heard back for an interview yet, and they said my application is still processing. I would be September 2019.
I applied the second week of October and had my interview on October 24th. I was told it might take 4 weeks to find out or until January! I really hope that isn't the case.
Wth.. lol I applied September 17th! Mine was through VMCAS though, so maybe it takes longer through them.I applied the second week of October and had my interview on October 24th. I was told it might take 4 weeks to find out or until January! I really hope that isn't the case.
wildhawk24
New Member
Yeah! I heard it takes a bit longer through VMCAS because they are filling in seats for January and May. I hate waiting.Wth.. lol I applied September 17th! Mine was through VMCAS though, so maybe it takes longer through them.
That makes sense. So do I!!! I've heard Ross can be horrible about letting people know in a timely manner, someone I know applied for September and they didn't call her until April a few days before the deadline and they wanted her to come down for the May semester in a couple weeks!Yeah! I heard it takes a bit longer through VMCAS because they are filling in seats for January and May. I hate waiting.
ChasingMyDVM
C/O 2023!!
I applied VMCAS on like Sept 12th and just got my interview invite today!
Congrats! I just had my interview yesterday. It was the most chill interview I’ve ever hadI applied VMCAS on like Sept 12th and just got my interview invite today!
ChasingMyDVM
C/O 2023!!
I wonder how quick the send you your decision? I got accepted into SGU within three weeks of my interview.Congrats! I just had my interview yesterday. It was the most chill interview I’ve ever had
I was invited for an interview on Friday, but he didn't have any openings until Jan. 22 :/
I'm also very confused on how to join the call. The directions he sent weren't really directions and were very vague lol
Just had my interview with Ross today. It was via Skype - simply search the interviewer's name in Skype, and then video call at the specified time. He was super nice and friendly. I felt comfortable, and the questions were pretty standard (it is an open interview so they know your application details).
wildhawk24
New Member
I wonder how quick the send you your decision? I got accepted into SGU within three weeks of my interview.
Congrats!! I just got accepted to Ross September 2019!! I still can't believe it. It took about 3 weeks for me as well.
D
deleted955608
Just got an interview invite for December 12th! How fast did ya'll hear back after your interview?
It took about 4 weeks to hear back. Seemed like forever!Just got an interview invite for December 12th! How fast did ya'll hear back after your interview?
ChasingMyDVM
C/O 2023!!
Just interviewed for Ross today and Dr. Schroeder told me that I would know by the end of January a decision. They are not reviewing applications over Christmas break
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Was it a skype interview?Just interviewed for Ross today and Dr. Schroeder told me that I would know by the end of January a decision. They are not reviewing applications over Christmas break
ChasingMyDVM
C/O 2023!!
Was it a skype interview?
Yes!
SabrinamarieDVM
Full Member
Congrats! When did you interview? I interviewed dec. 3.
nari123
New Member
Thank you! I interviewed 11/16/18Congrats! When did you interview? I interviewed dec. 3.