-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Ross University Starting May 2011
Started by chatter07
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
As of this moment, they're not accredited. The AVMA visited this January, so they're hoping to receive accreditation by April or May of this year.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
And you have to pay a ridic amount of money to take US testing to be able to practice here 🙁 I met a woman who graduated from a US accredited school and said even she probably wouldn't pass, that hard!
And you have to pay a ridic amount of money to take US testing to be able to practice here 🙁 I met a woman who graduated from a US accredited school and said even she probably wouldn't pass, that hard!
Where is "here"? Because every future vet has to take the NAVLE, which costs $550, and the PAVE (the additional exam most Rossies take) costs $800. But if you're talking about someone who graduated from an AVMA-accredited school, it was probably the NAVLE, and just being accredited doesn't mean that a particular school has high pass rates. Ross actually cut ties with one of the accredited schools in the U.S. because the students who completed their clinical year there weren't passing the NAVLE in sufficient numbers.
@ Chatter07, does that mean all of the dorms have been reopened? Or just that particular hall?
yes all the dorm rooms are open for the May term 🙂
Where is "here"? Because every future vet has to take the NAVLE, which costs $550, and the PAVE (the additional exam most Rossies take) costs $800. But if you're talking about someone who graduated from an AVMA-accredited school, it was probably the NAVLE, and just being accredited doesn't mean that a particular school has high pass rates. Ross actually cut ties with one of the accredited schools in the U.S. because the students who completed their clinical year there weren't passing the NAVLE in sufficient numbers.
I think (?) maybe what AngSchmange was referring to was the ECFVG. (~$6000) Which is expensive and strenuous. The PAVE is a little more than 800, when you add in all the extra registering costs, it's about 1200.
Last edited:
Just curious to those who have applied and interviewed. How long after you sent in your application were you contacted for an interview. Has anyone not been granted an interview?
I submitted my application in early Sept and interviewed in mid October and accepted on Nov 2 via telephone.
One more question to those accepted to Ross-
for the passport size photo you have to upload, did you use a standard
passport photo (white background, etc) or did you just crop
a photo you already had on your computer?
I am not sure what to do.
I just took a picture myself and uploaded it. I used a white background but I didn't worry about cropping just made sure it was small enough to upload within their guidelines.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just took a picture myself and uploaded it. I used a white background but I didn't worry about cropping just made sure it was small enough to upload within their guidelines.
Thanks that is exactly what I am doing.
They are still accepting for May, they just sent me an email.
I am hoping my 2 LOR people get it done quick.
I just cut and pasted a photo I had onto Word, then sent it off.
Yep... someone just posted this to facebook. http://www.rossu.edu/news/News-Brief-RUSVM-Receives-Full-Accreditation-by-the-American-Veterinary-Medical-Association.cfm?grp_id=9
I just checked the AVMA website to figure out what it actually meant to be accredited haha. SOOO EXCITING!!!!! How lucky are we to be coming in at this time!!!!
So from my 2 minute research, now Ross graduates will only have to take the NAVLE and state board exams? No longer the PAVE?
I think that's what it means. Congrats Ross!!
So from my 2 minute research, now Ross graduates will only have to take the NAVLE and state board exams? No longer the PAVE?
I think that's what it means. Congrats Ross!!
Live in the tropics AND be fully accredited? I think it just got a million times harder to get into Ross!!!
Congrats, Ross!
I'm curious what that's going to mean for acceptance rates and tuition costs.
That's exactly what I was thinking.I'm curious what that's going to mean for acceptance rates and tuition costs.
Does this mean more and more people with lower stats will be accepted to vet school? What does that mean for us?
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Does this mean more and more people with lower stats will be accepted to vet school? What does that mean for us?
I was assuming it would make Ross more competitive. And expensive, if that's possible.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
Does this mean more and more people with lower stats will be accepted to vet school? What does that mean for us?
Every school has to maintain a certain pass rate. I don't remember the details, but it wsa one of the early accreditation issues with Ross.
I was assuming it would make Ross more competitive. And expensive, if that's possible.
Where does Ross fall in terms of cost compared to Penn, Western, Cornell?
So, what does this mean for Ross students? Will they automatically be qualified to practice in the US? Would they still need to be tested separately?
How does Ross differ from US Schools now?
How does Ross differ from US Schools now?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, what does this mean for Ross students? Will they automatically be qualified to practice in the US? Would they still need to be tested separately?
How does Ross differ from US Schools now?
I'm assuming it means they can practice with NAVLE & state boards, like students in the other AVMA accredited schools.
by now, if you mean post AVMA, I *think* it may be the only accredited profit school. I'm not an expert on ross, though.
There were a couple LA times articles in the fall of last year concerning federal loans and funding for students that go to "for profit" schools. I DO NOT know much on the subject but I know I would be concerned if I was considering a for-profit school and I would probably look into it more. Again....I DO NOT have any more facts on the subject than these articles and I don't want to discourage anyone. I am posting in the spirit of helpfulness so people are aware of what they are getting into because according to the second article there are new regulations set to go into effect in July. I'm not sure if this will affect federal aid. All in all, student loans are scary obscure things to me. The good news is.....these regulations are meant to stop the inflating amount of debt student of for-profit schools are forced to take on and they are meant to increase the quality of education they receive.
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/16/business/la-fi-for-profit-colleges-20100816
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/29/nation/la-na-colleges-profit-20101029
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/aug/16/business/la-fi-for-profit-colleges-20100816
http://articles.latimes.com/2010/oct/29/nation/la-na-colleges-profit-20101029
Where does Ross fall in terms of cost compared to Penn, Western, Cornell?
Penn and Cornell are honestly not on my radar.
There's Western.
http://www.westernu.edu/financial-budgets-veterinary
And Ross.
http://www.rossu.edu/veterinary-school/documents/VetRates1011.pdf
Although I'm guessing it was a rhetorical question to prove some point?
Ross is cheaper than some in-state schools! Way cheaper than Western or Cornell
Ross is cheaper than some in-state schools! Way cheaper than Western or Cornell
Cheaper for the actual value?
Or do you feel like the education and opportunities are comparable between Western, Cornell, Penn and Ross?
I was just speaking in terms of $$$...as in tuition. I was just suprised to check out the link you posted since I read some comments about it being expensive. My in-state is over 30k. 🙁
I don't know anything about opportunities at Ross or Cornell or what their curriculm is like so I would not be qualified to compare "value of education"
I don't know anything about opportunities at Ross or Cornell or what their curriculm is like so I would not be qualified to compare "value of education"
Last edited:
Although I'm guessing it was a rhetorical question to prove some point?
No, not at all. I'm just curious as to where it falls on the cost spectrum. My reason for not recommending Ross were three fold; AVMA accred, high drop out rates, cost. So I am sincerly curious where it ranks in COA compared to the other vet schools.
This is somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know if Ross uses multiple survival surgeries as part of its teaching curriculum? I know they do survival surgeries, and that since 2009 they no longer do terminal surgeries. I haven't find any more information, however.
😵
wow. Thats all I have to say about the post before TTs. Also, I think you meant "American Veterinary Association"
I would also probably argue that amongst the American veterinary schools there are vast differences so I wouldn't say Ross is no different than American schools as a whole. It is now just accredited the same as any American school.
I'm guessing you go to Ross, if so congratulations!
I would also probably argue that amongst the American veterinary schools there are vast differences so I wouldn't say Ross is no different than American schools as a whole. It is now just accredited the same as any American school.
I'm guessing you go to Ross, if so congratulations!
This is somewhat off-topic, but does anyone know if Ross uses multiple survival surgeries as part of its teaching curriculum? I know they do survival surgeries, and that since 2009 they no longer do terminal surgeries. I haven't find any more information, however.
In 7th semester, before we leave for our clinical year, I think we perform a spay or neuter on a sheep, a donkey and a dog. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that those are the three from talking with my 5th semester orientation leader.
As for the quality of the education, I certainly wouldn't have enrolled if I felt that I was receiving a subpar education. Particularly not for $45,000/year. If anything the extra surgical experience was a huge draw for me.
No, not at all. I'm just curious as to where it falls on the cost spectrum. My reason for not recommending Ross were three fold; AVMA accred, high drop out rates, cost. So I am sincerly curious where it ranks in COA compared to the other vet schools.
Yeah. Those were, more or less, my reasons for not giving Ross a serious consideration while planning for applications next year. When I really crunched the numbers after your last post, I was surprised that it wasn't as prohibitively expensive as word of mouth would have us believe.
There is a definite stigma about the school too, regardless of what the reality actually is. That might be amplified a bit in Pennsylvania, with so many VMD's, but it seems to be a standard impression that Ross students are slightly below par from the average stateside student.
Again, not saying that it's accurate, just that it exists.
Any Ross students or others have any thought?
I was assuming it would make Ross more competitive. And expensive, if that's possible.
But Ross also graduates three classes of veterinarians per year, versus the one class per year in US schools, so even if being fully accredited makes the school more competitive to get in to, statistically speaking it would still be easier to get a spot in a class. That's the way I understand it at least, correct me if I'm wrong
(Not trying to insult anyone by using the word "competitive", there are Ross transfers in my class who are amazing and you can tell they've had a good education thus far)
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But Ross also graduates three classes of veterinarians per year, versus the one class per year in US schools, so even if being fully accredited makes the school more competitive to get in to, statistically speaking it would still be easier to get a spot in a class. That's the way I understand it at least, correct me if I'm wrong
(Not trying to insult anyone by using the word "competitive", there are Ross transfers in my class who are amazing and you can tell they've had a good education thus far)
I definitely wasn't trying to imply that I thought having Ross raise admission standards would be a good thing at all.
I'm actually pretty glad that there is a school out there where you have a shot with a slightly less competitive GPA, GRE or experience. Especially when being 'competitive' is very often a function of your income.
It seems like education that meets a basic standard, hopefully demonstrated by the AVMA accreditation, becomes more about the student than the school.
So, in that respect, I'm very glad Ross is out there as an option.
Ross is no different than a US school now, except you finish your degree faster and you live in the Carribean.
There is a difference between state, private, and non vs for profit schools. It may not make the actual education component different (I don't know) but presuming that it isn't a major difference in how the school is operated doesn't make sense.
I'm actually pretty glad that there is a school out there where you have a shot with a slightly less competitive GPA, GRE or experience. Especially when being 'competitive' is very often a function of your income.
👍 Life happens, I've always felt the island schools provided an oppurtunity for folks determined to prove themselves.
I know really great vets from Ross, and really terrible ones....but I can say the same about Cornell and Penn and NCSU and Purdue. The best will be the ones that use the oppurtunities as well as they can and continue growing, developing, and learning beyond school.
There is a definite stigma about the school too, regardless of what the reality actually is. That might be amplified a bit in Pennsylvania, with so many VMD's, but it seems to be a standard impression that Ross students are slightly below par from the average stateside student.
Again, not saying that it's accurate, just that it exists.
Any Ross students or others have any thought?
I have a very definite opinion about that, and it's that Ross's educational component is on par with or superior to that of state schools. There is, of course, the fact that we acquire more surgical experience prior to our clinical year than some vet students in the states will in their entire education. There's also the fact that the AVMA CoE, in their reports during their previous communications with Ross throughout the accreditation process, have stressed that the educational component was not a part of their decision to deny accreditation in previous years. In fact, they were extremely impressed with the quality of education that Ross students receive.
We continually get feedback from our affiliated universities in the states that Ross students are beyond prepared for clinical rotations, and Ross student pass rates on the NAVLE are comparable with UC Davis (mid-90s).
Honestly, the only reason Ross has a reputation for providing a subpar education is because they accept some of the lower GPA pre-vet students. Anyone who actually has knowledge of the program begs to differ.
In 7th semester, before we leave for our clinical year, I think we perform a spay or neuter on a sheep, a donkey and a dog. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that those are the three from talking with my 5th semester orientation leader.
That's awesome. I'm really glad that practice has been phased out.
As for the quality of the education, I certainly wouldn't have enrolled if I felt that I was receiving a subpar education. Particularly not for $45,000/year. If anything the extra surgical experience was a huge draw for me.
When I really crunched the numbers after your last post, I was surprised that it wasn't as prohibitively expensive as word of mouth would have us believe.
Just to be clear about the tuition - on its webpage, Ross lists tuition by semester - roughly 15k for each of the the first 7 semesters, and then 18k for the last three. Are there 2 or 3 semesters per year? Is the $45k just the cost of tuition, or of tuition plus living expenses?