Ross University Starting May 2011

Started by chatter07
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just to be clear about the tuition - on its webpage, Ross lists tuition by semester - roughly 15k for each of the the first 7 semesters, and then 18k for the last three. Are there 2 or 3 semesters per year? Is the $45k just the cost of tuition, or of tuition plus living expenses?

$45,000 is just tuition, and you're right, it goes up semesters 8-10. How much extra you take out depends on your preferences and how tight a budget you want to live on. For example, my rent is $650/month and I live in a really nice 3 bedroom house in Cedar Grove. Some students pay for the "luxury" of Frigate Bay upwards of $1,300/month for one person's share of the rent. Frankly, more break-ins/incidents have happened in Frigate Bay and Halfmoon Bay since I arrived here than anywhere else, and the students I know who live there right now have bad bug problems.
 
Eek. Ok I take back my $ comment. I read that link totally wrong. I thought it was $15k per year tuition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations to Ross on being accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association!

When it is all said and done, all Ross students do their clinical year with US students. Cornell, Penn, Auburn, NCSU, Michigan, etc.. the staff from all of these schools determine if the students graduate from clinics. After students make if through their first 7 semester, Ross no longer determines if the student will pass. All students complete the same pre clinical coursework before they enter clinics. The Ross students that were at my school for clinics were great students, very proficient and more than prepared!

All I have to say is well deserved and keep up the GREAT work!
 
wow. Thats all I have to say about the post before TTs. Also, I think you meant "American Veterinary Association"

Oops! Maybe you should contact the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) and let them know that they have named their association incorrectly.
 
Oops! Maybe you should contact the AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) and let them know that they have named their association incorrectly.

Sick Burn!

tumblr_lgnhknXR0D1qbb4bpo1_500.png
 
So I recently went to a pre-vet club meeting where a veterinarian was talking about getting into vet school and she was very anti-Ross because she said a friend of hers goes there and he said the cost of living is outrageous! That the price of food and such is so much higher due to the fact that it is an island. I was just wondering for people that go there, or people that have researched it...how does the cost of living there compare to the U.S. For things like food, toiletries, etc.
 
So I recently went to a pre-vet club meeting where a veterinarian was talking about getting into vet school and she was very anti-Ross because she said a friend of hers goes there and he said the cost of living is outrageous! That the price of food and such is so much higher due to the fact that it is an island. I was just wondering for people that go there, or people that have researched it...how does the cost of living there compare to the U.S. For things like food, toiletries, etc.

Many prices are higher. It's an island and, much like Hawaii, a lot things have to be imported. Locally sustainable things, however, like chicken, beef, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables are very affordable. Canned goods, however, particularly luxury items like junk food, are quite pricey. For example, Oreos are around $19 EC, which is about $7 US.

Seems a silly reason to be anti-Ross, though. I wonder if she's also anti-UoH?
 
Seems a silly reason to be anti-Ross, though. I wonder if she's also anti-UoH?

Ummm....isn't UoH a prevet program, not a vet school? And cost should be a realistic consideration for vet students that have to foot their own bill and aren't independently wealthy. COA comes up as part of the discussion for nearly every where/why apply/attend thread.
 
Ummm....isn't UoH a prevet program, not a vet school? And cost should be a realistic consideration for vet students that have to foot their own bill and aren't independently wealthy. COA comes up as part of the discussion for nearly every where/why apply/attend thread.

Are you bound and determined to take everything I say offensively? I did not say UoH was a vet program, they do however off PhD programs (another 4 year program) and are also an island-based university. However, I doubt anyone would say they were "anti-UoH" due to the cost of groceries. It seems to me like more nit-picking, attempting to find things wrong with Ross.

As I stated earlier, staple groceries do not cost a ridiculous amount of money because they can be produced locally. Luxury items such as chips, pop and snacks do, so unless you think that it's impossible to live without those things, I would never assume that they should be figured into the cost of attendance.
 
Are you bound and determined to take everything I say offensively? I did not say UoH was a vet program, they do however off PhD programs (another 4 year program) and are also an island-based university. However, I doubt anyone would say they were "anti-UoH" due to the cost of groceries. It seems to me like more nit-picking, attempting to find things wrong with Ross.

As I stated earlier, staple groceries do not cost a ridiculous amount of money because they can be produced locally. Luxury items such as chips, pop and snacks do, so unless you think that it's impossible to live without those things, I would never assume that they should be figured into the cost of attendance.

Welcome to the board.

Meet sumstorm.

She will argue with you when you say water is wet.

Because she is 400 years old and has 9 Doctoral degrees in water studies.

892_bIGl4lvP.jpg
 
Play nice, you guys.

Someone that went to Ross said that milk is actually hard to get - you have to get it on a certain day of the week, usually. That made me a bit sad. Also, shopping for clothes that aren't touristy is difficult, not that it would be an issue or anything.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Many prices are higher. It's an island and, much like Hawaii, a lot things have to be imported. Locally sustainable things, however, like chicken, beef, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables are very affordable. Canned goods, however, particularly luxury items like junk food, are quite pricey. For example, Oreos are around $19 EC, which is about $7 US.

Seems a silly reason to be anti-Ross, though. I wonder if she's also anti-UoH?

Thanks for the input! Before I had gone to that meeting I had never heard anything "negative" about Ross since I had only gone to a presentation put on by Ross. I personally think that is def something to consider though...I am going to be hurting for money enough without food and other stuff being pricier than it is in the states. Not that I am being negative towards the school I just think it is just another thing to consider.
 
Thanks for the input! Before I had gone to that meeting I had never heard anything "negative" about Ross since I had only gone to a presentation put on by Ross. I personally think that is def something to consider though...I am going to be hurting for money enough without food and other stuff being pricier than it is in the states. Not that I am being negative towards the school I just think it is just another thing to consider.

It's cool. The way most of us figure it, we're already in debt up to our eyeballs, so groceries are the least of our problems.

TT: I heard the same thing, but I've only ever gotten to the store and they've been out of milk once. And I didn't check the other two grocery stores, so I can't be sure they were out, too. I haven't tried clothes shopping, but I've picked up a few "touristy" things because they're pretty (lots of color and sparkles). There are some department stores that sell clothes, but I haven't been in them.
 
Welcome to the board.
Meet sumstorm.
She will argue with you when you say water is wet.
Because she is 400 years old and has 9 Doctoral degrees in water studies.

I actually wasn't nit picking, and I wasn't actually sure that they didn't have some program that I didn't know about like the program Utah is trying to set up. So it was an actual question. Just as the question about tuition was an actual question.

You are upset when I respond to questions, you are upset when I ask questions, and you are so busy presuming that I have the same attitude that you have, that you don't even bother to wonder for a moment whether I am actually asking so that I have enough information to share with the pre-vets I talk to outside of SDN. When a friend, or a friend's relative asks, I like to be able to say 'well, Ross is an option, it isn't the cheapest vet school, but it isn't the most expensive option (if that is true.) Here's a run down of what I've heard (and I have actually heard plenty of good things) and the concerns I've heard.' Then, if they are really interested, pop on here to see if I can get an email for them. I guess that is wrong, or it just isn't such great foder for your mocking, which seems to be what you are best at.

I get why so many of the vet students stop posting to the list at all as soon as they are in vet school; serve thier needs and move on.
 
Last edited:
I get why so many of the vet students stop posting to the list at all as soon as they are in vet school; serve thier needs and move on.

🙁 Sad but true. Once you get to vet school it seems like there's lots less time to put up with people just trying to be clever at the expense of others. This forum has taken a turn for the worse in the last year or so, sadly enough. Would hate to see that continue.
 
Which kind of centipedes?

The Indiana Jones, Temple of Doom kind?

That might be the closest thing to a dealbreaker in this thread.

I assume St. Kitts and Grenada have similar centipedes which are like these: http://sapedia.gosaints.org/images/3/3e/Chilopoda.jpg

In my (nearly) three years of living in Grenada, I've only seen a handful of them. The other night I was studying and one nearly attacked me but most of the time they are already dead when I find them. They also have millipedes here which I've seen more often.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
$45,000 is just tuition, and you're right, it goes up semesters 8-10. How much extra you take out depends on your preferences and how tight a budget you want to live on. For example, my rent is $650/month and I live in a really nice 3 bedroom house in Cedar Grove. Some students pay for the "luxury" of Frigate Bay upwards of $1,300/month for one person's share of the rent. Frankly, more break-ins/incidents have happened in Frigate Bay and Halfmoon Bay since I arrived here than anywhere else, and the students I know who live there right now have bad bug problems.


I red this as BED bugs at first and shivered haha. Bed bugs would def be nastier!
 
Does anyone happen to know how big the class sizes are? I can't find it on their website or in the archives. Also, does anyone know of people who have been rejected from Ross?
 
Does anyone happen to know how big the class sizes are? I can't find it on their website or in the archives. Also, does anyone know of people who have been rejected from Ross?

My class started out 139 this January and is down to 136 as of this week. By the way, you hear a lot about the attrition rate at Ross, and most of it is unflattering. I've even heard some people say that Ross deliberately accepts students that they know will fail out in order to get one semester's tuition out of them. :uhno:

There's a lot of reasons for why so many people wash out. One girl who is leaving today decided that she just didn't want to go to school for another four years and was done with academia. Coming to Ross to realize it was an expensive lesson to learn, but ultimately I think she'll be happier.

But anyway, despite the large class sizes we do get one on one time with our professors by asking them questions after class, meeting with them during office hours, email, etc. We also have between 2-5 TAs per class that hold weekly sessions to review material. Honestly, before I came down here I kept hearing that "Ross doesn't care about the students" and "once you're down here you're on your own, the university doesn't help you." Bullhockey. I've received more help with my studies here than at any point in undergrad.
 
But anyway, despite the large class sizes we do get one on one time with our professors by asking them questions after class, meeting with them during office hours, email, etc. We also have between 2-5 TAs per class that hold weekly sessions to review material. Honestly, before I came down here I kept hearing that "Ross doesn't care about the students" and "once you're down here you're on your own, the university doesn't help you." Bullhockey. I've received more help with my studies here than at any point in undergrad.

Thank you for posting this! I think more happy Ross students should be letting others know stuff like this.
 
My class started out 139 this January and is down to 136 as of this week. By the way, you hear a lot about the attrition rate at Ross, and most of it is unflattering. I've even heard some people say that Ross deliberately accepts students that they know will fail out in order to get one semester's tuition out of them. :uhno:

There's a lot of reasons for why so many people wash out. One girl who is leaving today decided that she just didn't want to go to school for another four years and was done with academia. Coming to Ross to realize it was an expensive lesson to learn, but ultimately I think she'll be happier.

But anyway, despite the large class sizes we do get one on one time with our professors by asking them questions after class, meeting with them during office hours, email, etc. We also have between 2-5 TAs per class that hold weekly sessions to review material. Honestly, before I came down here I kept hearing that "Ross doesn't care about the students" and "once you're down here you're on your own, the university doesn't help you." Bullhockey. I've received more help with my studies here than at any point in undergrad.

Thanks for the info Jules! I'm hoping I'll be accepted for Sept 2011. 🙂
 
Thanks for all this great information, Jules! I will likely be applying to Ross at some point in the future, and it's nice to hear something positive about the school. I'm wondering, do many students bring their significant others/families with them to St. Kitts? I know the Ross website says there aren't many jobs available for significant others, but I'm curious if any of them actually manage to make money to support themselves down there. I would want my boyfriend to come with me if I got accepted.

Also, does anyone know where to find a list of the average GPA/GRE scores for incoming students at Ross? I don't think the website has it listed, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.
 
Thanks for all this great information, Jules! I will likely be applying to Ross at some point in the future, and it's nice to hear something positive about the school. I'm wondering, do many students bring their significant others/families with them to St. Kitts? I know the Ross website says there aren't many jobs available for significant others, but I'm curious if any of them actually manage to make money to support themselves down there. I would want my boyfriend to come with me if I got accepted.

There are a lot of VIPs (significant others, spouses, children) down here, but unfortunately the job situation is very true. Also there are laws down here about who can work and who can't. I think it's something like one per household due to job scarcity, and they count your student loans as income, or something. I'm fuzzy on that one because my husband stayed back home, so I didn't look into it too thoroughly.

Some VIPs do get jobs with the university, usually in the school on campus for students' children.
 
There are a lot of VIPs (significant others, spouses, children) down here, but unfortunately the job situation is very true. Also there are laws down here about who can work and who can't. I think it's something like one per household due to job scarcity, and they count your student loans as income, or something. I'm fuzzy on that one because my husband stayed back home, so I didn't look into it too thoroughly.

Some VIPs do get jobs with the university, usually in the school on campus for students' children.

What's the final verdict on bringing pets down there?

We were speculating in another thread, but I don't think there was an actual conclusion.
 
Thanks for all this great information, Jules! I will likely be applying to Ross at some point in the future, and it's nice to hear something positive about the school. I'm wondering, do many students bring their significant others/families with them to St. Kitts? I know the Ross website says there aren't many jobs available for significant others, but I'm curious if any of them actually manage to make money to support themselves down there. I would want my boyfriend to come with me if I got accepted.

Also, does anyone know where to find a list of the average GPA/GRE scores for incoming students at Ross? I don't think the website has it listed, but maybe I didn't look hard enough.

If you like them on facebook, they have answered this question many times on there. Anyways, average GPA is 3.0 and average GRE is 1100.

I am still anxiously awaiting to hear if I get in or not. :whistle::scared:
 
What's the final verdict on bringing pets down there?

We were speculating in another thread, but I don't think there was an actual conclusion.

Several people that I know have brought their pets down with them. Two people on the plane with me brought their dogs, which looked to be lab or retriever mixes. Again, not something I looked into because I don't have anything other than geckos back home. I think there is a weight restriction on dogs, though I'm not sure. And there's definitely a breed restriction on pits for sure, maybe the other usual suspects (rotties, shepherds, chows, etc.) as well. Sorry I can't be of more help.
 
There's a pretty specific process you have to follow with vaccinations, titers, quarantine, etc. that needs to be started something like 6 months before you plan to bring the pet over? I may be confusing this with the protocol for taking a pet to Edinburgh or whatever, but I do think it's similar.
 
Several people that I know have brought their pets down with them. Two people on the plane with me brought their dogs, which looked to be lab or retriever mixes. Again, not something I looked into because I don't have anything other than geckos back home. I think there is a weight restriction on dogs, though I'm not sure. And there's definitely a breed restriction on pits for sure, maybe the other usual suspects (rotties, shepherds, chows, etc.) as well. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Christ on a crutch. Those centipedes are more threatening than a pit.

It's frustrating to have to cross an entire school off such a short overall list based on a breed law.
 
Dsmoody, be careful with that one - there are other places with similar breed laws. I think Fort Collins is one, for example. Make sure you do some careful research there if that's especially important to you.

On the plus side, I know that Stillwater has no such laws, so you can still apply to OKSU. I know you were planning on applying here, right, right?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dsmoody, be careful with that one - there are other places with similar breed laws. I think Fort Collins is one, for example. Make sure you do some careful research there if that's especially important to you.

On the plus side, I know that Stillwater has no such laws, so you can still apply to OKSU. I know you were planning on applying here, right, right?

It's an aggravating state of affairs. In some places, they're content if you have an extra bit of insurance, or muzzle in public.

Other places it's just jihad. Like Boston, and Denver. Ugh.

I've had these guys for 7 years, and we move from time to time, so I'm getting used to the different degrees of legislation. But it does suck to have to completely write a school off the list because of some arbitrary laws.

I've heard many nice things about Oklahoma. I think there would be many worse places to end up. Like on some dog-racist island with outer space bugs.
 
when i visited penn, they spoke a lot about pits and seem really pit-friendly. we have a staffordshire here and she's registered as a "boxer mix" because our town - winthrop, ma - has BSL. it was definitely something i had to take into consideration when applying to ross.
 
There's a pretty specific process you have to follow with vaccinations, titers, quarantine, etc. that needs to be started something like 6 months before you plan to bring the pet over? I may be confusing this with the protocol for taking a pet to Edinburgh or whatever, but I do think it's similar.

Yup, I do know that much. There is no rabies or Felv on the island, so they are pretty strict about vaccine records and titers.

Christ on a crutch. Those centipedes are more threatening than a pit.

It's frustrating to have to cross an entire school off such a short overall list based on a breed law.

I know, but just remember, it's the local government not the school that decides what animals can be imported or not. It's kind of ridiculous, because there certainly are pit bulls here. But the overall environment toward how the locals treat their animals here is not one that I want to see a huge influx of pits, anyway. People let their dogs run wild and generally don't vaccinate or use flea/tick treatment. Collars consist of a piece of rope tied around their neck. It's the sort of place where dog fighting would thrive.