Ross University Starting May 2011

Started by chatter07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There are a lot of VIPs (significant others, spouses, children) down here, but unfortunately the job situation is very true. Also there are laws down here about who can work and who can't. I think it's something like one per household due to job scarcity, and they count your student loans as income, or something. I'm fuzzy on that one because my husband stayed back home, so I didn't look into it too thoroughly.

Some VIPs do get jobs with the university, usually in the school on campus for students' children.


Ah, that's too bad about the job situation. I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I guess living on an island gives family a really good excuse to come visit, though. 🙂
 
There are a lot of VIPs (significant others, spouses, children) down here, but unfortunately the job situation is very true. Also there are laws down here about who can work and who can't. I think it's something like one per household due to job scarcity, and they count your student loans as income, or something. I'm fuzzy on that one because my husband stayed back home, so I didn't look into it too thoroughly.

Some VIPs do get jobs with the university, usually in the school on campus for students' children.

If you don't mind me picking your brain about Ross I have a few questions if you don't mind answering. Do you get alot of hands on experience your first year?? Do you find living in St Kitts hard?? As far as living arrangements, I know for the first year you have to live on campus, are you allowed to stay in on campus housing throughout your time there or do you have to move off campus after a certain amount of time?? How do you find the crime to be?? Where would be the safest place to live if you need to move?? OK I guess I'll quit LOL Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions!!! Any other info that you think of is greatly appreciated as well!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I got the call! I was accepted into the Vet Prep for September 2011 and wait listed for May.

I am very okay with this decision. My undergrad GPA is horrible(below a 3.0). I do not even know what my overall science GPA is, but thats not fantastic. I am taking O chem and bio 2 right now to help out. I have "A"s in both. I figure instead of keeping taking classes here. I might as well do the Vet Prep and get in that way! An extra 3 months on the island shouldn't be too bad!

I am really happy! YAY!:soexcited:
 
Well I got the call! I was accepted into the Vet Prep for September 2011 and wait listed for May.
:soexcited:

Congratulations! SO when would you know if you have to get down there for May?
Did they tell you what the Vet prep program entailed?
 
Congratulations! SO when would you know if you have to get down there for May?
Did they tell you what the Vet prep program entailed?

I don't know when I would know about may. I am hoping soon. If its too late, I am not sure I will be able to get everything done in time. I have two horses that I have to find places for and my BF has to find a place to live since we live at the barn I manage and also need to let my boss have enough time to replace me etc etc etc...

Here are the details that I found on the web site. I will know more once I get all my information in the mail.

http://www.rossu.edu/veterinary-school/academics/vetprep.cfm
 
If you don't mind me picking your brain about Ross I have a few questions if you don't mind answering. Do you get alot of hands on experience your first year?? Do you find living in St Kitts hard?? As far as living arrangements, I know for the first year you have to live on campus, are you allowed to stay in on campus housing throughout your time there or do you have to move off campus after a certain amount of time?? How do you find the crime to be?? Where would be the safest place to live if you need to move?? OK I guess I'll quit LOL Thanks so much for taking the time to answer these questions!!! Any other info that you think of is greatly appreciated as well!!!

You do get a lot of hands on experience your first year. In our anatomy class we have a large and small animal palpation component where we are working with live animals, feeling structures, learning how to do a physical exam, auscultation, etc.

The first SEMESTER you live on campus, not the first year! Keep in mind that we have 3 semesters per year, so you'd only be living in the dorms for 4 months or so. You cannot live in the dorms past your 1st year. As far as if living on St. Kitts is hard, that will vary from individual to individual. There are some people here who do nothing but complain since the moment they step foot off the plane. Myself, I kind of love it here. It is a lot different than living in the states, though, so how you'll react is dependent on how adaptable you are.

I live in Monkey Hill/Cedar Grove right now and I find it to be very safe. My next door neighbor is a former police officer and the house across and to the left of me are both families with young children. Bird Rock also appears to be very safe. I heard a lot about how "safe" Frigate Bay was before I moved down here, but: A.) It's ridiculously expensive. Like $800+ US/month for a 1 bedroom. B.) The most break-ins since I've moved down here have all been in Frigate Bay, including two into faculty homes.

As far as crime goes, 99% of it is petty theft. Laptops, cash, etc. stolen while students are away during the day or over break. There is some violent crime, but honestly, your chances of being assaulted with a weapon down here aren't any greater than back home. Lock your doors, make sure you get a place that has been approved by off-campus housing with security bars on the door and windows, and you will be fine.
 
You do get a lot of hands on experience your first year. In our anatomy class we have a large and small animal palpation component where we are working with live animals, feeling structures, learning how to do a physical exam, auscultation, etc.

The first SEMESTER you live on campus, not the first year! Keep in mind that we have 3 semesters per year, so you'd only be living in the dorms for 4 months or so. You cannot live in the dorms past your 1st year. As far as if living on St. Kitts is hard, that will vary from individual to individual. There are some people here who do nothing but complain since the moment they step foot off the plane. Myself, I kind of love it here. It is a lot different than living in the states, though, so how you'll react is dependent on how adaptable you are.

I live in Monkey Hill/Cedar Grove right now and I find it to be very safe. My next door neighbor is a former police officer and the house across and to the left of me are both families with young children. Bird Rock also appears to be very safe. I heard a lot about how "safe" Frigate Bay was before I moved down here, but: A.) It's ridiculously expensive. Like $800+ US/month for a 1 bedroom. B.) The most break-ins since I've moved down here have all been in Frigate Bay, including two into faculty homes.

As far as crime goes, 99% of it is petty theft. Laptops, cash, etc. stolen while students are away during the day or over break. There is some violent crime, but honestly, your chances of being assaulted with a weapon down here aren't any greater than back home. Lock your doors, make sure you get a place that has been approved by off-campus housing with security bars on the door and windows, and you will be fine.

Thank you so much for replying. If I may ask you to elaborate on what you mean by "living here is different." Would you mind telling me what is different?? Do you find the professors to be accessible?? Could you tell me what a typical day would be like for you??

I really appreciate your time!!! Thank you sooo much!!!
 
Thank you so much for replying. If I may ask you to elaborate on what you mean by "living here is different." Would you mind telling me what is different?? Do you find the professors to be accessible?? Could you tell me what a typical day would be like for you??

I really appreciate your time!!! Thank you sooo much!!!

Different in that over 95% of the population here is black, so if you are white, Asian, etc. you will be in a very small minority. Of course the food is different but not so much, and you can get virtually all of your favorite foods from back home. I love Indian food and one of the best Indian restaurants I've ever eaten at is located here. The accent can be hard to understand at times. But mostly what is different is your reliance on instant gratification like fast food and Wal-mart. Such things don't exist here, and most places close by 6pm and NOTHING is open on Sundays, so you have to learn to be patient. The professors are very accessible and hold regular office hours and often stay 10 minutes or so after class to answer questions.

My typical day starts at 6am. I get ready and leave the house around 7:00. Classes start at 8:00 and we have a lunch break from 12-1pm and then class until 3pm (this is 1st semester, I don't know about the others). After class you can run by the grocery store if need be, then go home, make dinner and study. Weekends usually involve going to the beach, playing volleyball, seeing a movie or going to "the strip" at night, as well as TA sessions that are optional but can help with classes you might be struggling with.