Ross University Starting May 2011

Started by chatter07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chatter07

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering who else will be starting at Ross University this upcoming May 🙂
 
I was just wondering who else will be starting at Ross University this upcoming May 🙂

I was just accepted to Ross for the may semester! Although, I am still waiting to hear from other schools first, before deciding.
 
The cool. I am waiting also for other schools to notify me. Hopefully we get into a state school, if not Ross is not a bad choice either 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone here visited the campus? If my local applications don't pay off, I'll be attempting Ross for September 2011... they're my favorite in the Caribbean at this point.
 
Anyone here visited the campus? If my local applications don't pay off, I'll be attempting Ross for September 2011... they're my favorite in the Caribbean at this point.

I'm applying for September 2011 too!
My sister is actually in the Ross Medical School on the island of Dominica. She's been really impressed with the medical facilities and the technology that they use there. As for the living situation, she really lucked out getting a good apartment, because a lot of her friends have problems with bugs, electricity going out, flooding, etc, but my sister paid a tad more for her apartment and she doesn't have trouble with any of that. It seems to me from the pictures on the Ross vet school website that St. Kitts is a bit more developed than Dominica, but I haven't actually been to either place to say for sure.
 
I have not been to the island.. but a girl I previously worked with goes there now. She loves the school and the island. From what I've heard from my interviewer, St. Kitts is much more developed than Dominica. (much safer as well)
 
Yea, I paid just the other day. What about you? I just got an email saying I had to have a round trip ticket to st kitts by feb 1. I just hope I can get some sort of insurance with the ticket, in case I end up not going there.
 
I got the same email and I'm in the same boat. I was checking flight tickets and they are expensive as hell. Lets see what happens. I still need to hear from 6 more schools.
 
Yea, I paid just the other day. What about you? I just got an email saying I had to have a round trip ticket to st kitts by feb 1. I just hope I can get some sort of insurance with the ticket, in case I end up not going there.

I'm in the same boat as both of you guys (vdrandal and chatter). I've being prolonging everything till I hear back from 2 more schools. I'm also not too thrilled about having an overnight connection from MIA to St Kitts and sleeping in the airport =(. But hey it might be fun, I'd feel like Tom Hanks in "Terminal".

Have you guys looked into the open ended tickets? I wonder how much more they cost.
 
I just looked up open ended tickets, and one website says they could be 50- 100% more money than a regular ticket. Also, do you think they would accept that... because the welcome packet I got said you need "a round trip ticket in order to comply with Kittitian immigration regulations."
 
I just looked up open ended tickets, and one website says they could be 50- 100% more money than a regular ticket. Also, do you think they would accept that... because the welcome packet I got said you need "a round trip ticket in order to comply with Kittitian immigration regulations."

I'm not sure where I read it, but they say it will work because it's still a returning ticket off the island.

I'll probably try to dig around the next few days and get more info on it. I'll let ya'll know if I find anything important =)
 
I'm in the same boat as both of you guys (vdrandal and chatter). I've being prolonging everything till I hear back from 2 more schools. I'm also not too thrilled about having an overnight connection from MIA to St Kitts and sleeping in the airport =(. But hey it might be fun, I'd feel like Tom Hanks in "Terminal".

Have you guys looked into the open ended tickets? I wonder how much more they cost.

The MIA airport is not so bad. There is a hotel inside it i believe. Im from miami. Guess its a a good since i can get a direct a flight. When do u plan to go to St. Kitts? Im thinking april 29th.
 
I will also be flying out of Miami since it is much less expensive than ft myers. I was also thinking April 29th to fly out. Maybe we will all be spending the night in the airport together.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wonder if you could bring a tent to the airport? =) I looked into the hotel at the airport and its 150 bucks a night! I found this interesting website about review on the best places to sleep airports though. I found out the Concourse F in Miami is where all the homeless people sleep...So i'll have to avoid that area.

I'm most likely flying out the 29th as well since it takes one entire day for me to get from CA to Miami.

Are any of you guys bring animals with you? I don't know if i want to submit my poor cats to the journey.
 
Does anyone know if the dorms at Ross have been reopened since they were shut down due to the mold problem? I was accepted to start Ross in May of 2011 and just talked to a friend that left the island to start clinicals in the US, she said when she left the dorms were still shut and incoming students like we will be couldnt stay there.
 
Does anyone know if the dorms at Ross have been reopened since they were shut down due to the mold problem? I was accepted to start Ross in May of 2011 and just talked to a friend that left the island to start clinicals in the US, she said when she left the dorms were still shut and incoming students like we will be couldnt stay there.

I've tried emailing them haven't received a response yet. I will call them tomorrow and see what they say.
 
I wonder if you could bring a tent to the airport? =) I looked into the hotel at the airport and its 150 bucks a night! I found this interesting website about review on the best places to sleep airports though. I found out the Concourse F in Miami is where all the homeless people sleep...So i'll have to avoid that area.

I'm most likely flying out the 29th as well since it takes one entire day for me to get from CA to Miami.

Are any of you guys bring animals with you? I don't know if i want to submit my poor cats to the journey.


I just had my interview for Ross, and it went really well and I'm thinking I might be accepted. I've been thinking that if I am accepted, I would probably not take my cat. She is absolutely AWFUL in the car (even when sedated), and the thought of subjecting her to a plane ride breaks my heart. She has a good home with my parents who love her, and as much as I will be really lonely without her, I will be busy with other things, and I just think it would be a horrific experience to bring her on a plane.
 
There's also a LOT of work to do - vaccines, certificates, quarantine, things like that - before an animal can be brought to St. Kitts from the states. It's a big fuss and, if you plan on doing it, you should start looking into the required steps asap.
 
The dorms in St. Kitts are closed?🙁 Hmm, I just got granted an interview and am scheduling it ASAP. I would really like to get in for May 2011.

How soon did you find out after the interview if you got in?

Thanks!
 
I interview next week for the May class!

I found flights from New York (JFK) that were actually cheaper than Miami and without the hassle of sleeping in the airport. I would be flying from the westcoast.

Anyone know of someone who has interviewed with Ross and not gotten in?
 
I interview next week for the May class!

I found flights from New York (JFK) that were actually cheaper than Miami and without the hassle of sleeping in the airport. I would be flying from the westcoast.

Anyone know of someone who has interviewed with Ross and not gotten in?

Mine is Feb 17th! I am excited. Mine is in Miami, which is about a 4 hour drive from where I live, so thats the current plan. 8 hours round trip is not gonna be fun, but if I get in it definitely will!😀
 
Congrats jlm and Brumley! There are a couple of us that have interviewed and gotten accepted to the May 11 semester. I'm sure you both will do great! Let us know how it goes!
 
The dorms in St. Kitts are closed?🙁 Hmm, I just got granted an interview and am scheduling it ASAP. I would really like to get in for May 2011.

How soon did you find out after the interview if you got in?

Thanks!

Hi jlm, I got my acceptance phone call about 3 weeks after my interview. They are hoping dorms will be opened by the end of April but we wont find out till the end of Feb if they will be placing us in on or off campus housing. I hope you get in so we could be classmates =)
 
I just had my interview last week in Denver.
My interviewer told me I would hear back within about 4 weeks (but I'm hoping sooner!)

I applied for the Sept 2011 start date, but am thinking I may want to switch to the May 2011. Any one know how easy or hard it is to defer to a sooner start date?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just had my interview last week in Denver.
My interviewer told me I would hear back within about 4 weeks (but I'm hoping sooner!)

I applied for the Sept 2011 start date, but am thinking I may want to switch to the May 2011. Any one know how easy or hard it is to defer to a sooner start date?

i applied for Sept 2011 as well, and in my interview, she asked me specifically if i would consider going in May. I told her that i am finishing up my master's program this semester and I have one last summer class to take first, so i would prefer the Sept start date, but that if it absolutely came down to it, I would take the May start date. So I'm sure it wouldn't be a huge deal if you wanted into the May class.
I ended up being accepted into the September class.
 
Nice to see a forum for Ross! I as accepted for the September 2011 class and am SO HAPPY. I'm waiting for a few other schools before I send in the deposit but they only gave 2 weeks to decide... so most likely will send the money by next week. Pretty nervewracking.

Not so bad having a gorgeous tropical island paradise as a backup tho =) Nice to meet you all!
 
I got a call saying I was in for the September class, but if I wanted I could also attend in May since there was still room. Im thinking that will likely be too soon for me, but it sounds like there is still room in May for those interested. Also, they gave me to two weeks to decide and give a deposit, but I havent received the official letter in the mail which I was told was coming. You have two weeks from when you recieve that letter is that correct?
 
Ross U is some what my first choice, even thought some said I should apply to Guelph first becuase it would cheaper cause of how my local government handles the post secondary education.

Going Ross would me I would be changing my life in a big way and I would come back ready to start a new stage in my life. since Ross U final year has you internship/practical in the USA teaching hospitals I feel that Ross U would give me a complete education background.

I know many vets have gone to Guelph I am not sure if I will get accepted since they only accept about 100 students each year.

but now I think I probably should apply to them all and build the best education I can.
 
I got a call saying I was in for the September class, but if I wanted I could also attend in May since there was still room. Im thinking that will likely be too soon for me, but it sounds like there is still room in May for those interested. Also, they gave me to two weeks to decide and give a deposit, but I havent received the official letter in the mail which I was told was coming. You have two weeks from when you recieve that letter is that correct?

Yup you have 2 weeks from when you receive the letter. But I don't know how they would know when exactly you receive it though =) I think you should go for May...I mean you'll get to hang out with all of us...You'll get done a semester sooner...You'll get to spend the summer on St. Kitts...Just a thought =)
 
Has anyone gotten their airline ticket yet? I have really been procrastinating, but I am planning on purchasing mine very soon. I'm wondering if anyone purchased insurance with theirs and how the insurance works if you cancel. 😕
 
I got a call saying I was in for the September class, but if I wanted I could also attend in May since there was still room.

No wonder I keep getting so many emails from them. It's so tempting to go ahead and apply but, it's not really one of my top choices. But, still, congrats to all of you 😀
 
Have to ask, anyone else concerned about the crime down there? I think it is over exaggerated a bit online, but I also don't think its the safest place in the world. If I get in it will be the one thing that I have to think twice about.

Anyone else?
 
I have never been to the island but have spoken through email to current + previous students. Yes the crime is a bit exaggerated. Don't walk around at 1 am drunk by yourself and lock all of your windows. I think if you follow
these two basic rules you should be okay.
I grew up in NY, so I am used to always following those two rules anyway.
 
Hi there, I'm a 1st semester Ross student. First of all I'd just like to say congrats to you all! I was so thrilled when I got my acceptance phone call, so I can imagine how excited you all are right now. It's a whirlwind of vaccines, documents and deposits from there, though, so be prepared.

As far as the dorms reopening, I'm sorry but I don't know when they will be doing that. I can tell you that we see the construction guys out there every day, though, so they're definitely trying to get it done as soon as possible. If they don't open before you move down here, don't panic. My semester had to arrange apartments before coming down and the off-campus housing department was fantastic with helping us get everything done. It is, however, a rather expensive alternative as you have to make your deposit and first month's rent prior to coming down. Between that and the $1,000 deposit and the plane ticket, I was hurting for cash by the time I finally made it down here, so PLAN AHEAD!

Once you get here your orientation week will be fantastic. You are assigned an orientation leader to take you around, get your bank deposits, student IDs, driver's licenses, and a few trips to the beach and restaurants besides. Ross takes care of their incoming students and tries to make their transition as smooth as possible.

Have to ask, anyone else concerned about the crime down there? I think it is over exaggerated a bit online, but I also don't think its the safest place in the world. If I get in it will be the one thing that I have to think twice about.

Anyone else?

It is exaggerated. The worst I've heard about since I got here is cars being broken into (batteries stolen, mostly). It also depends on where you live. The closer to campus, the more students with things like iPods and laptops, the higher the likelihood of break ins. I live on Monkey Hill about 10-15 minutes away from campus and I feel completely safe here. A girl further down the hill had teenage boys following her home or attempting to stop her on her way to school and wound up moving closer to where we're at now. It all depends, there are good and bad neighborhoods, like anywhere else. But no one has been attacked with a machete yet, so relax. 😉

The thing you have to realize is that as developed as St. Kitts is compared to places like Dominica or even Nevis, it is still technically a 3rd world country. My roommates and I listen to local radio on our way to/from school and the other day we heard about a "generous donation" of a laptop to a local school. Think about the computer labs we had in high school and compare that to an entire class sharing one laptop. Most Kittitians do consider us rich. Just be conscious of sensitive things like race and socioeconomic status and don't come down here with an ethnocentric attitude. You're studying in another country for a little over two years, so take that opportunity to learn something about another culture.
 
Last edited:
Have to ask, anyone else concerned about the crime down there? I think it is over exaggerated a bit online, but I also don't think its the safest place in the world. If I get in it will be the one thing that I have to think twice about.

Anyone else?

I have a friend there currently who says the crime and people are pretty bad. It was one of the major reasons deterring me from applying there in the first place. I don't think it's absolute chaos or anything but some of the stories I've heard (from someone who experienced them, not just someone random online!) were just...not pleasant.
 
I have a friend there currently who says the crime and people are pretty bad. It was one of the major reasons deterring me from applying there in the first place. I don't think it's absolute chaos or anything but some of the stories I've heard (from someone who experienced them, not just someone random online!) were just...not pleasant.

I'd actually be really interested to know what they have experienced, particularly to say that the "people" are bad. The people here are very conservative; you can be arrested for swearing in public and you are not allowed to wear tank tops or anything revealing your shoulders or low-cut into government buildings. They do not respect students who get drunk and make fools of themselves by being loud and vulgar in public, as many of them do at the bars on weekends.

However, at the grocery store, at the movie theater, my mechanic, the ladies at the insurance bureau and everyone else I've met has been very polite and helpful as long as they are shown respect and kindness.

Don't just take my word for it. Many Ross students are now blogging about their experiences down here. Here's the link to mine: http://mydvmvacation.blogspot.com/
 
That is great to hear. I do have a friend living down there now, so also got a first hand experience. I did some more research and it sounds like the frigate area near the marriot is the nicest and safest. I know it pricier, but I will spend the extra to be safe. I have decided that if I do get accepted that I will be going. I am a paranoid person by nature, so I think I will be fine and take all the proper cautions.

It is nice to hear from people living down there. I hope I get in! My interview is on Thursday! 😀

Funny thing is I hadn't even looked a pictures of the island until this week and o wow it is a gorgeous place!
 
Hey guys! Congrats to all of you who have gotten in so far!

I work with three veterinarians here in southern california, and they said they loved Ross! They told me they felt more prepared than other in state students and that living in St. Kitts wasn't bad at all. The vet's actually adopted a couple pets from St. Kitts and moved back here with them!

On a side note, I have my interview next week, and was wondering what type of questions would be asked. I didnt see a list for Ross under the 'read before you interview' section. Are they behavioral based questions? Open or closed file? The person that will be interviewing me asked me to bring a resume of work experience, did you guys have to do that too?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My interview mainly focused on what in my life had prepared me for moving to another country; my adaptability, etc. They'll also ask you what, beyond being a vet, you see yourself doing in the future, so have something in mind. You'll be asked about any classes you didn't do so well in, why you didn't do well and what you did to overcome the problem.

Good luck!
 
Be prepared to sell yourself. The interviewer gives you a chance to "tell the interview committee anything" - don't pass this up!

Worked for me!!!! Just found out yesterday that I'm in for the May class!!!!!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:
 
Be prepared to sell yourself. The interviewer gives you a chance to "tell the interview committee anything" - don't pass this up!

Worked for me!!!! Just found out yesterday that I'm in for the May class!!!!!
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

YAY!! I had my interview today and hopefully what I said will get me in as well!

Congrats!! I am now in the waiting pattern!
 
Congrats! See you in May! And of course if you or any other future Rossie has any questions, feel free to PM me.