Ross University May 2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current Ross student I can PM? I have a few questions to ask. Thanks! ;)
I just finished 2nd semester. I’d be happy to answer any questions!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Was that in a single, double, or triple? Or do you know how they might differ? I noticed they only really describe the singles on their site.
I was in a single, but I’ve been in all of them. Singles are the most common. There’s only a few doubles and even fewer triples. The doubles and triples are two stories and have a bedroom and the kitchen on the first floor and bedroom(s) and bathroom on the second. The individual rooms are much smaller than what you would get for a single and there’s virtually no living space outside the bedrooms, especially the triples.

Reactions: 1 user
What is the best way to ship stuff to the island?
I’m in first semester now and some people I know shipped through Tropical Shipping and seemed to have a good experience with them.
I decided to end up just checking additional suitcases instead of shipping due to cost/worried about everything making it okay and about customs going through everything/getting taxed. I had 5 altogether and customs was pretty chill about it, the agent just asked me if I was moving here/first trip here and let me through. That being said, they could always pull you aside and look through your stuff, it can just depend on who you get. Also, there are bag embargoes during certain times of the year so I would triple check there isn’t one before showing up at the airport and getting your extra bags turned away.

Hey everyone I had a question about students that have kids?

I am looking into applying next year around this time , my daughter will be 5 by the time I start! Can any parents give me any advice or do you all know anyone there with small children!?

Thank you in advance :)

Hey everyone I had a question about students that have kids?

I am looking into applying next year around this time , my daughter will be 5 by the time I start! Can any parents give me any advice or do you all know anyone there with small children!?

Thank you in advance :)

I don’t have kids, but I know there are several people with children. They have a prep school on campus that students and professors bring their kids to.

I don’t have kids, but I know there are several people with children. They have a prep school on campus that students and professors bring their kids to.
okay, thank you for answering!

Also I found a website that shows you a listing of the off campus housing (sknrealestate.com) is that in EC dollars or US dollars because I see some places that say 2.500 instead of 2,500?! Just wanted clarification!

Members don't see this ad :)
okay, thank you for answering!

Also I found a website that shows you a listing of the off campus housing (sknrealestate.com) is that in EC dollars or US dollars because I see some places that say 2.500 instead of 2,500?! Just wanted clarification!

Is it a larger multi bedroom apartment or house? If so, likely US. I pay about $1400 US for a one bedroom all utilities included. You can definitely find cheaper options though, there were just certain amenities I wanted, location, and I wanted to live on my own.

Is it a larger multi bedroom apartment or house? If so, likely US. I pay about $1400 US for a one bedroom all utilities included. You can definitely find cheaper options though, there were just certain amenities I wanted, location, and I wanted to live on my own.

it was a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Frigate Bay bc i need something for my daughter and I but I have found cheaper ones i was just getting confused with the period in between the numbers instead of a comma!

Any recommendations on websites I can use to look at different apartments?

it was a 2 bedroom 2 bath in Frigate Bay bc i need something for my daughter and I but I have found cheaper ones i was just getting confused with the period in between the numbers instead of a comma!

Any recommendations on websites I can use to look at different apartments?
Look at the students page or make a post of what you’re looking for. You can find something for MUCH cheaper. I pay $650 for my one bedroom across from campus. $700 if you include utilities.

Look at the students page or make a post of what you’re looking for. You can find something for MUCH cheaper. I pay $650 for my one bedroom across from campus. $700 if you include utilities.

Wow that's really good!! What is the students page?

hey guys! just got accepted for Jan 2020. how easy is it to defer my acceptance to the may 2020 class? has anyone been through this? thanks so much

hey guys! just got accepted for Jan 2020. how easy is it to defer my acceptance to the may 2020 class? has anyone been through this? thanks so much

It’s really easy, just call the admissions coordinators and have a reason ready cuz they do ask.

Does anyone know how long the break is for the students that start in May? I’m not sure if their second semester starts at the same time as the first semester for those who start in September, making it just a 2 week break.

Does anyone know how long the break is for the students that start in May? I’m not sure if their second semester starts at the same time as the first semester for those who start in September, making it just a 2 week break.
Fall break is 3 weeks this year.

Winter break is alway 3 weeks and spring and fall are usually 2 weeks.

New students are required to be on island a week before school starts for orientation.

Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has any experience with a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner moving down to the island with them? I am Looking to bring my boyfriend down to live with me from second semester and on. just wondering if anyone has any information about jobs or any information regarding this!!

I feel like procrastinating so here’s a bunch of info nobody asked for.

Common myths/misconceptions about the school:

- “People only come here because they got rejected everywhere else.” Although the school isn’t many people’s first choice, I do have classmates that chose this school over state schools (including CSU) and people who only applied here.

- “The coursework is easier than that of a state school.” Nope. It’s just as challenging. We’re AVMA accredited for a reason.

- “Ross accepts three times as many students as a state school.” Not exactly true. The average class size is around 150, but my class is the biggest size by far at 200. It’s one of the things I strongly dislike about the program.

- “The island is dangerous.” I’ve never felt unsafe while living here. The only crimes that have been reported since I’ve lived here are theft.

- “Ross over accepts because they expect people to fail out.” We have PLENTY of resources to help students to succeed. There are weekly TA sessions, cheap tutoring, and a student success center that will help you find the best way to study and stay motivated.

- “You may not be placed for clinics.” Everyone will get placed somewhere. Most state schools have spots, as well as many international schools. Where you get placed will depend on your GPA. For example, schools like CSU take students with an average of a 3.8. Others will take as low as a 2.0. Schools only have a certain number of spots per year (not per semester), so don’t have your heart set on one school because it may not even be an option once clinical year comes around.

- “Cost of living is expensive.” This depends on where you’re coming from. Rent can be anywhere from $400-$1000. There are some grocery items that are more expensive here, but for the most part, prices are the about the same as in the US.

Things I wish I would have known when applying:

- Money
The currency here is Eastern Caribbean Dollars (ECD). Most places will accept USD, but it’s better to have EC. You can set up a bank account on the island. An island account makes it easier to pay rent. Bank of America is the “sister” bank to the island one, so you won’t get charged an ATM fee on campus. They also have a travel rewards credit card that doesn’t charge an international transaction fee, plus you can get travel points for cheaper flights to and from home.

- Phone
The school will give you an SIM card that will allow you to have an island phone number to make local calls. Some people will put the SIM card in their phone, others have a separate island phone. The phone must be unlocked for the SIM card to work. The island phone isn’t a necessity, but it is convenient.

- Transportation
Without a car, there are three ways to get around: School shuttle, taxis, and buses. The school shuttle will do weekend grocery runs and will pick up and drop of students who live off campus. School approved taxis are 20EC (~$8 USD) for a round trip. Taxis will pick you up on campus and take you directly where you need to go. Buses are 2.50EC (~$1 USD) each way but stay on a route and have to be flagged down. Both taxis and buses are large vans that seat around 15 people. Most people buy a car before second semester (when we have to move off campus), but it’s possible to get around without one. Cars here are usually very old and run down but still have an expensive price tag ($3500-$8000).

- Laptop
Bringing your laptop isn’t completely necessary. You are given an iPad that you will download all your lectures and books onto. I haven’t touched my laptop since I’ve been here.

- What to pack
You can find pretty much anything you need on the island, but it may be more expensive. Pack any specific items you like to use. Seventh semester students also sell most of their things, so you can get a lot of things for cheap. They have clothes, school supplies, books, household items, etc. I would still pack scrubs, coveralls, boots, and a stethoscope. Dissection kits, notebooks, notecards, pens and pencils can all be bought from uppers.

- Pets
We have one dorm that allows cats and dogs under 35lb. They have to undergo a 30-day quarantine. Dogs are only allowed to use a small outdoor area during this time, so if you plan on bringing a dog, bring lots of enrichment items.

- Vet prep
It’s a great program, but since you’re not technically a vet student, you have to use private loans to pay for it. I personally wouldn’t spend the extra $20,000, but if you have the money, go for it. People from vet prep are well prepared for first semester and get lots of hands on experience.
Does the school provide you with scrubs, coveralls, boots or stethoscopes? Or do they want you to purchase these items before class starts?

Does the school provide you with scrubs, coveralls, boots or stethoscopes? Or do they want you to purchase these items before class starts?

Those are all items you’re responsible for (I think it’s the same for all other schools). It’s nice in that you hav selection on how much you want to spend on the items, what styles you want, etc. I do not recommend buying through the bookstore, buy off Amazon, med supply shop, etc. Also, I’m currently in third semester and have still not used my coveralls yet (for the large animal labs thus far they’ve allowed us to wear scrubs OR coveralls, in upper labs though I think they’re required). You will definitely need the boots right away though, as well as scrubs. For stethoscope, our first auscultation lab wasn’t until second but I would just go ahead and buy one.

Those are all items you’re responsible for (I think it’s the same for all other schools). It’s nice in that you hav selection on how much you want to spend on the items, what styles you want, etc. I do not recommend buying through the bookstore, buy off Amazon, med supply shop, etc. Also, I’m currently in third semester and have still not used my coveralls yet (for the large animal labs thus far they’ve allowed us to wear scrubs OR coveralls, in upper labs though I think they’re required). You will definitely need the boots right away though, as well as scrubs. For stethoscope, our first auscultation lab wasn’t until second but I would just go ahead and buy one.
Great thank you. I have most of these items already and was about to donate my old stuff. Guess I will hold onto it