Ross University May 2019 class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just interviewed for Ross today and Dr. Schroeder told me that I would know by the end of January a decision. They are not reviewing applications over Christmas break

I'm interviewing with her in a few weeks. How was your interview? Do you have any advice? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I was just accepted into the vet prep program for fall 2019, just wanted to know who else will be going there :)
Congrats! I was also accepted to vet prep for fall 2019. I am retaking the GRE in hopes of being put into first semester. I contacted admissions and they told me I could update my application any time but the decision would remain the same unless there was a change to my application. I have a great gpa and several years experience but my GRE scores could be better. Crossing my fingers!

May I ask -- what qualifies one for Vet Prep? I didn't apply to Ross but I've always been curious about the program. What were your stats (GPAs & test scores) like? If you'd like to PM me or not tell me at all, that's absolutely fine. Just thought I'd ask! Is Vet Prep one additional semester to their regular veterinary program or is it a whole year?
It usually tends to be folks that they worry will have a hard time adjusting to island life especially along with the stresses of a rigorous program. - this includes people with families (whether coming with them or being left behind) or those who have always lived at home, in one state, are borderline on grades, or have not been in school for a long time. Most of the vet preppers I know found the program super valuable and were glad they did it. Others that I know "got out of" being in vet prep and had no problems getting through school.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It usually tends to be folks that they worry will have a hard time adjusting to island life especially along with the stresses of a rigorous program. - this includes people with families (whether coming with them or being left behind) or those who have always lived at home, in one state, are borderline on grades, or have not been in school for a long time. Most of the vet preppers I know found the program super valuable and were glad they did it. Others that I know "got out of" being in vet prep and had no problems getting through school.

It actually sounds like something that would be useful for me if I did end up going the island route. A few of those circumstances apply. Is it one additional semester, or a year? That would be my only concern - the additional cost of another semester or year. I feel like one may as well go the 5-year UK route if they are able.

It actually sounds like something that would be useful for me if I did end up going the island route. A few of those circumstances apply. Is it one additional semester, or a year? That would be my only concern - the additional cost of another semester or year. I feel like one may as well go the 5-year UK route if they are able.
It’s one additional semester but the biggest drawback is that you have to use private loans. It’s a great way to get acquainted with island life though.

Congrats! I was also accepted to vet prep for fall 2019. I am retaking the GRE in hopes of being put into first semester. I contacted admissions and they told me I could update my application any time but the decision would remain the same unless there was a change to my application. I have a great gpa and several years experience but my GRE scores could be better. Crossing my fingers!

Thank you! I had no idea you could update your application anytime. Its good to know, thank you. And good luck with everything!

I was accepted into the September 2019 class!! Going to wait until I hear from some US schools before I pay my deposit but I'll most likely be going to Ross!! So excited!

Reactions: 6 users
Did those of you that interviewed already use Skype or the WebEx invite that is emailed to us at the time of the interview invitation? My first email said it’s via Skype but then I received a WebEx invite; thanks!

Did those of you that interviewed already use Skype or the WebEx invite that is emailed to us at the time of the interview invitation? My first email said it’s via Skype but then I received a WebEx invite; thanks!
Also need the answer to this lol

I got accepted to Ross for Fall 2019. I interviewed via Skype on October 8th and received my acceptance on November 6th, 2018. I am very excited, however, I'm still waiting for the rest of the U.S. decisions to come out, but since I've already received some rejections it's looking like Ross might be my new home. :)

I got accepted to Ross for Fall 2019. I interviewed via Skype on October 8th and received my acceptance on November 6th, 2018. I am very excited, however, I'm still waiting for the rest of the U.S. decisions to come out, but since I've already received some rejections it's looking like Ross might be my new home. :)
Me too!! We will most likely be classmates!

I interviewed with Skype. I’ve never heard of anyone using anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I used webex!

Was accepted to the September 2019 class this past week :cat: in the email they sent, it mentioned purchasing a new laptop, but I’ve also heard elsewhere an iPad is included as part of tuition...? Anyone know if that’s true, and if so, is it an iPad Pro? Does it come with any accessories, or do they need to be purchased before you come to the island? Thanks :)

Was accepted to the September 2019 class this past week :cat: in the email they sent, it mentioned purchasing a new laptop, but I’ve also heard elsewhere an iPad is included as part of tuition...? Anyone know if that’s true, and if so, is it an iPad Pro? Does it come with any accessories, or do they need to be purchased before you come to the island? Thanks :)
Congrats on the acceptance! When did you have your interview?? I just interviewed on the 4th of this month and the waiting is killing me!

Congrats on the acceptance! When did you have your interview?? I just interviewed on the 4th of this month and the waiting is killing me!

Thank you :cat: I interviewed Dec 18th and got a call January 15th. You may hear back sooner than I did though since my interview was just before the holidays. Good luck!! :cat:

Does anyone have any tips on using webex? I've never used it and I'm nervous I'm going to mess it up.

Were you accepted into 1st or vet prep? The school gives 1st semester 6th gen iPads with a case. If you’re in vet prep, you’ll need to bring your own laptop. It doesn’t have to be new, but it should be reliable since you’ll be using it all the time. The library also has loaner laptops if you need one.

For the iPad, you’ll need your own stylus. Most people buy the Apple Pencil, but if you’re cheap like me, any stylus works just fine. If you like to type, some people also buy keyboards, but you could use your computer instead.

Last edited:
We’re you accepted into 1st or vet prep? The school gives 1st semester 6th gen iPads with a case. If you’re in vet prep, you’ll need to bring your own laptop. It doesn’t have to be new, but it should be reliable since you’ll be using it all the time. The library also has loaner laptops if you need one.

For the iPad, you’ll need your own stylus. Most people buy the Apple Pencil, but if you’re cheap like me, any stylus works just fine. If you like to type, some people also buy keyboards, but you could use your computer instead.

Okay, great—thank you! I was accepted into 1st :)

Okay, great—thank you! I was accepted into 1st :)
No problem! I will warn you, this semester’s firsts didn’t get their iPads until the 2nd week of class, so bringing a laptop is a good idea.

I just had my interview yesterday and think it went really well! I’m excited to hear back!

I was accepted to my IS and just cancelled my interview that I had scheduled for February for the fall class, hope someone gets to interview in my place! Good luck everyone!

If you guys have any questions, I’d be happy to answer them! Ross does a big brother/sister program, so it’s possible you’ll get me!

Just got my acceptance call today!!! Interviewed dec 3rd. How long did it take everyone to receive your acceptance email and package?

Just got my acceptance call today!!! Interviewed dec 3rd. How long did it take everyone to receive your acceptance email and package?
Congrats!! I was accepted over almost 2 weeks ago and still haven't received my package. My email came like an hour after I was called.

Last edited:

I haven’t received my package yet either (accepted Jan 15), but got my email the day after my acceptance.

Accepted yesterday for the fall class! I interviewed December 13th. For those of you that have interviews approaching, be yourself! They genuinely want to get to know you and answer any of your questions in return.

Anyone know when the Facebook group for the Fall 2019 class should be set up? I know it’s kind of early still

Dumb question...

Does anyone know if you can order stuff online when you're on the island? Like does Amazon deliver to st Kitts? I would assume not, but just wanting to make sure. Husband and I are just trying to mentally gauge what all we will need to bring and what all can be bought while we are there, if that's where I end up choosing to go :)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Dumb question...

Does anyone know if you can order stuff online when you're on the island? Like does Amazon deliver to st Kitts? I would assume not, but just wanting to make sure. Husband and I are just trying to mentally gauge what all we will need to bring and what all can be bought while we are there, if that's where I end up choosing to go :)

You can have things shipped to island, but customs sometimes will charge up to half of what the items are worth. You can find just about anything on the island. Upper semesters sell loads of things, and will usually have about 99% of the things you’ll need. If you have any specific products you like to use, pack those.

Things I would recommend bringing:
Clothes (1-2 business outfits + dress/suit for white coat)
1-2 pairs of scrubs
Coveralls
Stethoscope
Extension cord
Bed sheets
Towels
Filtered water bottle/faucet filter attachment
Specific food you like (they have most things you’d find in the US)
Beauty products
Feminine products (unless you’re ok with cheap tampons)
4 months worth of prescriptions (if applicable)

Things you can buy here:
Dissection kit
Hard copy of books (you get ebooks on iPad)
Notebooks/School Supplies
Kitchen supplies (dorms and apartments have most of the things you’ll need)

Reactions: 4 users
You can have things shipped to island, but customs sometimes will charge up to half of what the items are worth. You can find just about anything on the island. Upper semesters sell loads of things, and will usually have about 99% of the things you’ll need. If you have any specific products you like to use, pack those.

Things I would recommend bringing:
Clothes (1-2 business outfits + dress/suit for white coat)
1-2 pairs of scrubs
Coveralls
Stethoscope
Extension cord
Bed sheets
Towels
Filtered water bottle/faucet filter attachment
Specific food you like (they have most things you’d find in the US)
Beauty products
Feminine products (unless you’re ok with cheap tampons)
4 months worth of prescriptions (if applicable)

Things you can buy here:
Dissection kit
Hard copy of books (you get ebooks on iPad)
Notebooks/School Supplies
Kitchen supplies (dorms and apartments have most of the things you’ll need)

This was super helpful!! Thanks for taking the time to write it out!

Anyone know anything about the "campus shuttle route?" When looking at apartments through the RUSVM site, some of them were mentioning that they're on it. I plan on buying a car once I'm on the island, but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry about it right away.

Anyone know anything about the "campus shuttle route?" When looking at apartments through the RUSVM site, some of them were mentioning that they're on it. I plan on buying a car once I'm on the island, but it would be nice if I didn't have to worry about it right away.
I asked my interviewer about it and he said that if you have the pass they will come to your apartment and pick you up. Like you don’t have to actually walk to a bus stop there’s some app or way to put your schedule In for classes and they’ll pick you up at the right time right at your home. But someone who actually lives on the island may have more info

I’ve never used it, so I can’t say much about it. I know they will come to your apartment vs. stopping at a bus stop. There’s a semesterly fee to use it, but if you’re carless and live far away, it would be worth it. I don’t have a car, but live walking distance to campus and I take the public bus to the grocery store.

I got the acceptance call from Ross!! So happy to have been admitted, but I admit I have a lot of reservations about the program. This is my first year applying and my interview was in mid December. My stats are as follows:

Cummulative GPA: 3.7
Verbal GRE: 164
Quantitative GRE: 157
Analytical Writing: 4.0
Experience in small animal clinics, zoos, wildlife rescues, and undergrad animal science programs

I haven't gotten into any US schools so far (including my IS). While I want to jump into vet school right away, the fact that Ross has a stigma as a "Caribbean vet school" makes me wonder what employers think of graduated Ross students. I'm not hearing great reviews from my coworkers at my vet clinic either, so it's making it harder and harder to be excited about going. I need some pro/con help right now. Should I go to Ross in the fall, or apply again in the next cycle and try for a US school again? (considering my stats)-- Feel free to PM me too.

I got the acceptance call from Ross!! So happy to have been admitted, but I admit I have a lot of reservations about the program. This is my first year applying and my interview was in mid December. My stats are as follows:

Experience in small animal clinics, zoos, wildlife rescues, and undergrad animal science programs

I haven't gotten into any US schools so far (including my IS). While I want to jump into vet school right away, the fact that Ross has a stigma as a "Caribbean vet school" makes me wonder what employers think of graduated Ross students. I'm not hearing great reviews from my coworkers at my vet clinic either, so it's making it harder and harder to be excited about going. I need some pro/con help right now. Should I go to Ross in the fall, or apply again in the next cycle and try for a US school again? (considering my stats)-- Feel free to PM me too.

Your stats look awesome! What is your science GPA and prerequisite GPA range among the schools of which you applied?

Your stats look awesome! What is your science GPA and prerequisite GPA range among the schools of which you applied?
they've raised slightly thanks to some easy summer classes, but when I applied they were:
Most recent: 3.71
Overall Science: 3.66
Not sure about prerequisite, but it's probably also around 3.7

I haven't gotten into any US schools so far (including my IS). While I want to jump into vet school right away, the fact that Ross has a stigma as a "Caribbean vet school" makes me wonder what employers think of graduated Ross students. I'm not hearing great reviews from my coworkers at my vet clinic either, so it's making it harder and harder to be excited about going. I need some pro/con help right now. Should I go to Ross in the fall, or apply for again in the next cycle and try for a US school again? (considering my stats)-- Feel free to PM me too.
I think with your stats you would be able to get into a state school. Have you tried doing a file review for your in state school to see what you could improve on. Your in state school is always your best option since it is the cheapest so ideally the best situation I would say is to reapply after a file review and doing things to improve your application. However, you also have to factor in the chance that you may not get accepted even after a file review due to the amount of competitive applicants.

Are you waiting on any other school in the states?

As for the stigma, I interned at a large prestigious animal hospital. About 4 of the doctors there graduated from st.george and 1 graduated from Ross. No one bats an eye or wonders if they are unqualified due to coming from an island school. In the end, a DVM is a DVM. I believe there will always be people judging but at the end of the day, Ross graduates competent vets.

It’s ultimately up to you whether or not you want to reapply. Just consider the fact that you may not get in even if you reapply, but definitely also counter in the expenses and debt you will face when selecting a school.

This probably wasn’t helpful but I wish you all the best! Good luck!

I am waiting on two schools still but won't know for a while. I only received two interviews out of 10 apps, so I recognize I may not get in next round too. It would definitely be a gamble to not attend Ross! I know no one can help make this decision but trying to populate my pro/con list from as many perspectives as possible. So far have heard a lot of cons, but they were from vets that went to school in the states who knew Ross students.

By the way, does anyone know the deadline to accept admission and put in the deposit?

The medical director at the small animal practice I've been working with for years is a Rossi and she only brags about her experiences there. She has a great relationship with her classmates to this day, and she is one of the best vets I've known.
She went before Ross was accredited, so it wasn't anywhere near as expensive, but she loved the island life and her academics. It has been quite a few years and things have changed but I would not look down on anyone for going to an island school, especially ones that churn out such qualified and awesome vets!

That being said if you can go somewhere that is less expensive I would do so!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
I am an alternate at Oregon, so if any spots open up in their program I won't know till after April. Wisconsin Madison is the other one I haven't heard from and they typically get back to people in March. My in state school is Davis, and I did land an interview so I know the issue just was not performing well enough there. Didn't receive any other interviews (applied to 10 schools total!) so I recognize I may not get in next round too. It would definitely be a gamble to not attend Ross! I know no one can help make this decision but trying to populate my pro/con list from as many perspectives as possible. So far have heard a lot of cons, but they were from vets that went to school in the states who knew Ross students.

By the way, does anyone know the deadline to accept admission and put in the deposit?
Head up! You still got a chance at Wisconsin and Oregon!

And the deadline is April 15 for all schools unless you get pulled off the waitlist after that date. Then the school will let you know when the deposit is due.